Henry VIII dies in 1536

Too late to submit potential matches for Elizabeth? Hopefully not.

I submit, Archibald Campbell 5th Earl of Argyll. Would help strengthen the Anglo-Scot matchup. No claim to either throne. Possibly infertile.

Uh, it would defeat the purpose of keeping Elizabeth from being a protestant magnet by wedding her to a protestant. So, no, Campbell is nowhere near a candidate.

Uh, it would defeat the purpose of keeping Elizabeth from being a protestant magnet by wedding her to a protestant. So, no, Campbell is nowhere near a candidate.

It's said that he supported the catholic Mary Queen of Scots. Why wouldn't he support Mary Tudor and the Scottish King James. Besides Elizabeth will be raised under Mary's watching eye. Doubtful that she'd be willing to be a figure head for the protestants and Campbell would have no real reason to spark a rebellion, especially against his own King.

Okay, once more, with feeling: Any family with known protestant leanings is out. Foreign (not English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish) is out. No younger sons of France, no religiously suspect families of the realm (Edward Seymour's sons were delisted for this one, as was Henry Hastings). This Campbell family is flirting with Calvinism, so, no, their son is not even on the long list. And people spark rebellions for less than a kingdom. The pilgrimage of grace OTL was meant to bring the King around to their point of view, not replace him.

Think the Duke of Norfolk remained catholic throughout OTL Henry VIII's reign. Possibly the Earl of Arundel too. So Howards might be good, believe it or not. Or possibly Arundel's family.

Not that I'm any great expert or anything...

Currently, the hand of Lady Elizabeth Tudor is open to the following: Henry Brandon (b 1535), who will be Duke of Suffolk; Thomas Howard (b. 1537), future Duke of Norfolk and Henry Stanley (b. 1531), in line for the Earldom of Derby. The Earl of Ormonde's offer was declined due to questions with regard to his religion. The Earl of Huntley's suit was declined due to questions of family loyalty above loyalty to the monarch (and some things the Earl said to Edward Lee, Archbishop of York during the semi-annual government meeting in York). Final pleas or protests are being entertained for the trio remaining.

Currently, the hand of Lady Elizabeth Tudor is open to the following: Henry Brandon (b 1535), who will be Duke of Suffolk; Thomas Howard (b. 1537), future Duke of Norfolk and Henry Stanley (b. 1531), in line for the Earldom of Derby. The Earl of Ormonde's offer was declined due to questions with regard to his religion. The Earl of Huntley's suit was declined due to questions of family loyalty above loyalty to the monarch (and some things the Earl said to Edward Lee, Archbishop of York during the semi-annual government meeting in York). Final pleas or protests are being entertained for the trio remaining.

Whoever gets to marry Elizabeth, it will be someone Mary believes will be able to keep Lady Elizabeth, "in line"...

Also, I should add that all my readings on Elizabeth prove her to be of a very pragmatic mind. She will probably be very scrupulous in her observance of the Catholic Religion, and I fully expect her to be the very model of loyalty to his sister, the Queen...

Whoever gets to marry Elizabeth, it will be someone Mary believes will be able to keep Lady Elizabeth, "in line"...

Also, I should add that all my readings on Elizabeth prove her to be of a very pragmatic mind. She will probably be very scrupulous in her observance of the Catholic Religion, and I fully expect her to be the very model of loyalty to his sister, the Queen...

So, who are you rooting for and why?

I'd say, out of the three options, the Howard one is the most likely. Henry Brandon has his own issues and even if he isn't actually in line to the throne, his sisters are and that sort of connection mixed with actual royal blood makes him dangerous (it'd be stupid of him to try for the throne, but still in the back of Mary's mind). Thomas Howard is the only potential Duke left then. However, the familial connection might work against him. It depends on what you want to need.

For those who are interested: Thomas Howard is the second cousin of Elizabeth Tudor; Henry Stanley is the second cousin once removed of Elizabeth Tudor; and Henry Brandon is a first cousin but only through affinity (Charles Brandon married her aunt Mary, they don't actually share 'blood').

