Malê Rising

A note about Zanzibar...

Since you've written about Zanzibar in TTL, guess which famous singer came from Zanzibar originally? Freddy Mercury, the lead singer of Queen (BTW, have you listened to any of their songs? They are good, IMO.).

Good updates, Jonathan. At least Africa will look better in TTL's 21st century.

And there will be no Nigerian scams, since there will be no Nigeria (as we know it) TTL. BTW, how does Sokoto and its neighbors handle the discovery of oil in the Niger?

Missed this one first time around:

I don't mean to add to a no doubt heavy workload, but I can't recall you mentioning what became of Tchaikovsky ITTL?

Hmmm. He was politically conservative, wasn't he? If so, he would likely have been in favor at court during the 1880s and early 1890s, and might have composed patriotic operas and marches. Assuming that he didn't fall ill of cholera (or commit suicide) in 1893, he might still be alive in TTL, and would either have made his peace with the new government or gone into exile. Maybe his best works of TTL, inspired by memories of his lost homeland, are yet to come.

Edit: Will we be seeing much ATL-Dada post war or something more optimistic? Mind you, marxism hasn't had any major hiccups recently ITTL, so the left is probably less dismayed than post WW1.

A bit of both, I'd guess - some futurist optimism, and some postwar disillusionment. Maybe not Dadaism, because I agree that the left will tend more toward the optimistic side of the spectrum (at least for the moment), but there will certainly be a movement toward more cynical and nihilistic art - the visual-art equivalent of the British war poets, maybe.

Seeing how Argentina has been reduced to a geographical designation in this TL makes me feel that this scenario will be viable ITTL.

It's a great point. The war and other recent developments will make immigration to the United States and other countries proceed very differently. We've already talked about more Italians moving to the gaucho states, and Koreans moving to Brazil, now I guess its time to look at other divergent trends throughout the Americas.

I think the former Argentine republics will still draw immigrants - Buenos Aires still has industrial jobs, and the other two states have plenty of open land. The war in the Southern Cone wasn't the kind of war to create a wave of refugees. There might be some Argentines moving north, but not that many.

In terms of divergent immigration trends, I'm guessing that many more Balkan Christians, especially Bulgarians, will come to the Americas, and there might also be larger Lebanese and Coptic diasporas. The losers in the Hungarian and French civil wars might also find other places to go - the Americas, southern Africa, maybe Australasia as well.

BTW, how does Sokoto and its neighbors handle the discovery of oil in the Niger?

The oil isn't anywhere near Sokoto; it's in the Niger Delta, which in TTL is occupied by the protectorates of Bonny and Calabar. It won't be discovered until well into the twentieth century - probably earlier than 1956 (the OTL date) due to the region's generally greater state of development, but still a generation away at this point. It will be a major political and demographic development, and will be discussed here when it happens.

And Freddy Mercury won't exist in TTL, more's the pity, but there'll be some interesting music out of Zanzibar during the twentieth century.

“Like Silesia?” Alfred asked. He’d been there in the Kaiserlich und Königlich army when the North Germans had first used storm troops, and he remembered the confusion of that attack and the death of too many comrades.

“Exactly! You were there too?”

“That’s where I got shot – outside Stettin, fighting your ’94 offensive.”
I hadn't pictured Habsburg troops so far North as Stettin - from your war posts, I'd pictured that part of the front as held by the Russians. But perhaps the Habsburgs and Russians mixed their detachments? But in any case, Stettin is in Pomerania, not Silesia, and I wouldn't imagine any German referring to Stettin as Silesian. If not referring to Pomerania specifically, but to a war theater comprising both Pomerania and Silesia, they might call it the "Eastern" or "Oder" front.

You know who I'd love to put in TTL...

Have an ASB ship Strom Thurmond circa 1948 to this TL's South Carolina.

Then sit back and watch his head explode...:D

[QUOTE
And there will be no Nigerian scams.[/QUOTE]

Not as we recognise them but, some anonymous telegram about untold treaure from an ancient African civilisation ...

Perhaps Flashman might have been drawn into one of these early "Nigerian Scams":D.

I shudder to think about TTL's version of Dan Brown.
Still, Indiana Jones and the Relics of Nigeria has a nice ring to it.

