GURPS Infinite Worlds Covers

Long ago, when I still had copies of GURPS Alternate Earths, I created a mash up timeline that combined the Aztec and Roman timelines. Since I saw this thread I have been searching my files to see if I still have it but alas it looks like it was lost. I'll keep looking because this seems like the perfect place to resurrect it.

Hmm, this thread seems cool! Which scenarios haven't been covered in depth by a person from this forum, yet? :p

A good number of them.

Long ago, when I still had copies of GURPS Alternate Earths, I created a mash up timeline that combined the Aztec and Roman timelines. Since I saw this thread I have been searching my files to see if I still have it but alas it looks like it was lost. I'll keep looking because this seems like the perfect place to resurrect it.

That does sound interesting. I hope you find it!

I found it! Turns out I posted it on AH.com back in 2007. Here is is:

Tenochca vs. Rome

508 BC: Carthaginian explorer Belsalem discovers the New World.

500 BC: Carthaginians plant Suradast (New Tyre) colony on Cuba, begin transatlantic trade; iron working, horses, wheeled vehicles, alphabetic script filter into Mesoamerica.

207 BC: Romans take Carthaginian Spain. Carthaginian monopoly in New World is broken. Suradast is now completely independent of Carthage.

200 BC: As Carthaginian refugees swell Suradast, Suradastians colonize Kinadast (South American mainland); colonies slowly hybridize into native states with Punic elites. Celtic trading post Manannan (Manhattan Island) becomes permanent colony.

130 BC: Hopewell culture at its height. Hopewell –Europe trade carried on by Celtiberians, Britons, Nervii; potato, maize, tobacco reach Europe.

51 BC: Caesar conquers Gaul; Celts flee to Britain, New World.

9 BC: Drusus pacifies Germania to the Albis (Elbe).

14: Augustus dies; Drusus becomes Emperor.

29: Drusus dies; Germanicus becomes Emperor.

68: Gaulish and Hispanian maize and potatoes replace Egyptian and Sicilian wheat as staples of Roman Empire.

75: Germanicus’ great grandson Gaius Drusus conquers Armenia; becomes patron of Hero of Alexandria.

77: Rebellions in Britain (Celts) and Judea (Christians) are put down by the Romans.

85: Teotihuacan adopts Roman legion organization for its army, begins rise to empire.

Agricola conquers Caledonia (Scotland) and Hibneria (Ireland).

95: Emperor Gaius Drusus dies without issue; the Senate selects Nerva as Emperor. Nerva adopts the general Trajan as his successor.

101: Trajan completes the conquest of Germania to the Viadus (Oder).

121: Hadrian uses Heronian steam engines to dredge the Nile-Red Sea Canal.

173: Commodus executed for treason, Marcus Aurelius adopts the German tribune Vitigius as his successor.

234: Emperor Junius Persicus crushes Sassansians at Susa; Persia and Parthia become Roman provinces.

256: The Great Plague hits the Empire.

300: Collapse of Hopewell trade network leaves Celts in control of trade between Teotihuacan and Rome.

Arius spreads a revitalization of the Roman Gods throughout the Empire that gains many converts among the Germans.

307: Emperor Maxentius begins annexing Scandian, Gothic client kingdoms.

315: Zoroastrianism spreads throughout the eastern Roman Empire, competing with Orthodox Roman polytheism and Christianity.

395: Emperor Titus the Cruel assassinated; civil wars break out.

400: Augustine of Hippo spreads Christianity among the Berbers of North Africa.

433: Attila invades the Roman Empire, ending Imperial control over the provinces. New successor states under “proconsuls” emerge in Europe.

451: Attila conquers Gaul, Italy, and Greece. Roman successor states of Thrace and Africa survive Hunnish onslaughts.

502: Teotihuacan takes Punic nations of Kinadast; it has surpasses Europe and rules an empire from Lake Michigan to Orinoco Valley and from Baja to the Potomac.

527: Ephthalite Hun ruler Mihiragula sacks Alexandria, burns its library; scholars rebuilding the collections rediscover the works of the Heronians.

532: Anthemius invents the paddle-wheel steamboat.

565: Eastern Turks invade China, sack Cang-an, disrupting the growing power of the Northern Chou (Sui). China remains disunited.

600: Plague hits Teotihuacan. Siouans migrate south. The Roman nation of Saxony conquers the rogue nation of Britain. Hibneria prospers from trade with New World. Cahokia founded.

610: Proconsul Heraclius of Carthage takes Roma, declares himself first Emperor of the Second Empire. Most of the western Romans swear loyalty to new Emperor except for the eastern Romans.

