Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. That was kind of hard to tell considering "modern borders" weren't overlayed. :p

But isn't Dobruja just a little less than half of what Romania had back then anyway, considered Transylvania had been under Austria-Hungary for more than 200 years at the time?

No no no. Dobrudja is about 1/10th of Romanias territory pre-WW1. I think I have a map somewhere to illustrate it for you, I'll edit it in once I find it :)

Ok, here it is:

lHD0K.gif

Yellow is Dobrudja, green is what they got from Austria-Hungary, therefor yellow, red, and blue is Romania pre-WW1. Dobrudja only constitutes a small part of that, and it was the only region that before 1914 had a majority population that wasn't Romanian. If I remember correctly it was a mix of Turkish, Bulgarian, some Germans and some Greeks

I was looking around my hard drive, when I found a few maps I made, but haven't put on here. Here's one of a Far Eastern Roman Empire.

Note, Territories are somewhat akin to French departments, Governates have the independence of a US state, and the relationships between the Protectorates and Roma Occidental is akin to that between Denmark and Greenland.

Rather funky concept, though the oceanic borders mess it up.
Only include where absolutely necessary, and even then avoid diagonal lines unless you have to include them. Keep them short and neat.

No no no. Dobrudja is about 1/10th of Romanias territory pre-WW1. I think I have a map somewhere to illustrate it for you, I'll edit it in once I find it :)

Ok, here it is:

Yellow is Dobrudja, green is what they got from Austria-Hungary, therefor yellow, red, and blue is Romania pre-WW1. Dobrudja only constitutes a small part of that, and it was the only region that before 1914 had a majority population that wasn't Romanian. If I remember correctly it was a mix of Turkish, Bulgarian, some Germans and some Greeks

Okay. Thank you for illustrating it to me. :)

I'm gonna go save the map to use for reference in the future.

Why is Sweden there?

Sweden conquered Russia in during times of troubles IIRC, which gets legit after the Swedish king converts to Russian Orthodox Christiany and reforms it to make it more acceptable to his Swedish subjects. Quite fun situation, a Sweden that stretches up to Lake Baykal.

Sweden conquered Russia in during times of troubles IIRC, which gets legit after the Swedish king converts to Russian Orthodox Christiany and reforms it to make it more acceptable to his Swedish subjects. Quite fun situation, a Sweden that stretches up to Lake Baykal.

Not during the Time of Troubles, but during the Great Northern War; when Peter the Great is killed at Poltava (the Swedish army has more luck with the winter, which enables them to strike closer to the Russians), Karl XII moves north, takes Moscow, and crowns himself Tsar as well as King. Later the huge empire is centralised, with the capital at Stockholm, but an Orthodox state religion (borrowing, or so I presume, greatly from Lutheran practice; otherwise, the bishops in Sweden would revolt), and grants freedom to the Russian serfs.

Actually, the Time of Troubles is second only to the Chinese warlord era in terms of underestimated PoDs. One, which I've always wanted to do, is that of de la Gardie (the Swedish field marshal) being successful in his attempts to install Prince Carl Philip as Tsar of Novgorod.

Maryland: The Paraguay of North America! I like the sound of that... :D

Anyway, I've got one I've been saving for this occasion. Sort of a sequel to this one.

Three thousand years ago, a few bands of wanderers from the Eurasian steppes made a long trek by way of the Gansu Corridor and came to a land that would never be called China. Over time, others followed those first few adventurers, carving out kingdoms for themselves along the Yellow River. Cities burned, armies clashed, generations lived and died. For centuries they warred with the decaying empire of the Shang, until at last the newcomers gained the upper hand. The first kings and conquerors faded into memory and then into myth as their descendants made this land their home, melding with the inhabitants like tin and copper coming together to make bronze--something new, and stronger than either: Heilan.

(coolness snipped)

Very nice! What do the "Asli" kingdoms of SE Asia have in common that they are classified under that designation?

Bruce

Very nice! What do the "Asli" kingdoms of SE Asia have in common that they are classified under that designation?

Bruce

Well, it's a bit of an anachronism, since the name apparently derives from Malay, but I intended them to be Austro-Asiatic speakers who lost out to the Thai and others in OTL. From the Heilanic standpoint, they're basically just "yeah, all those guys who live south of the Yuht," so there's probably a good bit of diversity within that category...

Aww, was working on my first map-not-on-ms-paint ever! And my system crashed. It was a really funny idea if I don't say so myself.

If you would like to make a map for me blindly if you are experienced with non-ms-paint programs, contact me, and I will tell you my idea, and we could perhaps work on it collaboratively.