I hadn't pictured Habsburg troops so far North as Stettin - from your war posts, I'd pictured that part of the front as held by the Russians. But perhaps the Habsburgs and Russians mixed their detachments? But in any case, Stettin is in Pomerania, not Silesia, and I wouldn't imagine any German referring to Stettin as Silesian.

You're right - that should have been Breslau.

(Note to self: always check the map before name-dropping a city I've never visited, and never assume that I remembered the right one.)

Have an ASB ship Strom Thurmond circa 1948 to this TL's South Carolina.

Then sit back and watch his head explode...:D

You could sell tickets. Coleman Blease too.

Not as we recognise them but, some anonymous telegram about untold treaure from an ancient African civilisation ...

Perhaps Flashman might have been drawn into one of these early "Nigerian Scams":D.

Well, TTL has already seen dime-novel stories about lost African civilizations (which will be where the Indiana Jones-type heroes, many of them black, will come in) and crackpot archaeological theories about the Nok culture, so it's certainly possible for frauds to be concocted around such things. You've actually given me the perfect idea for Flashman's final TTL escapade - look for it around 1910.

1899, Part 2

Olympia:

tQanxEv.jpg

Prime Minister Dimitrakis stood in the shade of an olive tree, watching the diggers at work on the site of the ancient stadium. The work was going well, and with any luck, it would be finished in time for the first race of the Olympic Games to be run on the ancient track.

That was a good idea of Verne’s – something to open the century in a spirit of peace. It’s a shame about the civil war, but the games were never going to be in Paris anyway, and now that things are almost over, they’ll at least be able to send a team. The poor bastards in Hungary will have to sit it out, but nearly everyone else has said they’ll be here.

For a moment, he saw Olympia as it would be next year, with all the nations gathered for the opening ceremonies: teams from Europe and the Americas, China and Japan, India and even Africa. And all of them would go home with stories of the Greeks. It would be good for the world to be interested in Greece for something other than its neutrality – it was good already, with the great powers helping to pay for the new stadium in Athens and the diggings here.

Not that that doesn’t have its own problems – such as keeping control of the work. Dimitrakis still remembered that archaeologist Evans’ ghastly plan to reconstruct Olympia as it had looked in ancient times. He’d wanted to hold the entire games here, and to rechristen Olympia as an ‘athletic city of the world.’ They’d fought over it for months before the prime minister had finally prevailed; the stadium would be excavated but not reconstructed, and only a few events would be held on this site, with the others in Athens and Corinth.

Now there were different people fighting, and over a different subject: what modern sports would take their place beside the ancient ones? The prime minister had insisted that every event run at the classical Olympics would be run at the new one, and the nation was getting into the spirit of things: there were discus and javelin teams in every Greek village, and the off-duty diggers at Olympia had got up an impromptu wrestling match. But every country had its own favorite sports and was insisting that they be part of the games too. Was there room for cricket and rugby, or for polo – and what’s more, would enough countries send teams to make the contest interesting? More than likely, the issue would be resolved the day before the opening bell, if not the very moment it rang.

Still, the games would be a momentous occasion, a good time to reflect on what it was to be Greek and what Greece should become in the coming century. And speaking of which, I’ll have to make sure there are some Cretan Muslims on the Greek teams. Give the mob some Greek-speaking Muslims to cheer for, let them get used to the idea that they’re Greek. Dimitrakis had no great love for Muslims or Turks, but he’d promised to treat them equally in exchange for Crete and Thessaly, and if he was nothing else, he was a man of his word. And besides, love Muslims or not, the war twenty years past had taught the premier that they were not to be despised, and that it was better to work with them than to fight them.

Yes, give them a Cretan Muslim or two to cheer for. And make sure they cheer the right way for that wrestler from Smyrna…

*******​

Bombay:

xbhhuAE.jpg

The sight of Bombay’s busy factories and bustling markets always pleased Romesh Chunder Dutt greatly. Far less pleasing were the growing slums that clustered around them. And the fact that many of those slums were occupied by veterans of the Congress regiments pleased him not at all.

