Jackasses in a Hailstorm: An Alternate 1964 Election

Chapter 6

"The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim" - (The Art of War, V, 13)

+++

The front runner for the 1968 Republican nomination was former Vice President Richard Nixon. Many saw Nixon as the moderate to lead the Republican Party out of the conservative wilderness Goldwater had put them in. The question was if anyone would rise to challenge him. Initially it seemed that his primary opponent would be his old running mate Henry Cabot Lodge Jr., whose popularity had nagged him several states despite not even running in 1964. Lodge, who had since returned from South Vietnam, represented the more definitely liberal wing of the party that Rockefeller had spearheaded. However while Lodge remained popular with many segments of the party other parts saw him as an old has been and the peace factions disliked his strong stances on Vietnam. In addition Lodge himself was still less then enthusiastic about running especially against another Kennedy. So by February 1968 Lodge had fallen out of favor and new possible opposition to Nixon had emerged. The main possible contenders were Michigan Governor George Romney and Nelson Rockefeller. Romney had flip flopped on the issue of Vietnam while Rockefeller was Rockefeller. However both of them, particularly Romney, were polling relatively well against Nixon as the year began. From the "Goldwater" side of the party former Actor and California Governor Ronald Reagan emerged as the Conservative champion.

Over his past 4 years in office Robert Kennedy had built up a political machine with plenty of tricks up their sleeves, much like his brother's "Irish Mafia". Nicknamed the "Alter Boys" they were tasked with ensuring that the president was reelected. For the most part the party was happy, sure healthcare had fallen through and some didn't like the exact reforms, but for the most part there was no major insurgency from the left. However one candidate did run. Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota was a darling of the leftist wing of the party and the campus anti-war movements. He announced his candidacy early on and prepared to take on Kennedy.

However lurking to the right of both parties was the segregationist bloc, by this point led by George Wallace and George Wallace alone. He announced that he would not be running in either primary but instead on a third party "State's Rights Party" ticket. Just like their fellow Dixiecrats in 1948 (the 1948 run would end up being retroactively re-nicknamed the Boil Weevil Party) it aimed to deadlock the electoral collage in order to provide southern democrats with the leverage to destroy the civil rights movement.

As the two major parties prepared to open their primary seasons Wallace was already revving up a machine in the south.

+++

Other Candidates in '68? Pg 2

ABC123DoRayMe said:
I see where you're coming from, but Humphrey, indeed many others who were lukewarm about Kennedy didn't want to rock the boat and decided to wait until 1972. In order for them to jump in McCarthy has to do better on New Hampshire.

Northeastumbrian said:
How much better to get them to jump in and Kennedy out?

ABC123DoRayMe said:
Kennedy won't drop out unless he gets crushed badly in New Hampshire, which is neigh impossible. I'd say a solid 40% for McCarthy for a few others to jump in and if Kennedy gets under 50% then we've got a much larger race.

Bucket said:
So what could get McCarthy up 7 points?

Trekkie said:
Riots in the south from the blacks after the fundamentally destabilizing civil rights movement. Or maybe some of the hippies get rowdy on a campus.

ABC123DoRayMe said:
That'll just help Wallace and the colleges were McCarthy territory so that hurts him.

The economy want bad, so my only guess would be a shift in Vietnam.

Bucket said:
I see. How about Nixon in NH? I know Romney saw himself as a sort of Republican McCarthy.

Northeastumbrian said:
Wasn't the vote terribly split in NH?

Odinson said:
Yeah. If either Romney or Rockefeller drop out then we've got ourselves a race in NH

+++

The 33% that Eugene McCarthy received in New Hampshire far exceeded expectations and threw the Kennedy campaign off guard. Fearing that a strong insurgency could severely hurt the party in the general election Kennedy kicked the Alter Boys into high gear. The problem was heightened as McCarthy was polling well in Wisconsin, the next primary state. Kennedy campaigners descended upon Wisconsin and hit the state hard. Massive amounts of money were poured into advertisements and smear campaigns. Kennedy's record as a "tested leader" was touted while McCarthy was portrayed as the leader of "bearded radicals", even as many college students went "Clean for Gene". The Alter Boys dragged up rumors of McCarthy affairs with journalists Marya McLaughlin and Shana Alexander to be plastered across the state. In the end Wisconsin broke for Kennedy by 52% to 47%. This was not enough for Kennedy and he launched an even harder campaign in Pennsylvania to "bury" McCarthy. Here they were much more successful, with the state voting Kennedy by a large margin. Though McCarthy would attempt to hang on for a while longer he would never again rise to be a credible challenger to the President.

