Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through A Mirror, Darkly

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie:
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
-Wilfred Owen (1893 - 1918)

The causes of the Great War are a complicated morass that stretches back generations, if not more. Political ambitions, nationalist rivalries and bad blood all caused the various factions of the United Nations Security Council to go for the knives. The war is really just a collection of smaller wars that's being fought across almost every world in the Olympic Cluster and the surrounding Fringe. For many worlds, the extent of the war is nothing more than gunfights between special forces operators and mercenaries in developing countries over mineral rights. But there are others were decades of continuous total war have ground down the population and their will to fight. Wars are being fought in almost every conceivable environment and biome, from the steam jungles of Cadmus to the empty steppes of Ixion to the icy marshes of Caduceus. Entire cities are Every day, tens of thousands of young men and women die in service of their country.

The heavily populated core worlds remain largely untouched by the war, and support still remains high there. But the war remains generally popular across the known Universe as a half century of patriotic fervor and nationalistic propaganda have whipped people into a fury. That's not to say that the war is universally popular with all people in all nations, as there is still a hearty and robust anti-war movement. Even the alliances aren't particularly very firm, as you can sometimes find examples of local Americans fighting local Chinese or local French fighting local Russians. The big level picture looking down often looks very different from the reality that exists on the ground. No side has managed to articulate any particular high-level goals--there might be local goals such as recapturing and reclaiming territory, but there's no end in sight for the overall war because no nation has managed to identify what it ultimately wants to get out of it.

The Great War has claimed billions of lives, and with no end in sight, it will claim billions more as trillions of dollars of materiel and equipment are lost to warfare. Entire cities and nations have vanished into dust as they've been destroyed by strategic bombing and urban warfare. The world of Salamis was rendered completely uninhabitable by continuous use of weapons of mass destruction in the 2810s and 2820s, but there are reports that a few lost regiments continue to duke it out to this day. Technology has grown in spurts, and all sides now have vast computer networks commanding their war efforts, which has opened up a whole new front of electronic warfare. In order to cut down losses, there has been intense research into human cloning, artificial battle drones and even necrotic resucitation to supply soldiers, but officially, such projects remain unfulfilled.

cjq9lPm.png

Last edited:
856 million KIAs, 2.5 - 2.9 billion civilian deaths, 44 years and counting.

Retiring to a small moon with a collection of aliens who don't feel we need the government to validate our love never looked so good.

That's...

A lot of dead people.

Jesus Christ.

Look on my works ye mighty and despair

Additionally, "Lost Regiments of Salamis" sounds like a badass idea for a story.

It would make for a great pseudo-World War I aesthetic, I'd think

856 million KIAs, 2.5 - 2.9 billion civilian deaths, 44 years and counting.

Retiring to a small moon with a collection of aliens who don't feel we need the government to validate our love never looked so good.

Don't worry, the war will follow you

It always will

In honour of our dearly departed original thread name:

Roman numerals
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The numeric system represented by Roman numerals originated in ancient Rome and remained the usual way of writing numbers throughout Europe well into the Late Middle Ages. Numbers in this system are represented by combinations of letters from the Latin alphabet. [...]

The numbers 1 to 10 are usually expressed in Roman numerals as follows:

I, II, III, IIII, V, VI, VII, VIII, VIIII, X.

[...]

Alternative forms

In the medieval period, some scholars wished to avoided repeating four characters in succession and so used subtractive notation. I placed before V or X indicated one less, so four was written as IV (one less than five) and nine as IX (one less than ten).

However, as Roman inscriptions, especially in official contexts, showed a preference for additive forms, subtractive forms gradually fell out of common use.

5OgOJ9w.jpg
DwBDhBq.jpg
Tnxlg6m.jpg

You seem dedicated to portraying my inquiries as rather unreasonable and seemingly dumb, with obvious answers, but truly I think all of my inquiries have been reasonable considering how little information was actually provided.
I apologize; when I understand something and I'm trying to explain it, I often have a difficult time trying to craft explanations that draw others through my reasoning and explain the factors that led to the conclusions without sounding condescending; this is a flaw in my own behaviour, and thank you for calling me on it. I really do appreciate people questioning things, and I hope you don't take my bad answering habits as disapproval.

I apologize; when I understand something and I'm trying to explain it, I often have a difficult time trying to craft explanations that draw others through my reasoning and explain the factors that led to the conclusions without sounding condescending; this is a flaw in my own behaviour, and thank you for calling me on it. I really do appreciate people questioning things, and I hope you don't take my bad answering habits as disapproval.

It's all good! :)

What would a completely PV proportional EC look like? Well, here is 1904.

View attachment 299645

The election is much closer than real life, which was a blow out for Roosevelt. Third parties have also benefited, Debs being the biggest example. One state is "flipped", that being Maryland (but technically it went Republican in OTL)
I would be quite happy if this was actually how the election system worked in the US. Doesn't get rid of the electoral college, but it does help the popular vote to factor in. Plus, it helps third parties, which makes me a very jolly fellow. More of this series would be awesome! Keep up the good work!

An Unapologetic Dem-Wank:
Lose a Battle to Win the War.
Warning Signs

President John McCain's response to the 2009 February-March Financial Collapse and the subsequent stock market crash has been criticized as "the most politically inept response to a crisis by a United States President ever". McCain, always a foreign policy man with the occasional focus on reform was simply not the man to calm the nation during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. McCain was hindered by his numerous announcements about how sound the American economy was, and he was considered tone deaf in his initial responses where he tried to downplay the magnitude of the crisis. While his approval rating saw a brief spike in a rally-around-the-flag effect, by March 1 his approval rating had begun to sink. Afraid of appearing tone deaf, McCain swerved dangerously the other direction, canceling various foreign state visits at the last minute to dramatically return to Washington to try to work with Congress, appealing to the American people to show solidarity "in the face of unprecedented disaster". Unfortunately for McCain, this change of tone was too dramatic, with many political consultants saying it contributed to the sense that the country was losing its way. McCain's early successes in Iraq and Afghanistan went nearly unnoticed due to the economic catastrophe.

Despite the scale of the problem, Republicans were not entirely without hope. After all, many incumbent Democratic governors saw their approval ratings also dip, and the Republicans attacked the Democratic Congress for pushing for huge bailouts and stimuli. McCain forced the Democrats to compromise to lower bailouts and stimuli, an action met with overwhelming approval from Republicans and even many independents, but met with skepticism by economists who stated that it would hurt the economic recovery. McCain was confident that the economy would start recovering in 2010, and that the American people would understand that the Democrats in Congress were part of the problem.

The 2009 gubernatorial elections were mixed. Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell attacked the incumbent administration of Tim Kaine, stating that Kaine had failed the Virginian people and pinning their economic problems on him. His opponent Creigh Deeds fired back by trying to tie McDonnell to the McCain administration, stating that Republicans caused the mess and couldn't possibly fix it. McDonnell ran a good campaign, but he was ultimately unable to overcome the unpopularity of the McCain Administration.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 11.32.04 PM.png

New Jersey, on the other hand, went better for the Republicans. Incumbent John Corzine had a more difficult time defending his record, and several scandals hit his administration during the election campaign. Corzine lost the trust of many liberals due to his scandals and his bad record on the environment, leading to independent candidate Chris Daggett gaining a lot of support. With the vote divided, Republican Chris Christie managed to narrowly squeak through and win by a mere 8,000 votes.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 11.47.30 PM.png

The Democrats in the House and Senate pushed for a comprehensive financial reform to ensure that such a crisis would never happen again. Initially, President McCain spoke in favor of this reform, even calling for a return of Glass-Steagal. However, he did not fight for it, and a bitter fight among Republicans in Congress delayed the reform. Alarmed by the perception that the regulation would be killed by the McCain administration, professor and financial regulation advocate Elizabeth Warren was convinced to run for Senate after the unfortunate death of Senator Ted Kennedy. Rallying the people behind her with a populist anti-Wall Street campaign, Warren won a dynamic victory in spite of the Republicans fielding a strong opponent.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 8.54.00 PM.png

Whipped this one up quickly. Basically "WI instant-runoff voting/ranked-choice voting was used to elect the president". Used the results from a CBS poll of Stein & Johnson voters* on who would have gotten their vote in a two-person race to approximate support for Clinton and Trump among third party voters.

*-the two were remarkably similar: 25% of Johnson voters would have voted for Clinton (26% for Stein), 15% for Trump (14% for Stein) while the remaining 60% would have not voted at all.

Maybe if I'm not lazy, I'll go about making a county map of the final count results by county.

EDIT: Never mind, the county results for the final map literally only has three counties flip (Teton (ID), Jefferson (IA) & Hillsborough (NH))

2016irv.png

Last edited:

A more realistic Ron Paul victory would be Hillary winning in 2008 and continuing the war. While there is no second great depression the economy is still far worse than otl 2012. Ron Paul wins the Republican primaries by running as a anti-war candidate and getting a lot of support from the Tea Party types and anti-war Democrats who largely abandon Kucinich's primary challenge.

*Trigger Warning for our British members*

LmwOOuY.png

Yorkshire and Humber's 8th congressional district is represented by Labor Party member Ed Miliband. The congressional district was redrawn from the previous district to stretch from Doncaster, to include the northern portion of Rotherham County, up to and including Sheffield. From 2002 to 2012 the district included the the entirety of Doncaster and Rotherham Counties, but these areas were moved into the 6th congressional district, while additional parts of Sheffield belonging to the now defunct 9th district were moved into the district. The congressional district has been described as a packing attempt by Conservatives to reduce Labor representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.