Alternative Space Launch Sites

Delta Force

Banned
In a Commonwealth context, Australia had two contenders as launch sites: either Woomera, which was used for the various British missile tests in the 1950s and 1960s (and is still in use as an RAAF testing range), or the Cape York Peninsula at the northeast tip of Australia, which was promoted as a new space launch site at the end of the 1980s. Quite a good potted history on the concept of Cape York as a launch site and the various schemes thought up over the years is here - http://blogs.slq.qld.gov.au/jol/2013/10/21/whatever-happened-to-the-cape-york-spaceport/
HW

Australia is rather far from Canada and the United Kingdom, who would likely supply the payloads and rockets. Australia does have a warmer climate though, and Woomera could launch rockets year-round barring unusual weather patterns. Although launches to the West, North, and South would occur over land, it would be over the sparsely populated deserts of Australia.

let take a example that never flown the Titan IIIM for Manned Orbital Laboratory
Payload into 185 km Polar Orbit .from Vandenberg AFB (California) 14476 kg.
Payload inro 185 km 28° Orbit from Cape Canaveral AFB (Florida) 18121 kg.
That 20 % more payload the reason is Orbit and location of Vandenberg AFB

Where is the information on the 20% more payload to polar orbit? Those figures show reduced payloads from Vandenberg, but of course it isn't a comparison of the same orbit.

Thrust-to-weight might not be as important for in-space propulsion, but empty mass fraction certainly is. Considering the mass of the reactor and the low density of the fuel (entirely LH2 at 70 kg/m³ vs. mixture of 6:1 LOX and LH2 at ~280 kg/m³), resulting in bulky and heavy tankage, you get only a small advantage for NTRs against chemical stages. Not enough to go through all the hassle of NTR production, launch and operations.

Nuclear thermal rockets are about twice as fuel efficient though, and the empty weight of a rocket is a very small part of total vehicle weight (Wikipedia has information on the Saturn V empty and fueled weights). It might be more difficult to transport a defueled rocket both in terms of handling a nuclear reactor and handling increased weight, but overall you need less upper stage weight for an NTR than a conventional rocket. Also, volume increases faster than surface area, so when you consider that 1960s nuclear thermal rockets were twice as efficient as conventional rockets you only need twice as much volume for the same energy content.

Canada's most likely launch sites would be Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and Churchill, Manitoba.

Churchill is a good location and I can see why it was chosen in real life. Although rail transportation is expensive and ocean transport is available for only a short time of the year, those facilities already exist and the port can accommodate very large ships. The major issue is how short its launch season would be due to its cold weather.

The Institution of Engineers, Australia has a great little book called "Spaceport Australia" which features 1950s magazine pictures of a spaceport near Woomera. It might have happened with a little more determination and a little less colonial cringe - instead the launch platforms used for the Europa rocket were sent to French Guyana.

For England, don't forget there's a Reliant Robin launching platform somewhere near the "Top Gear" Vehicle Assembly Building http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20

Churchill is a good location and I can see why it was chosen in real life. Although rail transportation is expensive and ocean transport is available for only a short time of the year, those facilities already exist and the port can accommodate very large ships. The major issue is how short its launch season would be due to its cold weather.

I may be wrong, but I believe they were launching sub-orbital rockets from Churchill year round, as Churchill provided a great launch site for studying the ionosphere and how it affected communications in the arctic.

Delta Force

Banned
I may be wrong, but I believe they were launching sub-orbital rockets from Churchill year round, as Churchill provided a great launch site for studying the ionosphere and how it affected communications in the arctic.

I'm not sure how stringent the requirements are for other rockets, but the launch criteria for the Space Shuttle required the temperature to be at least 35° F (2° C). Churchill's average temperatures are only above 35° F for four months out of the year (June through September). It could just be due to the Shuttle's design though, as the SRB O-rings were a major limiting factor. It's likely the Black Brant rockets are single segment or otherwise have more reliable characteristics than the Shuttle. Churchill is one of the colder rocket bases compared to Vandenberg, Cape Canaveral, Kennedy Space Center, and Baikonur. According to Wikipedia's table of launches, Churchill may be second globally in number of rocket launches.

Last edited:

katchen

Banned
If the Space Race gets going on a multiple nation basis with even nations such as India and China launching men into orbit in the 1970s, Israel may feel it imperative to take over southern Jordan and even possibly parts of northern Saudi Arabia in order to have enough territory downrange to launch conventionally. So a multi-nation space race could have interesting butterflies in a variety of other settings.

Cape Breton, as mentioned, has been looked seriously as a possible location for a spaceport as it is on the same latitude as Baikonur Cosmodrome and can handle much the same types of launches. In this case though, I doubt that Canada would handle a space shuttle. Something like the FDL-7/Silver Dart or France's Hermes spaceplane is more likely.

Cape Breton, as mentioned, has been looked seriously as a possible location for a spaceport as it is on the same latitude as Baikonur Cosmodrome and can handle much the same types of launches. In this case though, I doubt that Canada would handle a space shuttle. Something like the FDL-7/Silver Dart or France's Hermes spaceplane is more likely.

PlanetSpace wanted to build a facility in Cape Breton on behalf of NASA, but NASA ultimately chose Orbital which would build in Virginia. No idea if there's any current plans.

Where is the information on the 20% more payload to polar orbit? Those figures show reduced payloads from Vandenberg, but of course it isn't a comparison of the same orbit.

Me and my typing error
this had to be: Lost of 20% payload if launch into polar orbit.

Delta Force

Banned
Cape Breton is definitely a good location for the Canadians, perhaps even the entire Commonwealth. It's well connected to the rest of Canada through all forms of transportation. Everyone at Gander will certainly be in for a surprise whenever a night launch occurs.

Are there any good locations for a Commonwealth Caribbean spaceport? Some of the Caribbean islands and in a good location and could use the economic support but seem too small for a spaceport (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados). Perhaps Trinidad and Tobago or British Guiana would be best for that?

Cape Breton is definitely a good location for the Canadians, perhaps even the entire Commonwealth. It's well connected to the rest of Canada through all forms of transportation. Everyone at Gander will certainly be in for a surprise whenever a night launch occurs.

Are there any good locations for a Commonwealth Caribbean spaceport? Some of the Caribbean islands and in a good location and could use the economic support but seem too small for a spaceport (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados). Perhaps Trinidad and Tobago or British Guiana would be best for that?
Depends on the size of the launches needed. Unmanned ones could be done from a platform offshore as France has done something similar (they used a converted oil rig for it). Alternatively, they might do some land reclamation and build on that if they absolutely need to.

In my humble opinion, in this alternate time line, the launch sites would be pretty much almost the same as OTL, but I'd add three more launch sites:

1. Somewhere along the northeastern coast of Australia
2. Broglio Space Center on the coast of Kenya, but larger
3. Somewhere along the eastern coast of Hainan Island for Chinese geosynchronous orbit launches

Note all these sites try to be as close to the equator as possible to get the "boost" from Earth's orbital velocity.

Riain

Banned
The Institution of Engineers, Australia has a great little book called "Spaceport Australia" which features 1950s magazine pictures of a spaceport near Woomera. It might have happened with a little more determination and a little less colonial cringe - instead the launch platforms used for the Europa rocket were sent to French Guyana.

For England, don't forget there's a Reliant Robin launching platform somewhere near the "Top Gear" Vehicle Assembly Building http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20

I read that little book years ago, it said something about some paper wasp building nests in Ariane rockets in Guyana and how it rains so often and gets more cyclones there compared to Weipa or where-ever.

As for the proximity to the rocket builders to Australia, they have to transport the rockets to equatorial South America, Africa or elsewhere anyway. The cost and time of extra transport to Australia compared to these places is minimal compared to the advantages that could accrue from a CYP launch site.

I read that little book years ago, it said something about some paper wasp building nests in Ariane rockets in Guyana and how it rains so often and gets more cyclones there compared to Weipa or where-ever.

As for the proximity to the rocket builders to Australia, they have to transport the rockets to equatorial South America, Africa or elsewhere anyway. The cost and time of extra transport to Australia compared to these places is minimal compared to the advantages that could accrue from a CYP launch site.

Australia is to fare away, next to that is problem of transport by boat, short route went true suez or panama canal and if Egypt or USA say no way, you got a long detour around south Africa with dangerous waters.
the French look into this after they closed Hammaguir launch site, after allot investigation they build the new site in Guiana. (for Australia it would better if Rocket is build there )
yes, Guiana got Hurricanes just like Kennedy Space center, cyclones that was hit Japanese Tanegashima Space Center

i heard that story with paper wasp at Guyana space center, they got a frog problem too.
Kennedy Space center and it launch pads are in middle of Natural reserve and got also weird Animal cases, like the Woodpecker hacking into Shuttle external tank isolation foam.
and at LADEE spacecraft start at the Wallops space port had a unlucky frog on launch pad

by the way
Baikonur Cosmodrome got Groundhog, and French had some problems with scorpions in there Hammaguir launch site
and Japanese Tanegashima Space Center got problem with fishery boats.

Well, I suppose that the Commonwealth could design and pool the funds together to develop something like the Soviet Mil V-12. That was the largest helicopter ever designed and was created specifically to move around ICBMs and parts of inside of it. So the Commonwealth coming up with something similar to transport rockets and parts of for a spaceport might not be that far out there.

Riain

Banned
The Shorts Belfast could carry the Blue Streak rocket and presumably everything smaller like Thor etc. Other planes can carry the likes of Titan and Atlas, and by the time the Cold War ends there are planes which can carry the Proton. The hard thing is loading and unloading, flying twice as far to get to Australia is only a fraction of the cost and hassle.

So long as we're not talking Saturn size rockets taking a rocket from somewhere totally unsuitable like Britain to somewhere suitable isn't a big deal.

Delta Force

Banned
I was thinking a swing-tail Canadair CL-44 could be used to transport rocket components, but I wasn't able to find information on the size of the bay. A Guppy modification might be able to carry around some of the smaller rockets such as Black Prince, or at least their stages.

I would expect in the early years, shipping by sea to Aus, then a version of the Blackburn Beverly to transport sections out to the launch station. If developement gets serous then maybe a dedicated rail line with a large load gauge and an improved road link would follow.

katchen

Banned
I would expect Aus to develop it's own aerospace industry--which would turn Adelaide, then Cairns into high tech cities.
And let's not forget the next wave of space powers--India,with it's launch site near Chennai or Vishpakhatnam, and Brazil, probably launching on the Equator itself at Belem.

To round out the discussion a bit:

While Cuba, in the context of an alt-timeline where the USA kept it, has been mentioned, Delta Force's timeline he started this thread to discuss has a strong Soviet Union. It isn't clear to me whether it lasts longer than OTL but it is clear it has a more aggressive space program while it lasts, however long or short that may be.

Clearly if Cuba is on the table for the USA in a more distant timeline, it might be for the Soviets as well. (However I'd have reread Delta Force's political timeline to see if he's butterflied away the Castro regime, or had it forcibly removed...:eek:)

Even in a timeline with the USA hanging on to Cuba as a colonial territory or integral US state, with that being the case in the 1950s, it isn't entirely clear the American authorities would choose it over Cape Canaveral, because while it is nicely farther south that Canaveral, there are a lot of islands cluttering up many of the trajectories one might want to use, starting with nearby Hispaniola.

But it strikes me that the Russians are in more desperate need of a low-latitude launch site than the Americans are; once you get near the tropics the advantage of going closer to the equator is pretty marginal, whereas a site on a tropic might arguably be actually better for Lunar and Solar system missions. Canaveral is well north of even the tropic but not extremely so. The Russians on the other hand, even when they retain control of Central Asia, are pretty far north and would desire a tropical launch site all the more. Perhaps even enough to take some political risks with staring down the USA and then launching a bit close to not-friendly Caribbean island territories.

I've considered Puerto Rico too, but it is quite far from US industrial centers, and the Virgin Islands are right there due east, so that's unfortunate. As for the VI themselves, their eastern range is not cluttered but they are tiny little islands, I don't think big enough to support any sort of major launch complexes without displacing a lot of people.

