Every Man A King

Republican Presidential Ballot, June 6 1936

Gov. Alf Landon (KS) - 984 [MAJORITY]
Sen. William Borah (ID) - 19

"Governor Landon is our nominee for President of the United States! Let it be known that Governor Alf Landon shall be elected President of the United States!"

- Republican Chair, House Minority Leader Bertrand Snell

It's official: Twenty minutes ago, the GOP nominated Alf Landon. Christ, neither Roosevelt or I could have chosen a better opponent. Landon is, in all but name, a Republican New Dealer, which is the only reason that he was re-elected to the governorship in '34. Landon's just announced that Frank Knox is going to be his running mate - another joke. The man's never held office, regardless of how long he's been a journalist! In a normal election, we would be curbstomping him. However, I have my plans for this election, and regardless of who my party nominates, I know that Roosevelt won't win re-election. I held a meeting with William Borah yesterday, and we both arrived at an agreement regarding November. If FDR only knew what Borah is prepared to do, he would not want the nomination anymore; I think he would rather endorse me than be defeated by somebody like Landon in November just because of a 70-year-old senator from Idaho. In the end, I'm convinced it will all work out.

- The Huey Long Diaries, June 6 1936

The Democratic National Convention, July 23 1936

The convention hall rang with noise from the delegates before the Chair of the Democratic National Convention and the incumbent Speaker of the House, William Bankhead of Alabama, banged his gavel.

"Ordah in the hall," he said, continuing to bang the hammer of silence. "I herebah open the 1936 Democratic National Convention, in which we shall nominate a presidential candidate. Our great President Franklin Delano Roosevelt has been nominated for consideration, as well as our great Senator of Louisiana, Huey Pierce Long. The balloting shall now commence, beginning with the delegation of mah home state of Alabama. Mr. Chairman?"

"Mr. Speaker, great gentleman of Alabama, Alabama unanimously casts all its votes for the next President of the United States of America, Huey Pierce Long of Louisiana."

"Arizona shall now casts its delegates. Mr. Chairman?"

And so on and so forth. Senator Long, the elected Chairman of the Louisiana Delegation, sat in front of the Louisiana delegation and anxiously watched as the delegations casted their votes.

"California casts 48 votes to President Roosevelt and 12 to Senator Long..."

Christ, Long thought to himself. Only 12 delegates from California. I think this just sealed the deal for Roosevelt. But I'll be back in 1940, I know it.

The delegates went back and forth. Minnesota, because of Governor Olson's backing, threw all its delegates to Long, the first Northern state to do so yet. Of course, as expected, nearly every Southern state threw its delegates behind Long, for two different reasons. 1) They supported him for his Southern heritage, or 2) He had "convinced" them to do so. The only reason he had to do the latter was because of the devout conservatism of some Southern Democrats, having their ideology overtake their sense of Southern pride.

Many of the western states, such as Idaho, Colorado, and Nebraska, cast a majority of their votes for Long. The Senator of Louisiana won the final laugh as the Wyoming delegation cast all but one of its four votes for Huey Long.

"The balloting has ceased," Speaker Bankhead declared, "And the results are as follows: Roosevelt, 726; Long, 367. With a majority of the delegates, Ah declare that the Democratic Party has renominated President Roosevelt for a second term as President of the United States."

genusmap.php

President Roosevelt - 726
Senator Long - 367

Senator Long immediately got up and walked among the cheering delegates to the chairman of the Georgia delegation. Despite the intense noise of the auditorium, Senator Long successfully whispered to the Georgian: "It's time."

The man smiled. This had been pre-arranged.

"C'mon, let's get out of here!" He said, rounding the delegates from Georgia and - almost literally - pushing them towards the door. Soon, they began to walk on their own, and the convention hall stared in amazement as the walk-out proceeded.

As had also been pre-arranged, the Alabama delegation left. That was where the arrangements had stopped, and Long's hopes had begun. He prayed for a miracle, which God granted in letting the Arkansas, Mississippi, South Carolina, and even a few members of the Western delegations walk single-file out of the convention.

It's a goddamn miracle, Long thought to himself as he led the Louisiana delegation - the last - out of the convention. I got so far in the primaries, and I got quite about 200 of my delegates to leave. It's for sure now: Share Our Wealth is going to become a political party this year. How well we do and if it will get me to the White House in 1940 has yet to be seen.[1]

Meanwhile, President Roosevelt, who was watching from a balcony in the convention hall, buried his head in his hands. How dare he do this. Dammit, I could understand if he wasn't going to endorse me, but doing this? It's unprofessional and it's gonna cost me the goddamn election if he does what I think he's going to do!

