British Indonesia

Faeelin

Banned
The White Australia policy? Or are you talking about earlier than that?

I was tlaking about the White Australia policy.

My question is, why would Indonesians and so forth be allowed to settle in Australia when they couldn't OTL?

I was tlaking about the White Australia policy.

My question is, why would Indonesians and so forth be allowed to settle in Australia when they couldn't OTL?

I thought that whoever brought it up was positing that with the British occupying the whole of the East Indies, Northern Australia might actually be seen as viable plantation land as opposed to an isolated coast on the edge of Dutch territory. If this was the case, the settlement of Australia might be carried out in two seperate processes- the first being the trickle of whites to temperate South Australia and the second being the planters and their hordes of servants, coolies and labourers in tropical North Australia.

Thus, Australia probably wouldn't be seen as a single unit in TTL. It would be North Australia and South Australia, two seperate regions divided by howling desert.

I thought that whoever brought it up was positing that with the British occupying the whole of the East Indies, Northern Australia might actually be seen as viable plantation land as opposed to an isolated coast on the edge of Dutch territory. If this was the case, the settlement of Australia might be carried out in two seperate processes- the first being the trickle of whites to temperate South Australia and the second being the planters and their hordes of servants, coolies and labourers in tropical North Australia.

Thus, Australia probably wouldn't be seen as a single unit in TTL. It would be North Australia and South Australia, two seperate regions divided by howling desert.

How abut one being called Arnhemland, and the other, New South Wales?

You're probably right, come to think of it. The Malays, being the indigenous population, were generally left to their precolonial occupations in non-plantation agriculture and fishing.

Thus, Northern Australia might well have a mostly Chinese and Indian population.

Flocc & Faeelin, otl that WAS the case in the NT, until a few yrs after 1900 the Chinese & Aboriginal pop DID outnumber the Europeans up in the Top End before the WAP started to take effect. Heck, in the NT today there are still many Aboriginal families who have Chinese blood too due to the orig Chinese settlers marrying into the local indigenous tribes- with surnames begininning with 'Ah'- like the Ahmats, Ahkits, Ah-chees, Ah-wongs etc. I went to school with a fair few of em, real wonderful ppl.

Flocc & Faeelin, otl that WAS the case in the NT, until a few yrs after 1900 the Chinese & Aboriginal pop DID outnumber the Europeans up in the Top End before the WAP started to take effect. Heck, in the NT today there are still many Aboriginal families who have Chinese blood too due to the orig Chinese settlers marrying into the local indigenous tribes- with surnames begininning with 'Ah'- like the Ahmats, Ahkits, Ah-chees, Ah-wongs etc. I went to school with a fair few of em, real wonderful ppl.

Interesting. And in TTL with Arnhemland (Northern Australia) being administered from Singapore by the Governor-General of the East Indies this state of affairs will presumably be intensified.

Interesting. And in TTL with Arnhemland (Northern Australia) being administered from Singapore by the Governor-General of the East Indies this state of affairs will presumably be intensified.

Ought New South Wales and New Zealand be united then as well?

Prospective map of state divisions for USEI

USEI.PNG

Some changes, if I can...

I see you've added Mindanao- how would that work out?

Had the Spanish already claimed it in the early 19th C? Or are we positing a colonial conflict between Spain and the UK leading to Mindanao being seized.

Perhaps Britain gives more open support to the breakaway S. American Spanish colonies, leading to a declaration of war by Spain. A short sharp struggle later, the British occupy Manila. At the peace table the Spanish gain back most of the Philippines but are forced to cede Mindanao.

I really like what you guys are doing here. Western Australia wasn't settled til the 1820s in OTL, and before that was notionally Dutch, as New Holland (if my memory serves me right); it's on the other side of the continent from NSW, and is separated by a vast desert.

When the Brits annex the Dutch East Indies, could WA get incorporated as part of Arnhemland as well? As it is, drawing a line randomly through the continent seems a bit vague.

This means, essentially, that NSW is just OTL's NSW, VIC, and southern QLD, but that's pretty much the only bits of the country (bar a small part of WA) that are hospitable to European agriculture. Meanwhile, WA is incorporated as part of the USEI.

OK, I admit it, I'm ever so slightly motivated by creating the largest polity humanly possible.

They didn't want the Maoris to get fucked by the White Australia policy.

Well...ish. They weren't exactly masters of charity, either.

It's basically the 'tyranny of distance'; there's two thousand miles of stormy sea between us and the Kiwis, and we had decades of divergent cultural evolution. If Federation were today, it'd be silly not to include them, but the distance factor was probably enough to queer the deal.

Then again, there's an even bigger, even less hospitable gap between us and the habitable bits of WA-but don't tell them!

Two proposed flags

The first is based on the OTL flag of the Federated Malay States. I decided to switch some of the colours around and add a Union Jack.

USEI flag.PNG

The second is simply the flag of OTL's Straits Settlements. The three crowns presumably represent Singapore, Penang and Malacca but I suppose in TTL we could modify the symbolism and say that the three crowns represent the Malay Peninsula, the Archipelago and Arnhemland, the three geographical subregions of the USEI.

Straits_settlements.PNG

USEI flag.PNG