Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Might I suggest a generic "100 years from now", but keep the range, so if the map maker is from 1915, the year the map is in in 2015, etc. I like the idea, but think restricting all maps to 2010 would be a bad move.

Maybe - I was trying to keep it from getting too science fictional, but I suppose the 2010 of someone in 1930 would be pretty wild anyway. Or we could have a range: 25 to 100 years, say.

Bruce

Maybe - I was trying to keep it from getting too science fictional, but I suppose the 2010 of someone in 1930 would be pretty wild anyway. Or we could have a range: 25 to 100 years, say.

Bruce

I agree, the max range is a good idea. I just thought sticking to one date, no matter when the map was "made" was way too restrictive.

In light of the Seapole map going around, may I suggest a map challenge for geophysically different Earths? I think it has potential.

Krall

Banned
When is the voting thread for "To salted earth, through burning sky" going to be up?

Thanks for reminding me! It's up now.

The entries thread for MoF 26 will be up when I actually decide on a specific challenge; this might be tomorrow, unfortunately.

Apart from the initial posting of the challenge thread, I'm thinking of passing most of the administration of MoF 26 onto Scarecrow (I have a new job and a funeral to worry about). He hasn't agreed to anything yet, so don't start sending him questions and/or complaints, just bear in mind that he may be taking over for a while.

In light of the Seapole map going around, may I suggest a map challenge for geophysically different Earths? I think it has potential.

It does, but the fact that it prevents people from using real maps as a base means that it would mean that many maps may be of a lower quality than normal, or that people without the skill or drive required to make a map essentially from scratch wouldn't enter.

EDIT:

It was I who PM'ed you about the thread a while ago. I was stuck in the process of figuring out how to make an easy-accessible thread. I thought about posting each MOF-link in a separate entry. But that would mean I would have to start with the oldest MOF-challenge as the first entry in the thread, as future MOF-challenges would be entered at the end of the thread.

Any helpfull ideas or suggestions on how to do such a project are welcome.

I just had a thought: you could put the index on the AH.com wiki, and then link to the MoF wiki page in the opening post.

Alternatively, or additionally, I could put the link in the opening post to this thread (and maybe the OPs of entries and voting threads), so more people would see it.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
It does, but the fact that it prevents people from using real maps as a base means that it would mean that many maps may be of a lower quality than normal, or that people without the skill or drive required to make a map essentially from scratch wouldn't enter.

Still, I like the idea...maybe when we have more alternate-Earth basemaps knocking about for people to use.

An idea I just had:

Second Rennaissance

Assuming a global thermonuclear war between the superpowers at some point during the 20th century, depict a map showing the recovery of human civilization from the long atomic dark age.

An idea I just had:

Second Rennaissance

Assuming a global thermonuclear war between the superpowers at some point during the 20th century, depict a map showing the recovery of human civilization from the long atomic dark age.

That's too much like the scenario "Long After the End".

No different crop packages seems a little bit harsh, some variations and alterations to crop packages can be made even into historical era. Would, say, a PoD involving Melanesian navigators pre-empting the Polynesians in colonising the Pacific, and bringing potatoes, corn and other New World crops back to Southeast Asia, would that be out of bounds?

I can understand it, though, if the concern is keeping maps in the realms of the familiar.

No different crop packages seems a little bit harsh, some variations and alterations to crop packages can be made even into historical era. Would, say, a PoD involving Melanesian navigators pre-empting the Polynesians in colonising the Pacific, and bringing potatoes, corn and other New World crops back to Southeast Asia, would that be out of bounds?

I can understand it, though, if the concern is keeping maps in the realms of the familiar.

That scenario would be allowed, but the idea of blocking new crops was because that is a bit more like the Cradle of Civilisations idea, which is worth running on its own. And stop stealing my ideas.;)

Thande

Donor
Speaking of the alternate geographical ones, I am currently producing a series of blank maps based on that WorldDreamBank bloke's tilted Earths that will help rectify the limited number of potential basemaps for such scenarios.

I read the following in the MOF26 thread, but I don't understand it:
"However no 'Land of Red and Gold' style crop packages outside of OTL, so no POD in pre-History".

I read the following in the MOF26 thread, but I don't understand it:
"However no 'Land of Red and Gold' style crop packages outside of OTL, so no POD in pre-History".

Apologies. Lands of Red and Gold is a timeline by Jared where domesticated sweet potatoes and other crops are available in Australia. Which means that in terms of the challenge is that you cannot have a major civilisation emerge outside of those present in the OTL Old World. You could have a Persian descended state in OTL Mexico be the most powerful state in the world, but not a civilisation emerging around an Alternate form of domesticated rice in the Mississippi delta.

Follow me?