Status
Not open for further replies.
An OTL map. :) West Africa in 1200 AD! I probably got a couple things wrong, especially regarding the placement of the city states, but I hope for it to be a good reference if people need one.

west_africa_in_1200_ce_by_upvoteanthology-dae5q46.png

An OTL map. :) West Africa in 1200 AD! I probably got a couple things wrong, especially regarding the placement of the city states, but I hope for it to be a good reference if people need one.

I'm wondering where you get your information on what states existed at this time? I've never heard (not that I can remember) of the Soso kingdom or Diafunu, and I'm curious as to your sources.

I'm wondering where you get your information on what states existed at this time? I've never heard (not that I can remember) of the Soso kingdom or Diafunu, and I'm curious as to your sources.
People don't really talk about the first one much. They weren't anything special. Just so-so.

Well, I mostly used this collection to get the more obscure names, but also used other random sources to check twice. I made the base for this something like 3 months ago, so I'm afraid I can't point you to the exact maps outside of the ones in that collection.

frankly, it doesn't really ever get better. My knowledge of what was around in Nigeria during the early 1880s for example is drawn near exclusively from a couple of maps in German. Needless to say trying to interpret 19th Century German renditions of native African names is... difficult.

frankly, it doesn't really ever get better. My knowledge of what was around in Nigeria during the early 1880s for example is drawn near exclusively from a couple of maps in German. Needless to say trying to interpret 19th Century German renditions of native African names is... difficult.

Well, for example on this map (which predates the discovery that the Mountains of Kong did not exist), identifying the 'Aschanti' 'Dahome' or 'Wadai' is essentially straightforward. There's a little more difficulty with matching 'Wassallah' to the Wassoulou Empire, or 'Saria/Segseg' to the Sultanate of Zaria, and the less said about the Djuku/Wukari or what on earth is going on in 'Bolo-Bolo' the better.

A very, very, very, very old and simple map of mine. As far as I can remember, there was never a backstory behind it, I was just really interested in the idea of an independent Nubia. And considering how old and simple the map is, I'm still rather fond of it. Hence why I decided to post it up here :)

sovreign_republic_of_nubia_by_soaringaven-d7r4grk.png

btw about Japan
I missed the moment when she gained independence and united. As I understand she is a part of the Thai union?
It more or less coincided with the fall of the USSA. When the Americans withdrew and things went sideways for a bit the Chinese and Russians moved into to stabilise matters then let her go on her own way. Japan is now part of the Hue group, but the North still feels stronger ties to Russia and Korea. Efforts to unify the Hue group with the Pan-Eurasian Economic Community has been strongly pushed by Korea, Japan, Bangladesh, Singapore, and Cambodia. Getting the two largest economies on earth into one trade zone is appealing, but also takes a lot of negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.