The soldiers had come home and the war contracts had ended: more people who needed work, and less work for them to do. It would turn around eventually – it was starting to do so already, with the factories retooling for the domestic and East African markets – but there were many, many soldiers without jobs. And the Congress veterans seemed to have a harder time than the others – no, they didn’t seem to have a harder time, they did. “They’re troublemakers,” a Baroda industrialist had told him in a moment of candor. “They’ll start unions and complain about everything. I can hire women for half as much, or bring in men from the country who won’t complain.”

In Baroda, at least, Dutt could do something about that. There, he was prime minister and the Congress had a parliamentary majority. He could tell the industrialists that they’d better hire Congress veterans if they wanted to get government contracts, or arrange loans and licenses for the soldiers to start their own firms. But here…

“Mr. Tata will see you now,” said a disembodied voice above him. He looked up, and the voice acquired a body: a secretary in a well-made dhoti, who gestured for Dutt to come with him. The Congress chairman obeyed, and was ushered down paneled hallways into the great man’s office.

“Come in, Mr. Dutt!” Tata said, rising from his desk; like the secretary, he greeted Dutt in the British style. “Sit down. A cup of tea? Something for breakfast?”

“I won’t say no to the tea, sir.”

“We’re not in the army, and we’ve both made our way in the world. I’m Jamsetji to you.”

“Very well.” From all Dutt knew, Tata wasn’t given to such informality, but he had little choice but to wait and see what game the steel magnate was playing. He took a seat and looked around him at the furnishings and trophies. They were overdone for his taste – and, he suspected, for Tata’s – but an industrialist, like a maharajah, had to make a certain display to the world.

“I know you’re not one to waste time,” Tata said, settling into his own seat and leaning forward. “So tell me, while we wait for the tea. We can talk about our children and our country houses afterward.”

Dutt didn’t have a country house, but he agreed with the sentiment. “I’m looking for jobs, Jamsetji, for men who’ve served their country bravely. There are millions of Indian soldiers coming home from the war, and many of them are living on the street. Men from my regiments are starving. You’re a Baroda man and a patriot, and I was hoping…”

“You don’t have to convince me, Romesh.” Dutt started a little at the use of his first name, as he expected he was meant to. “Send them to me, and I’ll give them jobs where there are jobs to give. But there aren’t as many as I’d like.”

“Things are turning around, though…”

“Not as much as I’d like. I’ve been running into all kinds of licensing delays and material shortages – too many to be coincidence. What I’ve heard is that the Raj doesn’t want us retooling for the domestic market. We’re supposed to buy our housewares from British manufacturers, not to make them ourselves. We served our purpose during the war, and now we’re supposed to close up shop and go home.”

Dutt had heard rumors himself, but this was the first time the situation had been put to him quite so bluntly. The Congress held the industry portfolio in the Government of India – surely things couldn’t be that bad. Unless there were things the civil service was doing that the minister wasn’t being told about…

“Partnership raj,” he muttered.

“Just because Calcutta calls it that doesn’t mean everyone believes it. And there are plenty of people who think we’ve already been given far too much, and that it’s time to clamp down.”

“Are you in danger, then?”

“Not me, no. I’ve got the money to wait them out, and I’ve got enough friends in Calcutta and London to make sure I get the licenses eventually. But some of the others might not last.”

“Don’t they realize they’ll only lose those industries to the princely states?”

“Except for Baroda and Travancore, they’re all far behind. And for your state… don’t be surprised if someone starts proposing one-way tariffs.”

“That would never be…”

“I’m not saying it’ll happen, just that someone will propose it, and that you need to be ready to fight.”

“I need to be ready for more than that.” If this was the way the wind was blowing, the Minister of Industry had better start investigating, and some civil servants needed to get the sack. Partnership raj, yes. However many heads we have to break to make it that way.

“Excellent. We can both do much for each other, I think.” Tata clapped his hands together once. “And here’s the tea. Tell me, Romesh, is Baroda going to field a cricket team for the Olympics?”

*******​

Cape Town:

gFgFH1j.jpg

“You’ve got to run next year, Jannie!” Hendrik Steyn was saying. “Try to stay out and we’ll drag you in!”

