Colonisation of the Kerguelen Islands?

I'll see what I can think of...

....Or what others suggest I put in. Many thanks for your kindness.

You might like to consider a Nantucket whaler or sealer starting a tryworks that becomes a US Colony...

'Between Scylla And Charybdis' :

After the majority of Port Resolution had been rebuilt, the construction of 'Scheer Stadt' was carried out in just enough time to avoid the worst of the 1941/1942 winter, although the crew found the Kerguelen diet rich in fish and edible seaweed a rather tough experience; the enterprising locals had made a wine or beer out of Laminaria Saccharine, the seaweed commonly called 'sugar wrack', looking and tasting a bit like a sherry. The German seamen tried it cautiously, justifiably suspicious, but some developed a taste for this local brew and one man - Wernher Groot - decided to see if he could improve it with his knowledge of German winemaking. His efforts were to make for a smoother brew that even the lower decks approved of and the Royal Navy ships on the Kerguelen Station wanted more of; the delighted locals suddenly discovered that they had something exportable that would bring income. At that point, the Germans started to be respected, if not yet liked; there was a war on, after all, the Marines and Home Guards had live rounds in their rifles and machine guns.

Royal Navy divers had managed to briefly descend to Admiral Scheer but at over 300 feet down the pocket battleship lay on its side and was too deep to salve, without more advanced technical knowledge. The news of this somehow percolated to Germany through diplomatic channels - the Swedish official acting as Protecting Power was involved - and Grossadmiral Raeder told Hitler. It seemed that Krancke had made sure that the fjord protected the secrets of the Reich, even if he was on parole as a 'trusty' Kriegsgefangener in British custody; it made his actions more palatable, prompting Hitler to order that Raeder conduct 'Projekt Schwein' - an attempt to extract at least one officer from Kerguelen. The Unterseeboote involved were primarily tasked with attacking British shipping in the Capetown area, but U-43 under Wolfgang Luth was tasked with 'Schwein' and in November 1941 moved into position near Kerguelen.

Kerguelen had expanded its forces slightly, as the Royal Navy realised it was a useful recce and ASW platform against commerce raiders and U-boats, the RAAF boosting its forces to four Catalina flying boats, five Ansons and ten Buffaloes, with six Swordfish torpedo bombers. They had not yet sunk any submarines, but had forced the Thor to move northwards into Indian waters, where it came to grief; the island of Kerguelen was an 'unsinkable aircraft carrier ' and a major nuisance to U-boat operations. A radar set installed on a spur of Mount Banks could reach a hundred miles out to detect aircraft, which was mostly useful for air traffic control, but also gave a decent thirty mile range detection of surfaced submarines and ships.

Unfortunately, the bulk of the Mountain shielded approaches from the South and West, which the Kriegsmarine found out and was to make use of; U-43 approached the southern coast of the main island and cautiously navigated the stormy seas until within a few miles of Murray's Isle, where it submerged and headed towards Molloy near where Scheerstadt had been constructed. Luth surfaced near a rocky cove and Oberleutnant zur See Hans Joachim Schwantke went ashore with two Matrosen in a rubber dinghy to reconnoitre whilst the submarine dived and moved offshore. Schwantke managed to approach the prisoner of war town in his ordinary uniform and was astonished to discover that the guards did not do more than nod him through. Vastly puzzled, he went to find Joseph Schultz, an old friend from happier days, finding him hanging out clothes he had been laundering.

"Du Lieber Gott!" Oberleutnant Schultz gasped. "Was machen sie hier?"

"I am here to find out what is going on." Schwantke explained, somewhat grimly. "And to take you home. Is there somewhere we can talk privately?"

"Naturlich." His old friend led Schwantke to the simple stone and corrugated iron shed he had as his berth. "Herr Kapitan Krancke will want you to take his report to the Kriegsmarine. We are on parole, but you are not. Krancke is a man worth following. I have here paper, a pen and ink."

Schwantke got a report out of Schultz that outlined all he knew of the action that had been the swan-song of the pocket battleship; it made disturbing reading, explaining the events leading up to the surrender of Krancke to the Governor, rather than the Royal Navy. Admiral Scheer was safely scuttled and the Brits only had AA guns and small arms from the surrender, but had given the Germans surprising liberty in exchange for a parole none expected to be broken. Then there was a discreet knock on the door; Schultz opened it and started, saluting his senior officer. Krancke returned the salute and came in.

