Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Hardy

Banned
I think most people now like the South African flag but I would like to have proposed one many years ago too. Here, you see the flag of the ANC folded over the previously used one to cover the central small details. The left and right one fifths of the respective flags are effectively unchanged. The centre three fifths zags to still equate to a 50% given area.

Alan Hardy

Banned
The Slovakian flag has a shield in the hoist that looks a little too small, I would fix that and change its colours so that the hill is green not blue, and the sky behind the cross is blue not red.

Alan Hardy

Banned
It's seams that The Middle East is the middle of every angst. If only Israel and Palestine were to get back to a two state in one structure then the world may sleep a whole lot more restfully. Flag to suit this merger...

Alan Hardy

Banned
Help Please! Can someone please embolden these flags? Please sharpen and clean them up for me. Thank you so so so much in advance!
View attachment 283621

Not sure about the whys and wherefores but blue and orange are tricky combinations. Very strong together. And then you add black but no white to contrast the detail... so I think your island group needs the white to stand out more. Looks like a 4 island group with differencation showing a capital island. The linework for triangles depart from the lower hoist and direct at 50% and 75% of the distances into the upper fly. The demarcation about relative size of islands is removed and the cressent shapes all open to welcome peace and prosperity.

Alan Hardy

Banned
Just adding Wales is boring. Cornwall is more of a challenge. Plus, I think devolved Cornwall is inevitable so there's a bit of future-proofing. AH.com in-jokes notwithstanding.

Not sure exactly what you meant (which white fimbriation, and total vs. partial) so here are my best guesses about your suggestion:

Flag%20of%20the%20United%20Kingdom%20with%20full%20representation%20%28Thande%27s%20suggestion%29.png

The first image (full yellow) would retain the full blue field, but would "take away" the crucial white of England, and Cornwall is no longer there.
The second and third images (partial yellow) have full representation, but they show why I avoided using St. David's Cross. It's not that well-known (compared to the official Welsh flag) and the yellow is quite jarring, so it will end up looking unbalanced and substantially changes the main cross. It doesn't look like a combination of St. George and other crosses anymore, it blends into something new that is more evocative of Germany or Belgium to the average viewer ("we've been taken over by those bureaucrats in Brussels!!").

The green from the current Welsh flag is more well-known, so while it results in a substantial change to the field, at least that change is recognisable as "Wales" to the average viewer. Plus, dark green is relatively similar to dark blue (ask the Japanese), so that combination will look rather "smooth" and equal, while yellow appears more "powerful" than white, so that combination will look jarring and dissonant.
The thin St. Piran's cross (I deliberately made it very thin) behind St. George's cross doesn't seem to substantially change the St. George's cross to me. The white between the red and black visually separate them, whereas the yellow of St. David's cross visually connect them together. Also I feel that maybe years of seeing black outlines in illustrations and cartoons have trained our brains to ignore thin black lines as simply "framing" rather than content.

Never easy to rework the union flag. With regards to incorporation of yellow and black I would direct all flag manufacturers to have to offer a version of their product edged in gold braid that is stitched with black thread. and yes the above designs are looking as though we have just invaded Belgium.

Not sure about the whys and wherefores but blue and orange are tricky combinations. Very strong together. And then you add black but no white to contrast the detail... so I think your island group needs the white to stand out more. Looks like a 4 island group with differencation showing a capital island. The linework for triangles depart from the lower hoist and direct at 50% and 75% of the distances into the upper fly. The demarcation about relative size of islands is removed and the cressent shapes all open to welcome peace and prosperity.

WOW well done! I like that you put your own spin and interpretation to the flag. Pretty cool. Thank you.

That being said, I must admit that I was hoping for someone to touch up my original flag and embolden it. Kinda like your South African flag, how it looks symmetrical and professional. I was hoping for my design to just be touched up and not redone.

If anyone else wants to take a shot and fixing my flag that would be nice! Thank you.