TIME Magazine was clearly right. 1936 was going to be an interesting election to watch.

~ ~ ~

Author's Notes

[1] Yeah, I know what you're thinking: Long's OTL plan to win the presidency wouldn't have panned out exactly as planned. And it's true: Everything that's happened to this point in the TL has been a miracle for Huey Long. But please don't think this is a Long-wank just yet: The Share Our Wealth Party is going to have a little problem on its hands later in the year, and Long is going to have do some improvising.

Last edited:
The map has Idaho and Colorado in President Roosevelt's column despite the text saying that they went for Long.

Just a couple of headlines that speak for themselves...

August 1 1936
SEN. WILLIAM BORAH FORMS "SHARE OUR WEALTH" PARTY, CHOOSES MN GOV. OLSON FOR V.P.

IH185200.jpg

Sen. William Borah (R-ID), Share Our Wealth Nominee for President 1936

U138905ACME.jpg

Gov. Floyd B. Olson (FL-MN), Share Our Wealth nominee for Vice President 1936

August 9 1936

V.P. NOMINEE OLSON GOES INTO HOSPITAL; RUMORS OF CANCER SPREAD

August 22 1936
OLSON DEAD OF CANCER, AGE 45

~ ~ ~

Author's Note: Floyd Olson died on 8/22/36 IOTL, although he went into the hospital months before he died IOTL. ITTL, he stayed healthier just until he was nominated for V.P.

This will be interesting. However, why has Long here decided to call his new party the "Share our Wealth Party" instead of something more flowing, like Union Party, Populist/People's Party or Progressive Party?

Technocrat

Banned
Long is at the nexus of Christian Nationalists and Progressives, not to mention the succession to to the Populist Wing of the Democratic Party, choosing a particular brand identity beyond Spread Our Wealth could be tricky.

It's tragic what just happened to Floyd. He was a good friend of mine, and if a miracle had happened, he would have been an excellent Vice President. But now, Bill Borah needs to find a new running mate. He's already asked me, and I told him that I'll make a decision by tomorrow. I'm still debating it. My accepting could hinder my chances at winning the presidency in 1940, while my not accepting could hinder SOW's chances outside Louisiana. My plan can only work if we siphon enough votes off FDR that will result in President Landon. But on the other hand, I could use SOW as a threat to the Democratic Party in 1940, which could, if anything, increase my chances at winning. Whichever I choose, I'm praying to God that it works.

- The Huey Long Diaries, Aug. 23 1936

"I would like to make an important announcement: Due to the tragic death of Governor Olson, the Share Our Wealth Party needs a new vice presidential nominee. So, I am selecting a fine gentleman who has shown great dedication to his home state and the United States, and a co-founder of this great cause. My friends, my running mate is Senator Huey Pierce Long of Louisiana."

- Sen. William Borah, Sept. 1 1936

BE041254.jpg

"My fellow Americans, there are undoubted and total truths to this nation's progress which must be learned. We must abolish the Federal Reserve; we must ensure that American families are receiving government money to help them grow and flourish; we must institute pensions for the older folks of the nation; my friends, we must share the wealth! We can do all this and achieve a dream America by voting for William Borah and myself in November!"

- Sen. Long in Pennsylvania, Sept. 4 1936

"Although it was William Borah who led the Share Our Wealth ticket, but the elephant in the room of the 1936 general election was that Huey Long ran the ticket. When looking at the Share Our Wealth campaign as a whole, one sees that Senator Long made more than three times the amount of public appearances that William Borah made (although, admittedly, the head of the ticket was 71-years-old, very worn down, and had only four more years to live). Also, when looking at the transcripts of the speeches made by Borah and Long, one sees that Borah is almost echoing statements made by Huey Long, who, in every speech, is on the attack against President Roosevelt and Governor Landon. It is clearly evident, especially after reading his memoirs, that the Share Our Wealth Party was clearly his own invention."

- The First Roar of the Lion: The Presidential Election of 1936 by Prof. Alan Keyes, copyright 1999

"We must re-elect President Roosevelt in November, because our other choices are radical authoritarian Senators Huey Long and William Borah - in that order - and Governor Alf Landon and Mr. Frank Knox, carbon copies of your average New Dealer running hypocritically against the founder of their ideology!"

- Gubernatorial candidate Joseph Kennedy in Stockbridge, MA, Oct. 12 1936

huey_long4.jpg

I'm not sure if we can pull this off - Long is doing just as good at his campaign rallies as he was during the primaries. The Literary Digest just held a poll predicting a landslide for Landon. I suppose it all depends on turnout now. If I lose, which looks likely, then I'll be after Long like a bloodhound on steak. I know what he's after, and he's not getting it.