"Oberleutnant Schwantke, Mein Herr." Schultz introduced his friend.

"At ease, Oberleutnant... Unterseeboote, ja?" Krancke was nothing if not quick-witted. "I have a report for the Grossadmiral, so I will let you take it. But you must not get caught by the Englanders."

"I was told to bring back an officer for questioning." Schwantke answered him; that did not go down well with Schultz or the two Obermaate who had followed their commanding officer inside, even if Krancke was willing.

"And have that officer court-martialled for saving his crew? Nein!" The senior of the two answered him. "Our Seamen's Council will not allow it!"

Hitler's response to the loss of Admiral Scheer had fatally angered the crew into supporting Krancke as he had saved their lives and negotiated access to the work and resources needed for their survival. The Royal Navy and the Australian Government had provided the bare minimum, but the prisoners of war had otherwise been forced to fend for themselves. The success of the seaweed wine had been matched by skilled rebuilding of wind turbines, the preparation of a fish, seaweed and Kerguelen Cabbage stew (nutritious but vile-tasting), some light engineering for civilians and organisation of various utility support services. Schwantke listened and recorded what they all told him, rather stunned; it seemed that the German crew had made themselves essential to the Britishers as a way of keeping alive and out of Royal Navy detention centres in Australia.

"The German Colony in Kerguelen." Franz Schiffert, one of the two Obermaat explained. "If the Fuhrer recognises our Herr Kapitan as the good man he is, we will be Kriegsmarine again. Verstehen?"

"...
They have engineered freedom and made themselves indispensable." Schwantke reported. "They could take over the Colony as soon as the Englanders accept an Armistice. But they will only do so if there is an assurance that they will return to their families. I was refused permission to take any officer or seaman back to Germany. But I do have that detailed report from their Kapitan."

Last edited:
Why is it that carving a living out of an island like this or the Falklands at the edge of the world seems so exciting?

I sort of developed a fascination with regions at the edge of the world, like these islands in the South Indian Ocean, partly because Malaysian 370 probably ended up near there.

Driftless

Donor
Why is it that carving a living out of an island like this or the Falklands at the edge of the world seems so exciting?

I think there's always been this Robinson Crusoe meet Swiss Family Robinson meet Ernest Shackleton sense of adventure for places west of the moon. Add in Corditeman has spun us a CS Forester-esque yarn flavored with a dash of Erskine Childers - what's not to like?

What about Andean crops? Oca,mashua,yacon,ulluco, and of course potatoes. Pitseed goosefoot is common throughout Alaska and Canada and would make for a suitable psuedo-cereal as well as qaniwa and tartary buckwheat in addition to rye. Mallards would be relatively easy to farm as well.

Thanks for the introduction to these starch crops!

Very, very interesting, but you'd probably need a Spanish colonial official sending Andeans/people familiar with Andean agriculture to the place to get those established. I admit that I had never heard of most of those (some fan of alternate agriculture I am). But a Spain interested in that part of the world would necessitate a Spain more interested in Australia, which would require either a Lands of Red and Gold-type scenario or a Spain most interested in the East Indies.

Goosefoot is even less likely, since that was even less established than those Andean crops. But at that point, maybe even go Lands of Ice and Mice and put in sweetvetch and other Arctic crops.

Seems like Kerguelen is a place that most relies on the right people with the right stuff at the right time to be a successful colony (which is kinda the route to success for most things). But as other posters have noted, the result is massively interesting.

Post # 62 is complete...

'At last!' I hear you cry. Next we find out about reactions in Germany - and elsewhere...

...Crafty, these barrack-room lawyers of the Kriegsmarine. I see Raeder chuckling and Doenitz smiling - and Hitler thinking hard. That damned scoundrel was clever and may see the advantages.

Your suggestions gratefully received. On holiday with caravan in Norfolk so may be able to do something...

Actions - And Reactions...

U-43 took almost a month to return to Lorient Naval Base, nearly being sunk twice on the way by task forces operating out of Freetown and Gibraltar but got back and sent the intelligence and Schwantke to Berlin; Raeder was astonished by the news, but Hitler... Hitler became very thoughtful and he presently came to a decision.

"They are Kriegsmarine. Restore Krancke to rank and pay as Kapitan zur See of the survivors of Admiral Scheer. When the Englanders come to terms, he will be the Kolonialgouverneur in Kerguelen. That should teach the Englanders a lesson!" Raeder sighed, but held his peace; U-43 would have to be careful about its cloak and dagger missions in future.

"The cheeky scoundrel!" Churchill controlled his feelings on this occasion. "The bastard is putting that Captain and his crew on the spot - I gather Krancke is actually a decent officer?"

"Yes, Prime Minister - he used to be a Reichsmarine officer, not a hidebound Nazi." Lord George Lloyd told him; to be put in the Colonial Office after Ramsay MacDonald had been tough. "Milne looked into him for me. Faithful to the Fatherland, a career Naval officer. Now he works as Senior German Officer at Scheerstadt and negotiates with our Governor on Kerguelen. Hitler must have changed his mind in the night. How he imagines Krancke can do anything to overthrow our garrison is known only to him and to God."

"That blasted raider Atlantis managed to use a remote part of Kerguelen - have the Germans landed spies?" General Ironside suddenly had a thought. "It might explain why the Germans used the language they did."

A few days later a U-boat sank the supply ship RFA Brambleleaf, an oiler delivering fuel oil, diesel and aviation fuel, for the garrison, just a day after it had left Port Resolution for Australia. None of the crew were saved, despite the ship radioing its position and the RAAF sending two flying boats to look for survivors; it was later deduced that the ship had suffered a vapour explosion soon after being torpedoed. A replacement - the 'RFA Gannet' - was soon acquired, the British and Australian Governments then looking into stationing long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft, notably modified US B-17 bombers, on tiny Kerguelen.

The solution was modified Lockheed Hudson bombers with minimal armament, extra fuel tanks, two 500-lbs depth charges, a Leigh Light and improved ASW radar for detecting surfaced U-boats; this cheap expedient actually worked, flying from RAAF Kerguelen and bases in South Africa and Australia. They were responsible for detecting and tracking seven enemy submarines, sinking two of them, but had a far greater influence in deterring attacks on shipping between South Africa and Australia. The 'big hop' to Australia was covered by aircraft from RAAF Pearce near Perth that timed their arrival to overlap with cover from Kerguelen-based aircraft. Their most crucial task was to locate and track a suspicious vessel that turned out to be the German raider Kormoran, intercepted and sunk after a stiff fight by HMAS Sydney. Kormoran managed to damage the light cruiser with shellfire, the cruiser rescuing surviving Germans before making for Perth for repairs.

"If that verdammt plane had not tracked us, we would have ambushed that cruiser." One of the surviving officers admitted.

The people on Kerguelen had settled back into their productive existence, the Germans in Scheerstadt accepted if not liked, as they came up with new ideas to help with survival in the harsh environment of the Kerguelens and experimented with new crops such as quinoa, buckwheat and rye. The Governor considered them as 'trusties' and essentially harmless, but warned Krancke that a repetition of the U-boat officer's visit would mean transfer to a POW camp in Western Australia.

"...Which we both need like a bullet in the head." Lieutenant-Colonel Galway pointed out. "Or do your men want to leave our windswept islands?"

"For Germany, but not for a prison." The Kapitan zur See admitted. "Here there is a peace - of sorts." He liked Galway enough to say something else to him. "We want to start an orchestra, ready for Christmas. Music is good."

"I will see what can be arranged." The Governor said. "We have pianos, a brass band, two guitarists and four accordions. We will have to beg others for more instruments - or make them." He and Krancke exchanged looks: between them, they would somehow assemble an orchestra by Christmas. The Settlement needed winter entertainment and live music would be a help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post # 69 is complete...

...At last! Delayed by rotten Wi-Fi on a caravan site and then by changeover to a new service provider. Apologies.

Ideas needed to continue this with.

I was looking at a map of Kerguelen and one thing I found interesting was the great glacier in the western part of the island. It's on the top of a high mountain(of course) and around it, there's river valleys, where the water is lead away. Kerguelen have mostly win from the west. So the valley on the east side may lay in a enough wind shadow, that it's possible for trees to grow in those valleys. This could give some managed woods, which would limit the need for timber.

Welcome, Jurgen...

Thank you. I need the crew of the 'Scheer' to come up with new ideas. What tree species will be hardy enough? The climate can be ferocious.

Thank you. I need the crew of the 'Scheer' to come up with new ideas. What tree species will be hardy enough? The climate can be ferocious.

Whatever grows on Iceland/southern Greenland should grow on Kerguelen if in a wind shadow. There's also the idea of using species from Patagonia, which often grow into "flag trees" thanks to the wind. Drimys winteri seems particularly interesting, and it should work since it has been transplanted to the Faroes. The bark is high in vitamin C (it was used in scurvy cures), and can also even be used as a spice (and has been used as such), since it has the same compound that gives Australian peppers of genus Tasmannia their unique lingering heat. Yeah, nobody's going to be using Kerguelen as a spice island anytime soon, but it could be a pleasant mixture into a scurvy cure that might develop. Presumably Kerguelen cabbage soup spiced with Drimys winteri, add in mutton when needed. Probably tastes interesting. The amount of Drimys winteri that can be cultivated on Kerguelen is limited thanks to topography and climate, but for knock-on effects, might get similar things in use in other desolate parts of the world (like Tierra del Fuego, where Europeans first used the tree).

Sadly, Drimys winteri makes for horrible timber (but good furniture making, evidently), but there are other trees which can be transplanted that should work for that.

Kerguelen seems to be invariably colder than Iceland but warmer than Greenland. The climate of Port-aux-Français is slightly better than that of Nanortalik: the former is 2 degrees warmer in the summer and 5 degrees warmer in the winter.

Therefore all trees that can be grown in Nanortalik can be grown in Kerguelen. Some possibilities are Salix glauca and Betula pubescens.

That birch seems to be interesting. You can make a mead out of it, plus bread, tea, and plenty of other stuff. There really does seem to be plenty of potentials for trees--I still like Drimys winteri--sadly only limited by the lack of space that would be good for silviculture.

The Desolation Islands don't seem the best of places to settle. In fact, it would probably be too far out of the way from any land or other islands to be discovered except by accident. Maybe around the time of steam, though by then they would be traveling different routes, without being blown off course by the trade winds. Maybe if the French get a portion of Australia so they need a way station? Might be decent as a stop for whalers. And I am wondering about the storyline above, as it is midway through the 20th century instead of before it.

I'm going to reinvigorate this thread with another question on a similar line, since we're talking French Antarctic Islands here--what about colonisation of Île Amsterdam or Île Saint Paul? Both islands are actually even more suited to colonisation than Kerguelen is because of a milder climate. All have similar stories of ill-fated colonisation, but I bring back the point of Tristan da Cunha and Ascension. For those islands, there's an even more interesting idea--what if a modernised Madagascar lays claim to them (as Mauritius has OTL)? Granted, this Madagascar wouldn't so much Meiji Japan as it would Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram's Thailand, but it is yet another island group which has interesting potential. And speaking of Mauritius, I suspect Mauritius if they got them OTL might actually try and settle them to keep their claim alive, and because of political reasons, make damn sure the colony works. Economy-wise, it's similar to Tristan da Cunha--fishery based on the spiny lobster, with the added potential of raising sheep.

The Desolation Islands don't seem the best of places to settle. In fact, it would probably be too far out of the way from any land or other islands to be discovered except by accident. Maybe around the time of steam, though by then they would be traveling different routes, without being blown off course by the trade winds. Maybe if the French get a portion of Australia so they need a way station? Might be decent as a stop for whalers. And I am wondering about the storyline above, as it is midway through the 20th century instead of before it.

A lot of islands were discovered by accidents. I agree that Western Australian colonisation seems like a ticket to making Kerguelen a good way station, but even without it, well, lots of shipwrecks and castaways occurred there (as well as the Crozet Islands). And Kerguelen appears to have a unique potential more than just rescueing castaways.

The story seems to have latched on, but it's fun stuff anyway.

Clandango...

I did write a post outlining the background of the settlement of Kerguelen. Did you read it? Only afterwards did I consider military activities, with the OP's permission.

I suggest that Kerguelen cannot generate many butterflies - although no 'Scheer' does make 'Weserubung' slightly harder. I may write about that, unless metalinvader would do it...?

Last edited by a moderator: