Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

I think my vote still goes to Guns of the X: A scenario where time travellers help a faction win a war or become way too powerful in general.

Krall

Banned
When the Saints Came Marching In

Depict a map where a saint or holy-man (or woman) changed the religion of a region.

Hmm, not sure how well that would work - I can't think of an instance of a single person changing the religion of a region, and I can't imagine many realistic scenarios where that could happen.

Maybe something a little more general would work, like this: "Make a map showing a population converting from one religious belief to another." That's more general, as it doesn't require a single individual to act as the sole cause of the conversion, but still focuses on conversion itself. Entries could show before/after maps, or show the conversion in progress. What do you think?

Hmm, not sure how well that would work - I can't think of an instance of a single person changing the religion of a region, and I can't imagine many realistic scenarios where that could happen.

Maybe something a little more general would work, like this: "Make a map showing a population converting from one religious belief to another." That's more general, as it doesn't require a single individual to act as the sole cause of the conversion, but still focuses on conversion itself. Entries could show before/after maps, or show the conversion in progress. What do you think?

I'd like to stick away from two maps before and after seeing as how I feel it like puts people off due to the amount of work necessary. But the idea as a whole is indeed a better update on mine :) I think it would work

Krall

Banned
I'd like to stick away from two maps before and after seeing as how I feel it like puts people off due to the amount of work necessary. But the idea as a whole is indeed a better update on mine :) I think it would work

Well, people could do before/after maps or they could do one map showing the conversion in process, so two maps aren't required by any means. :p

Krall

Banned
MotF 128 is nearing the end of its entry period and doesn't have many entries so far. I know some people are definitely still working on entries, but would anyone benefit from a week's extension?

MotF 128 is nearing the end of its entry period and doesn't have many entries so far. I know some people are definitely still working on entries, but would anyone benefit from a week's extension?

I know Upvote and Usili are both working on entries, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that they'll be able to get theirs in by the due date.

Kind of an idea, so I'll throw it out for consideration:

Where a River Meets the Ocean: Create a map of a nation that forms a sort of estuary or buffer between two or more nations of different cultures, religions, governments, etc.

I can probably do with another week, I'm still trying to decide my exact scenario, although I've narrowed it down to 2

I'd like Pastures New because the original Making A Mark On The Map only produced aquatic examples at that round and I'd cherish to see Krall doing the Pearl River Delta polder works he imagined.

Krall

Banned
Kind of an idea, so I'll throw it out for consideration:

Where a River Meets the Ocean: Create a map of a nation that forms a sort of estuary or buffer between two or more nations of different cultures, religions, governments, etc.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this challenge is meant to be about. Could you give any OTL examples?

I can probably do with another week, I'm still trying to decide my exact scenario, although I've narrowed it down to 2
I think I would, I might need at least three more days.

Alright, I think I will extend the current round then. I'll edit the entry thread OP and make it official later.

I'd like Pastures New because the original Making A Mark On The Map only produced aquatic examples at that round and I'd cherish to see Krall doing the Pearl River Delta polder works he imagined.

Here's the challenge text, for those wondering what Dr. Nodelescu's talking about. :p

Pastures New

Make a map showing an artificially created landmass.

And yeah, if it gets chosen I would go back to that Pearl River Delta land reclamation idea and try to finish it. :D

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this challenge is meant to be about. Could you give any OTL examples?
Why is it that literally every challenge I post you have an issue with? Do you just not like me?

Anyway, examples include: Western Liao/Qara Khitai, Assyria, Armenia (during the Rome-Persian Wars), Kievan Rus', the Cumans/Khazars/Golden Horde (basically buffers between Europe and Asia), Nubia, Afghanistan, Tibet (between South Asia and China), etc. Buffer states are pretty common in history...

Krall

Banned
Why is it that literally every challenge I post you have an issue with? Do you just not like me?

Of course not - I like you plenty - I just have difficultly understanding what other people mean sometimes. You seem to phrase challenges in a way that doesn't make clear sense to me. :eek:

Anyway, examples include: Western Liao/Qara Khitai, Assyria, Armenia (during the Rome-Persian Wars), Kievan Rus', the Cumans/Khazars/Golden Horde (basically buffers between Europe and Asia), Nubia, Afghanistan, Tibet (between South Asia and China), etc. Buffer states are pretty common in history...

Oh, well if the challenge is meant to be "Make a map showing a buffer state", then we ran that exact challenge for Motf 116 under the name "Between a Rock and a Hard Place". Sorry, I was confused by the term "estuary" and the specific mention of different cultures, religions, and governments. :eek:

I'm bringing up Hero of the Day, Vampire of the Night.

Here's the challenge text, for those wondering. :p

Hero of the Day, Vampire of the Night
Make a map that shows the unpleasant effects of an alternate war.

Krall

Banned
MotF 128: To the Victor has been extended. The entry period shall now end when the voting thread is posted on Sunday the 6th of December.