Engineering A Planet

VT45

Banned
Hey, does anyone think they could make an animation like the one below for the Earth? That is to say, to show where the sun would be blocked by rings if the Earth had them.

ilokaartanim.gif

Here's a world named Eif Iian in the summer time, it is about 10,000 or 100,000 miles across in size. There are no solid land masses for the polar regions it's all frozen sea. In fact it's a pretty warm planet with a short period of winter in the areas close to the poles.
Most land masses and regions are based off of childhood drawings of islands like the biggest Islands in the western hemisphere...

completew.png

Hey, does anyone think they could make an animation like the one below for the Earth? That is to say, to show where the sun would be blocked by rings if the Earth had them.

Hi VulcanTrekkie45,

I only saw that just now. If you would have mentioned where you got it from someone might have directed you to me. You could also have left a message on my site...

Anyway, I guess you did not know that I was the creator of that animation, which means that, yes, I could make one like that again. Easily in fact.

VT45

Banned
Hi VulcanTrekkie45,

I only saw that just now. If you would have mentioned where you got it from someone might have directed you to me. You could also have left a message on my site...

Anyway, I guess you did not know that I was the creator of that animation, which means that, yes, I could make one like that again. Easily in fact.

Awesome. It seems that the axial tilt of this planet is a bit different from Earth's so I couldn't transfer it directly to Earth, as I'm not sure how it'd work.

Awesome. It seems that the axial tilt of this planet is a bit different from Earth's so I couldn't transfer it directly to Earth, as I'm not sure how it'd work.

True. I can restore the tilt to 23.5 degrees. As for the rings, can you give me the inner and our rims? You can use kilometers or, preferably, you can express them in terms of the radius of Earth (for example: inner rim 1.5 radius, outer rim 2.0 diameter)

VT45

Banned
Map Request

Hey guys,
I was hoping, since I've seen the like here in this thread before, that someone here could help me out with this. I need to convert the attached file from a climate map to a satellite map, and to a Mercator projection. I want to put it in Celestia. Anyone think that they can help me with this?

I'll post a key in the morning. Right now I'm too tired. But if you must know tonight, it's the same as the Koppen climate key on Wikipedia.

CNE.png

VT45

Banned
Hey guys,
I was hoping, since I've seen the like here in this thread before, that someone here could help me out with this. I need to convert the attached file from a climate map to a satellite map, and to a Mercator projection. I want to put it in Celestia. Anyone think that they can help me with this?

I'll post a key in the morning. Right now I'm too tired. But if you must know tonight, it's the same as the Koppen climate key on Wikipedia.

Here's the key:
Darkest gray: polar ice cap
Medium gray: montane/plateau
Light gray: tundra
Blue-gray: subarctic/taiga
Blue: humid continental, warm summer
Light blue: humid continental, hot summer
Green: oceanic climate
Yellow-green: cool Mediterranean
Yellow: warm Mediterranean
Pinkish: cool desert
Orange: cool semi-arid
Black: tidal mudflats
Oceanic blue: self-eplanatory

Hey guys,

If you wish to transfer a planetary map to Celestia, using a Mercator projection is a bad idea, as Celestia uses the much easier 'plate carrée' projection. A long time ago I posted some hints on how to use Celestia in this very same thread, but the images are long gone. I recently wrote a beginner's tutorial on how to produce maps for Celestia. You can find it here:
http://planetfuraha.blogspot.com/2011/08/creating-your-own-planet-using-celestia.html

The problem of how to distort an image to a rectilinear map is not an easy one. Photoshop can distort images using grids. Perhaps you could try that; if you manage to distort the image to obtain a rectangle, the distortion should be correct.

VT45

Banned
If you wish to transfer a planetary map to Celestia, using a Mercator projection is a bad idea, as Celestia uses the much easier 'plate carrée' projection. A long time ago I posted some hints on how to use Celestia in this very same thread, but the images are long gone. I recently wrote a beginner's tutorial on how to produce maps for Celestia. You can find it here:
http://planetfuraha.blogspot.com/2011/08/creating-your-own-planet-using-celestia.html

The problem of how to distort an image to a rectilinear map is not an easy one. Photoshop can distort images using grids. Perhaps you could try that; if you manage to distort the image to obtain a rectangle, the distortion should be correct.

Thanks for that. Though I don't have Photoshop. D'you think I could impose on you?

Thanks for that. Though I don't have Photoshop. D'you think I could impose on you?

I guess I could try.

But for a planetary surface you need a map that extends all the way to the poles. Yours has more than one continent that is cut off by the top or bottom margins of the map, meaning the map does not show all of your world. After turning it in a rectangular shape you would have to add the missing parts and do lots of repainting it anyway.