After a strong showing in New Hampshire Richard Nixon followed through with a strong showing in Wisconsin, though the badger state primary affirmed Romney as the top challenger to Nixon's run. Romney made Pennsylvania close but still fell behind Nixon in the end. A four way race emerged in Massachusetts between Nixon, Rockefeller, Romney and favorite son John Volpe. The three way divide between his opposition led to a Nixon victory by 1% over Romney. Romney would win his first primary soon thereafter in Indiana while Nixon picked up Washington DC. Ohio Governor James Rhodes would get the delegates there. Reagan would end up the narrow victor in Nebraska as the vote split in two there amongst moderates. West Virginia and Florida both went for the unpledged delegates. Nixon won Oregon followed by Romney beating him in New Jersey. Nobody even contested Reagan in California. South Dakota went to Nixon.

Illinois was the last primary and would decide if Nixon would gain a majority. He fell just short of the necessary number despite winning the state.

+++

RN: Any ideas Murray?

MC: Bluff. Make it seem like you've got the nomination tied up and you've got a neat little list for VP. The rest of us are going to work to break up this stupid little plan they've cooked up.

RN: How?

MC: Romney and Rockefeller don't like Reagan and Reagan doesn't like them. Enough prodding and this "No to Nixon" idea will fall flat.

RN: Fine. But where are we going to get the delegates?

MC: If the "No to Nixon" campaign breaks up we might be able to shake off enough delegates. But we should peddle for some endorsements to be safe. How about Rhodes? He's got 55 delegates.

RN: He'll want to be Vice President.

MC: Wouldn't hurt, Ohio's a nice big state.

RN: Well I got it in '60 and still lost. I'd prefer Agnew really.

MC: Well you've got Maryland all tied up here, no problem. Come November it won't be so easy. But Agnew won't help us now.

RN: What about Volpe? He's still got a few delegates. Can we shake him down?

MC: I already talked to him. He'll bite, but he wants a moderate VP.

RN: Himself?

MC: He hinted at it, but I think we can get his endorsement even if we don't offer it.

RN: So Agnew is still an option…

MC: Maybe Rockefeller deserves a look…moderate and could unite the party. Even the idea could break up the "No to Nixon" idea.

RN: The New Yorker?

MC: Well what other Rockefellers are there?

+++

Prior to the convention in Chicago there was something of a "Dump Tawes" movement. The Vice President had done largely nothing while in office and many felt that a more liberal figure was needed to appeal to the McCarthy wing of the party. On the other hand some felt that in order to combat Wallace's increasingly strong run a more solid southerner. However the movement was divided and no one stepped forward to be an alternative. So in the end the Kennedy/Tawes ticket was renominated largely without incident.

Despite an abortive attempt to stop him Richard Nixon would receive the nomination on the first ballot. His Vice Presidential choice highlighted his strategy for competing in the south. Winthrop Rockefeller had been running Arkansas as a moderate and was originally from New York, but he was still the Governor of a Southern State and had a strong party machine there.

George Wallace sought someone who could expand his support in the south and help throw the election to the house. He ended up with former baseball commissioner and Kentucky Governor Happy Chandler, a relatively moderate figure who had supported the hiring of Jackie Robinson. While this move would appeal to moderate "law and order" conservatives it would cause some major donors to object and probably caused some hardcore racists to stay home.

A three way horse race had begun.

