Frankokratia: Louis IX, Charles of Anjou and the Crusades ATL

You think that would be better? The Latin Empire has good relations with France but I guess it would be best to keep it separate. No reason to bow to the Latin Emperor.:p
It's only logical to me. Also, the Latin Emperor is not in a good position... he had sold to Louis IX the Crown of Thorns and other reliques for money. He was in no position to intervene in Egypt.

Now that's just being optimistic. Granted, I could very well see the Crusaders being pragmatic and savvy enough to placate them with tribute. But to try and convert them to Catholicism, that would be really difficult to pull off, considering the territory in which they ruled and the pragmatic nature when it comes to religion, the Mongols were prior to the disintegration of the Empire.

Part 6: The Horde Approaches

mongolsbaghdad__1200x400.JPG

In 1252, the Mongols began a series of raids into Mesopotamia. Throughout the decade these attacks would only increase, culminated in the fall of Baghdad in 1258. The defeat for the Abbasid Caliphate was total, the Caliph was killed, the capital of Islamic world left in ruins and its population massacred. The Mongols were not yet finished and move on to their next target Syria. Sultan an Nasir Yusuf failed to dissuaded them from attacking the pitiful remnants of the Ayyubid State. The Sultan's forces were little match for the Mongol horde and both Aleppo and Damascus were sacked in 1259-60. The Mongols pressed on even further reaching the Mediterranean and establishing a garrison at the city of Gaza.

With the Mongol now on the border of Egypt, King Robert was determined to insure the safety and prosperity of Egypt. Since the victorious crusade he had built a rich stable state in Egypt taking advantage of the East-West trade routes and establishing friendly relations with all his neighbors. With the Mongol advance this had all been disrupted and the wealth flowing into Cario and Acre soon disappeared. In response to this danger King Robert invited Mongol ambassador to his kingdom and began tribute to the great Mongol Empire. In particular he established friendly relations with Mongol general Kitbuqa, a Nestorian Christian, and for the most part succeeded in keeping the Mongols away from his lands. The Mongols continued presence in the region however still presented a great danger to both Egypt and the Crusader states.

Subscribed.

For sure Louis IX TTL would be made Saint the same - which Pope would refuse such honour to the second liberator of Jerusalem and conqueror of Egypt (maybe even of Tunisia, or more)?

Al-Andalus is a tight spot... If the Iberians would turn to the French for assistance, the cross would likely arrive in Granada two centuries early.

Because, in my opinion the conquest of Egypt was the pivotal node for the fall of Islam in all the Mediterranean. And, of Orthodoxy in the east as well (if the Latin Empire defeats Nicea), holding only in the land of the Rus... France can easily become the master of the Mediterranean.

Aigues Mortes FTW, also!

I really hope Louis would find a way to get rid of the English out of the continent and be the unifier of France as well. It would be the mark for a legendary kingdom the successive French rulers would look with admiration, example and envy.