Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Map question for y'all.

View attachment 623125
Does anyone know that name of this big peninsula in the Russian far east I've highlighted in red? Does it even have a name?

Google and Wikipedia only told me what I already know, which is that the sub-peninsula in the southeast of what's highlighted is the Kamchatka peninsula.
Kamchatka. For extra goof the US was in discussions for the area twice - once in the 1860s and again in the very early 1920s (latter as a lease)

Another utterly cursed (satellite) map, courtesy of u/darwinpatrick from Reddit: Dry Michigan. The author commented that it's easier to add details using Clone Stamp than removing them; hence Chicago being unchanged despite how it would realistically not be a major hub in this scenario, while Mackinaw is altered to be a much larger city here.
qrhylvkg24g61.png

Last edited:
Another utterly cursed (satellite) map, courtesy of u/darwinpatrick from Reddit: Michigan without the Lake. The author commented that it's easier to add details using Clone Stamp than removing them; hence Chicago being unchanged despite how it would realistically not be a major hub in this scenario, while Mackinaw is altered to be a much larger city here.
qrhylvkg24g61.png
image (6) (1).png
Get that unholy abomination, put it in a box shaped like the Kabba, and dump that shit into the largest body of holy water you can find. It's the only way to be sure.

rsbij7mlmja41.png

A map I made ages ago based on a HOI4 game with the Fuhrerreich mod, basically it's a scarier timeline for the USSR.
Lenin lives a few years longer and creates a friendship with Molotov. He then pushes for him to be his successor. Molotov takes over in the late 20s/early 30s and rules with an iron fist until his death in 1986.

I had originally uploaded this to Reddit, but I've since deleted my account and refuse to touch the website.

View attachment 623267

A map I made ages ago based on a HOI4 game with the Fuhrerreich mod, basically it's a scarier timeline for the USSR.
Lenin lives a few years longer and creates a friendship with Molotov. He then pushes for him to be his successor. Molotov takes over in the late 20s/early 30s and rules with an iron fist until his death in 1986.

I had originally uploaded this to Reddit, but I've since deleted my account and refuse to touch the website.
Seems that Caucasia is going to have pretty slanted demographics here. Surprised they didn’t get some of Turkey. And of course Finland and the Scandinavian countries have a few differences. Did you base this map on the countries you set up and supported in that game? Never played it myself, so I imagine game mechanics may have something to do with the borders and naming conventions.

Interesting. I wonder if it would be more plausible if Milan was captured in the war rather than the Austrian Netherlands. Then in the Austrian Succession, the Netherlands was captured and exchanged for Milan during the peace.
Hmmm. 🤔
During the War of the Spanish Succession, France was on the verge of breaking up and was very lucky to finish almost unscathed at the end of the war (the winter of 1709 was a horror).
A War of the French Succession in 1718 would be extremely difficult to carry out because of the aftermath still present in France. Felipe V succeeding in obtaining the whole of France would already be unbelievable.
One way to get around this is to take light PODs during WoSS with a war ending faster and favorably for France and Spain with the Bourbons guarding Milan. Then during the war of French succession Felipe V cedes Milan to Austria and obtains for France the Netherlands and Spain the return of Naples and Sicily. It is a pirouette to arrive at the same situation but in a "realistic" way (and again, England would have to stay away and Austria would have to do anything).

One of the basemaps I used was an older map which had those spellings. I think that the old terms make more sense for the map compared to the modern spellings.
I suspected it in view of the rare faults. You speak French ? Because if it doesn't it makes your work even more incredible.

Thanks. Gimp and Inkscape takes some time to learn, but it gets easier with time as you discover new things making the maps.
I really have to try. But I've been using Paint for almost 8 years and adapting to a new software is really complicated.

Here's a map of the the border between France and the southern Netherlands, which became Austrians, during the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. In this TL, the battle of Oudenaarde unfolded differently: the Duke of Bourgogne was not taken part, which means that there was neither winner nor loser, and the Allies were unable to enter France. Which nevertheless ended up like IOTL in 1713, but with a much smaller rectification of the northern borders of France: it kept Tournai, Ypres and Furnes, but ceded Roeselare and its surroundings to Austria in exchange for Péruwelz and Mouscron, and the Treaty of the Barrier places the Dutch garrisons in Nieuwpoort, Dixmude, Roeselare and Kortrijk.

NB: This map was taken from this "http://ancetresdartois.com/cartes/cartes.htm" site, and I made no more and no less than the modifications on Paint, as well as the legend.

20210208_214127.jpg

Last edited:
Rio Grande Rise right?

I started a similar map of a country based on the same premise, but never got round to completing it.

Yeah, that. :p

He did mention Portugal and slaves, but if all submerged continents he listed were above sea level, it'd be likely that the Americas would be (re-)discovered earlier on, and since there's legends about Mali heading over there... :p

Here's how I'd make some of the places he mentioned turn out, in order of appearance:

Zealandia: settled by Melanesians first, and Polynesians later on; due to how well the Maori did against the British in OTL, I think Zealandia might actually end up becoming a native majority country, while still being under the Commonwealth, not unlike some of the smaller Pacific states.

Kerguelen Plateau: some failed Austronesian attempts at colonization, until the French come knocking. It ends up as some kind of reverse Canada, being a sparsely populated country with a French-speaking majority and an English-speaking region, with a Breton-speaking community in place of Canada's small Gaelic-speaking one.

Walvis Ridge: inhabited by a people not unlike the Khoisan ones very, very early on. They avoid being genocided by one Bantu nation or another due to being on an island, until the Europeans come and wipe out most of them through diseases (at first) and deliberate genocide (later on); basically, the Australia of Africa.

Rockall: I had a stab at it a while ago, it probably ends up being some combination of Celtic and Germanic, most likely Norse-Gael, with genetics not unlike those of the Faroe Islands, but with a culture that takes more after the Brythonic or Goidelic side of the ethnic cocktail.

What's happening in India? Also is the nuclear weapon invented yet?
After Gandhi died in India in 1945 (allegedly of a beating but in reality of poor prison food) the British Indian Army mutinied and now there is a civil war between a united front and the pro-British faction. The nuclear weapon was invented at right around the same time ITTL and was first used to end the invasion of Japan. The US currently has a stockpile of them about the same size as OTL.

You sure you got the Democratic and Republican EC numbers correct in the 1948 election?

Feels like dark blue should be larger than light blue.
Thanks for pointing that out. I will fix that.

What happened in Japan? Also, why do they seem to have only lost Taiwan?
Japan was reconstituted as a republic post-WW2. Korea is actually independent but has the same outline as Japan because it was created from Axis territory.

After Gandhi died in India in 1945 (allegedly of a beating but in reality of poor prison food) the British Indian Army mutinied and now there is a civil war between a united front and the pro-British faction. The nuclear weapon was invented at right around the same time ITTL and was first used to end the invasion of Japan. The US currently has a stockpile of them about the same size as OTL.
Ah. I see. So will the US drop the bomb on Germany as well? Also what happened in Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.