It Has Happened Here: A British coup timeline

I am enjoying this. I do have some questions.

1. Why was Carver arrested? I like him.

2. What are the US forces in the UK doing?

3. What is NATO doing?

This won't end well, you mark my words...

Not for anyone. :D

No it won't, but in the spirit of British understatement they'll refer to it as a trifle, or an inconvenience.

A spot of bother, me thinks ;)

I wonder how the rest of Europe will see the coup. Or the USSR.

What about Hong Kong?

That will be coming.

...Traffic Accident.

Hopefully you're referring to the chain of events, not my writing! :rolleyes:

Very enjoyable. One typo I caught:

Thanks, corrected that.

" That was, until Barrie Penrose, a BBC journalist acting on information provided by Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Guthrie, revealed that Mountbatten and his companions had been behind the assassinations…" He already has. There will be blood.

Indeed there will be.

I am enjoying this. I do have some questions.

1. Why was Carver arrested? I like him.

2. What are the US forces in the UK doing?

3. What is NATO doing?

The answer to the first question is that he wasn't so much arrested as he was kidnapped by GB-75 as part of the coup plot. This was because the other conspirators did not feel they could trust him, as his loyalty was with the government.

As to the other two questions, that will be coming up fairly soon.

Excellent story. Fast paced too!
The BBC journalist will struggle to get that story out though.

Thank you :D Fortunately, he will be willing to forsake petty competitiveness for the sake of revealing the truth, and so every newspaper in the country will have it on their front page by the next morning.

February 9th, 1977:

Outside Reading: 1145 GMT

The pub was one of many in the many in the area, but this was the furthest away from any nearby. His bodyguard had driven Healey to the pub after their escape from Buckinghamshire. The officer had booked a room, and Healey had been forced to sneak through the building to avoid unnecessary attention.

Both still wore the same suits they’d been dressed in since the attack at Chequers. DCI Ritley had picked up a copy of the Guardian at a nearby news agents whilst Healey had lain low in the bedroom of the pub.

“So Mountbatten was behind all this?”

“It looks that way, Sir.”

Healey shook his head bitterly. “That bastard. What do we do, Jack?”

“We lay low,” Ritley answered, “Maybe try to get in contact with someone from the press.”

“Hmm…it would have to be a local paper,” Healey continued. “No way could we get into London. The whole city is under martial law.”

“Definitely. Maybe there are some people in the Military who will help us.”

“Hopefully. You served, didn’t you?”

“With the Para’s, Sir. In Egypt and Ulster.”

“Do you know anybody?”

“I can try to get in touch with someone.”

Ten Downing Street, London: 1200 GMT

“What!?” Mountbatten thundered. “How’s that possible?”

His comments were in reference to that day’s copy of the Telegraph, with a headline in bold black letters which read; “Mountbatten’s coup conspiracy.”

Sir Michael Hanley shrugged morbidly. “I don’t know who or how, Sir…”

“Somebody here must’ve overheard one of our conversations,” Admiral Lewin suggested. “Or one of Stirling or Walker’s men suddenly had a change of heart.”

Mountbatten was seething, furiously clenching his fists as he paced around the office. “Now that the truth is out, what do we do?”

“The Military will remain loyal to us, Sir,” Lewin answered. “As long as we make it worth their while. Perhaps a few promotions, some pay rises for the rank-and-file, plus giving the troops in Northern Ireland clear rules of engagement.”

“Fine.” Mountbatten turned to Sir Michael Hanley. “And Michael…”

“Yes, Sir?”

“Find who was responsible for that leak.”

Manchester: 2212 GMT

Crowds surged forwards, lobbing Molotov cocktails as they advanced. Explosions warmed the frosty night air as the petrol bombs detonated, sending shards of broken glass into the air. Some of the more sophisticated devices had been filled with nails, and it wasn’t long before a police officer was killed by one such weapon.

Cars were firebombed and buildings trashed by the furious mobs. Rocks and bricks were thrown, wounding several officers clad in riot gear. As the thin blue line retreated down the road, three green Lorries came to an abrupt halt, and forty soldiers disembarked, carrying SLR’s with fixed bayonets. They wore gas masks and helmets, making them look more like something out of Doctor Who.

As the police line withdrew, the troops took aim.

The rioters didn’t have time to scatter and run. Even as they turned, they were cut down. Twelve of them fell in the first volley of gunfire; eight more when the troops advanced forwards, merging with the ranks of the police officers. The remaining rioters soon found themselves facing an oncoming wave of green and blue. Soldiers cut down four more rebels with their bayonets, for the loss of a single serviceman to a hit in the face with a crowbar.

Ten Downing Street, London: 2330 GMT

“Defence Regulation 18B, Sir,” Sir Hanley told Mountbatten. “It was repealed after the Second World War, but if you were to enact it, it would allow us to detain those on the subversive list without due process.”

