Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Happy New Year. The Southron New Year tradition is cool -- did you come up with the 365 black-eyed peas tradition from the Spanish 12 grapes tradition? But the northern ice swimming tradition is cooler. I like that picture and the hand-operated augur.

Glen

Happy New Year. The Southron New Year tradition is cool -- did you come up with the 365 black-eyed peas tradition from the Spanish 12 grapes tradition? But the northern ice swimming tradition is cooler. I like that picture and the hand-operated augur.

The 365 pea tradition is an old Southern tradition from OTL that was known at least since 1838 so likely is older and I felt would be apropos for TTL.

The 12 grape tradition started in Spain perhaps around 1895 but definitely by 1909 so wasn't an inspiration to the black eyed peas but also sadly doesn't occur ITTL as it would be well over a century after change began on the continent.

Glen

The hunt for Neo-Thuggie leader Kala Phansigar at the end of the Population War was one of the largest international manhunts in all history. Military intelligence, national security services, even private investigators and bounty hunters sought out the elusive and enigmatic Phansigar. However, the man who finally brought Phansigar to justice was a colorful agent of the United States Bureau of Security, Hugh Patton. Agent Patton was one of the rising stars of the Bureau and also an avid athlete, and was on the US fencing team for the 1934 Olympics, taking first place in his competition. Patton was seconded to Legion of America Intelligence for the duration of the Population War, but most of his missions were secret and not available to the public. At the end of the war, Patton was offered his choice of assignments with the Bureau and chose to join the Bureau's efforts to track down the neo-Thuggie leader. After a year of little to no progress, Patton, who had mastered the art of disguise during the war and had learned several Hindoo languages, took a leave of absence and went deep undercover, roaming the globe through several Hindoo communities. Finally Patton reemerged with Phansigar in tow. Patton would eventually become head of the Bureau of Security and his life's story was made several times into major Kinees. A persistent rumor about Hugh Patton was his fascination with reincarnation and his fervent belief that he was the reincarnation of founder of the Bureau Gene Vidocq.

Agent Hugh Patton
b2936937073deb811ea73236cc167ac0.jpg

Glen

As understanding in chemistry and physics grew, it was soon discovered that it was possible for elatoms to lose or gain negatoms to form a charged elatom. The name derived for a charged elatom was an electom with an electom carrying a net negative charge being referred to as a negelectom and one with a net positive charge as a poselectom.

As part of the study of electricity, electropoles were used with a negatom emitting electropole being termed a negapole while a negatom accepting electropole was referred to as a posipole.

Neon_lamp_on_DC.JPG

Glen

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't the terms "cathode" and "anode" exist already?

They were first coined very early 1800s - about four decades after the POD and mostly in the UK which has been starting to get hit by the first wave of retarded butterflies.

EDIT - my mistake - it was coined in 1836 - definitely gonna have a different evolution in terms...

Here's hoping we can find out about this timeline's theme parks. Especially once we get in the era when big theme parks are relatively economically secure rather than folding within a few years like quite a few early theme parks.

Glen

Here's hoping we can find out about this timeline's theme parks. Especially once we get in the era when big theme parks are relatively economically secure rather than folding within a few years like quite a few early theme parks.

What an interesting idea...

What an interesting idea...
The timeline is currently somewhere between the short-lived trolley parks and the massively successful parks like Disneyland and Six Flags. Frederick Ingersoll created the first theme park chain in his Luna Parks but most of them only lasted a few years. People, especially people in peacetime like now ITTL, are willing to spend quite a lot in the pursuit of leisure. I'm fairly certain that any savvy entrepreneur can take advantage of the world's need to put the last war behind them to create a profitable theme park empire. Especially since the Baby Bounce created by the defeat of the Malthusians would result in more children to market family-friendly attractions to.

If I may make a suggestion for a soft drink themed park in Western Massachusetts:

Glen

The timeline is currently somewhere between the short-lived trolley parks and the massively successful parks like Disneyland and Six Flags. Frederick Ingersoll created the first theme park chain in his Luna Parks but most of them only lasted a few years. People, especially people in peacetime like now ITTL, are willing to spend quite a lot in the pursuit of leisure. I'm fairly certain that any savvy entrepreneur can take advantage of the world's need to put the last war behind them to create a profitable theme park empire. Especially since the Baby Bounce created by the defeat of the Malthusians would result in more children to market family-friendly attractions to.
If I may make a suggestion for a soft drink themed park in Western Massachusetts:

Y'all are fun!

Y'all are fun!
It's a topic that not a lot of timelines on this forum bring up. It's a cultural phenomenon that only really picked up in the mid-twentieth century. The creation of the interstate highway system and the rise of commercial flight allowed people to come from all corners of America to these theme parks. Tourism is a subject that's rarely brought up on this forum, which is an oversight that I wish to correct.

I'm thinking that Coney Island could be the site of an American theme park like OTL. The proximity of the American capital would likely help it somewhat. The warmer climate of the Ohio Rivery valley would likely attract tourists.

I'm guessing that the less swampy parts of the Deep South might attract theme parks too. I wouldn't hold out hope for anything west of Texas getting its own theme park until the DSA and the USA can cooperate on a dam project for the Colorado.

Even though I have been a member for a little while now, and a lurker for longer, I have to shamefully admit I never took notice of this timeline. After recently finding a fan-made map of the scenario and finding it an interesting idea, however, I've been quickly rectifying that :) For the last week or so I've been binge reading through the entire thread, and I've finally caught up. Glen, let me say that you've really made an incredible world here, both as a place to live in and as a work of worldbuilding. I had a few questions and comments to make now that I'm up to date:

1) How long do you plan to continue the timeline? I know something like this was asked a year or so ago, but I want to know if you've changed your plans at all since then. It would be interesting to see how this world would progress to the 21st century and beyond, and I think there's potential for the Human League to have to deal with a future global war or cold war between powerful blocs (which might make it go the way of the League of Nations).

2) How is Morocco handling all this new territory? Honestly, I don't see this new empire being very stable for very long. Moroccans themselves are now a minority in it, and there's going to be tension from groups who outnumber them and who don't want to be ruled from across the desert. Some Egyptians might have actually preferred the Ottomans, because at least the Ottomans were a lot closer and have a much longer shared history. There will also be a lot of racial and religious tensions in the south especially.

3) Which brings up another point, what do the religions in Africa look like? Were there still waves of missionaries into the continent (it's possible I might have overlooked it already being mentioned). Have there been many Deist missionaries in places like Morocco? It would be interesting to see how Deism might influence or combine with Islam.

4) Do you mind if I used your timeline as inspiration for a map and one-off scenario? Part of what first lead me here was noticing the similarities between your POD and one I used for a past project of mine, and I've had it stuck in my head to create a hybrid of the two ever since. I'd like to think of it as the product of someone living in the DSA timeline creating an alternate history where Carleton is assigned somewhere else, maybe South Carolina (somewhere like Quebec would simply be ASB).

Again, this has been a great read so far and I look forward to seeing what more you have planned.

Glen

It's a topic that not a lot of timelines on this forum bring up. It's a cultural phenomenon that only really picked up in the mid-twentieth century. The creation of the interstate highway system and the rise of commercial flight allowed people to come from all corners of America to these theme parks. Tourism is a subject that's rarely brought up on this forum, which is an oversight that I wish to correct.

I'm thinking that Coney Island could be the site of an American theme park like OTL. The proximity of the American capital would likely help it somewhat. The warmer climate of the Ohio Rivery valley would likely attract tourists.

I'm guessing that the less swampy parts of the Deep South might attract theme parks too. I wouldn't hold out hope for anything west of Texas getting its own theme park until the DSA and the USA can cooperate on a dam project for the Colorado.

You make several interesting points and I can think of some ways that these phenomena might develop in the world of the DSA. Thanks for pointing out this important area of culture.

One thing I'm not clear on is why a dam for the Colorado being important in your mind for this question?

You make several interesting points and I can think of some ways that these phenomena might develop in the world of the DSA. Thanks for pointing out this important area of culture.

One thing I'm not clear on is why a dam for the Colorado being important in your mind for this question?
Not a problem, Glen. Very few people think about the various cultural changes that'd happen. They usually focus on the flashy political changes. Culture's an important thing to keep in mind.

Because of water and power. Otherwise, a large project like a major theme park couldn't happen in British California. The area's too much of a backwater for such a project.

Glen

Even though I have been a member for a little while now, and a lurker for longer, I have to shamefully admit I never took notice of this timeline. After recently finding a fan-made map of the scenario and finding it an interesting idea, however, I've been quickly rectifying that :) For the last week or so I've been binge reading through the entire thread, and I've finally caught up. Glen, let me say that you've really made an incredible world here, both as a place to live in and as a work of worldbuilding. I had a few questions and comments to make now that I'm up to date:

Welcome moxn and thank you for your patronage. I will be happy to respond.

1) How long do you plan to continue the timeline? I know something like this was asked a year or so ago, but I want to know if you've changed your plans at all since then. It would be interesting to see how this world would progress to the 21st century and beyond,

I plan to bring it up to the present day roughly.

and I think there's potential for the Human League to have to deal with a future global war or cold war between powerful blocs (which might make it go the way of the League of Nations).

Time will tell...

2) How is Morocco handling all this new territory? Honestly, I don't see this new empire being very stable for very long. Moroccans themselves are now a minority in it, and there's going to be tension from groups who outnumber them and who don't want to be ruled from across the desert. Some Egyptians might have actually preferred the Ottomans, because at least the Ottomans were a lot closer and have a much longer shared history. There will also be a lot of racial and religious tensions in the south especially.
Well, you need to recognize that there are strong resemblances in the peoples of North Africa to Morocco, but Morocco is the only one with a strong tradition of independence, so it isn't as big of a stretch - in fact if you look at terms people of North Africa use for themselves and the region, they're pretty much the same as Morocco uses for itself.

However, Egypt and Sudan are different and there you might find some differences and some of the feelings that you describe...

3) Which brings up another point, what do the religions in Africa look like? Were there still waves of missionaries into the continent (it's possible I might have overlooked it already being mentioned). Have there been many Deist missionaries in places like Morocco? It would be interesting to see how Deism might influence or combine with Islam.
Missionaries yes, but not as much imperial support for those efforts. Deism has had much more global influence on other religions and there is some of that with Islam as well, though the impact of liberalism in general is greater.

4) Do you mind if I used your timeline as inspiration for a map and one-off scenario? Part of what first lead me here was noticing the similarities between your POD and one I used for a past project of mine, and I've had it stuck in my head to create a hybrid of the two ever since. I'd like to think of it as the product of someone living in the DSA timeline creating an alternate history where Carleton is assigned somewhere else, maybe South Carolina (somewhere like Quebec would simply be ASB).

Feel free to do so. I am happy that the DSA has proven an inspiration. Please let us know when you post it.

Again, this has been a great read so far and I look forward to seeing what more you have planned.

Thank you very much.