635: Teotihuacan sacked and burned by rebellious Toltecs; end of Teotihuacan Empire. The Roman Empire retakes Byzantium.

742: Gasparus Victor, first of the Arabian Emperors, completes the conquest of the East.

767: Aianus Gebir invents mustard gas.

788: Capture of Pataliputra ends the hollow Gupta Empire; India Superior made a province.

794: The continent north of Kinadast (North America) becomes popularly known as Tir Tairngire.

813: Mayans fight with Toltecs for control of Mesoamerica.

816: Toltecs are victorious against Mayans making them the supreme power in Mesoamerica.

848: Conquest of Taprobanc (Sir Lanka) completes Roman conquest of India.

867: Emperor Basil, more of a scholar than a politician, begins the Macedonian dynasty and moves the capitol to Alexandria.

900: Massive Celtic immigration to Tir Tairngire; last remaining pure Celts removed from Europe. Manannan becomes the most important city on the coast.

906: Magyars invade northern Europe. Roman legions battle them to keep them out of the Empire.

920: Based on a misunderstood report of acupuncture, Rasis of Ctesiphon accidentally invents vaccination.

987: Romans establish colonies on Markland (Newfoundland). Celts and Algonkins fear Roman expansion in Tir Tairngire.

1013: The Roman Empire expands the borders of Markland farther south and west.

1095: Last of the ineffective emperors of the Macedonian dynasty dies without an heir. Senate chooses a successor, but it is contested by the legions of India who choose Deoliberus Bolos. The Wars of Division begin.

1152: Eastern Romans found the Empire of Babylon, its capitol the rebuilt ancient city of Babylon.

1161: Kurds side with Babylon and drive into Anatolia while Egypt falls to the Babylonian legions forcing the Emperor to flee to Rome, which once again becomes the capitol of the Empire.

1170: Chinese fishermen from Tsingan blown off course, discover Fu-Sang (California).

1200: Tenochca (Aztecs) enter Anahuac and win victories over the Toltecs. Iroquoians move north, driving the Algonkins into the Romans and Celts starting several border wars, which drain Legions from the fighting against Babylon.

1211: Mongols attacks on Chinese kingdoms begin.

1216-1240: Mongols conquer Central Asia and Northern China and begin driving into the Babylon Empire. Wars of Division end after Babylon makes peace to fight Mongols. Chinese refugees flee to Fu-Sang.

1237: Mongols attack the Roman Empire from Ukraine and Middle East. Magyars who had settled down on the Roman Empire flee from the Mongols.

1241: Mongols drive into Gaul; Romans flee to Britannia, Caledonia, and Hibneria.

1252: Babylon is sacked by the Mongols, ending the Babylonian Empire. The Emperor himself is killed when the Mongols stampede their horses over him

1260: Fons Golias, leading a newly independent Egypt (from Babylon) that controls all of North Africa, defeats a Mongol army keeping them out of Africa. Refugees from Europe come to Egypt.

1265: Cahokia traders contact the Chinese colony of Fu-Sang through the Anasazi and their trade routes. Chinese goods reach east coast of Tir Tairngire.

1274: Mongols sack Rome. Long Night falls on Europe. Britannia, Caledonia, Hibneria, Scandia, Egypt, and Markland are the only Roman provinces to flee the Mongol onslaught. All are independent.

1276-1295: Kubilai Khan conquers Japan, Southern China, Burma, and India. Chinese and Japanese flee to Fu-Sang.

1320: Egypt conquers West Africa and builds colonies on the eastern coast of Kinadast (Brazil).

1325: Founding of Tenochtitlan.

1336-1352: Black Death sweeps Eurasia.

1340: Uzbeg Khan forms Khanate of Urop. Gunpowder first used in the New World by Markland.

1361: Black Death hits New World; Toltec Empire and Mississippian cultures devastated; Mexico Valley becomes battleground.

1405: Mongol Khan Timur dies conquering Java. Mongols would also go one to claim Australia.

1420: Egypt begins trade with Muskogca, Natchez, and Suradast.

1428-1440: Reign of Itzcoatl and the beginning of the Tenochca Empire. His chief minister Tlacaelel reforms Tenochca religion, ritual, army, court and commerce. Toltecs are the first to fist to come under their dominion.

1435: Papermaking reaches Europe after a Marklander named Gaius Mocatesimus steals one from Fu-Sang.

1453: A Tenochca mathematician invents decimal notation and algebra.

1464: Ruler of Egypt takes the title of Caesar and declares the beginning of the Third Roman Empire (still referred to as being Egypt to most of the world). Vows to retake Europe from the Mongols. The new Romans begin building a navy to take control of the seas around Europe.

1471: First new steam engine built in Alexandria.

1500: Pressures from Egypt, Scandia, and Britannia begin to shrink Urop. New states gain independence in the Middle East and Northern Europe.

1520: Tenochca invent first arquebus.

1525: Death of Montezuma II and ascension of Cuautemoc I. Tenochca expands borders further into the north and south.

1534: Civil war in Inca Empire leads to Tenochca intervening. The puppet state of Quechueti is created. Deneh (Apache) is also absorbed into the Tenochca Empire.

1535: Egypt makes contact with Quechueti. They also meet representatives of the Tenochca and the meeting turns out to be a bad one. Both nations see each other as threats in the future.

1552: Autosteamer invented in Timbuktu, Egypt.

1570: Deganawidah and Hiawatha found the Iroquois League. The new league fights for more room against Algonkins, Celts, and Romans of Markland.

1573: The Consul of Markland swears fealty to the Emperor in Egypt. Egyptian legions defeat an Iroquois army that came to deny Markland to the Third Roman Empire.

1579: Quechueti War. A short border conflict between Egypt and a joint Tenochca/Quechueti force. It ends in a stalemate but it is the first time “Romans” and Tenochca fight.

1582: The reinvention of the paddlewheel steamboat in Egypt. The newest models successfully travels down the Nile on its first voyage.

1588: Tenochca sacks Cahokia taking the Mississippi valley for the Empire.

1606: Celts and Algonkins ally with Egypt in fear of continued Iroquois expansion.

1607: Tenochca begins to trade with Urop for European slaves.

1610: Egypt takes Syria and Anatolia from Mongols.

1640: The North Atlantic Wars begin. A series of confrontations between the Iroquois and the Egyptian led alliance.

1643: Steam powered machine gun invented in Egypt by Maximus. Though large and unwieldy it proves effective against Mongol calvary.

1660s: Britannian sailors add lateen sails to deep-draft oceangoing ships. Britannia merchants can now go father around the world expanding the power of Britannia.

1680: Tenochca seize Surat and Goa from the Mongol Khan of India, their first oversees colonies.

1695: Tenochca begins experimentation with their own steam engines after stealing one from the Egyptians.

1700: Flintlock invented by the Iroquois and begins using them against Egyptian legions and their Celtic/Algonkin allies.

1704: Britannia conquers Caledonia and Hibneria.

Mongols retake Surat and Gao with help from Britannia who too are worried about the expansion of the violent Tenochca.

Egypt takes control of Hispania from Urop.

1721: Celts and Algonkins are absorbed into the Egypt while peace is made with the Iroquois who have become nervous of Tenochca.

Tenochca produce their own version of Britannia’s ships.

1726: Egyptian army wins victory in Gaul over Mongols, but is stopped from heading toward Rome because of heavy causalities. They resign themselves from consolidating their new conquests while creating closer ties with Britannia and Scandia.

Britannian navy defeats both an Urop and Tenochca fleet ending the European slave trade.

1730: Flintlocks become the standard arm of the Tenochca army.

1734: Tenochca conquer Fu-Sang and found the city of Xochiquetzalatl (Los Angeles). Most of the Chinese/Japanese population is enslaved.

1740: Tenochca invent telescope and microscope.

1750: Tenochca navy uses their new steam ships to take control of the Punic nations of the Caribbean and Kinadast.

1751: Tlingit Confederacy founded to halt Tenochca expansion up the Pacific coast. Tenochca founds Ciuaceatlan.

1752: Tenochca begins First Muskogea War by conquering the Chickasaw. Egypt, Britannia, and Iroquois give what aide they can to Muskogea.

1761: Refugees from Muskogea flee to Iroquois Confederacy and Egyptian Tir Tairngire after the Second Muskogea War.

1764: Tenochca navy begins exploration of Pacific and conquest of Polynesia.

1773: Tenochca conquer Xhosa and establish a colony on the Cape of Good Hope.

1778: Egyptians capture Rome. Khanate of Urop collapses into petty states. Historians see this as the official start of the Third Roman Empire.

1781: Capitol of Empire is moved from Alexandria to Rome after city is rebuilt.

1787: Conference of Rome begins between the Roman Empire, Britannia and Scandia. It will decide the future of the three nations now that Urop has been defeated.

1788: After months of negotiations Britannia and Scandia rejoin the Roman Empire. They joined after getting the emperor to surrender some of his powers to the Senate, effectively making him a constitutional monarch, and giving some autonomy to the provinces.

1791: Germania retaken from rogue Roman consul who refused to attend the Conference of Rome or accept the new emperor as his lord.

1795: the Zulus who are armed with the latest weaponry from the Romans stop Tenochca expansion in South Africa.

1808: Roman Empire expands its border farther east into Eastern Europe.

1809: Marcus Caelius Tarascus begins his reign as Emperor of Rome.

1810: Dacia (Romania) and Sarmatia (Ukraine) are conquered by Rome.

1817: Roman scholars recatalog the Library of Alexandria and rediscover chemical secrets.

1820: Tenochca invent their own autosteamer. Conquest of Great Plains commences with attacks on Comanche and Lakota.

1822: Tenochca priests discover Uranus.

1830: The first handgun is constructed in Alexandria. It becomes standard among the officers of the Legions.

1837: Tenochca takes Formosa from Mongols.

1838: The Third Muskogea War ends with the conquest of Muskogea by Tenochca. Iroquois and Rome both militarize their borders.

1840: The Tenochca defeats the last organized resistance of the Lakotas, securing the Great Plains for the Empire.

1841: Tarascus dies having expanded the empire into Eastern Europe, but failed to regain Imperial power lost to the Senate. He is succeeded by Marcus Claudius Aeris.

1844: The reconquest of Persia is completed.

1850: Ethiopia is conquered by Rome.

1857: The reconquest of India begins. Tenochca suggests to Rome to partition the state, but they refuse. This does not stop Tenochca from capturing Sri Lanka. Tensions increase between the two empires.

1868: Gnaeus Septimius Aquileus becomes emperor of Rome.

1872: India officially reconquered by the Roman Empire. Celebrations in Rome mark the first celebration of Unification Day (the reunification of the land under the Second Empire).

1876: The Tenochca Empire and Iroquois go to war when a Tenochca army crosses the Serpens (Ohio) River. The Roman Empire stays neutral but doesn’t know how long this will last.

1878: Iroquois ask the Romans for help. Septimius decides that it is only a matter of time before war between the two empires will occur and so decides now is the best opportunity to finish Tenochca. Rome declares war on the Tenochca Empire and is joined by the Tlingit Confederacy and Zulus, while Tenochca is supported by their ally the Quechuetl Empire. The Mongol nations remain neutral, liking neither empire.

The Great War has begun…

I found it! Turns out I posted it on AH.com back in 2007. Here is is:

Interesting, I may do a cover for this.

Sadly I don't have any way to read the scenarios, are there any that people aren't planning to do that I could try my hand at? :p

I plan on doing all of them, but not straight covers. Like I said in the OP, I'm more than happy for different people to do covers of the same timeline.

Another interesting, if also dystopic, GURPS scenario is Shikaku-Mon. It features a futuristic world dominated by a racist, high-tech, Japan, an anarcho-capitalist Brasil, a weird Nazi/Stalinist-lite *Swedish Empire and a rich & technologically advanced, but also highly corrupt, France. All of them starting to participate in a scramble for the Solar System.

It's a really nice scenario, with an interesting, if undeveloped, backstory and a cool cyberpunk feel. Definitely worthy of a cover.

I think Bruce_Munro did a nice map on that one.

This is an awesome thread idea. Look forward to seeing what everyone posts, and if ever get time I'm gonna try writing something on Operation Firefall- one of the plans devoted to taking out Reich-5. Or maybe something about Gotha-Z...

Dixie-2
Here's Dixie-2. Again, diverging during the Battle of Gettysburg, but somehow leading to a different timeline. Different PoD in the same battle, or a PoD later down the road? Perhaps the latter, with the Confederates doing better in the rest of the American Civil War than they did in Dixie-3 (less British help?). GURPS Infinite Worlds tells us nothing about this world but that it diverged in Gettysburg, the CS dominates the Caribbean, the US is poor, and an "appendage of French and Japanese bankers." My idea for this is that after the PoD, Bismarck dies early, and the wars for German unification are bungled by his successors. This leads to the Second French Empire sustaining itself well into the 20th century as the master of Europe. Napoleon III's successors take advantage of Germany's division, and turning the German states against one another, manage to bring Prussia to heel, destroy Austria through a series of nationalist uprisings, and the 19th century ends much as it began: a continental Napoleonic empire facing off against Russia and Britain. Only this time, the French are wise enough not to invade Russia, but rather flood it with malcontents of all stripes that had been exiled to the continent by the Tsars. After several bad harvests, compounded with the humiliating defeat against Japan, the people have had enough and take to the streets of St. Petersburg. The Romanovs are forced to flee the city, and while royalist forces succeed in retaking power, they lose a good portion of the empire in the process. Britain withdraws within itself, maintaining its empire, but eventually falls into the economic orbit of the French juggernaut. Britannia may rule the waves, but Paris has the continental markets, and with China beset with civil unrest, the Japanese dominating Asia, and the Confederates dominating the New World, they're the best bet for British business. By 1966, France is dominant over continental Europe; Prussia is now an ally of France, but not too happy about it.