“We didn’t worry about due process with the cabinet.”

“That was a different thing entirely. If we’re going to use the official security services, we need this to be enacted.”

“Who would be rounded up?” Mountbatten asked.

“About 4,000 people earmarked by MI-5 or Special Branch as ‘subversive’. We can add people to that list as necessary.”

“And where do we hold them?”

“We don’t have an official holding place yet. However, my staff came up with a solution.”

“Let’s hear it, Michael.”

“The Shetland Islands.”

“In Defence of the Realm” – Mike Jackson – Page 346

With the revelation that Lord Mountbatten and certain senior Military officers had been involved in the assassination of Prime Minister Wilson and his colleagues, riots broke out in virtually every city in the country. As an officer with 2nd Battalion of the Parachute Regiment, I was deployed to South London, where we were tasked with maintaining order and supporting the police.

When I heard the truth about Wilson’s murder, I was in shock. It was early evening by that point, and me and my company were just setting up a command post in a local council building. Although there was rioting in the capital, it was largely confined to the centre of the city, for now, and we were not needed for riot control duties that night.

I knew it was wrong, what Mountbatten and the others had done. I knew that at some point, I would have to do something. It would be just two days before discussions of a counter-coup began.

“A Very British Coup” – Chris Mullin – Page 399

The fact that the Armed Forces, temporarily, at least, remained loyal to Mountbatten even after Barrie Penrose’s revelations was largely due to the promises increase in pay for the rank-and-file, along with the relaxed rules of engagement in Northern Ireland.

The policy of ‘internment’ was used to crack down on dissent in the mainland, but also was instrumental in quelling the threat posed by the IRA and its sister organisations. In the day following the putsch, troops in Ulster mounted hundreds of raids, arresting no less than 981 men and women thought to be associated with terrorist organisations.

“A History of Britain” - Peter Hennessy – Page 691

The mass round-up of those deemed ‘subversive’ by the security services began after intense rioting broke out in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton and Glasgow. During these riots, troops used live ammunition against the perpetrators, killing ninety-one across the country.

Soon, police officers and troops began the round-up, mounting thousands of overnight raids against those suspected of committing crimes against the state…

James G

Gone Fishin'
Thank you :D Fortunately, he will be willing to forsake petty competitiveness for the sake of revealing the truth, and so every newspaper in the country will have it on their front page by the next morning.

Sorry, that wasn't my point. What I meant was that any Gov in the 70's would very easily stop anything being broadcast on the tv and radio as well as in the newspapers. For the coup plotters not to foresee some sort of media opposition and to pre-empt that is hard to see; they would have someone at the Telegraph and other newspapers already even to give warning if not stop it happening.
I'm not trying to dissuade you and I can see this is a major part of your story, but it is just my strong view on that.

Sorry, that wasn't my point. What I meant was that any Gov in the 70's would very easily stop anything being broadcast on the tv and radio as well as in the newspapers. For the coup plotters not to foresee some sort of media opposition and to pre-empt that is hard to see; they would have someone at the Telegraph and other newspapers already even to give warning if not stop it happening.
I'm not trying to dissuade you and I can see this is a major part of your story, but it is just my strong view on that.

I see where you're coming from - I'll try to change that around a bit in the morning.

"...Traffic Accident." "Hopefully you're referring to the chain of events, not my writing!" Oh no. I was reffering to what would happen to the Journo once Mountbatten and Co. find out who leaked it to the press.

Nick P

Donor

I wonder how the Govt would stop the left wing unionised workforce of printers from publishing what they wanted. The right-wing pro-coup newspaper owners and editors could clamp down on their staff and censor them. The lefty papers could be watched but it's tricky unless you have the army/police/MI5 checking every newspaper going out. It's what gets printed, not what the journalists write that matters.

Shutting down the left wing press only removes the voice of the left-wing and promotes their being shut out, which can only lead to trouble once they want their voice to be heard.

Furthermore, how do you stop the spread of this story once a few semi-organised groups get the word out? Short of shutting down the phone lines and pre-emptively arresting every Trade Union leader in the country, once the story is out, it's out. Strike brothers, strike!

There were plenty of pirate radio stations out there, not just at sea but mobile in towns around the country. Those going out to catch them will probably be ex-army types who fought against dictators for democracy. Can they support this coup? Will a dictatorship make their lives easier or does right prevail?

Interesting start to an unusual story.

The criticism I can Give you is that I think as a foreign observer,that is overstretching the institutional bonds and sociopolitics of British society so that the reactions would be so radical and extreme, not only among the small group of reactionary coup plotters and aspirants and their supporters but throughout British society...

The disbelief, anger, horror, pain and the need for justice these feelings vertically likely would cross the boundaries of social class, causing the temporary unification of society and of most of the political class and the automatic alignment behind the prime minister and ultimately be aligned and would support behind Prince Charles made the new monarch of Great Britain.

