Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Okay, I'm a little, little, REALLY mad.

So I was messing around in Ironman as the Byzantine Count/Duke of Mallorca in the earliest start, trying to build an Orthodox Visigothic little chunk of land. For a few generations, so far so good, right? Well, I slowly start marrying into various landed families and ensuring that their daughters end up on the throne, at least of counties. I do this, and at one point, my ruler's grandsons end up in the court of their mother, my daughter-in-law. She does not let me educate them (making them Greek), and when my ruler then she finally expire, she's married off the sons matrilenally.

So when I play as the son, I attempt to plot to murder his (landless) wife, as I soon realize that these three heirs (one son and two daughters) are not of my dynasty. I get up to 300% assassination score, but nothing happens. In fact, the idiots in the plot keep blabbing about it, making my wife -1800 towards me just on attempted murder alone. I switch to Seduction focus, hoping to get some illegitimate children I can legitimize. I do, she hates me even more. I finally just imprison my wife and execute her, which angers my vassals (though they're just baron-level, so no threat). I go, whatever and remarry. No children for a couple years, but I've got the illegitimate kids to legitimize if I need it. I decide to imprison and execute the only son I have from the matrinlenal marriage, and to make sure it works, I park my marshal on my little province of Mallorca. 77%, it says. "good enough" I think, and click to imprison him. It fails, and he flees to a Sunni court somewhere (???). I cannot plot to kill my son even though he's a faithless matrinlenal child. Still doable though, I don't think he'll be popular as an Orthodox Visigoth in a Sunni Bedouin court. My ruler suddenly gets Infirm. I panic. He gets Incapable a day later. I panic again. He dies just three days later and I lose because my eldest son is of a different dynasty. I yell at the computer screen.

I try again, this time as the Visigothic Catholic Count of Narbonne in Carloman's kingdom in the Charlemagne start. I'm doing well for the first 9 years, I've got a few heirs, had Hunting focus, got a few cool events, and just in case, my ruler also has a few illegitimate children as a backup. Suddenly, my liege the Duke of Toulouse demands my my province. I'm annoyed, but I have stockpiled up gold for the "Amass Wealth" ambition, so I hire a 150 gold mercenary troop, and gather my regular troops to stand against my tyrannical liege. My troops are broken easily, and flee to the north while my liege sieges Narbonne. I get a loan and hire even more mercenaries, and beat back my liege's forces, unsieging my holdings (I had one left before defeat), and I go one province north to siege my liege's provinces, because it seems like the threat is over, and I don't have much money left so I want to end the war as soon as possible. What I don't realize is that my liege's troops just came back to siege my now unprotected province, and they do so and I lose.

Ugh, sometimes I hate this game. And love it at the same time.
Yeah... When the game really wants to fuck you over, it doesn't hold any punch... It can even lead me to ragequit at times because of how frustrating it can get. One of the worst cases I got was a game I had started as King Philippe I of France. At the time, Flanders was still de-jure part of the HRE (recent patches changed that) so I got the Kaiser declaring war on me on day 1 which was already a promising start... But then, Philippe died young and heirless and I thus played his younger brother Hugues II, there was a faction that turned into a rebellion, I was starting to lose everything when, top it all, the Pope excommunicated me...

At the same time, while it's frustrating and rage-inducing on the moment, it can make for fun memories when you look back...

Don't you love it when the AI manages to do something utterly random and you're just left thinking, "What the Hell?"

Attachments

• ck2_1.jpg
    ck2_1.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 315
The real fathers view is an eye-opener.

I once found out that all of "my" children were bastards from my wife's secret lover. The only reason I checked was because "my" youngest son was of a distinctly different ethnicity. Best part was that this was before the game had been patched so the "father" was a woman.

I once found out that all of "my" children were bastards from my wife's secret lover. The only reason I checked was because "my" youngest son was of a distinctly different ethnicity. Best part was that this was before the game had been patched so the "father" was a woman.

Gods, this game can easily make a person really misogynistic. The only ones you can trust are the ones you seduce, and sometimes not even then. :p

La donna e mobile, Qual piuma al vento, muta d'accento e di pensiero.... :p

Gods, this game can easily make a person really misogynistic. The only ones you can trust are the ones you seduce, and sometimes not even then. :p

La donna e mobile, Qual piuma al vento, muta d'accento e di pensiero.... :p

It's the name that matters! She can bang whoever she wants as long as I get an heir out of it.

Started a game a GOT mod game as a custom lord in Wendwater during The Crowned Stag's start. And so far, the game has been... interesting to say the least.

To sum up the events:
  • Robert Baratheon ended up remembered as Robert the Monster... He had a bunch of people executed, including his ten year old nephew. Not helping, he was disfigured and his portrait basically gave him a Hannibal Lecter-like mask... Was it really a good idea to overthrow Aerys II?
  • Robert's grandson was overthrown by Renly, whose line occupied the Iron Throne until recent events.
  • Robb Stark continued his habits of not dying in his bed in any of my games... He was very close to doing so this time, but he got killed in a trial by combat by one of his younger brothers when he was in his 40s. Well, at least a good deal of Starks are descended from him.
  • Tyrion rebelled against King Renly at one point and declared himself King of the Rock, but he apparently had gone mad. He sadly lost and got executed rather violently (drawn and quartered). Still, the Lannisters are still around and they're descended from him.
  • House Tyrell was overthrown in the Reach and replaced by House Florent. I need to check if the Tyrells are still around but last timeI did, there were only three people bearing the name Tyrell alive in the world... One of them being the Lord of Rosby. House Florent still holds the Reach BTW.
  • House Wylde was named as Lord Paramount of the Stormlands after Renly became King. They're still holding the title but last I check they somehow have Qartheen culture and the heir to the current Lady is actually the Lord Paramount of the Reach... Oh, and they had a dragon egg for a while but they never hatched it and apparently they lost it.
  • House Tully nearly went extinct but was saved thanks to a bastard of them getting legitimised. Shame because he had matrilinearily married in my family but since I have activated the game rule of "dynastic stability", his son took the name Tully because it was more prestigious. Still, for a time the Tullys lost control of the Riverlands shortly afterwards and have only recovered it a few years ago.
  • House Martell still rules in Dorne and its rule has never been challenged. One Prince did lose the title of Prince of Dorne to the King but his daughter eventually recovered the title.
  • Balon Greyjoy's grandson ended up worshipping R'hlorr and last I check, House Greyjoy was still doing so... But they've lost the Iron Islands to House Lannister in the meantime... Which also means House Lannister has been Lord Paramount of the Westerlands and the Iron Islands for a while.
  • During a succession crisis, House Stark lost the North to House Arryn. They eventually recovered it at one point but they have since lost it once again because of an uprising against the Iron Throne that resulted in an independent North under Duncan Flint.
  • House Arryn is still around because Jon Arryn's heirs took the name Arryn to rule the Vale. They held the North and the Vale for quite some time... Until Wildlings invaded the Vale and overthrew them. And later on, they also lost the North to the Stark. I think you have a Lord Arryn somewhere in the North.
  • The Targaryen are still around and are all descended from Daenerys. Viserys had three children but they all died childless. Among Dany's descendants, one has managed to recover the High Lordship of Dragonstone while another is a Lord Mayor in Essos and follows the Valyrian faith.
  • The Night's Watch has been destroyed and restored at least 4 times. Ironically, it's still around despite the fact we now have Widlings both Before and Beyond the Wall...
  • The Others? A threat? Apparently, the Widlings wiped them out when they appeared...
  • Pentos collapsed at one point and disappeared. It was eventually restored, but then soon after Braavos took over.
  • The Azhor Azai is the Titular Emperor of Myr.
  • The Wildlings eventually invaded the lands before the wall after they destroyed the Night's Watch one time. Since at the time the Arryn held both the North and the Vale, they naturally invaded... The Vale. They've been ruling it ever since, despite huge unpopularity in Westeros...
  • Worse in terms of things that don't make that much sense, the Wildling Lord Paramount of the Vale has managed to invade the Iron Throne... And he still hasn't been overthrown so far despite the fact he probably is at -100 popularity with any Westerosi characters. That probably has to do with the fact the factions to overthrow him can't agree on who they want to take the throne... (Several factions exist that support different characters)
  • The funniest part? My character has the intrigue focus and actually managed to captured the King TWICE. First time, he got out because he asked for a trial by combat and apparently won (but didn't kill his opponents as far as I know). Second time, I ransomed him for 385 gold because there was no signs of a rebellion...

Started a game a GOT mod game as a custom lord in Wendwater during The Crowned Stag's start. And so far, the game has been... interesting to say the least.

I've just started a game as well, although I've started as Robb Stark.

I'm now several years/decades in.

My sum up of events:
  • Tywin died of an illness and Tyrion inherited The Rock, immediately pulling Lannister forces out of the defence of Joffery's throne XD
  • I (The North) managed to win our independence fight however in the last battle I lost Robb Stark - he went down as the heroic martyr for Northern Independence.
  • Thus we gained King Brandon XII "The King in the North, The King in the North"
  • He decided to leave the Iron Throne to Stannis.
  • To protect my boarder i married Margery Tyrell and got 3 sons and a daughter from her.
  • Brandon died and his son Torrhen ascended to the throne and straight away faced rebellion from his Uncle Rickon and the Riverlands - once that was won i had a look around to see how the rest of the world had changed. . .

• The Lannister's still hold Casterly Rock, but now the Lydden's are Lord Paramount of the West.
  • The Tyrell's still hold the Reach as Lord Paramount but they now descend from someone way back after a Tyrell Civil War.
  • Arriane's son holds Dorne, his father was Prince Oberyn.
  • The Vale is held by the legitimised bastard of Harold Hardyng.
  • The the last Tully holds Riverrun and the Trident for King Torrhen, their heir is a Stark from my Rickon's line (Turns out he got the River Lords on side by marrying his cousin).
  • The Harlows are now King of the Iron Isle, only Euron had a son that lived to adulthood and he was defeated in a civil war.
  • The Stormlands are held by a Red God follower who was brought over from Pentos. They keep getting rebellions unsurprisingly.
  • Dany's dragons have all had children as well so there are now 6/7 wild dragons around.
My favourite bit
  • The Iron Throne is held by Yronwood, who descend from the marriage of Mycella Waters and Archibald Yronwood (a cousin of the then Lord Yronwood). Yes the grandson of Cersei and Jaime sits on the Iron Throne XD. From what i can work out, the Lords of Westeros stomached Stannis but his son was a zealous Red God follower and they didn't like that, so Dorne decided to put their dodgy claimant on the throne and none of the other Kingdoms bothered to help the Red God King.
He tried to retake the North but got defeated, took 7 years of war and winter really helped though.

So... The Intrigue focus has actually allowed me to murder two kings on the Iron Throne without getting caught... Didn't know I could arrange that.

Now, the Queen on the Iron Throne is an underaged wildling girl that's been constantly at war... And yet, I don't think she is going to be overthrown anytime soon: factions don't seem ready to argue on who they want: they only seem to argue that it has to be a Targaryen because there the only potential claimants left. Oh well, by this point, I'm just happy to the watch the world burn since no one seems to bother besieging my castle...

In other news, the Stormlands are once again under Baratheon rule after a rather... messy series of events. If I remember right, the Iron Throne revoked the Stormlands from House Wylde, then had to fight the Lord Paramount of the Reach because he had a claim, still managed to win, granted the title to a wildling that immediately got overthrown by a Baratheon...

I also had the unique chance of seeing the last non-wildling King on the Iron Throne become High Septon... Only for him to be executed by the guy who became the next High Septon.

The real fathers view is an eye-opener.
Remember the Maid of Norway game I told you about, where the only child who wasn't a bastard was the oldest son after I had my character sleep her way through pretty much the entire Scottish aristocracy?

Turns out my character's Italian husband was siring a boatload of children on her best friend.

Remember the Maid of Norway game I told you about, where the only child who wasn't a bastard was the oldest son after I had my character sleep her way through pretty much the entire Scottish aristocracy?

Turns out my character's Italian husband was siring a boatload of children on her best friend.

That's why I always prefer female monarchs to male ones in the game. You don't have to question where the children came from, you know for sure who the father is. :D

Next DLC has been announced: Monks & Mystics. It will apparently be a religion-focused DLC with sects & monastic orders. There also seems to be a lot of new events coming, and each councilor will get a new action.

Next DLC has been announced: Monks & Mystics. It will apparently be a religion-focused DLC with sects & monastic orders. There also seems to be a lot of new events coming, and each councilor will get a new action.

I hope they split off the gnostic 'heresies' from the 'main' religions so it's easier to play them.

Hell, just giving all of the heresies ACTUAL UNIQUE MECHANICS would make for a reason to actually have your ruler BECOME a heretic in the FIRST PLACE.

Yeah, I have a feeling thay should have been a feature of Sons of Abraham.
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and consider the possibility that they hadn't thought about it at the time or simply didn't know how to impelement those mechanics well. Besides, Sons of Abraham introduced a shit-ton of stuff related to religion as far as I remember, and the main focus of the DLC was the addition of the jews, even if all religions gained new mechanics.
I hope they split off the gnostic 'heresies' from the 'main' religions so it's easier to play them.

Hell, just giving all of the heresies ACTUAL UNIQUE MECHANICS would make for a reason to actually have your ruler BECOME a heretic in the FIRST PLACE.
We'll have to wait for more Dev Diaries to come out to see how they're going to work.