Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Tellus, Nov 17, 2011.

1. LSCatilina Feudal Leftist Extraordinaire

Just thinking about this...
    How comes nobody ever created a Blackadder dynasty with the ruler designer on Crusader Kings II, and played a Blackadder dynasty? The AAR could be glorious...

Patukov likes this.
  2. Karolus Rex Writer/History fanatic/Dark Lord of the Sith

Hope you don't mind if I steal this idea :extremelyhappy:. So first Edmund Blackadde a retarded with horrible stats, but with a smart Baldrick, that starts as duke of Edinburgh.

3. LSCatilina Feudal Leftist Extraordinaire

And every 2 or 3 generations, you get to name another son Edmund you raise being slightly more intelligent, while beggining less highly titled. And then you try to tweak your saves hard enough to play him!

4. Karolus Rex Writer/History fanatic/Dark Lord of the Sith

Its genius!! My original plan was for every two generations you have a Edmund, after the original, that drags the family from the hell the former dragged them into and raises them to power only for his son and grandson to lose everything.

5. LSCatilina Feudal Leftist Extraordinaire

Why not both?

And we need to recreate this guy as well, would it be only once.

6. Karolus Rex Writer/History fanatic/Dark Lord of the Sith

The crazy founder of the dynasty that managed to become king of Northumbria and that when he died, his son Edmund was so hated by everyone that he lost the throne staying just as Duke of Edinburgh.

7. LSCatilina Feudal Leftist Extraordinaire

Also, Laird of Roxburgh, Selkirk and Peebles. (Which is perfect for a bastard branch to appears as McAdders)
    Bonus points if a Blackadder becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.

Speaking of bastards, he must be made a legitimized bastard.

8. Karolus Rex Writer/History fanatic/Dark Lord of the Sith

Easy enough just make the King never marry and get him as many lovers as possible. About putting a Blackadder as Archbishop of Canterbury I have no ideas?

9. Yorel Well-Known Member

I think someone once started one such AAR on the Paradox forums... Sadly, it was discontinued.

10. The Tai-Pan Well-Known Member

Sometimes I love this game.

I have a vassal who hates me, hated my father, blocks all attempts at reforms and is always plotting to kill me. He even uses Favors to block my attempts at war and law changes.

Fair enough (he was good reason).

I finally ram a reform through. After his opinion raises slightly because he 'approves' of the reform!

11. Kaiyote Well-Known Member

Im playing as the von Luxemburg dynasty and I have a courtier of the von Luxembourg lol.

12. Helios Ra Restore Sanity

Land him and grant him independence and feud for the rest of the game

Sevarics likes this.
  13. Kaiyote Well-Known Member

It was a female but I could see if the family had males and try it lol.

14. The Tai-Pan Well-Known Member

Another death, another female ruled. My sister is heir so...

-10 Female Ruler

-10 Female Heir

-5 Frail

Man, what a start!

15. Milo Well-Known Member

Back in the day this was down, there was Blackadder TL either the original one or shortly after CK2 game out

16. Sevarics Just Another Gay Guy

I only ever allow for male only inheritance to avoid any chance outside dynasty inheriting

17. Shiva Dreaming... always dreaming...

I try to go for Absolute Inheritance and marry ALL of my daughters materially, that way the inheritance is secure, or at the least either get them marriages with distaff members of my dynasty, OR make them into Nuns.

18. Sevarics Just Another Gay Guy

I turn matrilineal marriages off because they're ahistorical

19. Yorel Well-Known Member

A-historical isn't the word I would use as there were rare instances of children taking the dynastic name of their mother in European history. An example I can name right away, though it's from the XVIIIth Century, is that of princess Louise Hippolyte of Monaco: she married Jacques Fran├žois Goyon, count of Matignon but the children took the name of Grimaldi to allow the dynasty to survive. So Matrilineal marriage were possible historically. That being said, they oftened hapenned for a very specific set of reasons, usually to allow the dynasty to survive, and they required an agreement between both families and sometimes their liege lord (in the case I mentionned, the King of France had to give his approval). This in turn explains the rarity of such unions.

This is where the game hits a limitation: it chose to base itself on dynasties but if it were to follow the historical truth, Game Over would be bound to happend everytime you had a female ruler. Matrilineal marriages thus had to be made far more common than it historically was.

Shiva likes this.
  20. Shiva Dreaming... always dreaming...

This is why I hope that Crusader Kings 3 will be based on 'Bloodline' rather than a specific dynasty, that way you can have a female ruler, let the dynasty change, and it not affect the flow of the game. Plus it would be more authentic to the historical era, and it would be more interesting to see how a line of descent grows and evolves without it all being based on one particular house.

You can start out as a minor count, then a few generations later due to inheritance and war have a female Duchess that marries a Prince that's third in line, then after a few 'accidents' she gets to be a Queen, her children Princes and Princesses and members of a more prestigious house, then her titles get inherited by her son when he comes of age and his father has suffered an 'accident'. Then his line continues for a few generations, they win wars, they lose wars, the Kingdom either grows or fails based on your decisions, then it comes down to a single female heir who marries a foreign King, creating a union of the crowns through their children... But one title is passed by inheritance, the other by gavelkind, so the story continues, with a new house and a completely different Kingdom, but if the line fails without heirs then it's passed to his brother in the original Kingdom.

That too me would be more realistic than a game that forces you to stick with one dynasty for centuries, when in reality only a handful of dynasties lasted much longer than two or three centuries.

GoukaRyuu likes this.