Christian Ghana Empire

ben0628

Banned
Is it possible for the Ghana Empire to convert to Christianity? If so, would it survive the spread of Islam in the coming years?

Theoretically missionaries could have been sent to Ghana before the Muslim conquests. At the same time, this likely could only have been done after the camel made trans-Saharan trade possible. However, between these two dates the Christian church in the western Mediterranean was dealing with issues related to the fall of the Western Roman Empire, many theological disputes, and the contending barbarian kingdoms and Byzantium. This is not ideal for a prolonged missionary effort that could lead to the conversion of Ghana.

So while it may be possible, it is probably on the low end of probability.

Survival is uncertain once Islam conquers the Maghreb. Ethiopia had several centuries of Christianity that embedded itself with the people and elites before Islam arrived. Ghana likely won't have such a long period for the religion to establish itself. Since there won't be any ongoing contact with the rest of Christendom, Christian dominance or even survival is really going to depend on the native elites. On the other hands, the Sahara will prevent any real attempts at conquest so the potential for the spread of Islam is limited to trading. However, given the culture of the times, a common religion that creates conditions for trust is essential for a lot of trade. So I can't see Islam being kept out. Most likely, there is a slow spread of Islam over the centuries that might even lead to a unique blend of Christian and Muslim tolerance in Ghana, or create the conditions where eventually the elite defect to the religion of their major trading partners.

If however, the Ghanese Christians can make ongoing contact with the Papacy and other Christian powers, then it may reinforce their Christian identity. If these contacts somehow leads to situation where Christian Europe reconquers modern Tunisia and parts of Algeria and Libya, then it will lead to trade between Christian powers across the Sahara. Most likely time for this would be during Norman Sicily which at one point controlled parts of the Tunisian coast. If the presence of Christian Ghana caused this to become a full blown crusade or reconquista, then part of northwest Africa returns to Christendom. At that point, the survival of Christianity in Ghana is strengthened very much. If that doesn't happen, I think most likely Christianity erodes into a minority religion in West Africa by the time Europeans recontact the lands during the Age of Exploration.

As Blackfox5 said, it would be possible. Although the Trans-Saharan trade actually began between West Africa and Carthage, I don't believe it was as well developed as it would be during later eras (the introduction of the camel really allowed the trade to prosper as they traveled the Sahara better than horses). Also, the Christian community in North Africa was heavily centered in urban areas and there wasn't much effort to spread it to the countryside, let alone across the Sahara Desert.

Now, that being said, it certainly isn't impossible. What if the conquest of North Africa by the Vandals encouraged some Orthodox refugees to seek sanctuary to the South. They make the long, hard, trek, to reach Ghana where they convert the nobility. Christianity would be the prestige religion of the area and time, and I could see it becoming entrenched in that case.

Or, even better, is there any way to get the Camel introduced earlier? This would allow for a more vibrant Trans-Saharan trade; Christianity would still become the prestige religion, and Ghana could hire Christian scribes to help run their administration (as Mali would later do with Muslim scribes) which would help the Christian faith spread through the nobility of the Kingdom.

Maybe if some of the Donatists ( or possibly other heresies ) escape southwards to escape persecution ? Trade routes between West and North Africa existed so this might happen, and they would have a few centuries to solidify like in Ethiopia, though the butterfly effect might mean no Islam thus no huge challenge to Christianity in the region.

The reasons were already mentioned and gone over (North African Christianity being a mess and poorly established where it would need to be--Mauretania, the late introduction of the camel and the fact trans-Sahara trade was in its infancy, etc.), but I think the best is definitely getting camels introduced earlier and trans-Saharan routes more established. That, and have the Romans conquer deeper into Mauretania. While it isn't exactly the best of land, it also isn't terrible land, either, and I think its doable for the Romans to at least nominally subjugate most of modern-day Morocco, and establish firmer control over far more of the region than they did OTL. More military colonies could be established too in Mauretania, especially Mauretania Tingitana. If Mauretania is an integral part of the Empire, then its far more likely Christianity will spread on the trans-Sahara routes and convert Ghana.

Since this would be happening early on (the late empire won't do it, they'll only reconquer it if its lost and even then I wouldn't be sure), you'd probably butterfly Islam, leaving Christianity in control of the Mediterranean. I think the common way of converting a kingdom--the whole "saint(s) go in and convert the king" stories--is unlikely to occur in West Africa based on West African traditional religion. There's no way they'd be submitting to any spiritual authority since the king himself was basically a god (incidentally, that is a reason why the kings took a long time to convert to Islam). Caesaropapism is always a way around that, but also intriguing is maybe get the king to simultaneously be the head of the church in his region--"king-archbishop", "king-patriarch", or something, and obviously with no concept of clerical celibacy. It goes against traditional Christianity, but African Christianity is hardly likely to be traditional.

