Look, in the theater! It's DC!

May 2004

On the Red Carpet, DC's latest and greatest film, The Justice League, premiers to rave reviews. 15 years in the making, the Justice League unites Will Smith, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, Sean Bean, and Lucy Lawless with newcomer Andy Serkis as the Martian Manhunter. The Justice League is considered the Capstone to DC's film innovative Extended Universe Project, which saw several film franchises coexist together.

The first film in this project, originally envisioned as a stand alone project, debut'd in 1989, under the helm of the man known as the Trilogy King, George Miller

Last edited:
George Miller's Batman was based on the then recent comic Batman Year One. It told the origin of the Batman, and featured The Characters of Black Mask and the Ventriloquist, alongside mobster Carmine Falcone, as it's main antagonists. The film has been praised for it's dark tone and it's portrayals of Bruce Wayne, Played by Michael Keaton, as well as Actress Linda Hamilton's portrayal of Catwoman. In particular Hamilton's performance was praised for it's depiction of a woman with sexual agency.

Leonard Nimoy, best known as Spock in the Star Trek series, also turns in a strong performance as Batman's butler and confidant, Alfred. Commissioner Gordon, who's character arc in the subsequent Batman films would be second in importance only to Batman's, is here depicted capably by relative Newcomer Keanu Reeves. Jack Nicholson also turns in a strong performance as DA Harvey Dent, though it does not match his masterful take in the third Batman film .

As for the Villains, Steve Buscemi's repugnant Roman Sionis, is played perfectly as a foil to Bruce Wayne, whereas Crispin Glover's milquetoast persona the Ventriloquist is the weakest in the film, though that is more due to lack of interest on the Actor's part than lack of acting ability. Carmine Falcone is played well by James Caan, though he's overshadowed by several other performances in the film.

Notably, the final scene of the movie, in which Commisioner Gordon informs Batman of a new threat Gotham, the quentessential Batman villain known as the Joker, was not initially in the script. Miller expressed disinterest in returning for a sequel, so the initial draft was written without one in mind. However after reading Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, Miller added the scene, in the interest of filming a sequel adapting the work

The main point of divergence is that George Miller directs Batman 1989 rather than Tim Burton. His influence changes the film a good deal.

As it stands, the primary thrust of the TL will be descriptions of Alt DC movies. It may expand later. I'm willing to take suggestions for other changes as time goes on.

After the success of the first Batman film, a Sequel was quickly greenlit. The subject matter was already decided on, and the hunt began for an actor to play the Joker. Miller held open auditions for the role, which eventually narrowed itself down to 3 candidates. Robin Williams, Mark Hamill, and a rookie Dennis Leary. Rumor has it that Miller, unable to pick between the three, called Alan Moore for advice in making the decision. Moore supposedly told Miller to listen to their laughs to decide. Whether that's true or not, Miller eventually decided on Mark Hamill to play the Joker, and we all know how great of a laugh Mark can give.

With the Joker cast, it was soon time for filming to begin. The Film was mostly faithful to the comic, with one notable change: Since the character of Batgirl had not been introduced into the film universe, her role was written out. The scene of her crippling was replaced by one wherein Nicholson's Harvey Dent received his infamous facial scarring.

Upon release the film was met with immediate critical praise and proved to be a box office smash hit, narrowly beating out Terminator 2 to become the highest grossing film of 1991. Batman:Killing Joke is widely considered to be the best film in the DCEUP.

As Batman: Killing Joke was being made, DC was in the process of bringing back it's other icon, Superman. That film would the screen a year afterwards, in 1992.

Putting this on my watch list.

Given our banter on another DC Film TL, I'm guessing any Flash film will be a Wally West one? ;)

After the success of the first Batman movie plans for a Superman movie, eventually called "Superman: The Man of Steel", began to move forward. It was quickly decided to recast Superman and disconnect the new film from the previous reeve franchise, though ultimately both Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder would cameo as the Kents.

Before Superman could be cast, a director needed to be found. Steven Spielberg was one of many who was offered a shot at the director's chair, but he turned them down. It was from Spielberg that George Lucas heard about the project. Lucas was interested in doing a Superhero movie, and had fond memories of the Fleischer animated serials in his youth, so he contacted the studio and entered negotiations. It was soon confirmed, and the hunt for a Superman began.