Chapter 7:

"Hence the experienced solider, once in motion, is never bewildered; once he has broken camp, he is never at a loss." - (The Art of War, X, 30)

+++

Nixon opened the election campaign against Kennedy with a decent sized polling gap to fill. Many Americans were simply apathetic about Kennedy and were not angry enough to drive Nixon forward. The law and order strategy he pursued was effective in the south, but it ran head on against Wallace's run. Kennedy did not campaign much in the South, knowing full well his civil rights record meant that any appearances would hurt him, instead leaving the campaign to subordinates. Instead the President focused on the North, seeking to bring out the liberal vote there in his favor. He promised to finish the job he had started while in office and made a major point of healthcare reform, promising a universal healthcare bill quickly into his term. Nixon retaliated with what became known as "Dickcare" when a Kennedy aide mockingly attacked it. It called for something similar to Humphrey's Medicare proposal combined with a tight series of regulations to ensure that only a few companies could be licensed to provide health insurance, similar to the system in Switzerland. The plan was attacked as overly complicated and compromise rarely fires up the base so "Dickcare" failed to provide the polling bump Nixon had hoped for.

While the President worked hard and looked photogenic to win votes in the north along with minorities the Alter Boys were hard at work pressing local democratic machines across the nation to "back the right guy" and relentlessly smeared Nixon and Wallace. Of course "Tricky Dick" had his own underlings who could do his dirty work. Rockefeller had a machine in Arkansas that fought night and day with Wallace's populist appeal. In the larger southern states, mainly Texas and Virginia, Kennedy remained more competitive then in the Deep South.

+++

TK: What is it Bobby?

RK: I've got something I need you to do for the campaign.

TK: Okay, but I've got Senate races to run.

RK: Don't worry, you'll stay on Capitol Hill, though you're going to have to work with McCormack on this one.

TK: That's fine by me. What do I need to do?

RK: Get me everything there is on every southerner in congress. Every possible piece of dirt, every possible person who could challenge them for their seat, every scrap of funding the DNC gives them. I want it all.

TK: Bobby, I don't like the Dixiecrats any more then you do, but a full on purge…

RK: This won't be a full on purge, not if they do what we want them to.

TK: What do you have up your sleeve?

RK: You know the national polling, right?

TK: You're leading Nixon nicely, not like you were against Goldwater, but we weren't expecting anything like '64.

RK: Well I'm fine with that, but what happens if he starts climbing? Or if Wallace sweeps the south? The house decides.

TK: We've got a majority, even with the "state delegation" rule.

RK: 26 states Ted. 26. The bare minimum we can have, and that's presuming we hold the line in November. Now the way I see it the delegations from about 6 states might end up voting Wallace, enough to deadlock my reelection. Now, he'll offer to negotiate, but I'm not letting up on Civil Rights, so we've got to pressure those Southern Congressmen to vote the right way instead of for those Dixiecrats.

TK: Blackmail?

RK: The threat of blackmail or the threat of turning the party machine against them. Nothing illegal for now. Also tell McCormack we should focus on races out west, where there are only a couple seats per state and in states that are deadlocked or close to it.

TK: This seems kind of over cautious.

RK: I'm not going to take any chances.

TK: Fine. And before you ask, I assure you that there are enough seats to get Tawes into office again, no questions asked. Not that I think its gonna deadlock.

+++

The positions the candidates held on Vietnam varied depending on who they were talking to. Nixon appealed to hawks in his own party by promising to win the war with his "secret plan". He appealed to doves by promising that his secret plan would end the war quickly, and that if it failed he would happily negotiate a peace. Wallace promised to end the war within four months or with draw. Kennedy pledged to "stay the course" but remained open to "peace with honor". Ted Kennedy made his infamous gaffe while campaigning for Bobby by saying "If the reds want to fight for years, we'll fight for years. If they want to sit down and have lunch, then we'll have lunch and talk it out." Nixon staffers had great fun pointing out the similarities with a quote by Communist leader Ho Chi Minh.

Throughout the summer Nixon slowly rose in the polls hammering the idea that the economy was stagnating and that he could fix it. He attacked the "false growth" that Kennedy was hailing as a success. The Kennedy family was also attacked, Ted Kennedy's alcoholism was heavily publicized by Nixon staffers that portrayed him as a ticking time bomb. The idea of a Kennedy Dynasty was attacked with the slogan of "Something New in Washington".

While Wallace was on the warpath promising to restore segregation and southern pride Nixon took a more moderate path. He remained supportive of Civil Rights in general but took the offensive against "disorder" caused by it and attacked more "radical" approaches like busing. Wallace of course retained that the "negro problem" was caused by the mixing of races and wanted resegregation along with his strong "law and order" platform. He also preformed well among union workers fearful of their jobs being taken by politically strengthened blacks. Kennedy remained steadfast in his support of Civil Rights and its associated programs and highlighted how the Fair Society programs helped all Americans. For all of the optimism RFK had Nixon was still climbing in the polls.

+++

Social Issues vs Economic Issues?

WeThePeople said:
What side are you on?

Trekkie said:
Social. The chaos in Jo-Burg, Cape Town is burning. The riots need to be stopped. King Mob is a social issue. Economics don't matter if SA falls apart on a social issue.

Northumbrian said:
Aren't you Australian?

Economy for me, immigration and gay marriage aren't front row seats for me.

FeeFooFee said:
Social.

The current economic situation is fine by me. Pushing for gay rights is more important to be

Hardhat said:
Economic. We can't let social issues cause distraction from economic issues.

R said:
Trekkie's parents were Neiw Trekkers. He's…passionate about the racial situation in SA.

I'm glad we don't have that in the USA.

Rainbow940 said:
You're joking right? There's still massive racism in America. Take that judge in Arizona, or those cops in Cincinnati.

R said:
Minor issues. Racism in America pretty much died in 1968.

+++

Even with his creeping support numbers and an effective campaign the polls still showed Nixon falling behind the President on Election Day by a solid margin. The issue for Nixon is that no one really felt passionately enough about the election to swing to him and the young photogenic Kennedy made a hard boogyman to sell. Nixon needed a big shakeup in order to have any hope of winning.

Nixon's much needed "October Surprise" came from an unexpected source: Martian Luther King Jr. The Civil Rights leader was giving a speech in rural New Mexico in support of Hispanic workers on October 21st when shots rang out across the podium. Three bullets hit King in the chest and another in the head, killing him quickly. The killer was revealed to be Keith Judd, a man with possible mental health issues.

The assassination, though it was by a single individual rather then a segregationist group, provoked riots across the nation around black communities. In Washington DC, In Chicago, In Cleveland. But it was the worst in the South in places like Montgomery in Atlanta.

The President's response was a nice eulogy to the slain Dr. King and a promise to continue the struggle for civil rights. However he made a blunder in failing to address the rioting, hurting him in the South. By contrast Nixon gave a speech hailed as one of the best since his Checkers speech praising the late leader but condemning the violence and promising better control of urban areas under a Nixon presidency. As the President appeared to be wavering Nixon and to a lesser extent Wallace surged in the polls. But would it be enough?

+++

genusmap.php

President Robert Kennedy/Vice President J. Millard Tawes 250
Former Vice President Richard Nixon/Governor Winthrop Rockefeller 235
Governor George Wallace/Former Governor Happy Chandler 53​

House and Senate Results in Next Update.

Chapter 8:

"Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to to them; he over throws their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field." - (The Art of War, III, 6)

+++
House Delegations in January 1969

genusmap.php

Democrats 29
Republicans 19
Tied 2

(DC doesn't vote)

+++

JT: And the state of Wyoming's three electors for President go to Richard Nixon. The state of Wyoming's three electors for Vice President go to Winthrop Rockefeller.

[exited murmurs]

JT: As President of the United States Senate I certify that Robert Kennedy has received two hundred and fifty electoral votes for President. Richard Nixon has received two hundred and thirty five electoral votes for President. George Wallace has received fifty three electoral votes for President.

J. Millard Tawes has received two hundred and fifty electoral votes for Vice President. Winthrop Rockefeller has received two hundred and thirty five electoral votes for Vice President. Albert Chandler has received fifty three electoral votes for Vice President.

No candidate has received a majority of the electoral votes for either President or Vice President. The Senate will now depart for its chambers to decide between J. Millard Tawes and Winthrop Rockefeller while the House of Representatives will remain here to select a President-elect from Robert Kennedy, Richard Nixon and George Wallace

+++

Despite obvious hints from Wallace Nixon had made no effort to get the Alabaman to release his electors, instead banking on being able to sway southern congressmen……

+++

Vice Presidential Contingent Election (first since 1830):

Vice President J. Millard Tawes 59
Winthrop Rockefeller 41​

Presidential Contingent Election (first since 1824):

genusmap.php

President Robert Kennedy 22
Former Vice President Richard Nixon 19
Governor George Wallace 6
Deadlocked 3​

+++

WC: With the Second Ballot still a few hours away from the results becoming public we have a short feature to show you. Though he has had a relatively minor role in the Kennedy Administration Vice President Tawes is now in the national limelight as the possibility that he becomes Acting President becomes very possible. With that in mind, CBS presents Who is J. Millard Tawes?