In summary I think the assassination would deserve its magnitude and extent of fluttering butterflies would cause itself. Besides the inevitable backlash to the Irish in the United Kingdom and the obvious repercussions of regicide as probable and hypothetical xenophobic attacks that could provoke in Belfast and reactions to them and the regicide committed by the IRA in the Republic of Ireland.
So I think the first murder of a British monarch in the modern era, would deserve its own TL or at least a much more detailed analysis.

Another thing that I am skeptical, is the possibility that a man, an aristocrat born and trained in and to the British system of government and its traditions, which was also a member of the royal family ... Lord Mountbatten born as His S.H.Prince Louis of Battenberg,the second cousin of Queen Elizabeth II and uncle of Crown Prince ... not just this group of conspirators dared to approach such a proposal of treason but agreed to join and lead the possible form of government to succeed the conspirators ... in chief of the civilian-military 'Junta' that would rule the dictatorship that will become the UK .

But as I said, the above is just my opinion and my interpretation of the magnitude, as a non-British, a specific event that has been described and certain developments and not consistent with the known personal attitudes of a personality in OTL.

PS.:

At the time I was going to publish my post and before doing so I realized that possibly the sequential updates of this TL, and its unanimous support have made to my previous lines...superfluous and unnecessary since this timeline has continued to develop; based on the premises that apparently only been criticized at least at this level and these specific details only for me ... but since I had already spent time thinking about it and writing it decided to publish.

This is going to end very badly.

I can't wait for more! You had me gripping my seat as I read the last two updates.

My only concern is that events are moving too swiftly. The death of the PM and most of his cabinet is one thing, but the discovery that this is a coup and the roundup. I can already see this all backfiring horrifically.

There are still too many elements that might turn against them. They don't have the full support yet. Plus from an external viewpoint, I could see the French\US landing troops in Ireland in response of all this.

I don't really see the monarchy surviving in this scenario. The King's own great uncle, the head of a dictatorship, with the King letting him kiss the hand, therefore giving him lawful authority. When the counter coup or revolution happens, the monarchy will most likely be caught up in the cleansing. That is unless the King has a hand in taking down his uncle, the monarchy is done.

guinazacity

Banned
I don't really see the monarchy surviving in this scenario. The King's own great uncle, the head of a dictatorship, with the King letting him kiss the hand, therefore giving him lawful authority. When the counter coup or revolution happens, the monarchy will most likely be caught up in the cleansing. That is unless the King has a hand in taking down his uncle, the monarchy is done.

yup, or the king pulls a juan carlos or he better pack up and move to jamaica.

Coup 101?

Surely the first thing you do when you knock over a government is to take control of all the channels of communication?

Maybe you can't entirely close down the telephones, and of course we're pre-Internet here, but the press, radio and TV would be totally controlled.

I was in Thailand during the last one, and the media was the first thing to go. Every station but one showed a picture of the King, and played music. The main official station had a man in a uniform telling everyone to keep calm and stay off the streets. There were armed troops in APCs at every junction downtown, but they were mainly dealing with curious, tipsy tourists who hadn't got the message and thought it was a hoot.

Like I said, it's coup d'état 101. Control the message.

Why not here?

BTW, the Telegraph headline has too many long words, so it would be too small. It would more likely have been something like "Lord Louis' Coup". That's a full page banner!

My conjecture is, that this tl was trying to implement a coup that no one knows about. They want and need to look completely legitimate or the coup could easily turn bloodier then they intend, they would only seize communication and the press after they had failed in that objective. To seize it before hand is announcing the coup. But, they probably would of put spies in the media offices so they would know before the information was released so they could seize control of the media before anything was leaked.

Artaxerxes

Banned
My conjecture is, that this tl was trying to implement a coup that no one knows about. They want and need to look completely legitimate or the coup could easily turn bloodier then they intend, they would only seize communication and the press after they had failed in that objective. To seize it before hand is announcing the coup. But, they probably would of put spies in the media offices so they would know before the information was released so they could seize control of the media before anything was leaked.

It also depends on the age of the author I think, its hard to remember a time when the media was just BBC, Channel 4, ITV and how much control could be had if the government wanted to lockdown something.

I think it is perfectly possible for the coup plotters to have cocked up on information control. Given the feelings of the British establishment and in officer's messes etc they would have had a very limited pool of persons who could advise without getting rumbled.

The idea of a harsh clamp down is not out of keeping with the period nor is the very rapid development of at least one...and I would suspect more counter-coup plots very quickly. The problem would be the paranoia that would quickly envelop everything and that would soon likely become a problem for Mountbatten as he realises his failure to deliver order undermines his position even within his narrow circle and that cracking down within that circle is the only way to ensure his own survival but will further loosen its loyalty.

In OTL it took him about two seconds to work that out that would happen, here clearly he has not and being caught up in the fun of things it won't hit home for a bit but it will hit home.