An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

nope, it shouldn't. the title king of bavaria is a napoleonic creation. before 1806 bavaria was a duchy. and afaik there hasn't yet been an equivalent title creation ittl.
I didn't know that, thank you.

@Basileus444: how likely is it for the German Emperor to send an army (which is what'd be needed to dislodge the Romans) to Hungary? His realm is just out of a civil war and the belligerent Triunes are still there.

He'd have tons of mercenaries to spare now, but those would be rather piecemeal help against the Romans I feel.

Last edited:
No way Iskander drags his whole army back West with the riches of India beckoning. At most he'll extort another sum out of the Romans, which they probably can afford now with them ransacking Hungary. If Germany really does intervene I expect that Wallachia will be extra motivated to throw more men in the war, especially if they're given Transylvania, it's going to be tough to dislodge the Orthodox.

What terms were offered to the Hungarians? Given the state of things tearing off Croatia (To Rhomania), Bosnia (To Serbia), and Transylvanian (To Wallachia) seems like good deal, especially if the Ottomans renew the peace, surely they're running low on manpower now? I don't see a weakened and exhausted Germany standing up to a similarly tired Roman Empire + Wallachia + Serbia.

Honestly, I think that the Romans might have an interesting opportunity here. Take Croatia/Bosnia/Transylvania to Rhomania/Serbia/Vlachia in turn, but also give up on reparations, in exchange for two seats on a regency council with the new King. 1 for the Patriarch, and 1 with a Roman General, to steer Roman interests under the guise of helping to protect Hungary.

The remainder can be Hungarian.

Honestly, I think that the Romans might have an interesting opportunity here. Take Croatia/Bosnia/Transylvania to Rhomania/Serbia/Vlachia in turn, but also give up on reparations, in exchange for two seats on a regency council with the new King. 1 for the Patriarch, and 1 with a Roman General, to steer Roman interests under the guise of helping to protect Hungary.

The remainder can be Hungarian.

This is a bit to harsh...

This is a bit to harsh...

It is harsh, but with the Hungarian Army in disarray/crushed - and Romans occupying most of Hungary by the end of the war, it could be traded with "Roman forces under the regent will protect Hungary, paid for by the Romans until such time as the Hungarian Army replaces them". The key would be selling the idea to the Hungarians, but being safe from invasion from other quarters isn't a bad trade - especially if it practically guarantees security from the Romans and their allies. This basically leaves the Romans with a massive buffer in Vlachia and Hungary, with their only common border being in Croatia. Hungary in the position where it can rebuild without having to pay for an army or war reparations (despite starting the war), if drastically neutered. It leaves Germany with a buffer because the Hungarians/Romans aren't about to invade Germany, not with the difficulties of occupying Hungary - and the end of the truce with Iskander. The exact details of the withdrawal might be fiddley, but it isn't a complete annexation which well, the Romans COULD risk doing.

I'd say compared to not being a country any more, these terms are pretty good.

If the Romans are clever, they will pillage the country and pull out as quickly as possible! before the Germans get into action.
Th Voivode of Transylvania might have a strong position but he could not stand a chance against both Romans and the Vlachs, especially if the latest ones might play the card of etnic uprising and social

An ATL version of the battle of Mohacs, mmmmh..... the OTL version spelled the end of Hungary. While the romans probably don't want that, they probably have done it. Too successful this offensive, Hungary is too weak now to be an effective buffer, the Germans in exchange for any kind of help will get at least Austria and the rest will fall under their influence (at best).

This much success will also hamper negotiations: given that the romans are sitting on the freaking enemy capital how can they soften in any way their demands? they will make even bigger ones.... the Hungarians may never want to come to a deal and military occupation is a bitch. Andrew's death is a nightmare for the Romans.

I'm curious to know how the Lumbards are faring. They were already in Friuli in the previous campaign... how loyal are the Croats? right now they could at least push for equal status (like a kingdom of Hungary-Croatia, too weak to be an "empire").

I agree that Iskandar won't do a thing, India is too alluring.

I assume the worst case scenario for Hungary is a partition between Germany, Lombardy, and Rhomania and client states thereof.

I doubt the Germans would want Hungary to retain Austria, or remain particularly big; it is an Imperial rival after all, one that has coveted the Holy Roman Empire for centuries. The Romans don't want land that they can't properly integrate, so Dalmatia and its forests is the only thing they'd want. Lombards are expansionistic, Vlachs want to unite all Vlach lands, Serbia wants independence and is supported by Constantinople.

-Loss of Slovenia and parts of Croatia to the Lombards
-Loss of Austria to Bavaria
-Loss of Dalmatia to the Romans
-Loss of Serbia and Bosnia to the Serbs
-Loss of Transylvania to Vlachia

After that Hungary will only have Hungary proper and some sliver of Croatia left, and that's a middling secondary power at best. What a quick fall.

Last edited:
Presporok still exists, right? What is it doing? Has it repudiated its ties of vassalage to Buda? Has it invaded Hungary, or otherwise been actively involved?
Both Poland and Hungary are fighting the Romans, so the Slovaks must be fighting the Romans too.
After this they'll probably transfer their vassalage to Poland again. There's no way Hungary will be able to extend protection to Presporok for a long time after this.

Both Poland and Hungary are fighting the Romans, so the Slovaks must be fighting the Romans too.
After this they'll probably transfer their vassalage to Poland again. There's no way Hungary will be able to extend protection to Presporok for a long time after this.
Why are Poland and Hungary on the same side? Aren't they rivals? Where's the mention of this alliance; maybe I missed it?

So what are the odds the end result of this war creates a clusterfuck in the Balkans that eventually provides the spark for a future world war?

Aegis03florin: Demetrios II is the Roman Emperor for which the Vlachs have been dreaming for a hundred and fifty years. They adore him.

HanEmpire: Shimazu is going to be using a lot of powder to secure their hold on Japan, so an Imjin War won’t happen anytime soon, although the idea of foreign wars to unify fractured populations is hardly a modern phenomenon. Rhomania though has a need for mercenaries so that’ll siphon off some of the malcontents.

Friedrich’s reaction to the Romans is dependent on what exactly the Romans do next as well as the Triunes. If the Romans invade Austria he has a clear-cut obligation as Emperor to defend the Holy Roman Empire against foreign invaders. Austria is still a member state (much like Schleswig-Holstein which were parts of the HRE even when controlled by Denmark). But he also has the Triunes to deal with as well. He can fight one of them, at least shortly, but not both.

Hungary’s always struck me as what I call a ‘temporary great power’, a state that with excellent leadership, organization, and luck can play with the big boys (think 17th century Sweden). But since it lacks the resource base of a regular great power one big punch can take it down, whereas a great power could shrug it off.

Nightbrainzzz: The Romans are going to get a pretty big chomp for Buda, that’s for certain.

JohnSmith: The Hungarians aren’t really aware of what Iskandar is up to. They just know the truce is about to expire and hoping something breaks their direction. It’s not even close to a foolproof plan but sometimes wishful thinking makes one do stupid things.

ImperatorAlexander: 1) Verona and Padua to Lombardy 2) Veneto, Friuli, and Gorizia to a new Duchy (Roman vassal) 3) Croatia to be established as Roman Despotate 4) Istria and Dalmatia annexed by the Romans directly 5) Serbia to be ceded Bosnia 6) Transylvania and Banat ceded to Vlachs 7) Substantial monetary payments to the Romans, both initial lump sums and tribute, amount and duration negotiable.

It’s not quite Trianon, but it is close. Also the Voivode of Transylvania is the one currently calling the shots in Regency Hungary. If Transylvania goes, his power base literally vanishes.

RogueTraderEnthusiast: The Romans aren’t interested in controlling or intervening in the Hungarian government, they just want to carve off some huge chunks and wreck/loot the rest.

Arrix85: Hungary’s position if it could get the Romans off its back isn’t too bad, as long as they get 20 years to recover…looks to the west…”Stop salivating, Friedrich, it’s gross”. Both the Lombards and Croats will show up in the next update. The Ban of Croatia has ambitions of his own.

Archereon: That’s the worst case scenario. Ironically the best thing going for continued Hungarian existence is that neither the Romans nor Germans want to share a border.

Frustrated Progressive: Presporok is still being a faithful vassal. It’s on the wrong side of Hungary to hope for Roman aid.

Poland and Hungary have been allied for at least a few decades. Sandwiched in between the HRE and Russia they formed a mutual defense pact. When both in good shape, together they’re strong enough to deter either of them. That’s why the Poles joined in the war against Rhomania once it became defensive; a weak Hungary means Poland’s security vis-à-vis the HRE is drastically weakened.

Demetrios II is too ambitious by half. Those vassal states and despotates will be nothing but hooks to draw Rhomania into yet another western war. Far from Constantinople, individually weak, sandwiched between Lombardic ambition and Hungarian revanchism...

@Basileus444 what will Serbia's relationship with the Empire be, once this peace deal settles?
Also how is Vlachia planning on integrating Transylvania and Banat? Those will increase their landmass by a third if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Wow, Hungary, but yeah backstabbers should be properly punished.

Are the Romans in properly position to hold Ceylon? It seems if the Indian Empire wanna conquer it they can hardly defend it, given the proximity.

Wow Hungary is really getting the short end of the stick there. But I would think that Demetrios is more about punitive damages than seizing land. Surely he's savvy enough to see the value not pushing forward and antagonizing the Germans further, and instead offering some minor territorial concessions in return for a larger tribute. It's also about time someone gave the Triunes a bruising.

I wouldn't put "Demetrios" and "savvy" in the same sentence... however smart he or his generals may be military occupation with a delayed deal (it may take a while for Hungarian leadership to realize their new "reality") could cause the romans to chase guerrilla forces (or little more) even further and Austria is not that far from their current positions. Just saying...