+++

RK: JOHN!

JM: Don't worry Mr. President, we've found the rouge Virginian. He'll be voting for you next ballot.

RK: How did you…

JM: I wasn't born yesterday Robert, and I wasn't elected then either, I can figure out what other people want. Good news about Arkansas as well, we may be able to swing it this ballot, they know Wallace can't win.

RK: Anyone else?

JM: Georgia could be possible, there are a few votes we could glean. I haven't heard back from the people working Oregon yet, so I don't know about them....

+++

genusmap.php

President Robert Kennedy 24
Governor George Wallace 5
Deadlocked 2​

+++

TK: You're going to love this Bobby!

RK: What is it?

TK: Russell Long thinks he can flip Louisiana for us.

RK: Is he asking for anything?

TK: Assurances that the Justice Department won't hound the him for arranging the merger in exchange for the Saints.

RK: He's got it.

TK: Great, and there's one other thing.

RK: What?

[phone rings]

TK: That.

[click]

RK: Hello?

HC: Mr. President, I'd like to end this madness.

+++

genusmap.php

President Robert Kennedy 27
Governor George Wallace 2​

+++

Elected President of the United States: Robert Kennedy
Elected Vice President of the United States: J. Millard Tawes

Chapter 9:

"Peace proposals unaccompanied by a sworn covenant indicate a plot." - (The Art of War, IX, 26)

+++

Different Contingent Election 1969, pg 6

Utopian said:
To sum up what me, ABC and Bucket have been saying.

Wallace/The Southerner's huge mistake was deciding to sit for the first few ballots. They thought that they could make Nixon and Kennedy desperate and get a better deal. They thought they had a solid bloc. They knew Nixon needed their votes en masse and felt that making him squirm would make him more likely to play ball.

Nixon also thought that he had a solid bloc, which he did. But he hoped to sway some more conservative Northern/upper south democrats in order to build up a better position to negotiate. They both thought they had time. They underestimated Kennedy's preparation.

That was Kennedy's greatest strength. He was prepared to fight in the house from the start and had all of the house leadership lined up behind him. He had the Alter Boys readied to browbeat rebels into line. He had that "list" of possible primary challengers he had read to the Arkansas delegation. While Chandler's endorsement would've helped anyway Kennedy spun it as an admission by the Dixiecrats that they were doomed.

If you want to have a 1) Quick Nixon victory or 2) Drawn out fight you have to change these facts.

GorgonQueen said:

+++

Many drew comparisons to Happy Chandler's endorsement of Kennedy to the "corrupt bargain" of 1824, despite Chandler receiving no compensation for his endorsement. But the failure of Kennedy to win outright would taint his Presidency for the next four years.

The early portion of Kennedy's second term was focused on "mopping up" integration. Schools were integrated by court order. The administration would stare down the last hold outs of segregation and push southern democrats to accept black members into the party. In 1969 Kennedy openly endorsed affirmative action in the federal government. In 1971 the idea of an Equal Rights Amendment was raised in Congress and Kennedy threw himself behind the idea, and the ERA became a focal push for him and he would be eagerly present as the Nevada Senate ratified the amendment in 1978, making it the 27th Amendment the Constitution.

But Kennedy's true focus domestically speaking remained on healthcare. He had his brother and Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy head up an unofficial committee to draft a new plan for healthcare. The group, unofficially called the Bipartisan Healthcare Reform Group (BHRG), returned to the President with bad news. A quick polling of congressional members revealed that a push for Universal Healthcare would fail. However the Medicare proposal or even something like Dickcare would be able to be wrangled through congress. But President Kennedy remained firm and refused to compromise, instead hoping for a better position after the midterms, a fact that neglected the infamous "six year itch".

But Kennedy's second term would be defined by foreign policy.

