Engineering A Planet

Hnau

Banned
And this for the topography/rivers. Some of the rivers need to be corrected, but... you get the gist.

TrumpeterBTopo.PNG

Keenir

Banned
Hrmph, well, I found this fractal terrains demo which has a climate mapper but I feel its inaccurate. Anyway, what do you think about this map below?

I'd guess that either the current goes poles-to-equator, keeping the western coast from getting too hot anywhere (but icy in the southern and northern reaches); or it goes equator-to-poles, keeping the north and south fairly warm, but turning the equatorial west coast into a seaside desert.

just a guess.

Azardin, post a map of that with normal coloring and I think I can globe that for you.

Do you mean without the red and green, or with something more akin to the UCS?

Hnau said:
Hrmph, well, I found this fractal terrains demo which has a climate mapper but I feel its inaccurate. Anyway, what do you think about this map below?

Hnau said:
And this for the topography/rivers. Some of the rivers need to be corrected, but... you get the gist

Looks like a kick ass map, and I'll give it a more thorough look when I get back from my internship today. I'd do it now, but I should be walking out the door. :eek:

Like, with vegetation and stuff.

Ah, okay, that'll be done hopefully in a few days. I've been roughly mapping out where large forests would develop (without human interference) and aridity, and I'm working my way towards "stuff" in "vegetation and stuff" ;):D. Hopefully I'll get some work done on the ocean currents and post them, so as to further flesh out the world.

And if you are able to globe it, I'd be incredibly appreciative.

VT45

Banned
What about this planet?

Note about terrain: lowlands around the lakes, but inland quickly becomes highlands.

Also, it is a moon, rather than a planet in its own right, and is tidally locked to its parent planet. It takes approximately 28 days to orbit its planet (3 guesses whose moon it is;))

Moon.png

Okay, to respond to this for the fourth time (I've had issues with the internet.).

For your version of the terraformed moon VT, I'd expect a slightly boring layout for the air currents and watered areas. Since the moon is either land or water (looks in the vicinity of 50/50 land/water) and in pretty much a even distribution. But there might be a few interesting variations in wind along the equator, and it certainly would be fairly liveable along the central body of water, and along the lakes.

The main desert I see would be in the western half of the map, particularly in the larger area of the land mass. Since it is all highland (or increasingly so at least) the central reaches of all of the land masses will be fairly dry (central east areas*)

I'm not sure of the effects of gravity on the system, as I've not read into it. I believe though, that the weaker the gravity the weaker the winds??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to give out false information.

And with the tidal lock...shit, that desert is probably on the dark side, right? That sucks. Worse than Antarctica then, but at least the sky will be pretty. Hmmm....bright stars and freeze your ass off temps....or twinkling stars and balmy breezes....

You'll find me on Earth still :D

==============================

*Lord Insane owes me for unintentional advertising ;):D

VT45

Banned
Okay, to respond to this for the fourth time (I've had issues with the internet.).

For your version of the terraformed moon VT, I'd expect a slightly boring layout for the air currents and watered areas. Since the moon is either land or water (looks in the vicinity of 50/50 land/water) and in pretty much a even distribution. But there might be a few interesting variations in wind along the equator, and it certainly would be fairly liveable along the central body of water, and along the lakes.

The main desert I see would be in the western half of the map, particularly in the larger area of the land mass. Since it is all highland (or increasingly so at least) the central reaches of all of the land masses will be fairly dry (central east areas*)

I'm not sure of the effects of gravity on the system, as I've not read into it. I believe though, that the weaker the gravity the weaker the winds??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to give out false information.

And with the tidal lock...shit, that desert is probably on the dark side, right? That sucks. Worse than Antarctica then, but at least the sky will be pretty. Hmmm....bright stars and freeze your ass off temps....or twinkling stars and balmy breezes....

You'll find me on Earth still :D

==============================

*Lord Insane owes me for unintentional advertising ;):D

Well, being tidally locked to the Earth, rather than to the sun will produce some interesting conditions in the desert. Not necessarily Antarctic, as just think how hot i'd get in the day. I was more interested in what would happen on the light side with the landmasses near the large central ocean.

I suppose I should start naming these things...

Azardin - what do you think of this planet I made? I probably put the desert in the middle of the Jungle, but how good is this?

eden.png

Azardin - what do you think of this planet I made? I probably put the desert in the middle of the Jungle, but how good is this?

I can give only a preliminary analysis on it, as I'm at work right now and without my CS3 and laptop. However I noticed a few things immediately.

My thought is that with the strip of water going along the north pole, you're going to have a system similar to Antarctica, but in the Arctic. That northern continent is gonna be cold. Hella cold. Freeze your nipples off cold. Good for the polar bears I guess, they're not going extinct due to global warming for a good bit. Poor penguins...much more sensitive environment for them. Alas.

If you can tell me where the mountain ranges are, I can give you a pretty good estimate when I get home. As it is now, all I can work with is the assumption that the land is largely flat. Which i realize its not, but unlike VT's terraformed Luna, I dunno where the highlands are.

Azardin, could you have a look at this thread about a Pangea with an Inland Sea?

I think its gonna depend on which of the maps you pick (or if you go with another one). They are both rather different (one being the future the other being the past), but I do notice that they've some basic climatological information in the colors used for the land. Dark greens look like well, greenery, and the deserts are clear enough.

You could theoretically add additional arid/wet zones depending on what the overall warmth of the planet is at that time, but in general I don't think I can really give you much more than that without a given picture to work off of.

I think its gonna depend on which of the maps you pick (or if you go with another one). They are both rather different (one being the future the other being the past), but I do notice that they've some basic climatological information in the colors used for the land. Dark greens look like well, greenery, and the deserts are clear enough.

You could theoretically add additional arid/wet zones depending on what the overall warmth of the planet is at that time, but in general I don't think I can really give you much more than that without a given picture to work off of.

Alright. What do you think about the first post (in that thread)?

Let's say we have a large super-continent(Pangea) that has an inland sea the size of South America. The sea to land ration is still 70:30 tho. The land is divided into 6 river valleys. Tho the valleys are divided from each other by Alps size mountains, and they all merge into the hill ranges and lowlands surrounding the inland sea. The equator runs thru the center of the land and inland sea i.e half is "north" of the Equator and half is "south" of the Equator. Let's say each river valley develops a civilization, technologically, equivalent to Egypt,Mesoptamia,India,China,Olmec,Chavin/Moche.

Anyway, I'd think that 2 of the great river valleys would be half jungle or more. Some of the great river valleys would have deserts though I suspect only as dry as the Kalahari. I'd suspect most if not all the rivers' delta plains would be mostly swamp/salt flat, but these could be drained. There would be Indian Ocean-like weather over the inland sea.

If any of the valleys would be jungle, it would the the equatorial valleys. And if I'm reading this all right, my mental picture has a star shap for the valleys' general outline, and if there are mountains around the exterior of the continent, one of the equatorial valleys would be jungle, the other would be drier (due to rain shadows). Without exterior mountains, water would be free to get from the Oceanus Supremus (terrible Latin, I know:rolleyes:) towards the interior. Again, I'd need a map for specifics. (Can't test hypotheses without an experiment)

Civilization would begin at the same time as our world's did for comparison. The civilizations would expand upriver though slower than our Ancient Egypt. The civs would need to protect themselves against each other, so military tech and sea travel tech would both advance faster than our world. Technology as a whole will advance faster than OTL since innovations from one civ will reach the others much faster than our world. Being conservative, let's say long bows and chain mail by our 1000 BCE. Plus the faster military tech advances will lead to non-military tech advances as in our world.

Interesting, though the exact spread and development of technologies is going to depend on location. Remember, necessity is the mother of invention, and the equatorial peeps ain't gonna be inventing the space heater (most likely, at least). When developing this, pay attention to the landscape (both physical and political), else you could risk entering into relatively arbitrary gray areas.

Once we reach the point where each great river valley is mostly (70-90 percent) unified, we'd see alliances between empires to conquer others by sea and land. No one empire would be able to conquer and hold on to more than 2 other great river valleys. These expansions would be shortlived I believe. Should there be a world war (yes it is possible) then it's possible to have Pangea temporarily divided between 2 empires(about 1.5 Mongol Empires). These super-empires would be very short-lived however.

In time, the delta cities and the others of the inland sea plain would develop into Venice/Amsterdam-like cities. They would grow closer to each other than their respective empires. Their merchant classes would grow in power. Eventually, they would form a Hanseatic League-like alliance and free themselves from their respective empires.

Again, this is possible, but exact directions and trends would vary based on stimuli.

Hopefully I helped some, but its hard for me to really explore these things without a relatively concrete framework (I can...but I don't like doing so, ends up being jarbled somewhere in my head, which isn't useful IMO)

And here is something of my world, an experiment in colors. I started with one continent and wanted to test out some colors for the floodplains, plains, grasslands, etc. etc. What do you think?

NorthAeriasPreview.jpg

Hnau

Banned
Looks great. By the way, Azardin, you spelled 'Engineering' in your signature as 'Engeering'.

Looks great. By the way, Azardin, you spelled 'Engineering' in your signature as 'Engeering'.

Goddammit. Thanks, fixed.

Does the landscape look to splotchy at all? I'm thinking about working with the base layer's colors to see if it looks better.