- The FDR Diaries, Oct. 29 1936

November 3, 1936
--------------------------------------
LANDON WINS IN NARROW ELECTION

genusmap.php

(R) Gov. Alf Landon (R-KS) / Frank Knox (R-IL) - 270 EVs
(D) Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-NY) / Vice President Jack Garner (D-TX) - 141 EVs
(Share Our Wealth) Sen. William Borah (R-ID) / Sen. Huey Long (D-LA) - 120 EVs

Incumbent President: Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-NY)
President-Elect: Alf Landon (R-KS)

Incumbent Vice President: John Nance Garner (D-TX)
Vice President-Elect: Frank Knox (R-IL)

Onward to the Landon Presidency and my election in 1940!

- The Huey Long Diaries, Nov. 4 1936

Last edited:
Massachusetts Gubernatorial Election, 1936

Joseph P. Kennedy (D) - 50.8% PV
Leverett Saltonstall (R) - 49.2% PV

Incumbent Governor: James Curley (D)
Governor-Elect: Joseph Kennedy (D)

U589697ACME.jpg

Joseph Patrick Kennedy Sr., the 54th Governor of Massachusetts

I personally always wanted to see a Huey Long lives and FDR still wins in '36 :D Actually, he would still win NY since it's his home state... flip Missouri, Delaware, Minnesota, Wisconsin and some of the West to Landon.
This is interesting though :cool: in the Chinese sense...

Last edited:
Long is at the nexus of Christian Nationalists and Progressives, not to mention the succession to to the Populist Wing of the Democratic Party, choosing a particular brand identity beyond Spread Our Wealth could be tricky.

The nice thing about political party names is that they can say something while also revealing very little at the same time;)

President Landon...Good Lord, How is this going to turn out...Atleast Nancy Kassebaum's chances at becoming President have shot up somewhat:D

Aaaaah! I always wanted to see a not-ASB scenario seeing Landon in the White House. I think he would do well, he would've been a decent President in fact.

This is pretty interesting, I was just thinking about looking about for Long-related TLs when this popped up.

I do have a few quibbles - in one of the first entries, you have Long criticizing Hoover rather vehemently. OTL, I believe he had written that he planned to include Hoover in his cabinet should he reach the presidency. Of course, if he saw an advantage in criticizing Hoover at any given moment, I don't doubt he would've taken the opportunity.

Also, a more substantiative point - I don't think Long would accept a VP position on a ticket he knew would lose. A) I don't think he could stand to be 2nd to anyone, and B) he probably wouldn't want to be tarred as a loser in 1936. Not that a VP on a ticket that lost in 36 couldn't run and win in 40, but I don't think Long was the type of man to do that.

I could see him applauding a third party candidate and throwing the election to the republicans, but it seems more likely that he would either stay with the democrats or, if he decided to form his own party, not being present on the ticket when he knew he would lose the election.

Aaaaah! I always wanted to see a not-ASB scenario seeing Landon in the White House. I think he would do well, he would've been a decent President in fact.

Glad I could get one going for you.;)

This is pretty interesting, I was just thinking about looking about for Long-related TLs when this popped up.

I do have a few quibbles - in one of the first entries, you have Long criticizing Hoover rather vehemently. OTL, I believe he had written that he planned to include Hoover in his cabinet should he reach the presidency. Of course, if he saw an advantage in criticizing Hoover at any given moment, I don't doubt he would've taken the opportunity.

Also, a more substantiative point - I don't think Long would accept a VP position on a ticket he knew would lose. A) I don't think he could stand to be 2nd to anyone, and B) he probably wouldn't want to be tarred as a loser in 1936. Not that a VP on a ticket that lost in 36 couldn't run and win in 40, but I don't think Long was the type of man to do that.

I could see him applauding a third party candidate and throwing the election to the republicans, but it seems more likely that he would either stay with the democrats or, if he decided to form his own party, not being present on the ticket when he knew he would lose the election.

1) You're right about Hoover: He wanted him as Secretary of Commerce. This is understandable; before he was POTUS, Hoover was SoC for eight years under Harding and Coolidge, and did excellently. However, you're also right that he would have taken the opportunity to attack Hoover's record as President.

2) You're absolutely right that Long would not have gladly taken No. 2. I planned on making it clear, but I think I might have failed at explaining that Long is under intense pressure ITTL to take No. 2 after Olson dies just a little more than two weeks after the ticket gets nominated. Finally, realizing the SOWP might not do well enough to throw the election to the GOP if he were not on the ticket, he decides to join. I'll edit one of my posts to make that more clear, I apologize.:eek: