Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teshuvah

Banned
Crossposted from my Deviantart:

A little idea I've had in my head for awhile now.

Basically, since marijuana legalization is eventually going to happen, I got to wondering: what will the purchase age be? In all 4 states it's currently legal in it's 21, to align with the drinking age, but as the drinking age was historically a states' rights issue, marijuana purchase age will likely be a states' rights issue in the future as well. Briefly here's the background:

In 2025, the US legalized marijuana nationwide. All states that chose to sell it (selling in all states was not mandated until mid-century) set their purchase ages at 21, as it was the drinking age at the time. However, the US lowered its drinking age from 21 to 19 in 2047, leading most states to lower their marijuana purchase ages to that age as well. The exceptions are as follows:

Alabama: Set at 21 in 2041; lowered to 20 in 2050.

Alaska: Set at 21 in 2016; lowered to 19 in 2050, lowered to 18 in 2067, and lowered to 16 in 2080.

Arizona: Set at 21 in 2019; lowered to 19 in 2049 and 18 in 2055.

Delaware: Set at 21 in 2026; lowered to 20 in 2047.

Hawaii: Set at 21 in 2024; lowered to 19 in 2048, and lowered to 17 in 2071.

Idaho: Set at 21 in 2040; never lowered.

Kansas: Set at 21 in 2046; never lowered.

Louisiana: Set at 21 in 2040; lowered to 19 in 2051 and 18 in 2081.

Mississippi: Set at 21 in 2050; never lowered.

Missouri: Set at 21 in 2018; lowered to 20 in 2049.

New Hampshire: Set at 21 in 2029; lowered to 19 in 2049 and 18 in 2057.

Oklahoma: Set at 21 in 2039; never lowered.

South Carolina: Set at 21 in 2033; lowered to 19 in 2047, raised back up to 21 in 2060. Only state to lower and then raise its marijuana purchase age.

Utah: Set at 21 in 2051; never lowered. Last state to authorize retail marijuana sales.

West Virginia: Set at 21 in 2042; lowered to 20 in 2053.

Vermont: Set at 21 in 2017; lowered to 19 in 2052, lowered to 18 in 2073, and lowered to 16 in 2095. Most recent state to lower their purchase age.

marijuana_purchase_age_by_us_state__2100_ce_by_mapmakermapmaker-d97wxeg.png

Work in progress of my Second Spanish Civil War/ Euro-Spanish War Map.

Based around 1980's.

Pink Zone are the Communist resurgences following tensions between them and the Fascist Governments. Blue Zones are those of the early invasion of Spain by the European Commonwealth. Comments welcome.

Nice, but placing the resistence movements in the Duero Valley and in the deeply conservative regions of northern Spain between Valladolid and Burgos are not terribly realistic. León-Asturias however does provide the terrain and the ideological seeds for it work. Communist revolts in Sierra Morena or in the mountains of Granada would make much better regions for communist activity.

Nice, but placing the resistence movements in the Duero Valley and in the deeply conservative regions of northern Spain between Valladolid and Burgos are not terribly realistic. León-Asturias however does provide the terrain and the ideological seeds for it work. Communist revolts in Sierra Morena or in the mountains of Granada would make much better regions for communist activity.

Thank you for your help it was greatly needed. So you would say keep the communist movements around Leon but change the other one to around Granada?

Orsino

Banned
WIP, map of a world showing biomes and mountains ranges. I don't know how realistic it is but criticism would be welcome.

worldbiomesfinal.png

German Democratic Republic and its districts (Bezirke) between 1952 and 1990.

After a WWII, where Nazi-German aggression on Poland/ Poles were WAY less brutal than OTL (No destruction of Warsaw, no gassing of non-jewish Poles, etc.) (Germans could keep most of Pomerania, Eastern Brandenburg and the left Oder-bank of Lower Silesia. (And even one little rest of West Prussia; the old Landkreis Deutsch Krone)) and the Soviets were also not that strong as OTL. (Thuringia and (most of) Saxony go to the US-occupation zone, Saxony-Anhalt and the western half of Mecklenburgian Landkreis Hagenow become part of the British occupation zone - these Areas become Part of Western Germany - The Realm Republic of Germany (Reichsrepublik Deutschland))

Poland, in this TL, can keep/gets back Lwów and a few areas of what is in OTL western Belarus.

20150925 DDR    Bezirke beschr..png

WIP, map of a world showing biomes and mountains ranges. I don't know how realistic it is but criticism would be welcome.
It really bugs me how the continent on the edge is cut off like that even though it doesn't need to be.

But at the same time, I realize how hard it probably is to change that short of just cutting that bit out.

Dorozhand

Banned
In a hurry so I can't explain a lot. Really wanted to post it though.

WIP of a world in the year 750, somewhat similar to the one posted by B Munro a few pages ago.
One POD is that Emperor Majorian successfully reconquers Africa from the Vandals and avoids getting
assassinated by any barbarian generals. There is a major cleaning out and reorganization of the
Western Empire's administration and bureaucracy and successful reconstitution of much of the
Empire's former domains in Majorian the Great's long and fruitful reign. Towards the end of his reign,
he drives the Franks entirely back across the Rhine and mounts an expedition into Alemannia which
subdues them.

Another somewhat earlier POD is that, during the Western Jin Dynasty, a Chinese sailor ends up
discovering the Americas in a way roughly reminiscent of the semi-legendary voyage to Fusang. The
event was otherwise unremarkable and the crew died soon after landing. As it happens, however, the
ship was carrying horses which were allowed to escape. After a few centuries, they had spread to the
American plains where their use was adopted by the Shoshone peoples, who develop a horse-riding
culture. They also spread to Mesoamerica and the Mississippi basin, where they were domesticated
and revolutionized agriculture.

In Mesoamerica, the Zapotec have built a centralized empire whose capital is now at the conquered
Teotihuacan.

The Hephthalites also conquer the aging Sassanid Empire, adopting much Iranian culture and spreading
Buddhism to the west.

Also the Maya developed a shipbuilding culture and have colonized around the Gulf of Mexico. This has
brought Maya influence to the developing Mississippian civilization and will help the Maya to deal with
the population fluctuations of Yucatan agriculture which in OTL contributed to their decline.

I will explain more later but for now here it is:

Hephthalitesw3.png

Hephthalitesw3.png

Last edited:
I'm Back from the Unnoticeable Dead

Continuing with my map series - the continent of North America in 1989...

759Oiz8.png

What a beaut!

I've got an idea about Communists of the very early post-Great War world, especially Europe. So the current POD's are:
The Czechoslovak Legions don't rebel against the Bolsheviks in early 1918, therefore allowing the Bolsheviks to further secure their grip upon Central Eurasia and Southern Siberia.
Eisner of the Bavarian Council Republic is assassinated sooner, but not too long after the government was established. Leviné siezes power and forms a Red Army for Bavaria.
Later on, the Hungarian Soviet Republic will avoid conflict with the Romanians and State of Croats, Serbs, and Slovenes.
What y'all think?

SovietWank.png

Hmm, pretty good. The thing I can most compliment you on is a semi realistic looking set of continents and distribution. They're obviously quite fantasy-esque but they straddle the line between fantasy driven and real very well. One thing on that point though. The very most northern and southern row of the map is a single point on the earth, the poles. So as stuff get's closer to it (I mean very close, like, within a pixel or two) they have to spread out to cover the whole of the top/bottom of the map. Go here to look at the Tissot's indicatrix and see the deformation of shapes by the standard robinson basemap. This is an issue for both of your poles.

I don't have a lot of time right now so I can't really dig into the wind currents and stuff to really analyze things like your deserts so I'll leave most of that for now.
Mediterranean climates don't hug coasts as closely as you have them there. In fact they don't have to be coastal at all. They're the mostly warm mostly dryish places.
Oceanic kelp forests are actually a really latitudinal thing. They have a few other factors but they pretty much occur within two belts equal distances above and below the equator.
Besides that, your mountain ranges are all quite narrow. This seems like it's probably a stylistic thing because they're all very reminiscent of fantasy mountains so it doesn't bother me much. Nice map.

That is gorgeous :)
The rather "otherworldly" biomes are great - I love the bamboo and stratified canopy forests. I assume "snowforest" is basically taïga?

In a hurry so I can't explain a lot. Really wanted to post it though...

Looks awesome! :D
Looking forward to seeing the finished product and more of the scenario.

Does anyone recall the incredibly awesome 90 degree turned earth worlda like map that was in one of the Map Threads awhile back? That map was amazing but I haven't been able to find it again. Or does anyone know who the maker of the map is?