Lucas chose to do what he had for Star Wars are targeted unknowns to play the lead roles of Clark Kent and Lois Land. Inspired by Christopher Reeve's performance, Lucas held separate auditions for Clark and Superman, so that he could find someone capable of nailing both aspects. He found his Superman in actor Bryan Cranston, and his Lois Lane in Renee.

With the leads cast, the villains were then sought out. Lucas envisioned a film that was part mob movie and part alien invasion, and so he picked Intergang and Brainiac to be the central villains. Brainiac was portrayed physically by actor Kane Hodder, and his voice was provided by Peter Cullen. Intergang's leader Bruno Mannheim was portrayed by frequent Lucas Collaborator Harrison Ford, though Ford stipulated that Mannheim had to be killed off during the movie, since he was not interested in another franchise. Superman's archnemesis Lex Luthor was portrayed by actor Patrick Stewert.

The film was a financial success upon release, however critical perception was more mixed. Most agreed that O'Connor and Cranston were the movie's standout performances, however Ford's performances were called generic and it was almost universally agreed that Stewert's minimal role was a waste of a good actor. Cullen's performance was outright ignored by many critics because of it's strictly vocal nature, though those that did address it typically considered it to be solid. Many also saw the plot as haphzardly put together, with many saying that the first two acts were "Nothing but talking and random action sequences." The third act, which depicts Superman's fight against Brainiac's invasion of metropolis, was highlighted as being more solid.

The film was a special effects extravaganza. The first two thirds featured primarily practical effects, whereas the finale was filled with CG effects. Though spectacular for their time these CG effects have aged poorly, and nowadays the practical effects are given more praise.

Superman: The Man of Steel was the first film in the DCEUP to win an Oscar, in this case for special effects and Score. The original Batman film had been nominated for art direction but lost. Batman: Killing Joke had received several nominations but won none.

In the end, the film did well enough to be considered a success, but not well enough to make Studio's green light a sequel. It's success combined with Batman: Killing Joke did make DC turn to it's less iconic franchises for film adaptations, which would lead to it's 1994 smash hit, The Flash

May 2004

On the Red Carpet, DC's latest and greatest film, The Justice League, premiers to rave reviews. 15 years in the making, the Justice League unites Will Smith, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, Sean Bean, and Lucy Lawless with newcomer Andy Serkis as the Martian Manhunter. The Justice League is considered the Capstone to DC's film innovative Extended Universe Project, which saw several film franchises coexist together.

The first film in this project, originally envisioned as a stand alone project, debut'd in 1989, under the helm of the man known as the Trilogy King, George Miller

And
May 2004

It was recently confirmed that the "Sandman" TV series based on Neil Gailman´s work is part of the DC cinematic universe as well. Sandman will most likely star in the new Justice League movie. In the trailer you can clearly see him in Batman´s dream along with Lady Death.

And

It was recently confirmed that the "Sandman" TV series based on Neil Gailman´s work is part of the DC cinematic universe as well. Sandman will most likely star in the new Justice League movie. In the trailer you can clearly see him in Batman´s dream along with Lady Death.
Sorry, gonna have to nix that. I do accept speculation and suggestions, but this doesn't really fit into what I have planned currently

The Flash was a confluence of several factors. Firstly and most simply, DC had seen the success of it's Batman and Superman films, and wanted more of it's properties to make it to the screen. The two properties they were most interested in were Wonder Woman, due to her iconic status, and The Flash, who had been a DC Staple for decades.

The second factor was the director. Jack McTiernan had loved DC's Batman Output, and pitched a spinoff starring Gordon to the studio. The idea was turned down, as the studio didn't wanna risk offending the golden goose, but they offered McTiernan the Flash movie, and he agreed after perusing some of the comics being released at the time.

The final factor was the man who would play the Flash, Will Smith. Smith was getting bigger, and the studio wanted him to headline a film for them. Smith in return had enjoyed the Superman film, and wanted In on the DC films. Thus he was offered the part of The Flash, and he accepted.

