• Undecided

Votes: 23 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 73, Part 3

Two Hours Later,

Oval Office

“Sir, I swear on my honour that I didn’t authorize any of my men to engage in this behavior,” stammered out the American CIA director, R. James Woolsey.

“Relax, I believe you,” replied the American President.

“I’ll order a through investigation of this matter and punish any individuals who were responsible.”

“That’s a good idea, Woolsey. I need you to be proactive in the media and make it clear that if this conspiracy occurred then it was nothing more than a handful of rouge CIA employees. The liberals are already reaming us on this. Dick Gephardt has already announced that he will establish a select committee on this ‘scandal that makes Iran-Contra look like small fries.’ Damn opportunists,” snarled the American President.

“Sir, I think that we would be best served if I tendered my resignation. That way you wouldn’t be hurt by this scandal”

“No, Woolsey, that’s not necessary. I need you to be in charge of the CIA. You know what the hell you’re doing and we need more people like you in government. Besides, if you resign, it’s tantamount to admitting guilt. You and me did nothing illegal or wrong.”

Later that night,

President Bush took to the air to discuss the “Arms for South Africa” Scandal, or “Apartheidgate” as many in the media were calling it. Throughout the day, the scandal had monopolized the news coverage in the United States. Already both candidates had chimed in on the issue, with Bob Dole, urging “Americans to not rush to conclusions” and Gore pointing to the scandal as “evidence of the lack of ethics that existence in the Bush government.”

Vowing to “fully and impartially investigate the matter,” Bush promised accountability for CIA officers who have “violated a sacred trust.” Arguing that he had a “grave and inviolable respect for the American people” Bush promised that he would never “intentionally compromise that trust by violating the law or the spirit of the law.”

Bush also took time to denounce his critics and what he labelled as their “political opportunism.” Claiming that they were taking advantage of “Apartheidgate” for political purposes ahead of the Election, President Bush denounced the campaign “of smears, rumours, and innuendo” which had been waged against him and his character.

In his closing remarks he asked all Americans to “unite together” so that an “unbiased inquiry can take place.” With that, he finished his remarks before bidding goodnight to the American public.

Chapter 73, Part 4
July 2, 1996

Capitol Hill, Washington DC, United States

Speaker of the House Dick Gephardt held a press conference about Apartheidgate. Announcing that he was going to establish a select committee to investigate the matter, the Democratic Congressional leader vowed, “to put no limits on this committee in its campaign to uncover the truth.” Appoint Nancy Pelosi as the head of the committee, Gephardt expressed complete confidence in her ability to “leave no stone unturned.”

Several House Republicans have called for a boycott of the committee, which House Minority Leader Gingrich has labelled a “political witch hunt.” However, several Republicans have announced that they support the proceedings, expressing dismay at the CIA’s abuse of power. Many Republican strategists have urged bi-partisan participation in order to ensure that it remains a non-political investigation into rogue CIA actions and doesn’t devolve into a politicized investigation.

President Bush has taken a massive hit in his approval ratings, dropping from having a 60% approval rating to having a 42% approval rating almost overnight.

090209_gephardt_vogel.jpg

^
Dick Gephardt, the Speaker of the House.]

hqdefault.jpg

^
Nancy Pelosi has been appointed to head the committee into "Apartheidgate/Pretoriagate."

July 10, 1996

Capitol Hill, Washington DC, United States

Today the House Select Committee on the Alleged Illicit Arming of South Africa convened for its first day of work. They are tasked with determining whether or not the actions of the “Elmo Group” was in violation of United States laws on the prohibition of arming the Apartheid government of SOuth Africa and whether or not the CIA Director or members of the Bush Administration authorized their program. Additionally, they are also authorized to investigate to what extent the Israeli government was involved in the transferring of weapons to South Africa.

They have already begun to take testimony from the journalist who exposed the conspiracy, John Michaelson, a previously little known reporter for the Washington Post. During the course of today’s proceedings he was grilled by several committee members, mostly Republicans, who questioned the authenticity of the documents that were published by the Washington Post with some committee members insinuating that the documents were forged. Dismissing such allegations, Michaelson insisted that intelligence experts at the Washington Post had validated the documents to be authentic.

