Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

My only minor gripe is that if youre going to show the Carpathians on the political map (they act as unpassable terrain), you could at least make sure the Bohemian mountains don't look like soft plains :p
Haha yeah

that and the fact that Paradox is maintaining a perfect no-hitter on "correctly spelling Pomerania"

It should have some improvements, if only because its casus belli is much stricter than before. Wars can only have a single goal, and that goal determines the outcome of the war.

So for instance a crusade against a middle statelet couldnt result in a counter-invasion where Muslims end up annexing a Catholic state anymore. This basically hard-codes some sanity into the results.

How sane itll be, we've yet to see, though.

I am not sure I like this... no, wait, I lie. I am sure than I do not like this. Such restrictive CB are not only incredibly frustrating for the player, they are really ahistorical -let's not forger the most ovbious example of that era, where a Crusade to recover te Holy Land ended up looting Christedom's greatest city a thousand miles away.

Indeed :mad: Best argument yet an American managed to find in favor of the two-party system. :p

Back on topic:

The map was just recolored and looks much nicer IMO. This is what its gonna look like after all, more or less:

attachment.php

My only minor gripe is that if youre going to show the Carpathians on the political map (they act as unpassable terrain), you could at least make sure the Bohemian mountains don't look like soft plains :p

The map in general looks brilliant. My minor gripe is that they only changed some of the province borders in certain regions and that in other regions we're still stuck with the same provinces, which already looked wrong in CK 1 (like most of the internal borders in the HRE or Hungary).

I am not sure I like this... no, wait, I lie. I am sure than I do not like this. Such restrictive CB are not only incredibly frustrating for the player, they are really ahistorical -let's not forger the most ovbious example of that era, where a Crusade to recover te Holy Land ended up looting Christedom's greatest city a thousand miles away.
Crusades are quite easy to do though it seems. You have Crusade CBs so you can attack a crusade target, but you also have holy war CBs against all Muslims and Pagans (you get more prestige and piety for the crusade cb than from the holy war cb though). In the LP I've watched you just declare war, snatch a duchy in the peace, then fight against some other Muslims while you wait for the truce to run out, and then declare war again for the next duchy. Also you get those completely overpowered Holy Orders at your side that cost no money and just kick everyones ass.

I wish Paradox actually did like a 5 minute google research so at least province names would be vaguely correct :/

wormyguy

Banned
I was always under the impression they were trying to make the map look like a medieval one (i.e. somewhat freeform).

I'll open the discussion by asking: who will you play first?
Cant check the link right now so im not sure if we're still only limited to feudal states. As for me though, i'll play my first real game as Serbia, since thats the one i played the most in CK1. Following that perhaps a game as Sicily.

Tellus

Banned
Crusades are quite easy to do though it seems. You have Crusade CBs so you can attack a crusade target, but you also have holy war CBs against all Muslims and Pagans (you get more prestige and piety for the crusade cb than from the holy war cb though). In the LP I've watched you just declare war, snatch a duchy in the peace, then fight against some other Muslims while you wait for the truce to run out, and then declare war again for the next duchy. Also you get those completely overpowered Holy Orders at your side that cost no money and just kick everyones ass.

Well the Holy Orders cost piety which is often just as bad as paying in gold. And since wars are limited to a single objective, expansion isn't that easy either. But sure, a warlike lord who wants to expand into infidel territory wont lack for reasons, nor should be!

The map in general looks brilliant. My minor gripe is that they only changed some of the province borders in certain regions and that in other regions we're still stuck with the same provinces, which already looked wrong in CK 1 (like most of the internal borders in the HRE or Hungary).

Bohemia-Moravia looks really weird.

Bohemia-Moravia looks really weird.

What to think of the fact, that they didn't even revise the completely wrong set up in the Austrian Region?
The province of Innsbruck is the area where Carinthia should have been. Carinthia on the map is where Southern Styria (Cilli/Celje) and a part of Carniola (& Windic March) ought to have been. The southern part of the province of Österreich on the map is actually Northern Styria.
The duchy of Austria, ideally two provinces (Upper (East) (Traungau) and Lower (West), should be made up of northern Österreich, most of Znojmo and Passau and the North East of Salzburg on the current map. etc.

It looks pretty, minus the provinces.

Why can`t they use Provinces from V2 for this?

Probably because they want to depict a different timeframe...

Zioneer

Banned
Just an announcement: Pre-ordering has begun. You can now pre-order CK2 on Gamersgate and at least one other site.

This being Paradox, I'm waiting for them to get (most of) the bugs out, and come up with the bells and whistle version before I buy.

The civil war system sounds like a variation on what they came up with EU: Rome--which I pretty much view as their practice run for CK 2 mechanics, actually...

(Let's hope they've made it easier to change your succession law...)

Zioneer

Banned
This being Paradox, I'm waiting for them to get (most of) the bugs out, and come up with the bells and whistle version before I buy.

The civil war system sounds like a variation on what they came up with EU: Rome--which I pretty much view as their practice run for CK 2 mechanics, actually...

(Let's hope they've made it easier to change your succession law...)

Well, the developers have specifically said that the bugs issue is why they're waiting until February to actually release CK2, rather than shoving it out the door in time for Christmas. So I have hope for a relatively bug-free CK2.