Islamic names for western places/nations

Caliph in Islam, Cardinals in Catholicism. Irony. (I know Pope would be a better parallel, but as Arabic doesn't have the letters P or O, it would be something like Al-Bubiya if I had done that joke, which sounds more like the sort of thing a Muslim Torq would call a country ;) )

And the wind blows.... shwoooshh......

Caliph in Islam, Cardinals in Catholicism. Irony. (I know Pope would be a better parallel, but as Arabic doesn't have the letters P or O, it would be something like Al-Bubiya if I had done that joke, which sounds more like the sort of thing a Muslim Torq would call a country ;) )

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hate to imagine what Arabic would make of some of the Pacific NW tribes in America. Consonant string of 16 letters!

I think for Eire it'll become Al-Airiyah, and Northumbria will (may) become Al-Nurthumbur(iyah)...

Gah, I typed the wrong version of Al-Eyir again... >.<

I'm not so sure about your Islamic Ireland name, it looks like someone took my version, sliced it open, removed its insides, stuffed it full of vowels, and left it butchered in the street.

Gah, I typed the wrong version of Al-Eyir again... >.<

I'm not so sure about your Islamic Ireland name, it looks like someone took my version, sliced it open, removed its insides, stuffed it full of vowels, and left it butchered in the street.

All I did was only saying my version of the name of Islamic Eire. Anyway how is the name "Eire" spelled ? Is it "Eyre" as in "Eye"? Or is it "Ay" as in "came" ?

All I did was only saying my version of the name of Islamic Eire. I think we should look at be how is the name "Eire" spelled. Is it "Eyre" as in "Eye"? Or is it "Ay" as in "came" ?

That would be the pronunciation, actually, and it is Eye-ah, not Ay-ah.

Don't mean to be such a git here, sorry...

Is "al-" the only article in Arabic though? I know that in Jerusalem there is a road called the "el-Wad Street", so could there be a possibility of an "el-" name showing up here.

Oh yea, and Québec in Arabic: كوبيك. What is that in English?

1)Is "al-" the only article in Arabic though? I know that in Jerusalem there is a road called the "el-Wad Street", so could there be a possibility of an "el-" name showing up here.

2)Oh yea, and Québec in Arabic: كوبيك. What is that in English?

1)Whether "A" or "E" or any other stand alone vowel, in Arabic you use the same letter for all those, Alif :
ا

2)It can be read as Kuwabaik, Kwibiik, or Kuwabiik.

Last edited:

Leo Caesius

Banned
1)Whether "A" or "E" or any other stand alone vowel, in Arabic you use the same letter for all those, Alif :
ا
That's merely a "seat" which carries the hamza, which itself carries the vowel. The vowel is a fatha, which is traditionally pronounced like the a in cat, but (thanks to the miracle of imaala) is often colloquially pronounced like the e in bet.

The Arabic article consists of three parts: an alif with hamza, which carries a vowel, and the letter l, which frequently assimilates to the following letter (as in 3). Note too that the alif-hamza disappears after another vowel (as in 2 or 4), so the "base form" of the article, al- (seen in 1), is actually quite rare.

1. al-maktab "the office"
2. fi-l-maktab "in the office"
3. ash-sharq "the East"
4. fi-sh-sharq "in the East"

Note that alif-lam (al-) would be written in all of these words, but neither the alif nor the lam are pronounced in 4.

2)It can be read as Kuwabaik, Kwibiik, or Kuwabiik.
Or Kuubiik, for that matter.

Thande

Donor
I wonder what a direct translation of Northumbria (i.e. (Land) north of the river Humber) would be...