Untitled.png

I think most people now like the South African flag but I would like to have proposed one many years ago too. Here, you see the flag of the ANC folded over the previously used one to cover the central small details. The left and right one fifths of the respective flags are effectively unchanged. The centre three fifths zags to still equate to a 50% given area.

Sorry, there are people who like the South African flag?

Alan Hardy

Banned
Been interested to revise the Fijian flag. The current flag with the union flag in the hoist is in flux at the moment with something of a competition underway. As I know, that a few on here hate text on flags I've written Fiji on it as large as I can on purpose...

in essence its a choice of one of their finalists, with a cleaned up motif from Fiji airways who use an image of some traditional pottery. Changed the colours too. Brown now 99-70-50, the terracotta 239-228-176 from the standard pallet. Sea Blue being 70-87-197, highlight 162-170-225, lowlight 117-129-210, Golden Beach (standard colour) 225-201-14 highlight 225-227-132, lowlight 255-214-72, Light Blue Sky (from the field of the old flag) 104-191-229, highlight 179-223-242 and lowlight 142-208-236. (Ratio 2:1)

Alan Hardy

Banned
During the last two years lots of people have speculated about what change may happen to the Union flag if Scotland were to become an independent nation. The Cross of St. Andrews goes and the call would be for some obvious representation for Wales. Placing the Red Dragon on its lower green field over one arm of the St. Georges cross could be balanced by adding three lions rampant facing right. Removing the St. Patricks Cross would clear the remaining white field for a more accurate representation of the red hand and crown half over a yellow square field.

Been interested to revise the Fijian flag. The current flag with the union flag in the hoist is in flux at the moment with something of a competition underway. As I know, that a few on here hate text on flags I've written Fiji on it as large as I can on purpose...

in essence its a choice of one of their finalists, with a cleaned up motif from Fiji airways who use an image of some traditional pottery. Changed the colours too. Brown now 99-70-50, the terracotta 239-228-176 from the standard pallet. Sea Blue being 70-87-197, highlight 162-170-225, lowlight 117-129-210, Golden Beach (standard colour) 225-201-14 highlight 225-227-132, lowlight 255-214-72, Light Blue Sky (from the field of the old flag) 104-191-229, highlight 179-223-242 and lowlight 142-208-236. (Ratio 2:1)

apart from the flact that putting the name of the thing represented is usually a sign that no one will get what it stands for, this flag is waaaaay too busy. I think if you concentrate simply on the pottery design, you could have something good.

personally i would get rid of the word figi (even though it looks great) so that it wouldnt be as busy and more
ascetically pleasing, just my opinion

apart from the flact that putting the name of the thing represented is usually a sign that no one will get what it stands for, this flag is waaaaay too busy. I think if you concentrate simply on the pottery design, you could have something good.
a little bit what i said, get rid of the figi but keep the pottery desigin

i made a quick redesign is this good?
upload_2016-8-16_21-37-28.png

i made a quick redesign is this good?

colour count still a bit high at 6. Most flags do well with 3 and if you can take it down to 2, even better. The thing to ask is what is needed and what is not. take the flag of kyrgizstan for example, only 2 colours and a single central emblem and yet it is distinctive and manage to represent traditions, history and values. In this particular case, I could easily see a flag made using only the potery pattern or if wanted, that pattern on single blue field.

colour count still a bit high at 6. Most flags do well with 3 and if you can take it down to 2, even better. The thing to ask is what is needed and what is not. take the flag of kyrgizstan for example, only 2 colours and a single central emblem and yet it is distinctive and manage to represent traditions, history and values. In this particular case, I could easily see a flag made using only the potery pattern or if wanted, that pattern on single blue field.

for example:

fiji-prop.png

Just a thing I made when I was bored... A theocratic Japan flag (lol) with a torii gate in the corner. (it sure does resemble Itsukushima Shrine seeing as there's a wave at the bottom of the flag...)
iJYlKVy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.