Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

Should be sometime next year (though I thought that of this year until a 6-month lockdown last year sapped much of my writing energy). The next sequence is a travelogue sequence of contrasting sections between an Aururian visiting Europe and an Englishman visiting Aururia. I think it's about two-thirds done, though given I how I often add sections in the middle as well as the end, it may end up being a bit less than that.
Lockdowns are terrible I agree. Hopefully you could get it out before 2024 I love LoRaG. Thanks for answering!

391F527D-82AF-4FCB-8A6B-7459A1C17879.jpeg

Not completely certain of the accuracy of this—or the scope—but at least it’s a start. Behold, the languages of Aururia! Granted there’d probably have been more mixing of the various city dialects around the time of the Migration, but in theory the cities could act as anchor-points for the various branches…

View attachment 796921
Not completely certain of the accuracy of this—or the scope—but at least it’s a start. Behold, the languages of Aururia! Granted there’d probably have been more mixing of the various city dialects around the time of the Migration, but in theory the cities could act as anchor-points for the various branches…
That's certainly an impressive summary of Aururian languages.

My main comment would be that languages at the start of the Great Migrations pretty much formed a dialectal continuum from west to east along the Nyalananga (*Murray). Within the Five Rivers, the Biral language was mostly a descendant of the language as spoken at Tapiwal (where most of the Garrkimang migrants came from), but things were a bit mixed up with some migrants from elsewhere, as they often were. The dialect of Tjibarr was pretty much ancestral to modern Gunnagal - it's one of the few places where the majority of speakers around that city stayed as being from there. The other such place was Gundabingee whose dialect became Wadang later, though that had some influence from the intermediary dialects

Outside of the Five Rivers, migrants came so much from everywhere and bounced around a lot that picking a single ancestry for their language can be difficult, but what's suggested is as good as any.

It took much longer than planned, but I'm glad to announce that there is now a paperback version of Walking Through Dreams aka Book 1 of Lands of Red and Gold.

Work on Book 3 (for publication) and the next stage of the timeline (which will eventually become Book 4) continues, though life has caused various delays.

If anyone is interested in getting a paperback copy, it's available at the links below (or equivalent sites in different countries), including a non-Amazon site (Barnes & Noble) for those who prefer that.

US: Walking Through Dreams: Kavanagh, Jared: 9798367793673: Amazon.com: Books
UK: Walking Through Dreams: Amazon.co.uk: Kavanagh, Jared: 9798367793673: Books
AUS: Walking Through Dreams : Kavanagh, Jared: Amazon.com.au: Books
Barnes & Noble (US)

It took much longer than planned, but I'm glad to announce that there is now a paperback version of Walking Through Dreams aka Book 1 of Lands of Red and Gold.

Work on Book 3 (for publication) and the next stage of the timeline (which will eventually become Book 4) continues, though life has caused various delays.

If anyone is interested in getting a paperback copy, it's available at the links below (or equivalent sites in different countries), including a non-Amazon site (Barnes & Noble) for those who prefer that.

US: Walking Through Dreams: Kavanagh, Jared: 9798367793673: Amazon.com: Books
UK: Walking Through Dreams: Amazon.co.uk: Kavanagh, Jared: 9798367793673: Books
AUS: Walking Through Dreams : Kavanagh, Jared: Amazon.com.au: Books
Barnes & Noble (US)
Im happy to say I bought Walking Through Dreams. Looking forward to re reading the TL.

Book three is up to 'current day' of the tl right?
Will we see book four soon then? Yippee!
Yes, Book 3 is to the end of the currently published TL.

Of course, the timeframe from "me putting final manuscript into publisher's electronic hands" and "published" can take quite a while. 6 months is not uncommon. So even when I finish with

Book 4 will take longer, but as mentioned previously in this thread, significant chunks of it will be posted here before I finish.
Im happy to say I bought Walking Through Dreams. Looking forward to re reading the TL.
Gracias.
On another note how do you come up with the ethnicity names? Are they based on real ethnicity names? Or is say Gunnagal just jibberish?
A mixture of sources, though it's rare for a name which is directly based on the real people who lived in the same area - Junditmara is one such (adapted from Gunditjmara - also transliterated other ways). It was more common for me to use a name of a place or word in a language to represent a people or vice versa (for instance, the Neeburra is an adaptation of the name / nickname "Goonneeburra" for the people of the Darling Downs). And sometimes it was just based on sounds in various languages (Gunnagal is an example of the latter).

I used this approach for a couple of reasons. One is that words and languages would have diverged differently with a POD 20,000+ years in the past, so I'm not trying to use too many real ones. And the other is to emphasise that I am not trying to depict specific real peoples - these are different peoples whose cultures have developed along different paths.

Just finished Walking Through Dreams and I loved it. Can't wait for the second book, though I recognize that its not simple. If I had one note I would say the maps would have been better in color.

Also another question I had, what is the fate of the Thylacine? I know the Moa, at least to a point, end up surviving in Aururia, but what about the Thylacine?

Given that the OTL settlers hunted it into extinction does it fare better under the Tjuini and Kurnawal? Since the Palawa didn’t hunt it to extinction OTL I doubt they would have, but with the Cider Isle settled I don’t know what would happen.

Also another question I had, what is the fate of the Thylacine? I know the Moa, at least to a point, end up surviving in Aururia, but what about the Thylacine?

Given that the OTL settlers hunted it into extinction does it fare better under the Tjuini and Kurnawal? Since the Palawa didn’t hunt it to extinction OTL I doubt they would have, but with the Cider Isle settled I don’t know what would happen.
They all died earlier than otl.

Just finished Walking Through Dreams and I loved it. Can't wait for the second book, though I recognize that its not simple. If I had one note I would say the maps would have been better in color.
Glad you liked it.

Re: the maps, those were designed primarily for the ebook version, where the advice of the map designer was that greyscale maps are better. (Because of the variety of ebook readers being used, and also because of those who don't have full colour vision).

Separate maps for paperbacks unfortunately aren't practical, so it remains greyscale.

The Tassie tiger suffers unfortunately from the introduction of the dingo into Tasmania.

A recent study I read concluded that the dingo didn't "out-compete" the Tassie Tiger on mainland Australia. What actually happened was direct predation - female (and subadult male) Tassie tigers were within the prey range for dingos, and so were actually eaten that way. Much the same as happens with foxes in Australia today - the fox problem would be less of a problem if there were more dingos roaming free to eat them.
They all died earlier than otl.
I'm not sure of the exact timeframe that would be required for the dingo to wipe out the Tasmanian tiger, but they are most likely gone by the time Europeans reach there. (About seven centuries have passed since ). If not gone now, they probably will be soon - it's too late for anyone to do much about it and there's no-one who both knows enough, cares enough, and has the power to stop it.

The moa around *Batemans Bay survive as of the "present day" of the timeline, although there's no guarantees they'll last. It requires active intervention by local rulers, and the ongoing social breakdown and challenges may make that difficult.

The moa around *Batemans Bay survive as of the "present day" of the timeline, although there's no guarantees they'll last. It requires active intervention by local rulers, and the ongoing social breakdown and challenges may make that difficult.
I could see the moa being reintroduced to new Zealand's islands as they'd have the environment the moa enjoys and would not have predators that could eat them. I'd guess the reason why is the kings of aotearoa would want them as status symbols, and the island would act as a barrier against invasive species and poaching them.

PS what European/American crops would enter aotearoa? Potatoes, oca and ullaco could be a boon to every farmer, and quinoa would be good too. Wheat should still be usable, and millet, buckwheat and rye would still be very useful for using marginal lands.

A recent study I read concluded that the dingo didn't "out-compete" the Tassie Tiger on mainland Australia. What actually happened was direct predation - female (and subadult male) Tassie tigers were within the prey range for dingos, and so were actually eaten that way. Much the same as happens with foxes in Australia today - the fox problem would be less of a problem if there were more dingos roaming free to eat them.
Is it this one?