31 October 1541 – 5 January 1542

The loss of a child weighed heavily on Mary; she wished to have the succession more stable. To that end, Parliament was presented with her wishes for England: that the so-styled Lady Elizabeth Tudor be removed from the succession due to the illegality of her mother’s marriage to King Henry VIII. The marriage was ruled in law to be bigamous and against the laws of God (due to Henry’s relationship with Anne’s older sister) and Henry VIII’s will was set aside by the same legal body that had sanctioned the ‘marriage’. It also had an unexpected result: foreign offers for her hand stopped almost at once. (Most had been from Protestant Princes, but they were offers recognizing the marriage to Anne Boleyn as legal.) To Elizabeth it made little difference, she was still styled Lady, and her education continued as befitted her future as the wife of a courtier.

Thomas Seymour wrote again, this time requesting an honorable wife, “as the Earl of Northumberland received upon petitioning their majesties” – since it seemed fair to obtain him a wife, they found one among Elizabeth’s relatives: Catherine Carey, her first cousin. The marriage arrangement between Carey and Francis Knollys had foundered on Knollys’ suspicious correspondence with known reformists. Thomas was recalled from the Vatican and the couple were wed at Christmas, with Seymour taking the properties Catherine’s late grandfather Sir Thomas Boleyn had left the crown and receiving his titles as well. The new Earl of Wiltshire was less happy to learn that his bride had reformist leanings; however, she was young and now burdened with running a great estate.

HELP
Let me preface this with: this is turning out to be a lot more fun than I thought it would be! However, I've got two (and a half - if you count the bullets for H8 & KoA wed in 1505) stories going here and half a dozen of my own and I need someone who can 'beta' this one. I need: foreign expertise! My brain hurts from running eight (actually, it's more) stories and this one needs more attention than I can give it. What's going on vis a vis the continent, I've got to find a competent person (meaning NOT Edward Seymour) to begin reformation in England and Scotland (I don't need to keep catching them, so I'm thinking Scotland's where it's going to start). What wars might they get involved in? etc......

PM me if you think you're up to it. And it doesn't have to be just one person.....

6 January – April 1542

Catherine Wriothesley, due to give birth later in the month, delivered a stillborn daughter on the Feast of the Epiphany and after a two-week battle with childbed fever, died, ending her former husband’s worries about what to tell her sons about her death. He could now tell them she died in childbed rather than was executed for treason.

By the end of February Mary knew she was pregnant once more. James, looking at their growing family, privately mused that removing Elizabeth officially from the succession, like the removal of Margaret Douglas, had been more for the public than actual fears of their accession to the throne. He was carefully looking at the three remaining candidates for Elizabeth’s hand; a dispensation would be needed for all of them, but Archbishop Pole assured him that there would be no problem on that matter. It might come down to a question of dowry, James believed. The perpetually cash-strapped Charles Brandon might need a larger one than say, Henry Howard.

Countess Jane Percy was granted the wardship of her late husband’s heir, despite an appeal by her brother-in-law Ingelram to have it. His primary purpose was to get control of the estates, revealed when he argued about her not being experienced in the running of such estates and he could run them much more efficiently. He had no response for the question about how, being so inexperienced, she had managed to regain control of two properties Henry Percy had practically given away.

With April came the elevation of Alexander to Duke of York and Edward to Duke of Richmond; their households were appointed and the question of when to send Jamie to Ludlow arose. James wished him to go sooner than his mother wished; in the end, they agreed that his tenth birthday would signal the beginning of his experience with government.

With April came the elevation of Alexander to Duke of York and Edward to Duke of Richmond; their households were appointed and the question of when to send Jamie to Ludlow arose. James wished him to go sooner than his mother wished; in the end, they agreed that his tenth birthday would signal the beginning of his experience with government.

You should probably either pick a Scottish Dukedom or an English one not associated with bastards. I'd say Duke of Clarence might work.

Scottish titles will be given in Scotland. Richmond was used on purpose... she's making a statement. There are more children coming.

VVD0D95

Banned
With the number of boys these two are having, we might well see a situation similar to the one George III found himself in aha