+++

On July 4th 1970 the Viet Cong launched their largest offensive since the Hue Offensive that had brought the American troop surge.

The July Offensive failed to achieve any of its goals and following it the Viet Cong would slowly be absorbed by the North Vietnamese regular army. However it exposed two things to the world. Firstly it revealed just how much the South Vietnamese army relied on American assistance as almost all of the fighting fell on the shoulders of American forces. Secondly it blew open the credibility act and destroyed the notion that the war was being won. Immediately Kennedy's approval ratings dropped and the anti-war movement surged.

Kennedy initially tried to plug the problem with a massive troop surge, but that backfired and he now faced even more protests. After the failed "shock and awe" bombing campaign against North Vietnam and the Ho Chi Minh trial in Operation: Point Blank Kennedy agreed to peace talks in Paris with the Viet Cong, North Vietnam and the Kỳ government in Saigon. Some speculated that they were timed to give the Democrats a boost in the midterms. Indeed when the deal was reached for US withdrawal in exchange for a ceasefire between South and North Vietnam and the Viet Cong the Democrats got a polling bump, though not enough to keep them from loosing a few seats. The North Vietnamese government and the Kennedy administration also made a strictly unofficial understanding that Laos would eventually fall to the Communists but that Cambodia would not.

+++

BA: Beautiful Desolation. Shame I wasn't the first on it. I would've said something better then "For all of mankind we come here".

PC: Like "Beautiful Desolation"? You sap.

BA: I thought you were going to say something about how such a small action as a few steps was such a huge event is history.

PC: I flubbed up OK? Those steps seemed smaller on earth.

BA: Have it your way Pete.

+++

Outside of Vietnam Kennedy pursued what he called "Consolidation". He slowed attempts to overthrow communist leaders and instead focused more on backing up pro-western governments. He reaffirmed support in Western Europe and South America. He caused a bit of sword rattling with China when he visited Taiwan and South Korea. However Consolidation proved more popular with the Soviets and a slight slow down of the Cold War called detente ensued. In July 1971 Brezhnev and Kennedy met in Salzburg and agreed to Nuclear weapons reduction talks later on, which would eventually evolve into the HALT treaties. Talks in Bern designed to formally end WWII began during detente but would not be completed until 1975.

In the Middle East Kennedy attempted to strong arm Israel and the Arab Powers into a deal, but the stalwart position of the Arabic Powers refused to be budged and the proposed talks in Nicosia fell through. Tensions were raised when Libya, Egypt and Syria agreed to establish a "Federation of Arab Republics", though it was quite loose in practice.

The one major egg on the face of Consolidation was the election of Socialist Salvador Allende in Chile, and the CIA would subtly try to remove him for some time.

Once again the parties readied for Primaries.

Chapter 10:

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it; of fighting will not result in victory, then you must not fight even at the ruler's bidding." - (The Art of War, X, 23)

+++

Prior to the Republican Primaries debate raged about the consequences of 1968. Some said the close result meant that moderation was the way to go while others said that the fact that Nixon had lost showed that conservatism was the future of the party.

The standard bearer of the Conservative wing was California Governor Ronald Reagan who had finished behind Nixon in 1968 and looked poised for a strong run in 1972. Reagan was convinced that 12 years of Democratic government had made the nation tired and that concern about the "stagnating" economy would sweep the Republicans into power. Reagan had managed to unite the conservatives behind him but faced concerns about being another Goldwater.

The moderate to liberal branch of the party was more divided. George Romney had acquitted himself well in 1968 and was considered by many to be the front runner. However proponents of a "southern strategy" like Nixon had pursued favored his Vice Presidential Pick, Former Arkansas Governor Winthrop Rockefeller. Other moderates included Governor Raymond P. Shafer of Pennsylvania and Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey. For his part Richard Nixon refused to jump in or endorse anyone and he went to his ranch in California.

The Democratic side was even more divided, with no less then 4 "major" candidates and many more minor ones. The party "establishment" of unions and new dealers was represented by Hubert Humphrey, the old guard Senator from Minnesota. Eugene McCarthy's planned run had gone off the rails with the Paris Peace Accords, leaving South Dakota Senator George McGovern to pick up what was derogatorily called "the hippie vote". The "Fair Society" wing of relatively moderate liberals had wanted to draft Ted Kennedy, but the Senator had declined, they ended up settling for Washington Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson. However liberal he was domestically though Jackson was very hawkish on foreign policy issues, which drive many to Humphrey and McGovern, especially divide he lacked the endorsements of either Kennedy, despite supposedly representing their wing. Rounding out the Democratic candidates was George Wallace, still angered by having his position of "kingmaker" stolen from him. Wallace ran a populist platform while also promising deintegration. He also threatened to run third party again. A few other candidates entered such as Indiana Senator Birch Bayh.

+++

RR: To quote Richard Nixon, there is a "silent majority" in this country. And we, as a united Republican Party, must work to awaken this sleeping colossus. The silent majority does not approve of the harmful economic policies that have been perpetuated since 1960. The silent majority does not approve of the chaos that has occurred across the nation. The silent majority is aligned with the ideals I have set forth for my campaign. All that we must do is show that to them and we, the natural party of governance, will be victorious.

GR: Richard Nixon's silent majority got him some of the vote but not enough to win. He poured too much into the conservative areas, when the last conservative was elected 44 years ago. The Democrats have built a blue wall across this nation, one that will only strengthen against conservatism. Mr. Reagan, we need to break this wall, not build it up. We need to break it down. We've got to appeal the center who see the far left and far right as equally dangerous.

RR: Governor Romney. You talk of breaking walls, but you've flip flopped on the greatest one of all: the Iron Curtain. Would you really fight the Soviets instead of the faux peace Kennedy seems to adore?

GR: Governor, we must always stand ready about the Cold War. But nuclear war is never the best option.

RR: I suppose Communist domination is?

+++

The radio debate prior to the New Hampshire primary was widely considered to have been won by Reagan, a former actor, over the "wooden" Romney. The fact that Rockefeller was not invited solidified the two as the front runners in the race. The results in New Hampshire reflected this, Reagan narrowly defeated Romney while Rockefeller struggled and many Romney supporters accused Rockefeller of handing the race to Reagan.

The Democratic side was won by McGovern, though he was well short of 50%. Humphrey came in second with the backing of the state party. Just as expected Wallace did poorly in the north without a strong working class vote to boost his numbers and he ended up finishing fifth. The true surprise came in the middling position. "Scoop" Jackson failed to live up to expectations, perhaps due to his criticisms of the peace deal in Vietnam as well as being a little overly moderate for some. Into the void stepped Senator Birch Bayh. Bayh pushed himself as a "liberal able to compromise" and highlighted himself as a sort of statesmen. He'd been on the Senate Committee for Constitutional Amendments and helped draft several. He pushed this point relentlessly to show himself as a compromiser. But he also showed off liberal credentials with his endorsement of the Fair Society program. His role in pushing for the vote for 18 year olds endeared him to youth. It was this, along with a well run campaign in New Hampshire that sent him to third place.

Rockefeller was even weaker in Wisconsin then in New Hampshire and Romney was able to beat out Reagan there 56% to 41%. Wisconsin proved to be Humphrey territory again, with Wallace coming in second with a strong union vote. Once again Jackson struggled to appeal to voters and he finished a humiliating fifth while McGovern and Bayh effectively tied for third, with the South Dakota Senator barely winning.

Florida was a solid victory for the conservative Reagan. Wallace emerged the big winner on the Democratic side, affirming his support at least in the south.

Illinois proved to be a three way race for the Republicans with heavy campaigning from all of the candidates, the minor ones having already dropped out. The primary would end up narrowly going to Reagan and another disappointingly small result for Rockefeller. The Democratic side saw Birch Bayh win his first primary, though only just so slightly over Humphrey and McGovern. Wallace did well with Union voters as was normal. Jackson got fourth, but he was rapidly collapsing.

Romney won Massachusetts by quite a large margin over Rockefeller and Reagan. McGovern won Massachusetts but only by a tiny margin over Humphrey and Bayh.

Romney and Reagan fought hard for the bounty of delegates in Pennsylvania. Romney won by just 3% while Rockefeller was left in the dust. Humphrey, Bayh and McGovern finished in that order and split

+++

[click]

BB: Scoop, its Birch.

