Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Flag Request

Hello my fellow Vexilogists, I hope that all has been well with you.
I know that I have been a ghost on the forums lately, but I finally found a project that I want to sink my teeth into again: A Prince-Bishopric covering most of Britain.

The short story is this (according to the County Durham Website):

THE EARL-BISHOP OF NORTHUMBRIA
A `saint-like Norman ecclesiastic', by the name of William Walcher was appointed as the new Bishop of Durham, but the north was still not completely subdued, so the King appointed an Anglo-Saxon called Waltheof, of the old Northumbria house, as the new Earl. A close friendship developed between Walcher and Waltheof and the earl built a castle at Durham for his bishop, but later he was implicated in rebellion and was executed in 1075.
Shortly afterwards Waltheof's powers were conferred upon Walcher, who thus became the first and only `Earl-Bishop' of Northumbria. Walcher's status as an `Earl-Bishop' meant that the defence of northern England was in the hands of one of King William's men, while maintaining a degree of political independence for the Northumbria province. In theory the idea of combining the powers of the Earl and Bishop in one man, seemed to be a good one, but in practice, Walter, though a well intentioned man, was a rather incompetent leader. His inability to control his subordinates angered his people and ultimately led to his murder at Gateshead in 1081.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the ATL, His Excellency Walcher dies peacefully in his sleep aroun 1076, before he can be remembered as an incompetant Earl. His sucessor, backed by Rome and quite abitious, manages to rule Northumbria well from Durham, expanding his military capacity and improving the fortifications of the land. When one of the Norman Kings upsets the Pope, Orleans presses the political advantage and invades, with the support of Durham. In the end (by the time of the middle ages proper) the Bishop of Durham rules most of England, Wales, and Scotland while the Roi and Dauphine own Westminster, London, and the rest of southeast England.

I'd LOVE to see a proper set of flags for the country, from medieval to modern for the Illuminate of Durham (aka the Bishopric of Northumbria). The flag of County Durham should serve as the inspiration for the ATL flags. PLEASE do not feel obligated to make any more than two flags....and I truly appreciate any help. I'm stumped on this one!
Thanks and God Bless!

~Ash

Seraphiel

Banned
Another flag request

Can anyone make flags of the Visigoth Ostrogoth and Hunnic Empires that survive to this day :D

Last edited:
your Northumbrian-Durham-Scotland and wales flag

flag100a.jpg

And now i got to know what all that means can you please tell me

a roman eagle with a crown for heritage-continuity .. the golden wreath for imperialism .. the gold cross is an expansion of the smaller cross of older visgothic banners... . on the standard green background that i have seen banded about historical sites.. the 4 stars i added that for giggles... maybe represent 4 regions of the kingdom.

Northumbria plus Scotland. It looks like the Union Jack, yes, but the two colors of the cross are actually the from the flag of OTL's Kingdom of Northumbria. It was too hard to try to fit elements of Ireland and Wales as well, although Wales seems small enough not to be that important. I think the easiest way to add everything would be replacing the lion with arms. Though I hate arms on flags...

Northumbria.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.