Britannic Unity/Naval Strength

GdwnsnHo

Banned
Hey everyone, figured rather than my other (rather huge) question I figured I'd make my first thread somewhat less huge.

Three questions

1) What would be required in order to provide some sort of Britannic Hegemon/Conqueror to unite at least the England/Wales areas if not also Caledonia?

2) Assuming 1) is possible, what else would be needed to enable them to develop ship technology equal to the med empires, but better suited to atlantic waters.

3) Assuming 2), what would the potential effects be if this happened using a POD between Philip defeating Bardylis, and the Punic Wars?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'm going to be out of period, but it can be noted that Julius Caesar's invasion and subsequent withdrawal from Britain led to the rise of the Catuvellauni to dominant status. THIS is what is needed to start this, that someone would have Vercingetorix status within Britain, unifying the tribes under his control and able to exert power and insist upon building plans in areas not controlled directly by his own tribal powerbase.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

GdwnsnHo

Banned
Hey, Greywolf, thanks.

I've been trying to figure out the core parts to make this work, and I'm drawn to Coal, Iron, and the Development of the Longships.

Essentially there is two real areas I can see this working. Wales, or near the Humber. I'm not sure which would be better, but I'm closer to a POD. I think.

1) Coal -> Key is that around the Humber region and Wales there is a lot of coal (plenty of which is outcrop coal, so easier to access).

This could then be traded down towards the tin mines/trade posts that were being used in the middle/late bronze age. This would generate wealth/power, and eventually enable the import of ...

2) IRON! -> Iron is crucial for three things, the development of a plow suitable for the british isles, weapons and armour for a stronger soldiery, and metal fasteners for ships -> essential for developing ships that would be cousins of OTL longships.

3) Well, Longships. Similar to sewn ships (apparently)... without metal fasteners they wouldn't be plausible. If they were developed, or proto-longships at least, you'd have the beginnings of a solid ship design for trade, and interest in development of the design, especially if they interact with the Cartheginians/Romans.

So my question is now...

1) Wales or the Humber, which is more likely? Both have the resources, but the Humber region has the evidence of sewnships, whereas wales is closer to the trade.

2) What would be more likely to emerge in these regions? A Republic or a Tyranny? (I lean towards a Republic) -> and would they be based on continued coal? agriculuture? trade? fisheries?

Thanks again :D