Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dutch world in 1835.

That's not a Dutch world (sorry, have to do this every new map thread); this is a Dutch World!.. in 1917....

AHN Mk2, 1917.PNG

So you are going to actually make this into a timeline? It be great if you are!

That's the plan. I have only north America relatively figured out, and I have... plans for the Nordic.

Interesting. I'm surprised that Oregon and Desert are a federal union of sorts, and that Coulmbia is seperate from Canada.

Oregon is mostly settled by Mormon ITTL. Deseret was the first Mormon state, and it was left fairly alone because the USA here was much more isolationist and didn't have any manifest destiny concept. Oregon followed later, and while the British didn't really approve things eventually quieted down. The two states eventually joined into one.

As for the Canadian Provinces, I could see a division similar to what was seen in Decades of Darkness happening.

I'm not familiar with that. I guess I'll have to check it out.

As for the Columbian Provinces, I think you would better off getting rid of the provinces all together and just have Columbia be a unitary state due to how much larger B.C.'s population would be in comparison to Alaska and the Yukon's. Of course, I think it be much more likely for Columbia to join Canada, but I guess I'll have to wait for the TL to find out why it didn't. ;)

Columbia actually left Canada in protest over feeling neglected by the government and them not wanting to be as subservient to Britain as the Canadian state was.

I wasn't sure on the provinces either actually. I don't know, maybe I should drop them.

This is a map of a world without WWII. There are also other subtle differences - for example, communism wasn't nearly as popular in Russia during the revolution. The USSR barely lasted a decade before falling apart again (also due to the fact that this USSR tried to hold onto Poland and Finland in their entirety).

The Ottoman Empire never entered WWI, so the war was won without US help (unless I'm overestimating how much the Turkish involvement held back the Brits). As such, there was never a bond formed between the US and Europe on the same level as OTL.

Decolonisation was a slower and steadier process. You can see the massive Federation of the Sahel - a state formed out of ex-French and British colonies in West Africa (also a French puppet until further notice), and the Republic of Southern Africa, which came to be when the British periodically unloaded their colonies onto South Africa. Mozambique was dragged into the mix after a Portuguese economic crisis (the sale of Mozambique however did not hinder the Portuguese empire too much).

Italy is something of an overseas exerter ITTL as well; they granted Somalia independence but only after making them more or less an Italian protectorate - the Italians did similar things to Tunisia and Yemen.

ITTL India was also granted independence more gradually and after a resolution was formed between the Hindu and Muslim leaders. India is far richer and more stable than OTL, and even has a sort of 'empire' in the Indian Ocean. They also took Somaliland off of Britain's hands during the 60s.

Afghanistan and Madagascar are the two major war zones in this world. However Mexico is a bit of a player here too - unlike in OTL, Mexico's internal instability was remedied relatively early through American and European advisory. While Mexico is by no means rich, they are a useful American ally and have their own occupation zone in Afghanistan.

Without WWII, Japan was able to hang onto their empire. They also avoided the distastrous invasion of China that occurred in OTL after a much more thorough communist revolution (where the Russians failed, the Chinese succeeded). Currently the bulk of the Japanese military is stuck in Northern Korea trying to put down a Chinese-backed communist revolt.

Britain still retains much of their colonial empire in the Americas - the Falklands are still a sore spot for the 'crude colonial empire in decline' :)D), however all of their remaining colonies in Africa and mainland America have self-government. The Bahamas voted to join the USA in a referendum.

Edit: Oh, if you're wondering about Germany and Austria, the split is an ill-fated attempt at Anschluss - despite the Italians massing on their border with Austria, the German revanchist party (be they Nazis or something less sinister) attempted the invasion anyway. This was met with hostility at all angles. Not only did the majority of Austrians oppose the idea, the Italians also invaded (and later annexed Carniola). The end result was a separation of German states - much of *South Germany fused with Austria to become the Unitary Republic of Germany, while the north simply remained a republic with less territory, less voice and less resolve to try again.

The year is 1965. and the world is generally a much more stable place (with the exception of some places, such as the Congo, Madagascar and Afghanistan, and the always-tense nations of Central Africa (Chad, Bornu and the Central African Republic). I probably should have made Ireland independent, but it slipped my mind.

I've probably missed something important, but nevertheless, here's the map:

Without WWII.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.