Angloregnum

St George didn't become popular here IOTL until the Crusades, and even though England might still have particpated in those there are butterflies to consider... and the "arms of Edmund Ironside", like all of the arms attributed to other pre-conquest Kings (back to Arthur, and beyond), are actually a later Medieval invention and would even more probably be butterflied out of existence by an English victory at Hastings.

A design based on the gold dragon of Wessex and/or the white dragon that some Welsh sources (at least) attributed to the English and that perhaps might have had a basis in Anglo-Saxon imagery, seems more likely to me.

Check the flag that I designed for the fictional nation (originating in a non-OTL group of islands some distance out to the west of Ireland, that were colonised by English refugees after a 1066 defeat) of Godwinnia.

Last edited:
Wasnt the ST George flag a flag of convience? IIRC it was the Genoese flag adopted by the British crusaders to have less hassle in the mediterranean?

Wasnt the ST George flag a flag of convience? IIRC it was the Genoese flag adopted by the British crusaders to have less hassle in the mediterranean?
That could have been the case.
At one stage, I think during the 3rd Crusade, different crosses were chosen to differentiate the main nationalities involved. St George's cross then was for the French, probably including any contingents from the Plantagenets' continental fiefs, whilst the English wore the cross of St Thomas (a Beckett) -- which was green, on a white background -- instead. I forget what was chosen for the Germans.
Of course, though, an English victory at Hastings would butterfly-away the existence of St Thomas as well.

thanks for the replies to the thread re st george flag and Angloregnum
I was thinking of the flag as more like a Scandinavian cross an english Danneborg with the same divine origin tale
I agree our st george is the flag of genoa first and foremost and the saxon saint is saint Edmund but who is to say that Angloregnum might not have been on crusade as did some scandinavian and brought their own flag back to replace the white dragon as two competing earloman houses dragon and st george sought to control Angloregnum

ideally i would have no wessex southern symbols in Angloregnum and see this flag eventually replaced by a Mercian saltaire

That could have been the case.
At one stage, I think during the 3rd Crusade, different crosses were chosen to differentiate the main nationalities involved. St George's cross then was for the French, probably including any contingents from the Plantagenets' continental fiefs, whilst the English wore the cross of St Thomas (a Beckett) -- which was green, on a white background -- instead. I forget what was chosen for the Germans.
Of course, though, an English victory at Hastings would butterfly-away the existence of St Thomas as well.

Actually the English had a white cross usually on red, while the Flemish had the green on white.

thanks for the replies to the thread re st george flag and Angloregnum
I was thinking of the flag as more like a Scandinavian cross an english Danneborg with the same divine origin tale
I agree our st george is the flag of genoa first and foremost and the saxon saint is saint Edmund but who is to say that Angloregnum might not have been on crusade as did some scandinavian and brought their own flag back to replace the white dragon as two competing earloman houses dragon and st george sought to control Angloregnum

ideally i would have no wessex southern symbols in Angloregnum and see this flag eventually replaced by a Mercian saltaire

The Mercian Golden Saltire on Blue seems more likely to come to represent England.

re angloregnum the st George flag is as you can see on my blog is a white cross on a blue background an hellenic variation probably brought back by a English Prince from his Varangian service and which fell miraculously from heaven saving his army at Manzikert
in an alternative history A united kingdom flag would be white on blue white English cross and Scottish saltaire on blue background this would be from a marital union of Margaret grand daughter of Alexander III and the English King Eadgar IV
alternatively Margaret could have married the more powerful king of Clwyd or his ally the King of Kernow
will look at this more detail on my blog with ideas for flags