FAQ

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by WolfDragoon, Jan 4, 2017.

1. WolfDragoon Banned

cant find FAQ if it exist could someone please point me to it ?

2. SaveAtlacamani Atlacamani Conservationist

There might be, but I don't think that "FAQ" in the usual sense exist on this site.

But we could of course make this thread into a FAQ. So: Fire with questions!

3. SaveAtlacamani Atlacamani Conservationist

There is this FAQ - but it is more about how you can change the site or your profile than an actual forum-related FAQ

4. WolfDragoon Banned

Okay so what is the board culture ?
    i mean rules specifics to this forum rather than generic dont be dick stuff

5. SaveAtlacamani Atlacamani Conservationist

For Chat:
    1. Be left-wing. As left as Bernie Sanders would be optimal, or even a bit to the left, like German DIE LINKE. Also: Be against Donald Trump as you would be against Kim Jong-Un or Francisco Macias Nguema, Alfredo Stroessner or Isaias Afawerki!

2. In all and every case, be pro-Palestinian. A pro-Israeli stance on the settlements on the West Bank or many of the other discriminatory policies is extremely frowned upon. Being pro-Kurdish also helps, but is not a necessity.

3. If you are nevertheless right-wing (e.g. conversative), join the "Cordial Conservatives".

4. Do not support any conspiracy theories (e.g. don't say, without good proof against the Warren Commission, that it was not Lee Harvey Oswald who assassinated Kennedy and/or that people aided and abetted the murder).

For non-Chat forums:

Don't panic. If you don't, in real life, advocate genocide or mass murder, you are free to support any faction you like in a Timeline (TL). There are numerous Axis Victory or ultra-Stalinwank timelines out there, they are not banned. The same applies to Da'esh-wanks or wanks of other villains.

Some important terms you should know:

OTL = Our Timeline = history
    TTL = This Timeline = the timeline concerned (usually the one in the thread)
    ATL = Alternate Timeline = an alternate version of history.
    AHC: Alternate History Challenge - they can range from "Kill Hitler in year X" to "Have Alexis de Tocqueville's US-Russia Cold War Prophecy Come True Without Nazism or Communism".
    DBWI: Double Blind What If = a thread where the poster pretends to be from an ATL and asks himself what would have happened if an OTL event had occurred.

Map Game: a game where players either fill (Countries of an Alternate World) or edit (year games) the same map and so, a timeline or a world develops.

6. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy

Uh...these are not true, like, at all. You don't NEED to be Left Wing or Pro-Palestinian (hell, I'm struggling to think of any pro-Palestinian members) to participate in Political Chat. :/ That forum trends left wing, so just keep that in mind when you're participating in there, but it's not like you're going to get in trouble for supporting conservative positions. Same for supporting Trump, there are Trump supporters here (though not many, honestly).

7. WolfDragoon Banned

So stay of chat then got you

Kome likes this.
  8. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy

You will find many of the answers you seek on the Wiki! :)

AH.com Wiki - Off Topic

There's also a page dedicated specifically to Board culture. The site has been around for over 16 years, so there's a lot to digest. :coldsweat:

AH.com Culture

9. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy

A lot of people find it easier that way, and Political Chat is just one forum on the site - there's LOTS to do and see here aside from there. Really, though, if you already follow the "Don't be a Dick to Others" rule and take a few moments to consider how others may take what you're going to say before you say it, you should be fine. :)

Puget Sound likes this.
  10. WolfDragoon Banned

I know, its just the way forum leans means that certain opinions receive benefit of doubt while others dont.

BTW What the hell does this forum have against Coventry ? it better not be something along the lines of spacebattles toucan

11. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy

Never been to Spacebattles, so I don't know about any toucan. :coldsweat:

You know, I thought it was a reference to Kurt Vonnegut or something, but apparently it's an old British idiom that we've just sorta co-opted. There's even a Wikipedia page for it: Send to Coventry. :coldsweat:

Puget Sound likes this.
  12. shai 24601

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT?!?!?!?!?

13. Archangel Michael Has a gif for that

[​IMG]

14. Puget Sound Stewart Brand Is Right!

No. As long as you are civil and not bigoted, you are fine. Follow these rules instead:

http://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/forum-rules-and-guidelines.173163/

No. Ian equally hits misbehaving users both on the left, right, and everything else.

Again, Ian tries (and succeeds 99% of the time) to be very fair. Just be civil, not bigoted, and follow the rules I've linked to above, and you'll be fine.

Petike likes this.
  15. Puget Sound Stewart Brand Is Right!

LOL. Just take a look at the Politiyank and Politibrit threads- plenty of conservatives and people who voted for Trump in there. :rolleyes: There is no favored ideology by the mods except being civil and not being a bigoted. Ian has kicked and banned as many SJWs as he has right-wingers.

16. WolfDragoon Banned

I didnt say all right wing people will be banned. i just say there might be slight bias depending on where forum leans.

17. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk ZemplĂ­n Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
  18. Puget Sound Stewart Brand Is Right!

The point above is that there isn't a bias. Right wing people are fine here as long as they are not bigots and trolls.

19. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator

Says the member with TEN actions.

Don't troll the newbie. You don't have the actions to spare.

20. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator

Actually the line is a straight lift from a Heinlein short story. I've given him credit for it several times.