From sea to shining sea.

Gan

Banned
With a POD starting back to the first civilization, can you get an empire extending from the Atlantic coast of Europe or Spain to the Pacific coast of Japan, without going ASB?

mowque

Banned
With a POD starting back to the first civilization, can you get an empire extending from the Atlantic coast of Europe or Spain to the Pacific coast of Japan, without going ASB?

Mongols got very close. Like, really really close. So that would be the way to go.

Mongols got very close. Like, really really close. So that would be the way to go.

Does the Adriatic count as the Atlantic? If so then yes :p

If the Baltic counts, Russia did it too.

If you mean "must conquer France" then that's something completely different.

Gan

Banned
Does the Adriatic count as the Atlantic? If so then yes :p

If the Baltic counts, Russia did it too.

If you mean "must conquer France" then that's something completely different.

I wasn't considering the Baltic, so basically all the way through France and to Portugal.

Something like the following map.

http://i.imgur.com/vO9Dc0f.png

It could go through Russia, but more warmer climates might be more successful.

might be easier to go through siberia and the steps instead of the caucuses .. but again the mongols stand the best chance of making this happen..

Logistics say this is perilously close to ASB. The difficulties involved in communication over such a vast distance would doom such an empire to failure. The Mongols could maybe manage it for a decade or two at most, but isn't the settled opinion around here that the Mongols are going to struggle with the damp climate, fortified strongholds, and lack of pasture in medieval western Europe?

I wasn't considering the Baltic, so basically all the way through France and to Portugal.

Something like the following map.

http://i.imgur.com/vO9Dc0f.png

It could go through Russia, but more warmer climates might be more successful.

I wouldn't say it would be impossible. But the logisitics of the Empire on that map I don't think could work.

A possiblity is some kind of SUPER DUPER RUSSIA.

Maybe have butterlies in the 19th century that allows Russia to modernise better but still succumb to revolution. That revolution could be either far right or far left, but they engage at some point in an ideological war that rolls over Europe.

Voila, your conditions are met.:cool:

EDIT: Wait, are you looking for something in the middle ages or the antiquities? In that case yah, you're looking at some troubles keeping that Empire together for any length of time.

Rex Mundi

Banned
No they didn't. As in they literally didn't actually reach much of Europe anywhere near the coast of Europe.

Western Europe is a small part of Eurasia. Having conquered just the "Asia" portion and parts of Russia, you've already almost reached the coast in terms of total distance traveled.

Now, Europe is fairly densely populated, relatively advanced and not conducive to Mongol tactics, so I'll grant that it's impossible or next to impossible to conquer (definitely impossible to hold for any appreciable length of time, even if they appoint vassal states and administer indirectly). But land-wise, they had less than a fifth of the way left to go.

This might not be what the OP had in mind, but wouldn't a Russian conquest of Sweden and Norway (or just Norway) be sufficient? I can see how the Baltic Sea wouldn't really count, but surely the Norwegian Sea and North Sea do?

I'm presuming the OP means to the Atlantic thru France and Spain, not just the Baltic or Med. Mongols are the only realistic non ASB possibility. And it wouldn't last very long. All of Eurasia is just to big for a single pre-industrial empire to hold onto more than several decades.

I'm presuming the OP means to the Atlantic thru France and Spain, not just the Baltic or Med. Mongols are the only realistic non ASB possibility. And it wouldn't last very long. All of Eurasia is just to big for a single pre-industrial empire to hold onto more than several decades.

No, it would never get anywhere in the first place. The mongols never had a chance nor inclination towards conquering all the way to spain. Let alone the fact it would be a disaster.

No, it would never get anywhere in the first place. The mongols never had a chance nor inclination towards conquering all the way to spain. Let alone the fact it would be a disaster.

The Mongols never had manpower concentrations in the West the way they did in China, I suppose some hypothetical steppe horde centered around Southern Russia could maybe do it. The Huns for example.

With two PODs, you could do it after World War 2: Manhattan Project fails and D-Day fails. That way the USSR likely conquers at least part of Japan and also storms through Germany and France to the Atlantic

Mongols

The Mongols never had manpower concentrations in the West the way they did in China, I suppose some hypothetical steppe horde centered around Southern Russia could maybe do it. The Huns for example.

Mongols did have the manpower - they used other steppe tribes, conquered/subdued on the way...

Mongols did have the manpower - they used other steppe tribes, conquered/subdued on the way...

Uh uh.

Jochi Ulus never had more than a fraction of what the Mongol Empire had in the invasions of the 1240s.

It might be a function of the Western Steppe being generally colder, but they also didn't have enough population close enough to stage continuous wars against Europe.

Uh uh.

Jochi Ulus never had more than a fraction of what the Mongol Empire had in the invasions of the 1240s.

It might be a function of the Western Steppe being generally colder, but they also didn't have enough population close enough to stage continuous wars against Europe.

And as I recall, you mentioned in some thread even in the invasion that turned back in 1241 they were getting low-ish on manpower.

Not to the point of disaster, but hardly able to tackle Germany-France-Iberia without some kind of reinforcements (and just conscripting Europeans - exactly how well is that going to work when sword fodder is the least useful at what the Mongols do best and most easily defeated by what the Europeans have of any use at all?)

D-Day Fail and the USSR "liberates" France combined with Truman deciding not to use the bomb leading to the USSR and the USA invading Japan does this pretty nicely. I doubt that Western Europe will be annexed, but it will most certainly have little power of self-determination.