For the record, I was using Sapiento's guide, which turned out to be extremely easy to follow while still churning out beautiful results. So thanks Sapiento.

Can't remember if I ever posted this or not...

Anyway, basic POD is a CP victory in WWI, but the Austrians make the foolish decision of annexing Serbia outright. What happens is the eventual destruction of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, a Tasrist regime surviving in Kiev, all hell breaking loose in China and a neverending Russian Revolution. Also, a bloodier, messier Mexican Revolution with a US intervention.

1922 - Central Powers victory, Serbian annexation.png

Can't remember if I ever posted this or not...

Anyway, basic POD is a CP victory in WWI, but the Austrians make the foolish decision of annexing Serbia outright. What happens is the eventual destruction of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, a Tasrist regime surviving in Kiev, all hell breaking loose in China and a neverending Russian Revolution. Also, a bloodier, messier Mexican Revolution with a US intervention.

Nice take on the CP victory scenario, but I do have a few questions regarding the map.

What's going on in Africa here? Specifically, why has Britain gained German South-West Africa, and then lost it again to some sort of South African state, and how has the split Congo come about?

Also, what happened to Kaiser Wilhelm's Land? Was there some sort of negotiated peace with Britain, where Britain retained the colonies she captured in return for recognising German hegemony on the continent?

And finally, did Italy join the CP in this scenario? And if not, how did they gain so much Austrian territory in the wake of the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire? I would have expected Germany to at least hang on to South Tyrol, and possibly Trieste, to give themselves a Mediterranean coast.

Does the GBSR hold all of Thrace?

All the way to Constantinople.

I approve of Dutch Turkey.

Er.....

And Turkish Italy, and Greek Poland, and Swedish Ukraine.

Or The Kiat isn't using the T/RCS :p

Speaking of the map itself, what is the capitol of the UBSR? Even if it holds Istanbul I'd image its not there, as that would make it appear to be merely a greater Greece, and making it one of the republics' capitols would do the same thing but Bulgarian or Serbian or etc. Is there a federal district? Or perhaps a purpose built administrative city, à la the US?

It's Belgrade; that's where the Balkan Revolution began, only to be snuffed out and have the embers land in other Balkan cities and ignite.

I wanted to have a 1938-1988 thing for the Map of the Fortnight, but most of the parts of my laptop are wearing out. Meh, they don't make them like they use to.

Nice take on the CP victory scenario, but I do have a few questions regarding the map.

Thanks!

What's going on in Africa here? Specifically, why has Britain gained German South-West Africa, and then lost it again to some sort of South African state, and how has the split Congo come about?

Well, Germany can't beat Britain at sea and would likely turn their resources into their European conquests. To get a favourable peace, they negotiated on colonies.

The Congo split was part of the treaty. Britain wants Cape to Cairo, Germany wants Mittelafrika. The only way Britain was going to be happy was if they held sovereignty over Katanga (they saw it as theirs since Rhodes anyway) and Kivu (since Germany wasn't budging on Ostafrika).

Germany is still able to use transport routes across Kivu however.

As for Sudwest Africa, Britain and South Africa jointly controlled the place post-war, and this was the agreement reached in the end. Britain wants a colony that has access to the sea.

Also, what happened to Kaiser Wilhelm's Land? Was there some sort of negotiated peace with Britain, where Britain retained the colonies she captured in return for recognising German hegemony on the continent?

Australia and NZ captured the German colonies straight away as in OTL. Why would they give them back? Britain holds no power over them.

And finally, did Italy join the CP in this scenario? And if not, how did they gain so much Austrian territory in the wake of the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire? I would have expected Germany to at least hang on to South Tyrol, and possibly Trieste, to give themselves a Mediterranean coast.

They would have had to for the CPs to win. Diverting French forces to the south while the Germans attacked.

Australia and NZ captured the German colonies straight away as in OTL. Why would they give them back? Britain holds no power over them.

Technically as Britain still has dominion over the CoA and DoNZ they have power enough to cause serious problems if they don't tow the line. It is only since WW1 that automony has been "enforced".

Technically as Britain still has dominion over the CoA and DoNZ they have power enough to cause serious problems if they don't tow the line. It is only since WW1 that automony has been "enforced".

Dominionship was just independence with a fancy name that allowed Britain to feel like it hadn't lost anything. The armed forces still acted in parallel with the British forces, but as far as general governance was concerned, they were independent. I'm pretty sure they signed Versailles separately as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.