Jan Pieter Smuts, bemused, sipped his peach mampoer and listened. When he’d gone off to war, he’d been a farmer’s son not long out of school – a substantial citizen, certainly, but not a person of whom others took account. But he’d gone away a captain and come back a colonel, and somewhere along the way, he must have picked up the aura of a leader.

“The hell you say,” he temporized. Smuts was flush with dancing and liquor and felt very satisfied with himself, and the last thing he wanted to talk about at his cousin’s wedding was politics.

Steyn didn’t get the hint. “No, you have to run! With your war record, the British as well as the Afrikaners would vote for you – you’d win for the Bond in any seat you pick. And with a little seasoning, you’d be a prime minister everyone could agree on.”

“Prime minister?” Now Smuts was genuinely surprised. “I’m not yet thirty and I’ve never been elected to anything, and you’re talking me up for prime minister?”

“The Bond will need its own man for prime minister eventually, rather than just picking the best Englishman. The only way the Transvaal will ever come into this federation of Merriman’s is if it sees that one of ours has a chance to run it.”

“I thought you were against all that.”

“I was, and I am. But I’ve got eyes. The war pushed everything together down here, and there’s no way we’re going back. The federation’s going to happen sooner or later, and we have to look to our place in it. If the Free State and the Transvaal are members, and the Griquas too, then our place will be a damned strong one.”

Time was when Smuts would have blinked at the mention of the Griquas, but now he didn’t notice. The bobotie indaba was eight years past now, and he took for granted that the Griquas, the Coloureds and the Cape Malays would be the Boers’ political allies. Some would never accept it – the ones who’d walked out of the Bond in ’91 had their own party now, and were as bitter toward their old comrades as any splitters would be – but it was amazing how quickly the new order had become natural. If Councilman Baitullah’s presence at the wedding didn’t prove that…

“… And whoever it is will have to be someone who knows the British, and who they trust. It could never be me or one of the other old fighters, Jannie – it’ll have to be someone who’s always been with them, and who’s fought on their side.”

“The men I fought with weren’t exactly British.” The image of Usman seemed to hover over the field for a moment, and Smuts remembered commando raids behind French lines in West Africa and cavalry charges in the Balkans. There’s another reason it seems so natural that the Coloureds and the Malays are on our side, and we on theirs…

“Doesn’t matter, Jannie. You were in their army and you were a hero. They’ll vote for you and they’ll trust you.”

Smuts stood a moment in thought and realized Steyn was right.

“Ask me tomorrow when I’m sober.”

*******​

Paris:

LGIz6eH.jpg

It was almost midnight, and the dibiterie was finally clean, ready for the next day’s customers. The employees who weren’t family had gone home, Chiara and the girls were in bed, and Souleymane and Omar sat across from each other at the last open table. They sipped café au lait together, the hot drink and the fire sheltering them from the late November cold outside, and let the silence lengthen, each content to be in the other’s presence. I wish it could always be like this, Omar thought, not knowing that his father was thinking much the same thing.

Omar didn’t want to break the silence. One more night, he told himself, like he had the night before and the one before that. Let him go to bed and think that everything can be like before. But he couldn’t, not tonight – it couldn’t always be like this, and this time, he couldn’t keep the words that had been building inside him from being spoken.

“I think I need to go away for a while.”

Souleymane looked back at him, not a bit surprised. “I know,” he said. “This has been coming for a long time.”

“You did?” Omar had braced for a fight, and now he wasn’t sure what to say. But there were some things he and his father could only talk about with each other, so he sat and waited.

“I was a soldier before you were ever born, son. It happened this way in the tirailleurs sometimes – a soldier would take his bonus and leave the regiment, and six months later he’d be back. That would have been me, probably, if I hadn’t lost a leg. It isn’t easy to settle down.”

“I’m not going back to the army. Two wounds in the big war and one in the last one – I think I’ve pushed my luck enough, and I’ve had enough fighting to last forever. Any more, and I’ll end up like that crazy poilu who almost killed the emperor.”

“Crazy? I thought he was from the Ligue.”

“No, and he wasn’t a communist or an anarchist either. Colonel Dreyfus said he was just a poor bastard driven mad by the war. But I’m not going back.”

“Good,” Souleymane answered, and that one word said a great deal. A moment passed. “So where are you going?”