In the meanwhile, Japan skips the whole "take over the world with guns" right to "take over the world with VCRs," and becomes an economic great power dominating East Asia through soft power. For much of the 20th century, they practically ruled China through their economic might, this changing only in the 1950s when the Republic of China finally got its act together and started smashing some warlord skulls. The Japanese are known much for what they were known for in the OTL 1980s: technological supremacy and an almost machine-like efficiency. Of course, Japan maintains much of its feudal tradition, and has the largest navy in the Pacific above the water line, so it's not quite our own. Asia is also beset by the growing conflict between China and India. Both states were dominated by foreign powers (Japan and Britain, respectively) until relatively recently, and now they are starting to industrialize and become great powers in their own right. This is very disconcerting for the Japanese, who are feeling threatened by these two powers, but fortunately they seem content to bicker among themselves. Both the Indians and the Chinese know they don't stand a chance against war with Japan, but they may win a few victories against each other. British power in the East has waned considerably, with the Japanese moving in to take their place. In the Middle East, the aging Ottoman Empire almost fell apart in the 1940s, before seeing an oil-fueled renaissance in the 1950s. It is now much like OTL Saudi Arabia: a rich, regional power that can get away with a lot of terrible things, simply because it has the black gold.

The Confederacy has the "Golden Circle" in its pocket, is funding revolutionaries throughout Latin America. The Confederacy is not the superpower of Dixie-1 (or the OTL United States), nor is it the poor, backward republic of Dixie-3. It's somewhere in between: a great power internationally, but only because it is a regional superpower. Think OTL China. They are facing off against the Brazilians, who in this timeline have modernized their economy rather earlier (ironically, going off the Confederate "plowshares to factories" model). Like the USA in Dixie-1, the Brazilians have rather taken to progressive politics in order to serve as an ideological counterbalance to the Confederates, who still practice South African-style segregation. The Brazilians are proud of their mixed heritage, and daily criticize the Confederates for being racist. The Confederates, in turn, call the Brazilians degenerate mongrels. The United States is a nation stuck in the past. American cities are all run-down; every Northern urban area looks like Detroit. The reason for this weakness (apart from Steve Jackson Games saying so) is a series of bad presidents, overspending on the military, and a humiliating loss against the British and the Confederacy in the 1890s[1]. The Americans had a second civil war, this time against communists, in the 1920s, which ended in the current regime. It's a military junta, one that wouldn't be out of place in OTL Latin America, which has reorganized its states into massive "regions" ruled by a military governor. The United States (it kept the name post-war) is not a pariah state, per se, but the Confederates aren't returning their calls. They are dominated by French and Japanese financial interests (San Francisco looks like something out of The Man in the High Castle), but neither power wants much to do with the American government.

[1] Sorry, Harry T.

Dixie-2Final.png

Iksander-1
"Alexander’s empire survived his death on several other parallel Earths. On Iskander-1 (Q4, current year 1260), Alexander lived another 20 years and passed the crown on to his son Alexander IV. The TL4 Third Macedonian Empire rules from Kashmir to Venice under a decadent Buddhist Turkish dynasty; its main rivals are the Novgorodi city-states of the Baltic, a militant Hindu kingdom in Bengal, and Franco-Saxon Gaul."

Iksander-1
From the highlands of Bhod to the Alps, the Buddhist religion penetrates into culture and lifestyle. After the death of Alexander III in 303 BC, he was peacefully followed by his heir to the throne, Alexander IV, who kept up his father's expansionist outlook. He finished the conquests of Rome his father started in the 310's, and solidified rule in Persia and India. Puppet dynasties were set up in Carthage, Persia, and Armenia, as Alexander IV had goals of keeping the empire intact for a long time. Decades passed, and Macedon appointed Greek vassals to lead parts of India and Parthia, even giving them the right to expand their own little provinces individually of one another. The system went well, especially as the line of succession became murky and unclear in the 100's BC, but it began to go awry when the Indian provincial lords converted to Buddhism, trying to blend in with the native culture. Religion, one of the main ways the Macedonian Empire held itself together, began to fall apart. The Buddhists began to revolt along with their governors, trying to fight their way through Persia and Babylonia into Macedonia itself. Once the Indian rebel army reached Cappadocia, however, it was already much too late for Macedon. The Achaeans seceded, along with Lydia and Rome, collapsing the remainder of the empire. By 65 BC, what once was the Alexandrian Empire became 24 squabbling kingdoms.

In the first century AD (not that there ever was a Jesus here), the Buddhist militias spread their religious influence into Persia and Babylonia. It was slow at first, but after several centuries of missionary after missionary, groups began to convert. Indian culture was common to see in the Middle East, especially with some sort of Greek influence. The Bhadrapala Dynasty of India stretched from the Indus to the Euphrates in the 300's, guaranteeing the preservation of the Buddhist religion in the Middle East for a long while. Meanwhile, in Europe, things went from bad to worse. Petty fights over religion were common, keeping any Celtic or Germanic tribes from uniting. The Romans built a brief empire in Hispania and the Alps, only to lose it a few years later. The Illyrian League was arguably the strongest power in Europe in the 400's, and they were small in comparison to the Macedonians. The King of Armenia founded some settlements in Dacia and Thrace, even establishing some proper footholds by 450. Even so, there was nothing noteworthy whatsoever, making Europe something of a backwater. However, in the 520's, a Greek scholar named Dimachus set out to reestablish the Macedonian Empire, using the unstable kingdoms as fodder for his slow ascent. After unifying Epirus, he moved into Pella, slowly but surely expanding out of Greece and into the rest of Europe. He took over Syracuse, Athens, and parts of Anatolia, before his pupils teamed up to take Sparta, Pergamon, and Tyre. The Second Macedonian Empire, reaching its peak in the 600's, managed to reestablish Greek culture in Anatolia and the Levant, while also giving it more exposure to the Buddhist religion. After the scholars saw the merits of Buddhism, some began to bring it back to Greece. This ultimately lead to the fall of the empire once more, as the Greeks began to see that the only way to hold Persia and India was to fully convert to the religion the foreigners practiced...

Enter the Turks. They hailed from the steppes of Central Asia, usually absorbing the culture or religion of whatever land they conquered next. After keeping their empire in the north for centuries, they were forced to migrate south after the Nirrun ran them out of their regular hunting grounds. Some began to move west, others moved south into Kashmir. Eventually, both groups rounded the Caspian Sea, assimilating with the Anatolian Greeks and Persians. Most were Buddhist, a religion the more educated Turks had practiced for a while already. Some of the nomadic groups continued to move through Anatolia, welcoming the more temperate environment. Most Buddhists had avoided Anatolia since the rise of the Second Macedonian Empire, as they knew whatever Hellenic kingdoms remained there would execute them before they could do anything. However, the Turks, not staying in any one place for too long, were able to spread the principals of Buddhism without being caught. Many began to purposefully do this, as an effort to get to the top of the social ladder by being the ones to destabilize the elite. For those in the smaller dukedoms, it worked like a charm, as the populous revolted against the corrupt kings who called themselves Macedonian. They continued to spread their power until they unified into something of a single polity, moving into Thrace and Greece. Many began to educate themselves like Dimachus did centuries before, and one of the Turkish chiefdoms proclaimed the Third Macedonian Empire, taking power for themselves. Being Buddhist, they were able to avoid most of the pitfalls of religious fallout. The first two empires had practiced the Greek religion, and were destabilized by Buddhists challenging the beliefs of the kings. This time, they had the Buddhists in Mesopotamia to help them conquer any Greek rebels (as there were many). By 1100, the new dynasty was decadent and sprawling, with more and more of Europe slowly falling under the boot that was the Third Macedonian Empire (not that it was very Macedonian anymore).

By 1260, there are three major competitors to the Empire; there are the Alathians in Gaul, a bunch of pagan Franco-Saxons. After them, there's the League of Holmgardr, a group of *Novgorodi city-states allied against the Macedonians. Then, in the east, there's the Kingdom of Gangaridda, the major Hindu power with a vendetta against Buddhist India. Will the three powers be able to surround and collapse the non-Buddhist regions of Macedonia, or will the Turks prevail as they did against the principalities two hundred years earlier?

J5czVE0.png

"Alexander’s empire survived his death on several other parallel Earths. On Iskander-1 (Q4, current year 1260), Alexander lived another 20 years and passed the crown on to his son Alexander IV. The TL4 Third Macedonian Empire rules from Kashmir to Venice under a decadent Buddhist Turkish dynasty; its main rivals are the Novgorodi city-states of the Baltic, a militant Hindu kingdom in Bengal, and Franco-Saxon Gaul."

Iksander-1
Beautiful work, as always. :)

Hm has anyone thought of doing a map for the worldline/timeline, Tsarevich?

Here is some setting info about it:
Tsarevich, 2002
Current Affairs
Parachronic radiation breeds monsters in a world of slowed social and technological change.
Divergence Point
1815; the presence of the Tsarevich Constantine at a séance further popularizes the post-Romantic wave of metaphysical sentiment, which manifests as patriotism in Russia and pacifism in the West.
Major Civilizations
Orthodox (empire with satellites), Western (multipolar), Japanese (empire), Indic (unitary).
Great Powers
Russian Empire (dictatorship, CR5), United States (representative democracy, CR3, CR5 for blacks), British Empire and Dominions (representative democracies, CR3, CR4-5 in colonies), “Quadruple Monarchy”
(feudal dictatorship, CR4), Japanese Empire (military oligarchy, CR5),
Dominion-Republic of India (representative democracy with caste system, CR4-5), France (representative democracy, CR3), Kingdom of Italy (dictatorship, CR4).
Worldline Data
TL: 6 (many European backwaters still TL5; individual genius prototypes as high as TL(6+3) or TL6^)
Mana Level: low
Quantum: 5
Infinity Class: P9
Centrum Zone: Inaccessible

The local level of tech is like OTL 1920s, disregarding the mad scientist/crazed inventor types.

Essentially imagine a Universal Horror/Hammer Horror film setting in the 1920s, complete with monsters and crazy mad scientists. It's from GURPS Infinite Worlds - Worlds of Horror.

Here is some more info:
About 14million years ago on Homeline, something plowed into the Ries valley in Bavaria, splashing pieces of moldavite, a green glass-like mineral, over the countryside. Fragments fell up to 300 miles to the east, in Moravia. On the worldline called Tsarevich, that something was a reality shard (p. B534). And it was much, much bigger. Pieces fell as far away as Greece and Bulgaria. Some made their way into ancient trading networks, worked into jewelry for Egyptian mummies or set in the hilts of swords. Some were carved into idols and carried by pilgrims and wanderers to Central Asia or the mountains of Scotland. Some were discovered by scholars, and taken to museums and private collections in Chicago, Tokyo, and London. But most of it by far stayed in the ground, in Bohemia, Croatia, and Transylvania. There, in those countries along the edge of Europe, “east of Switzerland and west of Hell,” reality is just a little weaker. Just a little different.
In June of 1815, Tsar Alexander I of Russia took time away from the campaign against Napoleon to receive the mystic, millenarian minded Baroness Krüdener. With her medium Madame Kummer, she conducted a séance for the tsar, Kummer using a piece of green Moravian glass as her scrying stone. The spirits, proclaimed the Baroness, urged Alexander to begin a new era of peace and Christian fellowship on Earth, creating a Holy Alliance of all nations to prevent war. The revelation fired the imagination of the tsar, and even moreso the erratic, moody Tsarevich Constantine.

His enthusiasm was contagious, and acceptance of Krüdener’s brand of metaphysical pietism exploded throughout European society – not least because it seemed to be the key to getting the attention of the most powerful man in Europe. (On Homeline, the tsarevich was not present at the séance, and the medium foolishly tried to mulct the tsar for a subsidy.) Alexander insisted on making the Holy Alliance the central treaty of the post-Napoleonic settlement, and the tsarevich toured Europe inflaming popular support for a “Christian alliance against war.” The pre-existing Russian tendency to conflate the tsar, the Motherland, and the divine accelerated further, driven by Tsar Alexander’s embrace of the Baroness’ divine mission and his acclaim abroad as the conqueror of the Napoleonic Antichrist.

When Constantine became tsar upon his brother Alexander’s death in 1825, he enjoyed a surge of popularity at home and abroad unequalled in Russian history.

While pacifist movements in England prevented aid to the Greek rebels against Turkey, delighted Russian nationalists hailed the Russian naval campaigns that gained Greek independence and “liberated Christian soil.” During Constantine’s reign, he promoted and purged generals at seeming random, allowing ambitious younger officers to rise. This, along with a much stronger local transport and supply system in Crimea – established by religious communes founded by Alexander I at Krüdener’s urging – put Russia in a surprisingly strong position when the Crimean War broke out in 1854. (Also, unlike on Homeline, the brilliant Admiral Nakhimov didn’t get shot by a sniper in 1855.)

The British and French bogged down besieging Sevastopol, while their populations rioted to protest the war. (The radical poet Tennyson wrote a stinging satire, “The Curse of the Light Brigade,” painting the British troops as the horsemen of Apocalypse.) Once the French troops mutinied, frustrated by the incompetent two-year siege and radicalized by pacifist propaganda from home, the War was over. Russia had an essentially free hand in the Balkans and Turkey for two decades, and split off virtually all of Turkey’s “Christian” possessions in Europe, Lebanon, and the Caucasus.

Only the rise of Austria provided any balance. Prussia bid for dominance in central Europe, but the accidental destruction of Hanover in 1866 by an experimental “infernal engine” toppled Bismarck and the war party from power once their role in funding it became known. Germany became part of the “Quadruple Monarchy” under Emperor Rudolf III in 1889, along with Hungary and Bohemia; the new power began to compete with Russia in the Balkans, further splintering the nascent states into a patchwork of co-dominiums, principalities, and pocket kingdoms.

The Second Holy Alliance, negotiated by Tsar Constantine II in 1923 to avert a crisis over Indian independence, remains the basis of international relations even four generations later. Austria and Russia realize that any war between them will likely destroy both empires, and “Christian isolationist” America showed little interest in Japan’s plans for China once Japan assured President Moody that all Western concessions and missionary activity there would be respected.

THE SLEEP OF REASON
BRINGS FORTH MONSTERS
Contrary to some theories, it’s probably not the 150 years of peace that have led to Tsarevich’s technological stagnation, or even the strong religious tenor of society. (Homeline Victorian society was equally religious, for example.) Instead, Infinity sociologists blame amix of factors: the initial burst of metaphysical, Romantic mysticism in 1815 encouraged a much more widespread Luddite movement, and in the wake of the Hanover Tragedy, both law and society turned decisively against technological invention. German universities – the model for universities around the globe both here and on Homeline – closed down their science departments, turning to art, literature, theology, social sciences, and history instead. (Some sciences, like biology and astronomy, survived the purges in some universities.)

In the democracies, Christian pressure groups mobilized legislators to tax the “dark Satanic mills” and provide poor relief with the proceeds. The autocracies were, if anything, even easier to divert from the dangers of technology.
There’s another factor, one Infinity sociologists don’t include: a lot of the scientists on this worldline are, for lack of a better term, mad. Just such a scientist (a Polish engineer in Prussian service, whose name Infinity hasn’t uncovered) destroyed Hanover trying to build a sodium-mercury engine to power a submarine for war with Britain. Other cases were less dramatically destructive, but no less deranged.

One Heinrich Frankenstein built a Creature from corpses and brought it to electrical life in 1905; its rampages killed dozens of people, including a Norwegian Arctic expedition. It remains unclear whether the prevalence of reality shards in optical and other scientific equipment built in Germany, or some other factor, causes this phenomenon. Reality shards almost certainly trigger the numerous vampire, werewolf, and other monster encounters in southeastern Europe – those that can’t be explained as parachronozoids, anyway.
The substrate of meteoritic reality shards in this worldline’s Central Europe (and elsewhere) reacts energetically to the release of parachronic radiation, affecting nearby humans (and perhaps some animals) who possess receptive genetic profiles. For some, it simply transmits dreams from their parallel selves – visions of other worlds in which they are serial killers, mad scientists, or demonically possessed – all of which tend to bleed over into the Tsarevich-based persona as well. (Often, a Tsarevich scientist will “dream up” a method of reviving the dead, turning invisible, animating a mandrakewoman, or creating a vampiric fog. Experimenting with such Traumtechnologie seldom ends well.)

For others, it actually alters their genetics to match parallel or alien versions of themselves: lycanthropic, vampiric, or worse. For still others, it alters their brainwaves, pheromones, or other attributes to make them hugely attractive (or tasty, or both) to predatory (and infectious) monsters. And it opens a few lucky victims to actual possession by a parallel genetic relative, perhaps an executed murderer or an Egyptian sorcerer from a worldline with a “present” in the second millennium B.C.

Last edited:
I have to say that of all the Earths mentioned in this thread so far this "Tsarevich" has to be the one I would most love to see illustrated; it would seem to be the sort of setting that an artist from the school of Mr Mike Mignola would have a particularly delightful time drawing up!