I've tended to dismiss Australia for the Europeans as being too freaking far away--the actual antipodes, after all! But Woomera is a good site after all, and some commentors here don't think the sheer distance is much of an obstacle, claiming the big problem is loading the components for shipment any distance and not the distance itself. If that is true, I don't think it is very necessary to go farther north to Cape York, which puts the early launch trajectories again over islands; better, given the decision to launch from inland, to use Australia's very sparsely inhabited land and have the advantage of overland abort ranges. Also a desert climate tends on the whole to be more stable and predictable from an operational point of view, and hosting the site in a highly developed nation like Australia (one with political ties to one of the chief developing nations at that) seems like a good idea. So if distance is really no object I vote for Woomera!

Also--Australia is much closer to other nations that have an interest in launch sites, like Japan, and money and technology to get into the game. Later, in the 80s and beyond, other Asian powers could also benefit from an Australian site. Though some of them like Indonesia might prefer to develop their own--again it is tricky to find the ideal island that is big enough and close enough to industrial centers, and yet doesn't have a whole slew of small islands due east...

If the Japanese want a more southerly site reasonably close to them, they might try their luck with the Philippines; central eastern Mindanao looks like a good spot to me.

Finally we haven't seen much mention of East Africa here. OTL Somalia is a political mess of course and the political faction most likely to stabilize it strikes me as the Islamicist bloc, insofar as that is a bloc--OTL I'd be looking to the Saudis or a consortium of Persian Gulf emirates trying it. And not wanting to bet too much on their being able to manage the necessary political stabilization, despite their petrodollars and religious orthodoxy.

But in an ATL, who knows? Perhaps Somalia can have been stabilized by a pro-Western regime, even perhaps an ally of the Shah's, or has a good relationship with Britain if the British can manage either to retain a strong colonial empire (fat chance say I, but they aren't my timelines are they?) or more likely I'd hope, manage decolonialization in a way that keeps good relations. The same goes for Kenya, and in the context of a European space port in East Africa I'd be looking at Kenya more optimistically.

East Africa once drew my eyes because I figured the ideal launching site is from a tropical eastern coast that has highlands, the higher the better, right on the coast. Unfortunately no such place exists and the sort of site I was imagining is either geologically impossible or anyway, very improbable and probably unstable if it existed at all. Would you want to launch a Saturn V from a mile-high cliff edge?:eek: Realistically to get the altitude you need some slope, and that means a broad band of descending land, dozens of miles at least, between the high plateau and the shoreline, and you can bet people will be living there--perhaps not in great numbers, but I don't see a politically desirable place to put a base in that would have the arrogance to just move those people away, or indifferently chuck loud and dangerous rockets over their heads. I'm actually a bit queasy about the Australian outback--it's pretty empty, but not totally, and it would be unfortunate to have a failed launch rain down hundreds of burning exploding tonnes of defective rocket on some Aboriginal family camp. Or a prospector, or sheep station...

So if there are to be East African launch sites, as with Kourou or Canaveral, I expect they'd be right on the coast, with no advantage for high-altitude launch. That's too bad but it's the standard case for all but the dubious inland sites (which include of course not just Woomera but the standard OTL sites chosen by the Soviets and the Chinese both--obviously though those are regimes that will simply cover up the unlikely case of a rocket crash coming down on people, who are after all pretty scarce in the eastern downranges.) No one seems to consider the advantage of launching from a substantially lower air density site worth the obvious hassles and costs of hauling all the launch site facilities and rockets up to such hard to access locations, even if they are inured to the idea of launching over inhabited land. So altitude is not much of a factor to consider.

So that's my belated contribution:

A vote for the Americans sticking with Canaveral as good enough and better in some ways than many alternatives;

A vote for Russians in desperate search of tropical sites to capitalize on their relationship with Castro and developing a site in Cuba (good only for as long as the Soviet Union lasts obviously);

A vote for Woomera in Australia if distance is not a factor (and for Kourou if it is--don't know about wasps and other tropical pests that would plague many equatorial sites, but the Spaceport OTL boasts that actually the French Guianan coast suffers rather less than most tropical sites from tropical storms, for what that is worth)

A vote for eastern Mindanao;

And a vote for an East African site, probably on the Kenyan coast or conceivably Somalian, politics permitting.

Last edited:
Depending on how far the POD is, I can see the Germans using one of their equatorial colonies like Cameroon or Tanganyika as the base for a launch site.