“Dakar, at first.”

“You have family a hundred kilometers inland, and I’m sure they’ll welcome you.” Suddenly Souleymane shook his head and laughed. “But I can’t imagine you staying too long. If you do, you’ll realize why I joined the tirailleurs in the first place.”

“I thought you joined to become a citizen.”

“That too – that and the money. Spend some time with the herds, though, and you’ll see those weren’t the only reasons.”

“Maybe I’ll go for a visit. I’m not staying, though. A navy lieutenant I met in Marseilles – he’s buying a surplus transport there, along with a British officer he met in the war.” Omar raised a hand at his father’s questioning look. “It’s a long story. But they’re refitting it to trade with Hawaii and Japan, and he said that since I knew some field medicine, I could come on as assistant to the ship’s doctor. I’ll have to do regular labor too, but it’ll count as a medical apprenticeship…”

“Will it?” The new law said that anyone who took a three-year apprenticeship with a doctor could enter medical school even without a lycée diploma, and could finish it in two years rather than three. “Can you do that, after being an officer?”

“I think so. I don’t really know what I’m doing at sea, so I won’t mind listening to people who do.”

“And if you go to school after, do you think you can finish?”

“I don’t know.” That was the heart of the matter after all; since Omar had come home, he just hadn’t been able to stay in one place very long. But he remembered the days in the field hospital with Dr. Carrillon – no, she’d told him to call her Marie-Claire – and remembered how, even with the sick and wounded all around, those had been the only days of the war when he’d felt at peace. Surely he at least had to try.

“The doctor will give me some medical textbooks to read on my own. That’ll help, I think.”

“It seems you have a plan,” Souleymane said slowly. “That’s all I can ask for.”

“Then it’s all right?”

“Your mother will miss you.” So will I, said Souleymane’s face, and Omar suddenly realized how much gray there was in his father’s sparse hair.

“She has Gabrielle’s baby to keep her busy.”

“She’s your mother.”

“I’ll stay a few more days. Until you find someone to take my place.”

“I’ve always found someone before. Stay and be welcome, but don’t take too long, or you’ll never leave.” The briefest of silences. “I went a long way; it seems you’ll have to go a longer one."

“I’ll come back.”

“Go with God, and come home safe.” Souleymane looked down into his cup, not trusting himself to say more.

They drank their coffee together in silence, and the late November wind scattered the leaves outside.

Very nice update, JE (sorry I haven't commented much recently, it's taking longer than expected for me to properly sift back through the TL and pick up on useful details :eek:)! What caught my eye here in particular is the reference to the Olympic games as well as the evolution of race relations in South Africa. The fact that the Boers are willing to work together with the Cape Malays and mixed race folks alone makes for interesting reading (not to mention one helluva butterfly from your stronger Male POD). Would this even be possible were it not for a totally different Africa overall, I wonder.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Nice update, and also yay for Tata! I do have a question though....will the Princely States be fielding separate teams to the Olympics?

There's a lot of fantastic timelines on this site, but I think what makes this one so striking is how... humane it is.
When it seems that every third timeline is a POD for dystopia, it's wonderful to read about a world which if not always better than ours isn't being skewed for the worst at every turn.
I love a few of the nightmare timelines- Drew's gumbo opus, for example. But as the disastrous idea that was the Vlad Tepes award showed, a lot of effort is gone to by some very smart people on this sight to think about horrible things and that often doesn't lead to rewarding places.

But more than the fact that this TL is about a world where good things can happen, its so striking how ordinary most of the characters are. There's a fair share of generals, kings, prophets and industrialists- but how many timelines would give so much effort to people just trying to win the ordinary battles of a human life?

Congratulations, Jonathan, you've really created something beautiful here.

Things do not look good in India. Not at all.

I'm intrigued by the Olympic Games - I take it the Princely States are considered sovereign nations by the overseeing body? In that case, I can see cricket being an Anglo-Indian preserve... at least at first.

Will the shake-out of the French Civil War come up in the academic updates?

I hope Omar gets his happy ending!

His father did, more or less, but he had to fight a different kind of war.

We'll next see him around 1910 - I won't say where just now.

