How likely is Balkanised America?

I do not know how likely a balkanised North America is, but I do have some ideas for potential countries:

Well, how far would Atlantic states like Virginia and New York be able to stretch inland before fragmentation occurs?

I think that the Mods may be pissed over the resurection of a 4 year old thread:rolleyes:
Quite.

Theseus: You are new here, but you should know that replying to very old threads (resurrecting them from the dead; necromancy) is strongly discouraged on this site.
I believe the generally accepted practice is to create a new thread, with a link to the old one, and then make your comments in that new thread.

"Old" being defined as ... hmmm... 6 months to a year, probably. Anything older than a year is definitely too old.

The exception to this being threads you created yourself. My TL, for instance has had gaps of over a year between times I was able to constructively add anything, and that's OK.

That sounds like quite a good idea for a TL. Too often the failed-constitutional-convention idea seems to assume that America will stay forever separated, ignoring the fact that the shared language, heritage and interests might well re-spark unionism when 19th century nationalism comes along.

It didn't cause Canada and the USA to unite in our timeline. In Europe's history, nations generally united to kick out or guard against an alien threat. Without that foreign threat, I can't see an independent Virginia, New York etc uniting.

Faeelin

Banned
That sounds like quite a good idea for a TL. Too often the failed-constitutional-convention idea seems to assume that America will stay forever separated, ignoring the fact that the shared language, heritage and interests might well re-spark unionism when 19th century nationalism comes along.

Actually, nobody seems to remember that even antifederalists wanted a stronger state; they just disagreed on what it should look like.

But America developing through gradual reforms isn't as interesting as Americans envying the dead in the ruins of Mount Vernon.

Quite.

Theseus: You are new here, but you should know that replying to very old threads (resurrecting them from the dead; necromancy) is strongly discouraged on this site.
I believe the generally accepted practice is to create a new thread, with a link to the old one, and then make your comments in that new thread.

"Old" being defined as ... hmmm... 6 months to a year, probably. Anything older than a year is definitely too old.

The exception to this being threads you created yourself. My TL, for instance has had gaps of over a year between times I was able to constructively add anything, and that's OK.

May I ask what the reason behind this is?

The most countries I could see happening in Canada are one Newfoundland/Labrador, one Nova Scotia/New Brunswick, one Pacific, one Ontario, one Francophone Quebec, and a couple small Natives that managed to gain sovereignty, a more realistic assumption is two East Coast/Central, one francophone, and one Pacific.

NothingNow

Banned
On the Nationalistic sentiment thing, that might work for a New England as a whole, along with the Middle Colonies, but South Carolina and Georgia will be quite different, and East Florida would likely be passed around a lot, with different areas going different ways. St Augustine might remain heavily Minorcan.

The Gulf would likely just become a solid Cajun/Creole/Choctaw/etc. conglomeration between say the Sabine and Apalachicola rivers, with heavier spanish influence west of the Sabine.

Also, no-one would fuck with the Cherokee or Seminoles probably.

Because it's been dead for years.
Also, it's proper netiquette, and always has been.

According to Benedict Anderson, the American "nation building" was, to say the least, a huge boost to the birth of 19th century nationalism in general.

Quite.

I'm sorry :( - didn't know it...

Yes, that occured to me as well... Why? Anyhow, this will be my last post on this too old thread (I justed posted on it because I like balkansation of particularly America).