He was further grilled over the fact that he outed Loyd Tanner, a CIA agent and alleged head of “Elmo Group.” The exposing of a CIA operative is a felony under US law. Michaelson has brushed away such denunciations, claiming that the “exposure of the biggest criminal conspiracy since Iran-Contra” was far more important. Pointing to the fact that the names of other CIA agents were censored by the Washington Post, Michaelson argued that the newspaper was very meticulous in protecting the identity of other CIA agents who were “only following orders which they thought were legitimate.”

When pressured to identify his source, Michaelson bristled at the proposal. Claiming that such a move would “violate journalistic ethics” Michaelson said that he would never expose his source, without first obtaining permission to do so. Several members of the committee have requested that the anonymous whistleblower testify in front of the committee in order to authentic that the source exists and is truly a CIA officer.

Later, in the day, R. James Wollsey, the CIA Director came in to give testimony, summoned with a subpoena. Despite the harsh questioning of the Congressional Democrats Woolsey held his ground, denying charges that he had authorized the controversial program. Countering insinuations that either him or the President should be impeached, the CIA head pointed to the lack of evidence directly tying them to the program and also pointed out that technically no criminal act would have been committed as it would have been the Israeli government which that technically sold the weapons to South Africa.

President Bush denounced the “politicized nature” of the hearings. However, he vowed to “fully cooperate with the committee and comply with the law.” The final months of the Bush Presidency would be filled with misery for the American statesman as his reputation swiftly crumbled.

The Republicans are done. Even if no high-command personnel are found guilty the public will go to vote thinking that 16 years of Republican dominance are enough and its time for an alternance of power in the White House.

The Republicans are done. Even if no high-command personnel are found guilty the public will go to vote thinking that 16 years of Republican dominance are enough and its time for an alternance of power in the White House.

Gosh, ya think?

I would be less critical of Bush if it weren't for his choosing the "deniable" route for dealing with the Romanian crisis. If he'd have taken the high ground in that case, he could weasel out of Apartheidgate a lot cleaner. He could point out that the Cold War crisis was severe, leading to very tight security and "need to know" compartmentalizing oversight to the degree that a few rouges could misinterpret his policy so badly, whereas once the clear and present danger of global Ragnarok had passed with the May Revolution, his administration moved into the clear light of accountability.

From some perspectives, including mine, even if we weren't skeptical he might indeed have ordered the South African government helped personally, we'd wonder how it is that anyone permitted to remain in high circles of the CIA could possibly believe POTUS wanted the apartheid regime supported.

Cold War again, would be the answer if anyone deigned to hear the question...since the South African regime was in fact under Communist attack, and even ANC as opposed to the CPSA was suspected of being a Communist front, and military forces with indirect (and still some direct) Soviet backing were among those threatening SA, which the SADF (Defense Forces that is) were waging a "valiant" fight against too...for all these reasons South Africa under its former government was regarded as too valuable an anti-Soviet ally to ditch. Plus of course "no one" in the administration would have expected or wanted to see SA nukes (which after all they developed themselves, albeit with Israeli help, years before this aid) used against South African populations.

But some of us would be thinking, yah right, it's just unthinkable that any of Bush's merry men would themselves be white supremacists who sympathize not only with South African Nationalist anti-Communism but also with the notion that whites are better off dead than subject to non-white majority rule. As one might have to clarify to Sheldon Cooper--Sarcasm.

These thoughts would probably not occur to anyone who wasn't a long-time foe of the Republican ascendency of the 80s and 90s. But then there always were a lot of us.

Anyway since Bush did not choose to distinguish his Cold War era style from his post-Cold War style, his credibility suffers now, and deservedly so. This stuff is all about why I'd never vote for him, not since I graduated from high school anyway.

Nancy Pelosi has been appointed to head the committee into "Apartheidgate/Pretoriagate."
I am pleased to see the term in this update.

Countering insinuations that either him or the President should be impeached, the CIA head pointed to the lack of evidence directly tying them to the program and also pointed out that technically no criminal act would have been committed as it would have been the Israeli government which that technically sold the weapons to South Africa.
So Bush will stay up until the end of his term. Also, I think Israel should give us two words about this... ;)

The final months of the Bush Presidency would be filled with misery for the American statesman as his reputation swiftly crumbled.
Yep, that's definately going to be hard.

Chapter 73, Part 5

Later that night,

Capitol Grill, Washington DC, United States

Once again John Michaelson and “Casablanca,” his anonymous source were eating dinner at their favorite rendezvous point. John Michaelson was exhausted after getting grilled all day by the “Apartheidgate Committee.” He was concerned that the investigation was becoming nothing more than political theater, with both sides using the investigation in order to sully their opponents rather than investigate wrongdoing by members of the CIA.

One of the key issues hindering the investigation were questions about the veracity of the information being provided by Michaelson’s source and questions about whether or not his source even existed. While he knew that his source wanted to remain anonymous, he had to find a way to persuade him to come forward and testify in front of Congress if justice were to be done.

“Look, sir, I appreciate your actions in coming forth and exposing this behavior. You’ve done the nation a great service by providing this data.”

“Thank you. I’m glad I could do my part,” replied “Casablanca” smugly.

“I want you to understand that I would never violate your anonymity or expose you to the media or the public without your permission. However, I fear that the Congressional investigation into this matter will collapse if you don’t come forth and provide information in the form of testimony in front of Congress. Several people in the media are insinuating that I’ve made this story up and I’m lose face if-”

“There isn’t a snow balls chance in hell of me exposing my identity to the public! Do you realize that what would happen to me if I got exposed. I’ll lose my job in the CIA. Hell the Israeli kikes will come and whack me!” screamed the CIA officer.

“If we want justice to do done then you’ll have to come forward-”

“Screw you and your concerns for ‘justice.’ I’ve gotten all that I want out this, ok! I’ve gotten my money.”

“You self-centered bast-”

“Look who’s talking! You got what you wanted, fame and an increase in pay!”

That accusation stung John. How dare that bastard say that, he thought to himself. Deciding to play hardball with “Casablanca” he lowered his voice as he leaned in to threaten his colleague.

“Allow me to inform you of a little secret,” snarled John. “When me and my editor meet in our second meeting, we made sure to have one of our friends tag along. While we were discussing the terms of our little cash for data deal, he was snapping photos of you from another table.”

“What are you saying?” asked “Casablanca.”

“Let’s just say it would be a shame if those picture were to be exposed to the general public. I’m sure your colleagues at the CIA will be more than capable of identifying you,” said the journalist smugly.

“Listen here, you little shit! Let’s just say if those photos get published then I can see to it personally that someone wastes your sorry ass! I may work for the CIA but I have plenty of other friends in the local crime scene who can make your life a living hell.”

With that he stood up and stormed out of the restaurant. John sat quivering in his seat. His quest for the truth and justice would only go so far. There were some things which weren’t worth dying over.

Chapter 73, Part 5

Later that night,

Capitol Grill, Washington DC, United States

Once again John Michaelson and “Casablanca,” his anonymous source were eating dinner at their favorite rendezvous point. ..

“Allow me to inform you of a little secret,” snarled John. “When me and my editor meet in our second meeting, we made sure to have one of our friends tag along. While we were discussing the terms of our little cash for data deal, he was snapping photos of you from another table.”..

A couple problems here.

It would "be a shame" for Michelson as well as "Casablanca" if those pictures got out all right. Al that stuff about journalistic integrity? Letting the pictures "slip" is just the same thing as letting his real name slip.

Oh yeah...if revealing the name of your source is bad journalistic ethics, I would suppose getting them killed or extraordinarily rendered would be frowned on too. (pretend I put the old 'roll eyes' emoticon here--I don't like the new ones).

Presumably no one at the Washington Post knows who "Casablanca" is. They might have the resources to check a photo against some database of people they think might be connected to national security or some such, but that would be hit or miss.

Meanwhile, even if WaPo staff, say the photographer themself, various clerks asked to glance through the photo archives and compare, etc, are not told anything about what story their assignment relates to, they can all guess to some extent. The photographer for instance will remember which journalists they were assigned to work with and note that just a few days after that assignment the scandal story broke, and notice the story byline is that same dude they were sent to cover--and aside from the photograph itself, presumably locked in a vault somewhere, the photographer can perhaps be tricked or otherwise compelled to reveal what they saw. "Three can keep a secret, if two are dead."

For a professional spook, "Casablanca" is pretty sloppy!

Because given a picture, the Agency itself surely will know, pretty quickly.

Anyway once the story breaks, finding out who the leak was becomes a huge priority for the Agency. Not just to assign blame, but to seal up gaps in their operations that aren't supposed to be there. And oh yes, protect the President.

The Agency could hardly assign their own photographer-tail to every cub reporter of every newspaper. But once the story does break and Michelson gets his on 30 seconds of fame, the Agency sure does know now to tail him, in case the two ever meet again just like this.

Two guys meeting in a restaurant is corny enough. Michelson should have known better and sent a random fellow journalist to meet with "Casablanca." and if the mole couldn't have come up with a safer method of communicating with the press than this, he should surely know better than to meet with the guy whose byline broke the story ever again in his life.

Well, I should not be too surprised if in real life sloppier stuff than this happens. If a story seems to be going off the rails with completely preposterous stuff happening...the author is probably quoting reality!

Meeting in a restaurant is corny, all right. But it is so corny that it might be dismissed by counterintelligence out of hand. In plain sight and all that...

Chapter 73, Part 6

July 29, 1996

Nancy Pelosi’s Congressional Office, Capitol Hill, Washington DC, United States of America

Pelosi, the California congresswoman greeted Loyd Tanner, her special guest. The man had been at the very heart of the Congressional investigation into the actions of “Elmo Group.” In the Washington Post story that broke the story, he had been named as the man who was at the head of the group. Whether or not he was the master of the conspiracy or a mere pawn of bigger forces was the question that was on the minds of most committee members.

Throughout the course of the investigation he had insisted that he was only a lowly officer in the CIA’s Middle-East Bureau who was the victim of a campaign to frame him. However, more concrete material evidence was beginning to come to the fore. An estimated $25 million dollars had disappeared from that bureau’s coffers during the time of 1992-1994. Additionally, it had been revealed that $35 million dollars had entered that bureau’s coffers from an unknown source. Finally, a mole in the Israeli embassy defected to the US and procured Mossad documentation which showed that the Israeli government had procured parts for nearly a thousand “logs,” codeword for high-tech weaponry/equipment (i.e. night vision googles) and handheld anti-tank weapons. This revelation has prompted outrage from the Israeli government, who “expressed grave concern about reports that the CIA had recruited embassy staff as moles,” while dismissing the “Apartheidgate” allegations against Israeli government as “standard anti-semitic drivel.”

Deep down Pelosi knew the reason for Tanner’s reluctance to cooperate. It was simple, he was afraid of eventually getting prosecuted should he shed light onto the conspiracy. He had to be persuaded that the committee wasn’t his enemy but rather his “get out of jail free” card.

“I would like to make an offer to you, Mr. Tanner.” said Pelosi.

“What would that be?” inquired the man.

“I now that you’re trying to protect yourself from potentially going to jail by stonewalling the committee. However, that won’t work forever. There is a growing body of material evidence that would indicate that the CIA was in fact involved in Apartheidgate. It’s just a matter of time before evidence gets published that points to you.”

“That won’t happen. I’m innocent,” replied the man.

“Maybe so. But let’s just say that you aren’t. It would be a shame if the testimony you have given to us were to exposed as fraudulent. In other words you would go to prison for perjury. It would be ironic; you would go to prison for the cover up and not for the actual crime,” said the committee chair smugly.

“But back to my offer. If you are willing to come forward and expose the identities of others involved then I’m willing to pull strings to see to it that you are protected from prosecution. Furthermore, it would be most appreciated if you could shed light on any connections your group had with the White House or with the CIA director.”

Mr. Tanner remained silent.

“Think about it, and let me know within the 24 hours.”

Status
Not open for further replies.