What caught my eye here in particular is the reference to the Olympic games as well as the evolution of race relations in South Africa. The fact that the Boers are willing to work together with the Cape Malays and mixed race folks alone makes for interesting reading (not to mention one helluva butterfly from your stronger Male POD). Would this even be possible were it not for a totally different Africa overall, I wonder.

Basically, what happened (as described in post 1206) was that, with more nonwhite people meeting the property qualification for voting, the Afrikaner Bond decided to join forces with the mixed-race groups who shared their language and, except for the Cape Malays, their religion. This was a very controversial move - a good third of the party walked out rather than accept the alliance, and there are currently two parties in the Cape Colony that call themselves the Bond. Smuts' family is affiliated with the more liberal one.

I'm not sure that a completely different Africa was required for this to happen - after all, the Cape did have a formally nonracial franchise in the 19th and early 20th centuries, and at least one Cape Malay was elected to municipal office. If the Cape parliament had been kept from raising the property qualification every time it looked like nonwhite voters might get some actual power - for instance, if London had blocked it from doing so - then the Afrikaners and British would both have had to make alliances with nonwhite groups in order to stay relevant. The Afrikaans-speakers seem like they'd be natural allies for the Boers, whose relationship with their mixed-race cousins was a lot more complicated than it's often made out to be.

Note, also, that while TTL's Boers are starting to accept mixed-race Afrikaans-speakers into the fold, they aren't yet making alliances with the Africans, which is a step too far even for many of the liberals. Political cooperation between the moderate wing of the Bond and the African peoples will come later, and will probably be more arm's-length because there will be fewer cultural ties.

As for which of the two Bonds will win out in the end, I won't say, but I'll note that in TTL's twenty-first century, the word "Afrikaner" means anyone who speaks Afrikaans.

Nice update, and also yay for Tata! I do have a question though....will the Princely States be fielding separate teams to the Olympics?

A couple of the richer ones will sponsor teams for prestige, and athletes from a few of the others will show up on their own (the national team system took a while to develop in OTL, and if anything, will be more haphazard in TTL because the games are being put on with less advance planning). The Indian Empire will also field a team, as it did in OTL, and most of the foreign reporters in Athens will probably lump the Raj and princely-state athletes together as "Indians."

African countries fielding teams will include Oman, Ethiopia, the Cape Colony, Liberia, Bornu, and maybe one of the Boer republics or a couple of the Niger Valley quasi-dominions.

Things do not look good in India. Not at all.

Nope. The Congress thinks that a million war dead entitles India to more concessions - including an eventual path to dominion status - while many in the British administration believe that the concessions already granted (they would say "extorted") are far too much. That leaves the more liberal administrators, who really want to create a "partnership raj," caught between the opposing forces. The "partnership raj" idea might work for a while, and a few quick fixes will be tried during the liberal era of 1900-12, but the later 1910s aren't going to be pretty.

I'm intrigued by the Olympic Games - I take it the Princely States are considered sovereign nations by the overseeing body? In that case, I can see cricket being an Anglo-Indian preserve... at least at first.

They're considered sovereign enough, and as noted above, the national-team system is a bit fuzzy at this point anyway. Cricket will definitely be dominated by Britain and India, although the Caribbean colonies and possibly the West African "domains" will also field strong teams.

There will definitely be cricket at the first games, BTW - enough cricket teams will show up that they'll more or less have to organize a tournament. A number of events will enter the Olympics this way.

Will the shake-out of the French Civil War come up in the academic updates?

Yes. I'm thinking at this point that there will be two academic updates on Eurasia and one on Africa - I was planning to have one for each, but since the immediate postwar period is the foundation for TTL's twentieth century, I'm planning to cover even the countries that will fade into the background for a generation. I don't think I can do that in one update. The Verne premiership, the French civil war and its aftermath will certainly be in the first one.

There's a lot of fantastic timelines on this site, but I think what makes this one so striking is how... humane it is.

When it seems that every third timeline is a POD for dystopia, it's wonderful to read about a world which if not always better than ours isn't being skewed for the worst at every turn.

I love a few of the nightmare timelines- Drew's gumbo opus, for example. But as the disastrous idea that was the Vlad Tepes award showed, a lot of effort is gone to by some very smart people on this sight to think about horrible things and that often doesn't lead to rewarding places.

