Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

The entry period for MotF 129 is nearing its end, but at present we only have 2 entries. I've received one PM from someone who wants an extension, but is there anyone else here who wants one? I understand this is Finals Week for some of you, and so you can't dedicate as much time as you'd like for your entries.

There's a decent chance I'll have my entry done by Sunday, but an extention wouldn't be a bad idea.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
The entry period for MotF 129 is nearing its end, but at present we only have 2 entries. I've received one PM from someone who wants an extension, but is there anyone else here who wants one? I understand this is Finals Week for some of you, and so you can't dedicate as much time as you'd like for your entries.

Given the circumstances, another week wouldn't be out the question.

Yes please. :D

Ah, shame there are so few entries. I've just made a silly little map and submitted it. It's nothing spectacular, but at least you now have more than two entries :)

Krall

Banned
Alright, I've decided to extend the current round by one week. I'll make it official and edit the thread in a bit.

Krall

Banned
MotF 129: Into the Black Hole has been extended. The entry period shall now end when the voting thread is posted on Sunday the 27th of December.

MotF 129: Into the Black Hole has been extended. The entry period shall now end when the voting thread is posted on Sunday the 27th of December.

Since we're on a month-long break for the holidays anyway, would anyone object to another week extension? I have a good idea, but I just haven't had the time.

Krall

Banned
Since we're on a month-long break for the holidays anyway, would anyone object to another week extension? I have a good idea, but I just haven't had the time.

I don't want this round continuing into 2016 - then we'd run the risk of not having a hiatus at all, since the contest could restart on any Sunday in January (depending on when people agree on a challenge to use for the next round). Plus I'd rather not extend it again, considering that we've already gotten a decent number of entries.

So, I'm afraid I'm going to end the current round by posting the voting thread shortly (I should've done it yesterday, but I clean forgot :eek: ).

Krall

Banned
Some Rather Important News

As some of you are no doubt aware after a recent disagreement with this site's administration I have become convinced that this forum's moderators and admin are capricious, prejudiced, hypocritical, and unwilling to be held accountable. As a result, I've made the decision to "leave" AH.com, and instead run a new alternate history discussion forum called AltHistoria.

I say "leave" because I will still be on here somewhat often, will still check my PMs, and will still partake in the two main forum institutions that I set up/run - the Minecraft server, and this contest. However in the case of the latter, I will no longer be acting as the Contest Overseer - I intend to set up the Map of the Fortnight contest over on the aforementioned AltHistoria and run it myself there, but instead of abandoning it here I intend to hand over its administration to another member of the forum: Upvoteanthology.

I've given Upvoteanthology the templates I use for threads, and I'll be advising her on the fine details, but starting in the New Year she will be the Contest Overseer of Map of the Fortnight on AH.com. She's a good friend of mine and I am certain of her abilities to run this contest with the dedication and enthusiasm it needs, so I ask that you warmly welcome her and this new era in this contest! :D

I have a couple of extra pieces of minutiae I'd like to note. Firstly I will be posting links to the MotF entry and voting threads on AltHistoria, similar to how I posted new threads before, so if you're not able/willing to be on AltHistoria often it will still be possible for you to keep up to date with the contest there should you wish to take part. Secondly, I shall still be "running" the ongoing Map Duels rather than handing them over to Upvoteanthology - hopefully I can get them resolved soon, as some of them have been going on for a very long time.

And if you have any questions about this that I haven't addressed yet, please feel free to ask them! :)

Interesting.

I agree with you in that the mod team here isn't great. Still stay here because, well, it's the only sizeable AH forum in existence.

But I've signed up for the new forum to see how it works out :)

Question: from now on, will there be two MotF contests running simultaneously, one on AH.com and one on AltHistoria? That is the impression I get.

Krall

Banned
Interesting.

I agree with you in that the mod team here isn't great. Still stay here because, well, it's the only sizeable AH forum in existence.

But I've signed up for the new forum to see how it works out :)

Yeah, AH.com certainly has a size advantage. Until recently it's been enough to keep me here, too. :p

Question: from now on, will there be two MotF contests running simultaneously, one on AH.com and one on AltHistoria? That is the impression I get.

That's correct. I'm not sure how we're going to number them - we can't have two contest rounds called "MotF 130" after all - but yes, there will be two parallel contest, one on here run by Upvoteanthology and one on AltHistoria run by me. :)

Yeah, AH.com certainly has a size advantage. Until recently it's been enough to keep me here, too. :p
I'm tempted to ask what happened recently that made you pretty much quit AH.com. Probably best to avoid any drama in this thread, though.

That's correct. I'm not sure how we're going to number them - we can't have two contest rounds called "MotF 130" after all - but yes, there will be two parallel contest, one on here run by Upvoteanthology and one on AltHistoria run by me. :)

Where distinction between the two is necessary, I think "Krall's MotF 130" versus "Upvote's MotF 130" would suffice.

Alternatively, one of you could have the odd numbers and the other the evens, i.e. Upvote would do MotF 130, 132, 134, 136, etc. and you would do MotF 131, 133, 135, 137, etc.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Where distinction between the two is necessary, I think "Krall's MotF 130" versus "Upvote's MotF 130" would suffice.

Alternatively, one of you could have the odd numbers and the other the evens, i.e. Upvote would do MotF 130, 132, 134, 136, etc. and you would do MotF 131, 133, 135, 137, etc.

The former would probably work better then the latter, if only because it'll stop confusion on both forums.

Krall

Banned
I'm tempted to ask what happened recently that made you pretty much quit AH.com. Probably best to avoid any drama in this thread, though.

I've had to type out so many explanations, so I'd rather not do another one. :p That said, if anyone's curious I explained it in a comment on here (the first reply to mdc01957's comment).

The Krall's/Upvote's MotF could work, but I can't help but feel like there's a more elegant solution (the evens/odds idea is likely to cause more confusion than it averts, though :p ).