One idea I was toying with if you get Donatist or other heretics crossing the Sahara is the proliferation of the Tifinagh alphabet. It's a long shot, granted, but since the alphabet was in use until the 3rd century AD, and mainly amongst Berbers and Punic speakers (who seem to have been disproportionately represented in heretical sects), they could cross the Sahara and note the Tuareg use of the script (and hopefully convert a tribe or two of Tuareg. From there, they use it to write down the languages of the sub-Saharan African peoples. Why Tifinagh and not Latin? I'm not sure--but since Berber and Punic are both Afroasiatic languages, wouldn't Tifinagh be a better choice for writing a language like Hausa or another Chadic language? Granted, that would only be for the Hausa states and no one else, but if the Hausa become the first literate sub-Saharan African society, then that might make help spread the language. I know realistically Latin is more likely to be used if any sub-Saharan African languages are to be written down, but a potential Tifinagh connection is too good to pass up. A Bible translation made by these heretics into Punic (somewhat surprising one never existed OTL) would be interesting too, in getting Punic used as a language of administration in West Africa (though Punic had been written in the Latin alphabet since not long after the Roman conquest).

Maybe if some of the Donatists ( or possibly other heresies ) escape southwards to escape persecution ? Trade routes between West and North Africa existed so this might happen, and they would have a few centuries to solidify like in Ethiopia, though the butterfly effect might mean no Islam thus no huge challenge to Christianity in the region.

It wouldn't be in Ghana, though, since Ghana was linked to Mauretania/Morocco by the Trans-Saharan routes. The most immediate from Donatist strongholds in North Africa would be near where Kanem-Bornu and the Hausa states would emerge. But it isn't totally out of the question that North African Christians would flee--and we know that indigenous Christianity in North Africa lasted until the 13th century and possibly even later.

I don't think Christian refugees would really work, at least not in converting the ruling classes. They have no prestige attached to their religion and they have no connections with the outside world (a Christian North Africa is absolutely necessary for Ghana or other sub-Saharan Africans to convert). They'd have extreme difficulty convincing the ruling class to convert, when that was driven by pragmatic reasons. The countryside would also likely not convert in any significant numbers.

The reasons were already mentioned and gone over (North African Christianity being a mess and poorly established where it would need to be--Mauretania, the late introduction of the camel and the fact trans-Sahara trade was in its infancy, etc.), but I think the best is definitely getting camels introduced earlier and trans-Saharan routes more established. That, and have the Romans conquer deeper into Mauretania. While it isn't exactly the best of land, it also isn't terrible land, either, and I think its doable for the Romans to at least nominally subjugate most of modern-day Morocco, and establish firmer control over far more of the region than they did OTL. More military colonies could be established too in Mauretania, especially Mauretania Tingitana. If Mauretania is an integral part of the Empire, then its far more likely Christianity will spread on the trans-Sahara routes and convert Ghana.

Since this would be happening early on (the late empire won't do it, they'll only reconquer it if its lost and even then I wouldn't be sure), you'd probably butterfly Islam, leaving Christianity in control of the Mediterranean. I think the common way of converting a kingdom--the whole "saint(s) go in and convert the king" stories--is unlikely to occur in West Africa based on West African traditional religion. There's no way they'd be submitting to any spiritual authority since the king himself was basically a god (incidentally, that is a reason why the kings took a long time to convert to Islam). Caesaropapism is always a way around that, but also intriguing is maybe get the king to simultaneously be the head of the church in his region--"king-archbishop", "king-patriarch", or something, and obviously with no concept of clerical celibacy. It goes against traditional Christianity, but African Christianity is hardly likely to be traditional.

These are really interesting points. I'm glad I was somewhat right about the camels as I have only recently started studying the region. As for an Bishop-King; it certainly worked for the Irish (as did not having clerical celibacy, save for monks and hermits), so I can't see why it couldn't take root in West Africa either. By the way, do you have any good sources about West Africa during Lake Antiquity and the faiths of the region? I've been thinking about including a bit about them in my Amalingian Empire timeline (the Vandals still control North Africa and I also mentioned the recent introduction of the camel, so it only stands to reason they will be the main players in the Trans-Saharan trade network).

Also, how would we get the camel into North Africa at an earlier date than in OTL?

These are really interesting points. I'm glad I was somewhat right about the camels as I have only recently started studying the region. As for an Bishop-King; it certainly worked for the Irish (as did not having clerical celibacy, save for monks and hermits), so I can't see why it couldn't take root in West Africa either. By the way, do you have any good sources about West Africa during Lake Antiquity and the faiths of the region? I've been thinking about including a bit about them in my Amalingian Empire timeline (the Vandals still control North Africa and I also mentioned the recent introduction of the camel, so it only stands to reason they will be the main players in the Trans-Saharan trade network).

Also, how would we get the camel into North Africa at an earlier date than in OTL?

That I have no clue. I'm mostly piecing together what I know of late 1st millennium West Africa and Late Antiquity North Africa. Looking at what I've got, I've got The Archaeology of Islam in Sub-Saharan Africa, which doesn't give much on the pre-Islamic period but gives plenty on Gao, and others (Djenne). It does establish that Rome wasn't involved except indirectly and by means of the Berbers. That suggests that there might have been Christians in West Africa, but it would be maybe one or two Berber guys who knew of it and might've nominally followed it, who were most certainly not that far from home to talk theology or preach.

Camels seem difficult. It's odd they weren't ever used extensively in North Africa prior to Islam, despite the fact they were known there and used to a certain degree. I know one source analysing Roman-era inscriptions in I believe a military camp in Tripolitania mentioned camels a merchant had (4th century), and I don't think it was in a positive context--might've been some soldier complaining about them IIRC. My thought was get the Arabs stronger? And get the Arab tribes which used camels more than others to dominance in the Arab confederacies. That's my thought, I don't know how based in actual history it is, I'm just infering from what I know. Also, Hellenisation of the Hejaz (Alexander takes it, perhaps) could make the region more incorporated into the Greco-Roman world, but you'll probably butterfly Christianity in the process. I don't see Rome conquering Hejaz either, but I guess if Alexander could in theory, nothing is stopping the late Republic or early Empire from in theory doing so either.

Who might this Irish king-bishop be, by any chance? I was aware of the very strong temporal power of the church there, but...

Who might this Irish king-bishop be, by any chance? I was aware of the very strong temporal power of the church there, but...

More like 'king-bishops'. The important thing to remember about Ireland is that there was rarely a single King who could make his influence felt across the entire Island. There was a position of "High King" (Ard Ri), but it was a largely ceremonial and powerless one. Instead, Ireland was divided into a number of small micro-states, each one led by a King (Ri). Sometimes these kings served the slightly more powerful and prestigious Kings of the traditional provinces (Meath, Ulster, Connaught, etc) and sometimes not. Since the Irish church did not ban its priests from marrying, nor did it prevent them from holding other positions, certain church duties became hereditary within families and were often tied to political titles. Not sure how common it was, but there were certainly Ri who also served as bishops of the church as well.

More like 'king-bishops'. The important thing to remember about Ireland is that there was rarely a single King who could make his influence felt across the entire Island. There was a position of "High King" (Ard Ri), but it was a largely ceremonial and powerless one. Instead, Ireland was divided into a number of small micro-states, each one led by a King (Ri). Sometimes these kings served the slightly more powerful and prestigious Kings of the traditional provinces (Meath, Ulster, Connaught, etc) and sometimes not. Since the Irish church did not ban its priests from marrying, nor did it prevent them from holding other positions, certain church duties became hereditary within families and were often tied to political titles. Not sure how common it was, but there were certainly Ri who also served as bishops of the church as well.

Do you know of any noteworthy names who served as king-bishops? Could be an interesting to examine it to use to apply to how a West African theocratic monarchy might work.

How was it a mess? I'm curious - I'm not very familiar with North African history from this time period.

The Donatist schism is attributed to having wrecked the church and made it internally fragile. And then there were other prominent heretics active--Pelagius was active for a while there, lots of Manichaeans (St. Augustine famously being one at one point), the Vandals brought Arianism, etc. From what I get it, I don't know how correct I am in this, a lot also has something to do with social tensions there. Some historians suggest it's part of the reason why North Africa converted to Islam much quicker than other Arabised regions and left no surviving Christian communities from Antiquity.

Do you know of any noteworthy names who served as king-bishops? Could be an interesting to examine it to use to apply to how a West African theocratic monarchy might work.

Sure. A quick look produces Comac mac Cuilennain who was King of Munster and a Bishop (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormac_mac_Cuilennáin)

You might also want to track down the book "Early Christian Ireland" by T. M. Charles-Edwards which I just found on Google, and which I now badly want to read :)