Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Map's up: happy thanksgiving!

(Well, to those of you who aren't northeastern native americans, anyway).

Bruce

KCammy

Banned
Can I ask what the suggestions were for the next MOF that are actually being taken into serious consideration?

The minutes to midnight one is not exactly original, it will probably end up like the one we had about the invention of a devastating weapon not developed in OTL. The name of said MOF escapes me right now.

However I do like "If Stirling Never Stopped" as a suggestion.

I would also like to propose almost the exact opposite. How about the challenge is to make a map of a nation that succeeded on the world stage massively OTL, (The British Empire, The USA, The USSR, etc) that is a shell of it's alternate self, or simply non-existent. (Then you would make a map of the area the nation was OTL. However, no name for this suggestion comes to mind as of yet.

Krall

Banned
Can I ask what the suggestions were for the next MOF that are actually being taken into serious consideration?

At the moment I'm only really considering "Over Mountain, Plain and Sea", since there doesn't appear to be any great interest in any other posted suggestion.

I would also like to propose almost the exact opposite. How about the challenge is to make a map of a nation that succeeded on the world stage massively OTL, (The British Empire, The USA, The USSR, etc) that is a shell of it's alternate self, or simply non-existent. (Then you would make a map of the area the nation was OTL. However, no name for this suggestion comes to mind as of yet.

Might I propose "SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS"?

Now, putting yourself down is unhealthy. And I rather like your Islamic Mexico: could be part of a more "realistic" take on the Gate of Worlds...

Bruce

The thing about some maps I see that have a modern Aztec Empire, is that it took only one man (Cortez) to come along and unite the Aztec's enemies (which was pretty much everybody) against a brutal and savage regime (and you can't get much more savage than cutting out hearts). So, it seems to me, that if Cortez hadn't come along, somebody else would have, probably an Indian.

Besides, putting myself down takes the fun out of it for others.

Krall

Banned
According to one of many less-than excellent online translators, that is litterally "So Always Tyrant." :D

But it sounds great, nonetheless.

Thanks! The quote is attributed to Brutus upon assassinating Caesar, and John Wilkes Booth supposedly said it before assassinating Abraham Lincoln. It means "Thus always [ever] to tyrants" (i.e. "This is what always happens to tyrants").

Okay, the new MoF is going to start later today, and if there are no major objections I'm just going to go with "Over Mountain, Plain and Sea" as the map challenge. If you don't like this challenge, or would prefer another, please do say so.

I hope to get the map in by today. When is the contest over? 7 PM EST / 12 AM Greenwich?
EDIT: Well, there goes that plan. I suppose not.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
I hope to get the map in by today. When is the contest over? 7 PM EST / 12 AM Greenwich?
EDIT: Well, there goes that plan. I suppose not.

It's the midnight between Saturday and Sunday according to GMT (or the timezone of whoever's overseeing this particular round, I guess).

Krall

Banned
New threads and what have you will be up tomorrow, due to my inability to properly organise my time and the resulting lack of free time at this present juncture. Sorry for the delay.