Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

A very reasonable question. I was afraid someone was going to ask that.

Well the tradition with monarchs back in the UK, and also continued to Canada OTL, was simply to have an image of the monarch sitting in state or some otherwise regal position (the current seal has QE2 on horseback I believe) so I'd say there's every reason to just fall back on tradition here.

As for the supporters (what you called "holders") of the coat of arms, puma and alligator seems fair but if you really want to test the skill of the person who's going to be making this stuff for you then there's plenty of room for added detail in the CoA. CoA could be full of allegory and symbolism. For instance, might I suggest that the Puma be the sinister supporter (supporter on the left) and the Alligator be the dexter, to represent the west-east span of the country reaching from sea to shining sea? You might also want to have the Puma hold a broken chain, to represent the end of slavery and the defeat of the Slaver Uprising. If you really wanted to go overboard then you could have the puma be looking up and raising a shield while the alligator looks downwards (it's probably more natural for the alligator to be lying down with its tail supporting anyway, rather than standing on two legs looking like a man in fancy dress), to represent the state guarding the people from the aggression of their northern neighbour, while keeping a beady eye on their less stable southern neighbours, but that might be going overboard.

Glen

I'm surprised by the flag of the DSA given the multiple potential relevances of something like the flag of Alabama in our timeline to the South in our timeline as well as arguably in this one.

It's only a proposed flag, not the final flag. What did you mean by flag of Alabama in this instance BTW?

Glen

Well the tradition with monarchs back in the UK, and also continued to Canada OTL, was simply to have an image of the monarch sitting in state or some otherwise regal position (the current seal has QE2 on horseback I believe) so I'd say there's every reason to just fall back on tradition here.

That's true of the seal and probably the case here as well. The coat of arms is a different matter, of course...

As for the supporters (what you called "holders") of the coat of arms, puma and alligator seems fair but if you really want to test the skill of the person who's going to be making this stuff for you then there's plenty of room for added detail in the CoA. CoA could be full of allegory and symbolism. For instance, might I suggest that the Puma be the sinister supporter (supporter on the left) and the Alligator be the dexter, to represent the west-east span of the country reaching from sea to shining sea?

Love this - consider it canon.

You might also want to have the Puma hold a broken chain, to represent the end of slavery and the defeat of the Slaver Uprising.

Or a broken chain worn around its neck like the Canadian Unicorn - have to think on that one, but a broken chain in some form should be included for sure.

If you really wanted to go overboard then you could have the puma be looking up and raising a shield while the alligator looks downwards (it's probably more natural for the alligator to be lying down with its tail supporting anyway, rather than standing on two legs looking like a man in fancy dress), to represent the state guarding the people from the aggression of their northern neighbour, while keeping a beady eye on their less stable southern neighbours, but that might be going overboard.

Overboard, wouldn't include this stuff.

Glen

I wish to note that today the Dominion of Southern America main thread has reached over 1,000,000 views. This is quite an achievement, and one that is due to the patronage and loyalty of you, my reading audience. Thank you for making the DSA a living, breathing entity in your hearts and minds.

Remember!

DEFEND THE DOMINION!

It's only a proposed flag, not the final flag. What did you mean by flag of Alabama in this instance BTW?

I mean this:
500px-Flag_of_Alabama.svg.png

To me, it sort of represents the dominion on multiple levels.

I mean this:
500px-Flag_of_Alabama.svg.png

To me, it sort of represents the dominion on multiple levels.

Really? Because this is sort of related to the English flag?

Well this one is a much simpler Dominion flag, but if you Glen enjoy making an entirely different and more complex kind of a flag... enjoy. Hahaha.

Glen

Really? Because this is sort of related to the English flag?

Oddly enough, it probably is not related to the English Flag.

Well this one is a much simpler Dominion flag, but if you Glen enjoy making an entirely different and more complex kind of a flag... enjoy. Hahaha.

Not the Dominion flag.

I wish to note that today the Dominion of Southern America main thread has reached over 1,000,000 views. This is quite an achievement, and one that is due to the patronage and loyalty of you, my reading audience. Thank you for making the DSA a living, breathing entity in your hearts and minds.

Remember!

DEFEND THE DOMINION!

Huzzah :D Break out the Kentucky Bourbon or Virginia Wine :D

But it's a simplified Cross of Burgundy used by the Spanish...

what about a the Dominions arms superimposed other the burgundy cross, but done in the British colours?....represents national and historical links then

also, does the Dominion have arms? (cant remember if ya did any)

If the cross (well, actually saltire) of Burgundy is going to be used I'd strongly recommend that it be the version with barbs on the arms, i.e.

p6979_Cross%20of%20Burgundy.gif

...for no other reason than because there's a very real chance of people (by which I mean people living in TTL as well as us) getting confused with the cross of St. Patrick (i.e. the flag currently in use as the flag of Ireland) which looks like this:

ie-stpat.gif

Obvious OTL that comparison didn't really matter to the Alabamans, because they no longer had any links with Ireland. The Dominion, still being under the British aegis, does.

Last edited:
Thank you - fit in the Loyalist Coronet with a palm frond theme intead of maple leaf, and maybe go something like the coat of arms that Canada eventually sported (with the shield having the three English lions, the Scottish rampant lion, the Irish harp, the Welsh St. David's Cross (or Tudor dragon) and the Bourbon Cross (representing all the lands that formerly were Spanish, ala the fleur de lis on the Canadian one)).

I'm thinking the holders on the coat of arms for the DSA might be a Puma and Alligator.

Anyone good at making Coat of Arms?

I'm gona give it a try. Gona base it off Canada's and edit from there (with notes above) see what you think.

Glen

If the cross (well, actually saltire) of Burgundy is going to be used I'd strongly recommend that it be the version with barbs on the arms, i.e.

p6979_Cross%20of%20Burgundy.gif

...for no other reason than because there's a very real chance of people (by which I mean people living in TTL as well as us) getting confused with the cross of St. Patrick (i.e. the flag currently in use as the flag of Ireland) which looks like this:

ie-stpat.gif

Obvious OTL that comparison didn't really matter to the Alabamans, because they no longer had any links with Ireland. The Dominion, still being under the British aegis, does.

Yes, but it's also St. Patrick's cross, a sideways St. George's cross, shares stylistic elements with the cross of St. Andrew...

These are fair points - while the Cross of Burgundy (and my preference is for the more complicated one) will play a part in the history of the DSA symbolically, it will not be the major part of the Dominion's flag.