GURPS Infinite Earths

Straha said:
Reich 1 has the US massing an invasion force

Reich 2 has the US on a losing side of a cold war

3 Reich 4 had a nuclear war
Reich's 1 and 2 sound interesting... What else is in them?

luakel said:
Reich's 1 and 2 sound interesting... What else is in them?

Reich-1: BEF destroyed at Dunkirk. Germany and U.S. defeat Japan together and as of 1951 are fighting World War 3. Both sides have active atomic research programs.

Reich-2: Germany makes seperate peace Great Britain (Lord Halifax is prime minister). Germany gets bogged down in Russia and an armistace is signed in 1943. The United States, Germany, Great Britian, Japan and the Soviet Union are all rival world powers racing to put missiles on the moon.

Reich-3: Japan strikes at Vladivostok instead of Pearl Harbor. Without nucleaer weapons, the United States is restricted to "Fortress America" (including Canada and Mexico) while the Axis prepare to strike at North America.

Reich-4: Germany captures the Russian city of Leningrad in 1941. Both Germany and Japan develop nuclear weapons in 1945 and conquer the USA in the 1950s. In 1979, Japan and Germany fight a thermonuclear war in which Germany wins. However, they have a hard time conquering what's left of the destroyed world.

FederationX said:
Reich-1: BEF destroyed at Dunkirk. Germany and U.S. defeat Japan together and as of 1951 are fighting World War 3. Both sides have active atomic research programs.

Reich-2: Germany makes seperate peace Great Britain (Lord Halifax is prime minister). Germany gets bogged down in Russia and an armistace is signed in 1943. The United States, Germany, Great Britian, Japan and the Soviet Union are all rival world powers racing to put missiles on the moon.

Reich-3: Japan strikes at Vladivostok instead of Pearl Harbor. Without nucleaer weapons, the United States is restricted to "Fortress America" (including Canada and Mexico) while the Axis prepare to strike at North America.

Reich-4: Germany captures the Russian city of Leningrad in 1941. Both Germany and Japan develop nuclear weapons in 1945 and conquer the USA in the 1950s. In 1979, Japan and Germany fight a thermonuclear war in which Germany wins. However, they have a hard time conquering what's left of the destroyed world.

Thanks! :)

Speaking of Infinite Worlds, I do wonder what kind of worlds are there on Quantum 1 and 2? After all, Quantum 3 is full of weird parallels such as Merlin-3 and Nostradamus.

So could it be that both Quantum 1 and 2 contain parallels where humanity has developed FTL technology, where meeting alien species is not uncommon and whereby some technologies have reached to the point of beyond Culture-verse.:)

Straha

Banned
Why not put some dystopci but normal TLs on there. Like one with no WWII so eugenics theories continue getting more respectable so we've got nazism indirectly evolving in all of the major states?

Speaking of Infinite Worlds, I do wonder what kind of worlds are there on Quantum 1 and 2? After all, Quantum 3 is full of weird parallels such as Merlin-3 and Nostradamus.

So could it be that both Quantum 1 and 2 contain parallels where humanity has developed FTL technology, where meeting alien species is not uncommon and whereby some technologies have reached to the point of beyond Culture-verse.:)

But FTL is possible under the "normal" rules of GURPS physics (the timeline Caliph on Quantum 6 has both FTL and aliens).

My theory is that Quantum 2 has lots of worlds that are parallels of Earth but where things like magic, psionics, super-powers or religious miracles work, Quantum 0 has lots of fantasy worlds with flying islands, fire-breathing dragons, schools of magic etc., and Quantum -2 has worlds which are truly bizarre, like worlds where everying is two dimensional, or worlds where everything is made out of plasticene. Maybe travel between worlds at the lower end of the Quantum scale is only possible by unusual means, and normal parachonic projectors don't work.

alternate earth books

Infinate Worlds was good but I found the background info for the various alternate worlds way too short. The earlier 3rd edition books Alternate Earths and Alternate Earths 2 have fewer worlds but the ones they have are much better developed. Most of them are worlds also mentioned in Infinate Worlds but a full 20 pages is devoted to each one.

Alternate Earths
Dixie - CSA wins CW and is locked in Cold War with US in mid-1980s
Reich-5 - Axis win WWII an lord over the world in the 1990s
Roma Aeterna - Roman Empire survives and is major power in the 1870s
Shikaku-Mon - Japan is christianized and along with Sweden, Brazil, and France is a world power in 2015.
Gernsback - Tesla marries JP Morgans daughter and gets a lot of money and mental stability (wierd science!)

Alternate Earths 2
Cornwallis - Brits win ARW and the world in the 1980s is not so nice
Ming-3 - Jeng Ho continues his voyages and China dominates what would have been the Victorian age
Midgard - Vikings Rule!! nuff'said
Caliph - Islam dominated world with ultra-high tech stuff
Centrum - the original bad guys from this GURPS game

Each book also has many small blurbs and POD suggestions. I highly recommend them.

Also Steven Jackson Games' in house online magazine, Pyramid, has a monthly feature of an alternate world discribed in 5-10 pages. Subsricptions are 20.00 US dollars a year and it is a weekly rpg e-zine. (And no I don't work for them in any way, I just like their games.)

Benjamin

By the way, since I have little way of getting Alternate Earths 2 or Infinite World, was it ever made clear why Centrum "steals" timelines?
PM me if it is a big spoiler.

@benjamin: You forgot two worlds, one of each book:

Ezcalli, where the Carthaginians discover America, the world powers are the Aztecs, the Iroquois, a Romanized Songhay and the surviving Mongol khaghanate. IMO one of the coolest TLs ever, even if not the most realistic.

Aeolus, where England becomes Catholic again, the Protestants have to flee to America or South Africa, and France governs half the world - until their empire breaks apart, and the republican movement raises its head.

By the way, since I have little way of getting Alternate Earths 2 or Infinite World, was it ever made clear why Centrum "steals" timelines?
PM me if it is a big spoiler.

It's not a big spoiler, really. Centrum distrusts Infinity Inc. Thinks that their world is anarchic and not as unified as theirs, with a Last War ready to go off anytime soon. They want to bring order and stability to those worlds, the Centrum-way though.

It's not a big spoiler, really. Centrum distrusts Infinity Inc. Thinks that their world is anarchic and not as unified as theirs, with a Last War ready to go off anytime soon. They want to bring order and stability to those worlds, the Centrum-way though.
Now that is a massive disappointment. I was hoping for something more unusual.
Thank you for clearing it up, though.

Now that is a massive disappointment. I was hoping for something more unusual.
Thank you for clearing it up, though.

There's more to it than that as I recall; Centrum thinks that if they steal enough earths they can get our earth to jump down the quantum levels to somewhere where it and Centrum are mutually inacessible. I think...