It was quickly decided to utilize the Wally West incarnation of the character, as he was the one being published at the time and the one that impressed McTiernan. However, McTiernan did not neglect the previous incarnations of the character. Legacy was a central theme of the film. Barry Allen was portrayed as a larger than life hero whom West had to live up to.

West would have two characters helping him grow over the course of the film. One was his confidant and girlfriend Linda Park, played by Lucy Liu, and the other, surprisingly, was the film's villain Captain Cold, played by Bruce Willis. This was not a surprise twist, but rather Cold wore it on his sleeve. Cold was portrayed as a thrillseeker, who wanted to train up the Flash's successor so that he would provide an adequate challenge for him. However Cold wanted Wally to be Barry, whereas Linda encourages him to be better.

Cold was backed up by a team of Rogues. Mel Gibson was tapped to play the aussie Captain Boomerang, whilst the arrogant Weather Wizard was played with aplomb by Christopher Lloyd. rounding out the group was Mirror Master, played by Stephen Lang

The film was a smash hit upon it's release. Smith was praised for his Charisma and range as Wally, developing "From Jackass to true Hero" with remarkable skill. The fast paced Action was also given high esteem.

During filming, Smith adlibed several lines referencing both Batman and Superman. These references drove people wild, speculating and clamoring for potential crossovers between the franchises. This excitement would turn these films from standalones into a cohesive universe

I also must say that I was not expecting Will Smith being cast as Wally, and I assume Flash will be his breakout role as opposed to Independence Day.

If you would indulge me, one proposal I would like to make is that if Flash '94 gets a sequel, they could adapt "The Return of Barry Allen" with some cosmetic tweaks and with no "Crisis" having happened in the movie-verse perhaps make Barry Allen's the death a part of a time loop. Eobard Thawne, having recreated the same experiment that birth the Flash and even altered his appearance to look like Barry Allen, travels to the near future where he learns that he becomes the Flash's worst enemy and will die at his hands. The shock forced him into an amnesiac state where he believes that we IS Barry Allen and makes another jump to Wally's time. The sequel would be a straight adaption of the comic book arc (though without Jay and Max Mercury.) Wally overcomes his final insecurities, but Thawne escapes to make another time jump to Barry's tenure as the Flash with Wally in hot pursuit.

Depending on how you want to play it, the third film can chronologically take place after the television show's final episode with Shipp and perhaps Amanda Pays reprising their roles. An obsessive Thawne tries to kill and replace Barry. Barry and Wally would then team up to stop Thawne with Barry making the ultimate sacrifice and thus closing the time loop.

What do you think?

I also must say that I was not expecting Will Smith being cast as Wally, and I assume Flash will be his breakout role as opposed to Independence Day.

If you would indulge me, one proposal I would like to make is that if Flash '94 gets a sequel, they could adapt "The Return of Barry Allen" with some cosmetic tweaks and with no "Crisis" having happened in the movie-verse perhaps make Barry Allen's the death a part of a time loop. Eobard Thawne, having recreated the same experiment that birth the Flash and even altered his appearance to look like Barry Allen, travels to the near future where he learns that he becomes the Flash's worst enemy and will die at his hands. The shock forced him into an amnesiac state where he believes that we IS Barry Allen and makes another jump to Wally's time. The sequel would be a straight adaption of the comic book arc (though without Jay and Max Mercury.) Wally overcomes his final insecurities, but Thawne escapes to make another time jump to Barry's tenure as the Flash with Wally in hot pursuit.

Depending on how you want to play it, the third film can chronologically take place after the television show's final episode with Shipp and perhaps Amanda Pays reprising their roles. An obsessive Thawne tries to kill and replace Barry. Barry and Wally would then team up to stop Thawne with Barry making the ultimate sacrifice and thus closing the time loop.

What do you think?
Return of Barry Allen is what I had in mind for the sequel. It's actually being written at the time is being made.

As for Smith, who did you guess he'd be? He's been confirmed as a Justice Leaguer since the first post XD

I had him pegged for John Stewart.
Yeah, that was the obvious choice. I did originally plan to give him that role, but I randomly thought of him as the flash, and loved the idea XD. So I changed it before posting the thread.

I'll say right now that they'll use the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern, as he's the one currently being published