I also like some of the dystopian timelines here. A good dystopia can say a lot about the world, and can also be fun in a train-wreck sort of way. But if it becomes a competition as to who can mess the world up the most, the idea (at least IMO) loses much of its force. Unrelieved darkness also rings somewhat false - hell, even in Stalinist Russia and Nazi Germany, good things sometimes happened and people found ways to enjoy life.

Anyway, when I began this timeline, I was going for what Samuel Delany has called a "heterotopia" - not a utopia or a dystopia, but a world based on different ideas and assumptions. (I'm not sure how this idea relates to a Foucauldian heterotopia.) Apparently my meliorist tendencies have pulled it more in the utopian direction than otherwise, but regardless, I'm happy to see that it's appreciated.

But more than the fact that this TL is about a world where good things can happen, its so striking how ordinary most of the characters are. There's a fair share of generals, kings, prophets and industrialists- but how many timelines would give so much effort to people just trying to win the ordinary battles of a human life?

Well, they're the ones who have to live in the world that the politicians and philosophers have made, and they're the ones who really do the work of building it. I think I need to look up from the ground, so to speak, to really get a sense of what this world is like and how it's developing.

BTW, if you like that part of TTL, you'll probably also like this timeline.

Curious, does this TL have it's in TVtropes page yet?

No, but I'd like to see what the tropers would do with it. If TTL did have a page, does anyone have any ideas for what would be in it?

The post-war world really seems to be shaping out in an interesting way. I wouldn't say the timeline is Utopian, but the feel of the timeline is one in which this seems to be a better world than the one that followed OTL's World War One.

Greece seems to be putting it's hopes on the Olympics raising its prestige around the world, so let's hope they don't embarrass themselves at the actual games. And it will be interesting to see how tensions between the government of the Raj and the Indians plays out. Especially as it sounds as if important sections of society are growing resentful at the way India is treated.

Greece seems to be putting it's hopes on the Olympics raising its prestige around the world, so let's hope they don't embarrass themselves at the actual games.
Well, IOTL they only won the marathon at the 1896 games, so there's a fair chance they can do better ITTL! :)

I would think Australasia would also be one of the big cricket powers - easily able to keep pace with an *Indian or *British team

True, how could I forget Australasia? Would it be a powerhouse at this point, though?

Greece seems to be putting it's hopes on the Olympics raising its prestige around the world, so let's hope they don't embarrass themselves at the actual games.

Well, IOTL they only won the marathon at the 1896 games, so there's a fair chance they can do better ITTL! :)

They may well do better in terms of medals, especially if the government sponsors some promising athletes. But they could still embarrass themselves if the games are badly organized or if there's a scandal. There almost certainly will be organizational problems - this is the first time an athletic event on this scale has been put together, and it's being done on relatively short notice - but whether they're serious enough to embarrass Greece will be in the eye of the beholder.

And it will be interesting to see how tensions between the government of the Raj and the Indians plays out. Especially as it sounds as if important sections of society are growing resentful at the way India is treated.

There are several parts of Indian society that aren't happy right now - the Indian economic and intellectual elites who benefited most from the wartime concessions and are now in danger of losing them; the peasant self-defense groups under renewed assault from the landlords; industrial workers facing fewer jobs and falling wages; and returning veterans who are no more willing to be ignored than demobbed soldiers in the rest of the world. Right now the angry elites are probably the most dangerous - and the ones that the Raj will have to placate in the short term - but the others have a lot of latent power, especially since part of the elite class supports them.

The British administrators in India, and their bosses in London, are all over the map about how to deal with this - the conciliators are nominally in power, but there's a lot of obstructionism and foot-dragging by provincial governors and upper civil servants.

On a completely different subject: can anyone suggest a candidate for TTL's Montessori? She won't exist in TTL - her mother was born after the POD, and her father was in the Italian civil service which would be affected early on - but her theories were based on existing practices for educating disabled children, so the ideas were out there and I'd imagine that someone else could synthesize and adapt them. I'm not an expert (to say the least) on late 19th-century educational theory, so if anyone has an alternative educator to suggest, I'm listening.