Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

So, any sort of scenario where there's a big ol' habitable island out there in the Atlantic would do? Plato need not apply?

Can I assume that "world" can apply to literally another planet? Can it be ISOTed into our own solar system, to reduce travel time?

Red Orm

Banned
Cool stuff @wolfram, but for realism I don't think anybody would let a five year old onto a spacecraft that's going to be going anywhere. Their bodies could easily not handle it well at all. Fully grown men and women have to be trained to endure the forces.

Cool stuff @wolfram, but for realism I don't think anybody would let a five year old onto a spacecraft that's going to be going anywhere. Their bodies could easily not handle it well at all. Fully grown men and women have to be trained to endure the forces.
The five-year-old was one of the people killed on the ground when the fuel tank exploded.

Red Orm

Banned
The five-year-old was one of the people killed on the ground when the fuel tank exploded.

Ohhh now I see, that makes sense now looking at the names. I was more preoccupied with their careers for some reason, I thought they were civilian passengers! Great scenario.

Welp, that's the first time I've ever worked on a map under an actual deadline. Well, it's not much- unfortunately not as much as I wanted it to be- but it was fun. Maybe I will expand it one of these days...

Last edited:
http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php?id=alternate_history:map_of_the_fortnight_topics

I didn't see either Atlantis Reborn or Micronation Extravaganza on the list of suggested topics. I have no idea how new topics are chosen, but we ought to choose something from the list next time, as there are so many awesome ideas there just waiting to be turned into MotFs.

That's cause they were suggested recently in this thread. Usually, we go off the topics that were suggested here, and people can also suggest things from the list/vote for them.

That's cause they were suggested recently in this thread. Usually, we go off the topics that were suggested here, and people can also suggest things from the list/vote for them.

I'm afraid that all I can see in this thread is preferential treatment to these other suggestions, both of the last two by the same user, solely because they are newer. I see no voting process whatsoever; if the next scenario isn't chosen in order or arbitrarily then there's some kind of inner conclave at work. This is concerning imo.

Best case scenario is that ya'll have just been winging it informally, which means it's my job to give suggestions if I want them to be considered by the userbase. Here are a few (arbitrarily) chosen suggestions from the list:

Always the Bridesmaid: Make a map showing a secondary power that is constantly overshadowed by a more powerful ally.

Don't look at them, my child: Make a map showing the main population areas of an underclass in a country.

Feign Themselves Just Men: Make a map showing a region or country which is the focal point for espionage conflict between two nations in an ATL Cold War.

Guns of the X: Make a map showing a world where a group of time travelers go back in time to give a group anachronistically powerful weapons.

Like A Phoenix Rising: Make a map showing a city that was once great but declined in OTL, that in your map either never declined or rose to be great again.

No, WE'RE The Real Government: Make a map showing a country during a civil war that's gone on long enough that most people outside the country just think of it as having split into multiple countries. Examples from OTL would be Korea with the ROK vs. the DPRK, or China with the PRC vs. the ROC.

The Sick Man: Make a map showing a declining great power.

I'm afraid that all I can see in this thread is preferential treatment to these other suggestions, both of the last two by the same user, solely because they are newer. I see no voting process whatsoever; if the next scenario isn't chosen in order or arbitrarily then there's some kind of inner conclave at work. This is concerning imo.

Best case scenario is that ya'll have just been winging it informally

Oh for the love of Pete, there's no MotF cabal--the next topic is simply the one suggested since the last contest that receives the most support (i.e. people liking posts/saying "I like this topic"). If nobody suggests any, then it's the runner-up topic from the last contest. How else, besides limiting it to recent topics, would we even know what the topics were we were selecting from?

it's my job to give suggestions if I want them to be considered by the userbase. Here are a few (arbitrarily) chosen suggestions from the list:

Yep, that is indeed what I said. If you want to see something from the previous list, you have to suggest it (which I have done), and it has to receive the most support out of any idea.