How could Germany defeat the USSR in WWII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what they did. However it wasn't until they attempted to switch sides that they did that, at which points they were frankly enemies.

Because there was so much amity between the two prior to 1939, what with Mussolini being the only man in history to deter Hitler and jumping into the war in a way even Hitler realized was always pure opportunism. :rolleyes:

Germany reduced to what now?

What it was in 1945. Rubble and the charred ashes of what Hitler had built. There was nothing in Nazi Germany that indicated it respected anything other than an irresistibly superior force.

Because there was so much amity between the two prior to 1939, what with Mussolini being the only man in history to deter Hitler and jumping into the war in a way even Hitler realized was always pure opportunism. :rolleyes:
I was talking about Hungary and Italy. Whoever said anything about Mussolini managing to "deter" Hitler? The Bulgarian Czar and Finnish President stood up to him.

I was talking about Hungary and Italy. Whoever said anything about Mussolini managing to "deter" Hitler? The Bulgarian Czar and Finnish President stood up to him.

Hitler tried to annex Austria in 1934, Mussolini made him STFU and sit down by moving the Italian Army to the Brenner Pass. There is standing up to Hitler when he's clearly lost his annihilation-war with the Soviets and there's standing up to Hitler when he hasn't even gotten started yet.

I'm starting to think that we need a stickied megathread for Barbarossa and its variants along the lines of that which exists for the sea mammal.

German invasion of Russia

For Germany to have a chance of defeating the Soviet Union they would have to take the Suez Canal and the Middle East. This secures their southern flank and also let's them attack Russia from the south. The Germans had to attack in 1941 because the Soviets would have become too powerful. The Germans should have acted as liberators and used the hatred towards the Soviets to their advantage. In Barbarossa they had to take Moscow in the first attack and not divert army group centre to Kiev. Murmansk should also be taken to stop supplies coming in. I believe the Germans could have taken Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad. After that it depends what happens to the Red Army. If they collapse then their will be a peace treaty. But if they keep fighting then the war would bog down in stalemate.

Status
Not open for further replies.