Anyone here read Orion's Arm?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Arcvalons, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Arcvalons Just me.

http://www.orionsarm.com

Orions Arm is a huge and "hard sci-fi" setting, compiled collectively by several people in their forums. It covers the next ten thousand years of future history, but the Singularity happened very early into that timeline. So in the year twelve-thousand there are literally thousands of human-derived species, which include humans with biological and mechanical augmentations, "uplifted" animals, sentient machines (called vecs in-universe, and which may vary in shape from humanoid to buildings or ships, all with full sentient rights and all that), and many more, though most of them are ruled by godlike AI or sentients augmented to godlike proportions. They have even published books and stories set in this universe.

2. Count of Crisco Pithy remark here.

Never heard of it, though I want to read more when I have time.

3. Max Sinister Retired Myriad Club Member

Went there, read a few articles, years ago, but can't remember much. It's a very interesting site, though.

4. Tsochar Well-Known Member

I used to be really into it from around 2007-2009. I'm actually the original writer of the OA page on TVTropes. Eventually, though, I got tired of it. As hard sci-fi, it's pretty good, but as a narrative setting, it leaves something to be desired. The setting mostly exists as disparate pieces that interact but don't really come together into a cohesive whole. The setting is intended to be so big that anything and everything allowed by physics exists in it, which prevents it from establishing a tone. Additionally, the existence of the archai makes the activities of any human-level characters essentially meaningless in the grand scale of things, which isn't a good thing in a space opera.

5. Divergent54 Boris Johnson x Nigel Farage xoxo

To me, I use it as a tool for hard science fiction. I don't really care much about the need to create a space opera or some other Star Trek-related stuff. I prefer actual hard science.