Status
Not open for further replies.
And in His Dark Materials they are boat people (possibly as well as caravan people).
Boat People? Like those quasi-historical Sea People/raiders the Wgyptians wrote about? Or is it more like those Dutchmen called Sea Bandits during their war for independence? Never read the Dark Materials thing. Probably should.

Boat People? Like those quasi-historical Sea People/raiders the Wgyptians wrote about? Or is it more like those Dutchmen called Sea Bandits during their war for independence? Never read the Dark Materials thing. Probably should.

Actually, they live on riverboats.

I don't know how much you like Pullman's works, but I quite like the series. (Not read any of his other stuff, though.) It has steampunk, and airships, and bears, oh my... :biggrin:

a thing [kickass].png

most controversy has been fixed

Last edited:
Seriously, every controversy has NOT been fixed. "commie" is not an okay, any more than "post-colonial Gook state" would be, or "Jap state in Hawaii" would be. It's offensive.

In other news...

Vichy France is nowhere near the Low Countries, either in terms of location or in altitude.

Bear in mind for these next two that "Europe" goes from Iberia to the Urals west-east. It's not just as far as the Russian border, a view I suspect was created by some badly-labelled atlases in the past and a political ideology of doing anything that might help to "other" the USSR.

The header labelled "NE Europe" is actually covering an area approximating north-central Europe. NE Europe would be something like Finland plus the north half of Russia.

The header labelled "SW Europe" is actually covering an area approximating south-central Europe. SW Europe would be something like Iberia and maybe Italy and southern France.

Separate colours for Bosnia and Herzegovina? So which one will you be using for the OTL federal state? Wars have literally been fought over this issue.

"north Persian state" is a bit of a weird label. "Persians" is an exonym that has only ever been used historically to refer to the dominant people of the state occupying OTL modern Iran (plus various other areas at various times). It derives from the specific language they spoke (Farsi). "Iranian" is the endonym used by those people, and also the name used to refer to that ethnic group in a wider context. Using "Persia" in the context you have is a bit like saying "post-Colonial Cathayan state in Bharat". It is technically understandable, but "post-colonial Chinese state in India" would be better in context.

"unturkish" (and other un-things): That's just bad Engrish.

The little pictures in each header rock btw.

Seriously, every controversy has NOT been fixed. "commie" is not an okay, any more than "post-colonial Gook state" would be, or "Jap state in Hawaii" would be. It's offensive.

In other news...

Vichy France is nowhere near the Low Countries, either in terms of location or in altitude.

Bear in mind for these next two that "Europe" goes from Iberia to the Urals west-east. It's not just as far as the Russian border, a view I suspect was created by some badly-labelled atlases in the past and a political ideology of doing anything that might help to "other" the USSR.

The header labelled "NE Europe" is actually covering an area approximating north-central Europe. NE Europe would be something like Finland plus the north half of Russia.

The header labelled "SW Europe" is actually covering an area approximating south-central Europe. SW Europe would be something like Iberia and maybe Italy and southern France.

Separate colours for Bosnia and Herzegovina? So which one will you be using for the OTL federal state? Wars have literally been fought over this issue.

"north Persian state" is a bit of a weird label. "Persians" is an exonym that has only ever been used historically to refer to the dominant people of the state occupying OTL modern Iran (plus various other areas at various times). It derives from the specific language they spoke (Farsi). "Iranian" is the endonym used by those people, and also the name used to refer to that ethnic group in a wider context. Using "Persia" in the context you have is a bit like saying "post-Colonial Cathayan state in Bharat". It is technically understandable, but "post-colonial Chinese state in India" would be better in context.

I understand that you feel your personal political ideology isn't being appropriately represented but that is not the same thing as an ethnic slur. Please stop posting ethnic slurs to draw non-existent comparisons between the two. You were not born a Communist.

Just another addition to the Kingdom of Normandy one – The Duchy of Calais

The Duchy of Calais came under control of the Kingdom of England following the decline of the French Crown. With England coming into control over southern France through inheritance a few years shy of 1200 France found itself slowly being pulled apart. Normandy had gone in 1066 and now a large section of southern France. This was more of a problem for the French King as the Nobles found themselves in a better situation, being more able to take advantage of the situation to strengthen themselves rather than the realm. In 1220 The French King Louis VIII attempted to regain its lost land, launching an attack into Normandy. In short the war with Normandy and England on one side and the French on the other ended badly for the French. They were forced to give up more land to the Norman’s who wanted to secure their control over the Loire River and the English would eventually gain control over the area which became the Duchy of Calais following the treaty of Boulogne

The region became heavily important to the English economy being a hub for trade with the continent. Over the years English and Flemish became the main languages of the area as French was phased out slowly, with only the southern nobles using the tongue. The cities of Calais [which became Callay] and Dunkerque [which became Dunkirk] would grow in size quickly in the late 1400’s as they became home to a large Jewish quarter following the religious laws of the Holy Roman Empire made life difficult for many. The Duchy would be one of the first to embrace the change of Christianity in 1432, Henri Calvin moved to St. Omer following his fleeing from the Frankish Princes of the Holy Roman Empire as he his views of religious reform were seen as Heresy by the Pope. It would become a hub for the Royalists during the English Civil War from 1555-1587 acting as a place of safe refuge for Royalists during the Brief reign of the Republicans [1582-87].

The Duchy was eventually transferred back to the crown in 1658 prompting parliament to act with a new land reformation scheme which would create separate regions for Calais, Dunkirk and Newport relocating the Capital to St. Omer in 1661. The area became home to a mix of cultures from across Europe such as the Scottish who were relocated to the area when they served in the Royal Navy at bases in Pannes and Wissant.

Today the area is home to a thriving Tourist industry as well as having one of the busiest ports in Europe. The University of Alveringham [Founded in 1408] being in the top 10 in the countries table. The people of Calais have their own distinct dialect, Callay-English, to the mainland being a mix of English and Flemish with loan words from across the European Language.

I9LnswD.png

I understand that you feel your personal political ideology isn't being appropriately represented but that is not the same thing as an ethnic slur. Please stop posting ethnic slurs to draw non-existent comparisons between the two. You were not born a Communist.

The only ethnic slurs I used as examples (all three; the two in the last post and the one in the previous post) are ones that have been used against me personally. And I was using them in an academic sense to demonstrate what a slur is, not as an attack on anyone. There is an important distinction to be made between using slurs and talking about slurs.

In any case, I am not a communist. That doesn't stop me from objecting to slurs being used in that way.

The only ethnic slurs I used as examples (all three; the two in the last post and the one in the previous post) are ones that have been used against me personally. And I was using them in an academic sense to demonstrate what a slur is, not as an attack on anyone. There is an important distinction to be made between using slurs and talking about slurs.

In any case, I am not a communist. That doesn't stop me from objecting to slurs being used in that way.
Apologies for making assumptions about your political beliefs then. In any case, let's move this discussion over here so as not to take up space:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/slurs-from-ethnicities-to-ideologies.396967/

most controversy has been fixed

Just a thought, maybe add an Iazyge/ASB Barbarian state when you put in Persia.

I personally don't really thing being called a "Commie" is the same as being called a "N" (Won't say the word cuz I don't wanna get jumped). Just use discretion, it's a map key.

Also, I agree with everyone else saying the pictures are awesome.

In other news...

You aren't born a communist.

And slurs depends on the context being used. Obviously it wasn't intended to be a slur, just a label. Saying the « N » word depends whether you are part of the African-American community or not and the context being used.

Just a thought, maybe add an Iazyge/ASB Barbarian state when you put in Persia.

I personally don't really thing being called a "Commie" is the same as being called a "N" (Won't say the word cuz I don't wanna get jumped). Just use discretion, it's a map key.

Also, I agree with everyone else saying the pictures are awesome.

The trouble is that it's a blanket term: labeling a whole nation "commies" is like labeling WWII Germany as "Nazi scum." (Now Stalin, he was a Dirty Commie. :) )

The trouble is that it's a blanket term: labeling a whole nation "commies" is like labeling WWII Germany as "Nazi scum." (Now Stalin, he was a Dirty Commie. :) )

And slurs depends on the context being used. Obviously it wasn't intended to be a slur, just a label. Saying the « N » word depends whether you are part of the African-American community or not and the context being used.

I won't make any claims as to how offensive "Commie" is, but "Communist" is only three letters longer and is much more politically correct, not to mention professional.
How about we call them Com. Russia? Everyone would know what it means and it's even shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.