I could see the moa being reintroduced to new Zealand's islands as they'd have the environment the moa enjoys and would not have predators that could eat them. I'd guess the reason why is the kings of aotearoa would want them as status symbols, and the island would act as a barrier against invasive species and poaching them.
The risk is actually people. Moas were quite vulnerable to human hunting, both of adults and eggs, and were slow-maturing (10 years to reach breeding age regardless of species). A destabilised political environment on Aotearoa doesn't help stop the hunting of them.
PS what European/American crops would enter aotearoa? Potatoes, oca and ullaco could be a boon to every farmer, and quinoa would be good too. Wheat should still be usable, and millet, buckwheat and rye would still be very useful for using marginal lands.
The thing about Māori farming ITTL is that it makes heavy use of a particular style of farming which isn't easily adaptable to European (or most American) crops. They use perennial tubers and perennial trees, with negligible plowing and a great deal of use of crops to replenish the soil. Switching to, say, wheat or quinoa is not just a matter of using a new crop, it's a matter of switching to a whole new style of farming. It doesn't necessarily go well together.

That doesn't mean that new crops won't be adapted, but the process will be slow. And only higher-yield crops (or ones which grow in areas unsuitable for the core crops) are likely to be chosen.

Wheat is potentially usable if farmers switch to wheat and wattle farming as a combination, less so if it means giving up wattles as well. Millet and rye don't yield all that well to matter over most of the country, though anything which can grow in the far south (farther south than about Oamaru) would be more attractive.

Potatoes do yield higher per acre than red yams, but aren't perennial, so the incentive to switch isn't quite the same. I'd expect them to make some inroads over time, but not as quickly. Oca and ullaco would probably be only minor crops, grown for flavour or in specialty uses but not staple crops.

I'd expect crops like onions and garlic (and maybe tomatoes, where suitable) to make significant inroads as flavouring crops rather than providing a significant proportion of total daily calories.

Last edited:
The risk is actually people. Moas were quite vulnerable to human hunting, both of adults and eggs, and were slow-maturing (10 years to reach breeding age regardless of species). A destabilised political environment on Aotearoa doesn't help stop the hunting of them.
I agree, and I do think them being moved to islands would help with it even if its not much as islands are harder to get to. I could see the islands being exclusive for the kings of Aotearoa and the elite to hunt moa.
The thing about Māori farming ITTL is that it makes heavy use of a particular style of crop use which isn't easily adaptable to European (or most American) crops. They use perennial tubers and perennial trees, with negligible plowing and a great deal of use of crops to replenish the style. Switching to, say, wheat or quinoa is not just a matter of using a new crop, it's a matter of switching to a whole new style of farming. It doesn't necessarily go well together.

That doesn't mean that new crops won't be adapted, but the process will be slow. And only higher-yield crops (or ones which grow in areas unsuitable for the core crops) are likely to be chosen.

Wheat is potentially usable if farmers switch to wheat and wattle farming as a combination, less so if it means giving up wattles as well. Millet and rye don't yield all that well to matter over most of the country, though anything which can grow in the far south (farther south than about Oamaru) would be more attractive.

Potatoes do yield higher per acre than red yams, but aren't perennial, so the incentive to switch isn't quite the same. I'd expect them to make some inroads over time, but not as quickly. Oca and ullaco would probably be only minor crops, grown for flavour or in specialty uses but not staple crops.

I'd expect crops like onions and garlic (and maybe tomatoes, where suitable) to make significant inroads as flavouring crops rather than providing a significant proportion of total daily calories.
I'd still think potatoes could function well alongside yams especially if they just let potatoes grow for more than one year. I think it'd be a way specific to the Aururians but they should be able to figure something out. And its true that crops like onions, garlic, other vegetables and fruit trees would be more easily integrated to aururian agriculture than annual plants. I do think there'd be adaptation tho, especially by the ppl who got to America and the south africans where heavy influence from the Europeans may cause innovation to be more prudent.

Buy the way, just a question, I just realized I don't recall much mention of the Platypus, are they still around? Or are they extinct from human activity?

So how flexible in climate terms are various australian species of nicotiana used in ttl's pituri? Would it be possible for them to be used to create a plantation culture in various dryland/desert subtropics or tropical areas?