Thank you for your help it was greatly needed. So you would say keep the communist movements around Leon but change the other one to around Granada?

I think the best way for you to add the communist guerrillas is to take a look at the main mountainous areas (there are quite a few) and cross them with areas of rural radicalism/mining. Since it appears that Spain is a fascist regime you won't have the working class of Madrid or Barcelona revolting, or much of a guerrilla in the mountains north of Madrid because it's too important to hodl them otherwise connecting Madrid to the north becomes hard.

So, look at areas like Sierra Morena, the Betican and Penibetican systems in the south-east, indeed the mining regions of León and Asturias and so. But keep in mind that northern and especially north-western Spain tends to be fairly conservative, so if you have a rebellion there you might need to think as to why that came to happen.

I'd love to give you some maps but atm I can't :/

Orsino

Banned
Hmm, pretty good. The thing I can most compliment you on is a semi realistic looking set of continents and distribution. They're obviously quite fantasy-esque but they straddle the line between fantasy driven and real very well. One thing on that point though. The very most northern and southern row of the map is a single point on the earth, the poles. So as stuff get's closer to it (I mean very close, like, within a pixel or two) they have to spread out to cover the whole of the top/bottom of the map. Go here to look at the Tissot's indicatrix and see the deformation of shapes by the standard robinson basemap. This is an issue for both of your poles.

I don't have a lot of time right now so I can't really dig into the wind currents and stuff to really analyze things like your deserts so I'll leave most of that for now.
Mediterranean climates don't hug coasts as closely as you have them there. In fact they don't have to be coastal at all. They're the mostly warm mostly dryish places.
Oceanic kelp forests are actually a really latitudinal thing. They have a few other factors but they pretty much occur within two belts equal distances above and below the equator.
Besides that, your mountain ranges are all quite narrow. This seems like it's probably a stylistic thing because they're all very reminiscent of fantasy mountains so it doesn't bother me much. Nice map.
Very interesting feedback that gives me some stuff to work on , thank you. Although the "aquaforests" on the map aren't intended to be OTL kelp but rather an algae that fills a similar sort of niche on a grander scale.

NikoZnate said:
That is gorgeous
The rather "otherworldly" biomes are great - I love the bamboo and stratified canopy forests. I assume "snowforest" is basically taïga?
Thanks, snowforest is indeed taïga, which on this world is present in both the northern and southern hemispheres.

German Democratic Republic and its districts (Bezirke) between 1952 and 1990.

After a WWII, where Nazi-German aggression on Poland/ Poles were WAY less brutal than OTL (No destruction of Warsaw, no gassing of non-jewish Poles, etc.) (Germans could keep most of Pomerania, Eastern Brandenburg and the left Oder-bank of Lower Silesia. (And even one little rest of West Prussia; the old Landkreis Deutsch Krone)) and the Soviets were also not that strong as OTL. (Thuringia and (most of) Saxony go to the US-occupation zone, Saxony-Anhalt and the western half of Mecklenburgian Landkreis Hagenow become part of the British occupation zone - these Areas become Part of Western Germany - The Realm Republic of Germany (Reichsrepublik Deutschland))

Poland, in this TL, can keep/gets back Lwów and a few areas of what is in OTL western Belarus.

I do like myself some alternate GDRs... Even though the division of Hagenow is a bit random and I'm not a fan of West Germany's alternate name. But good job anyway ^^

I think the best way for you to add the communist guerrillas is to take a look at the main mountainous areas (there are quite a few) and cross them with areas of rural radicalism/mining. Since it appears that Spain is a fascist regime you won't have the working class of Madrid or Barcelona revolting, or much of a guerrilla in the mountains north of Madrid because it's too important to hodl them otherwise connecting Madrid to the north becomes hard.

So, look at areas like Sierra Morena, the Betican and Penibetican systems in the south-east, indeed the mining regions of León and Asturias and so. But keep in mind that northern and especially north-western Spain tends to be fairly conservative, so if you have a rebellion there you might need to think as to why that came to happen.

I'd love to give you some maps but atm I can't :/

Thank you so much that has helped me a great deal. This map is part of a time when Nuclear Weapons arn't invented so I went with the USSR being a little more aggressive as they don't fear too much of an American retaliation. Obviously they won't openly invade western Europe for example but they do have a bigger play when it comes to supporting Global Communist groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.