HJ: Senator Bayh, how are you?

BB: Fine, how about you?

HJ: I'm doing fine. What do you need.

BB: Scoop, you need to drop out before Oregon.

HJ: What? I've got a chance in Oregon!

BB: Exactly. We can't have the vote splitting. The nomination can't go to Wallace or McGovern.

HJ: Tell that to Humphrey.

BB: Look, Humphrey could still win this. You can't. If you drop now you can save the party from the perils of the right and left.

HJ: What do I get for it?

BB: Well we've been looking at cabinet spots and we we're thinking about Secretary of Defense.

HJ: Not State?

BB: You can be more hawkish in Defense then in State.

HJ: But all I'll get is bluster unless the State department grows a pair.

BB: Would you rather a Republican win in November?

HJ: …I'll think about it.

+++

Indiana and Ohio would both narrowly go to Reagan, and fears of further vote splitting led Rockefeller to drop out as polling showed him loosing even in the south. He endorsed Romney. Both states would also go Birch Bayh.

Reagan would win in both Tennessee and North Carolina convincingly, as would Wallace, though Humphrey would be able to nick a few delegates from both.

Reagan would win Nebraska as well while McGovern would barely defeat Bayh. After Nebraska Scoop Jackson dropped out in favor of Bayah.

Reagan defeated Romney soundly in Maryland while Romney took his home state of Michigan. While Wallace would win Maryland he would loose a nail biter in Michigan to Humphrey, with Bayh pulling out a strong performance.

With his last strong states out of the way and no real chance of victory Wallace announced he was dropping out to run again on the State's Rights Party ticket.

Despite winning Michigan Romney would loose Oregon to Reagan. Bayh would win Oregon as well.

Romney won in Rhode Island in what was quickly becoming too little too late to stop Reagan. Bayh would pull out a solid win in the state as well.

Reagan would win California, New Mexico and South Dakota to wind up his nomination run.

Bayh pulled out a huge wins in California and New Mexico. Meanwhile McGovern predictably won South Dakota.

Reagan went into the Convention easily with a majority of delegates. Bayh and Humphrey both had a possible shot with McGovern maybe being kingmaker.

+++

RK: So Ted, do you want to save the party?

TK: What?

RK: We've got to make sure this convention goes smoothly. So who do we back?

TK: Birch.

RK: The Old Guard likes Humphrey.

TK: Well I like Bayh. And its not like he scares them shitless line McGovern does. Bayah can maybe keep the south in play.

RK: Maybe.

TK: Humphrey can't at all. Besides Birch's got the most delegates, wouldn't be fair to knock him off.

RK: Hmm…

TK: And I think McGovern likes him better then Humphrey.

RK: Hmm…maybe he can do us a favor with the VP slot.

+++

Despite the anger of Humphrey supporters and a desperate debate at the rules committee Birch Bayh would be narrowly nominated by the Democratic Party with the quiet backing of the President.

+++

Different VP Candidates '72

ABC123DoRayMe said:

R said:
If Reagan decides to double down on the conservative side maybe Jesse Helms?

ABC123DoRayMe said:
Seems a little hard right, even for Reagan. Maybe Bush? Or Rhodes is the Democrats still go for Glenn.

GorgonQueen said:
Reagan wouldn't have known about Glenn, but Rhodes would be a good conservative attack. Though not as good in the south as Winthrop Rockefeller was, or as good as tying the campaign to Nixon and the moderates.

Speaking of Glenn, why was that man with the charisma of a rag chosen again?

R said:
• Friend to RFK
• Ohio
• Moderate
• Friend to RFK
• Hero
• Friend to RFK
• Fits "Statesman" image Bayh was trying to hit
• Friend to RFK

GorgonQueen said:
Ah Yes. How about Wallace? I mean he's running out of options. John B. Williams was as good a choice of anyone save Strom Thurmond, who I don't see agreeing to do anything but top a Dixiecrat ticket.

LastOfTheMozambiqians said:
Thurmond ran on the Boil Weevil party ticket, not the Dixiecrat.

GorgonQueen said:
First Rule of the site: Fuck James Polk

Second Rule of the site: Strom Thurmond '48 was a Dixiecrat ticket, no matter what your books say.

Last edited: