TBH I think it's really weird that California, Vermont, Michigan, and New York didn't vote democrat when you have two conservative parties splitting the conservative vote.

The GOP is actually less conservative than in IOTL. And these states are even more Republican than usual. In California, Reagan was governor for 5 terms. In Michigan much of the state is controlled by the Romney family, in New York the new Governor Rockefeller is very popular.

Nebraska CD-2
Nebraska CD-2

-We are currently tracking the count of last votes in Nebraska's 2nd District. Former Senator George Bush still holds a small advantage, but the number of votes remaining is enough to reverse this 1 electoral vote to Congressman Pat Schroeder and therefore hand him the presidency.

There were large numbers of journalists in the two districts who were still counting the votes. While Maine was the tightest, Nebraska would be the first to give a result.

President Donald Trump had traveled to Maine while Schroeder and Bush were waiting for the result in Nebraska. The whole country was anxious and afraid of the future. Regardless of the outcome, recounts would be required in several states.

- Attention, attention to all. Let's go live now. The final result will be released in seconds.

The whole country was staring at the television. Is Pat Schroeder the next president? Or would the fight drag on between Trump and Bush?

-BREAKING NEWS !!! The country is still without a president. The 2nd District of Nebraska has just been called to George Bush. And right now there is no mathematical way for Pat Schroeder to become president. At this moment the three candidates have 179 electoral votes.

All the attention of the country then turned to Maine.

Pat Schroeder
Pat Schroeder

- I just received the information that I have no more chances of being elected President.

The audience booed and some began to cry.

- But this walk does not end here! I believed in a future, I believed in a better world, I believed that I was the right person for this, I believed that I would be the first woman President of the United States of America. And you want to know something? I still believe faithfully in all these things! I believe!

The audience applauded cheerfully.

- We got through, we broke the glass ceiling. We've made history, but we'll do even more. I believe that this country is ready and I believe that this country needs a capable government. I want to thank all those who accompanied me on this journey. I want to thank Joe! Joe, you're wonderful, the best vice I could ever want.

The audience applauded and cheered screaming Joe! Joe! Joe!

- And above all, I want to thank you. To all of you who believed and voted for me.

At this moment Pat Schroeder began to cry.

ap870928069-ea3a66830f085b8676bc100a2887e5fa4ab74533-s500-c85.jpg

- I will fight for you! This battle is not over! We're going to demand recounting in Nebraska, we're going to demand a recount in Missouri, recount in Iowa, recount anywhere we might have won. I believe! I believe that on January 20, 1993, I will be entering the White House! God bless the America! God Bless us all! I believe!

Theorically if there is one elector to be won and Schroeder, Bush and Trump are all at 179, why Schroeder has matematically lost?

The last vote is the 2nd District of Maine, and Trump has a 4 vote advantage over Bush. Schroeder is back enough that even if all the remaining votes were for her, she would not win.