Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting collection of nations there
With a lot of countries giving up their militaries, there's a lot of room to move up in the rankings ;)

I envisaged Afghanistan as maintaining a fierce independent streak in the face of neighboring giants India and China attempting to subsume it into their respective spheres, while also maintaining ties to the US militarily, resulting in the development of a strong martial tradition. Vietnam did something similar with ancestral rival/enemy China becoming a superpower.

As for Poland, I foresee them also maintaining a strong military tradition.

Last edited:

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Here are some near contexless wikiboxes I made. Don't worry, the other ones that I will be posting have more imagination in them, but basically it turns out making a wikibox does wonders for end of Semester stress;

So first is McGovern winning 1972 with the the bare minimum of states needed;
1972 2 copy.png

And McGovern vs. Goldwater, which was inspired by an interview they did in '88, where they agreed that if they ran against each other, they'd be more civil than Bush/Dukakis. Uses their results from the election they ran in. Put Wallace into the second because why not?
1968.png
1968 2 copy.png

Well, third parties are fun, right? So 2008 with only the third party results.
2008.png

Then I had an aneurysm because I made these, third Party Presidents (I've put them into spoiler because of how big they are);
Yvf3NlO.png

6xtEjIS.png

And yeah, that's the random America ones I did. I'll post the random British boxes sometime tomorrow or the day after, but I've been a busy bee.

EDIT: I'm aware of the certain issues certain boxes have, and because I currently lack the tools I used to make them, I will be unable to fix them.

Last edited:
Here are some near contexless wikiboxes I made. Don't worry, the other ones that I will be posting have more imagination in them, but basically it turns out making a wikibox does wonders for end of Semester stress;

EDIT: I'm aware of the certain issues certain boxes have, and because I currently lack the tools I used to make them, I will be unable to fix them.

This is great stuff.

For my first infobox of the new thread, I figured it would be time to make one for the final Star Trek captain I haven't made one for yet before Discovery adds one more to the mix.

Other than the general chronology of Archer's career post-Enterprise, quite a bit of this info is either non-canon or made up specifically for the box. Similarly, Archer's birthplace is only given as "upstate New York" in canon and it is implied that he studied at Stanford, both of which I incorporated into the infobox (and specified his birthplace as Albany, because that was the first city in upstate NY I could think of). Similarly, his date of death is drawn from a deleted scene from the finale (although the location of his death is entirely my own).

trekarcher.png

Last edited:

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
This is great stuff.
Thank you. I have a couple more America ones that are a bit further out there, but I plan on putting actual write ups to those (and the British ones will include my take on British Trump).
Eh Roy Jenkins... Eww... Still a very interesting, diverse and well thought out story/box.

*Realises who posted it*

:D Shifty! :D
Gonzo!

This is what the kids call 'peak', right?

Fun story about that box though: I had to make it from the ground up because there is no official box for spies or spy organisations.

Good to see the new thread is up and running. I made about 20 or so Wikiboxes whilst I was away, and this is the only one currently with a write-up.

Obvious reference is obvious.
------------

The Oxford Circus was a ring of spies recruited by the Soviet Union from the student body of Oxford University, who operated as saboteurs and intelligence operators for the Soviet Union through World War II and into the First Cold War until their liquidation in 1974. The ring was initially identified by a key member, then Liberal Party Leader Jeremy Thorpe (cryptonym: Wells), and following a series of arrests and a detailed investigation, the wider membership of then Environment Secretary Tony Crosland (cryptonym: Poland), Home Secretary Roy Jenkins (cryptonym: Reagent), Chancellor of the Exchequer Denis Healey (cryptonym: Argyll), former Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party Edward Heath (cryptonym: John Prince's), editor of The Times William Rees-Mogg (cryptonym: Holles), and Director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies Dick Taverne (cryptonym: Harewood) were uncovered. An eight operative and groups handler, Bakerloo, remains unknown

Despite popular belief, the groups Codename, Oxford Circus, does not reflect the fact that all the members were students of Oxford University, but instead was taken from the Station of the same name, with cryptonym's taken from the roads branching from Oxford Street. There is some debate over when the group was formed, however, there is a broad consensus supported by the testimony of Harold Wilson shortly before his murder that Healey and Heath were likely recruited as early as 1938. It is also agreed that the group can be divided into two distinct periods, those recruited pre-War (Crosland, Healey, Jenkins, and Heath), and those recruited post-War (Rees-Mogg, Taverne, and Thorpe). Both groups were unaware of the others existence and identity until liquidation. Due to this, the former group is often referred to as Trinity Circus and the latter Hilary Circus.

Some debate, however, continues over the size and extent of Oxford Circus. Due to the divided nature of the organisation, some believe that a third or even fourth group exist, connecting fellow Oxford alumni such as then Canadian Finance Minister John Turner and Australian Shadow Minister of Labour Malcolm Fraser. Then British Prime Minister Harold Wilson was also suspected to be a member of the group when the identity of the operative Poland was unknown; suspicion would be dropped following his murder at the hands of Tony Crosland, who was in turn killed by Wilson's secretary, Marcia Williams. Williams would also be uncovered as a Soviet spy, though was part of an operation unrelated to the Oxford Circus. Others accused of being members of the alleged third group (often referred to as Michaelmas) were Shadow Secretary of State for Industry Michael Heseltine, New Statesman Editor Anthony Howard, and Director of Programming at Thames Television Jeremy Isaacs. John Stonehouse, who was accused of spying in 1969, was also arrested. Whilst not charged with criminal activity relating to the Oxford Circus, it was confirmed that he had in actual fact been a spy for Czechoslovakia by the Security Services.

Following the group's liquidation, Thorpe, Healey, and Rees-Mogg would be arrested and sentenced to 23-29 years imprisonment, as well as being stripped of awards and membership of their political parties. Crosland was shot and killed by Marcia Williams whilst fleeing No. 10 following his murder of Harold Wilson. Taverne was killed in a car accident whilst trying to flee to the coast from his home. Jenkins would evade arrest and resurfaced as a biographer in East Germany. He would return to England to face prosecution following the fall of the Berlin Wall. Heath would go missing; sources at the KGB would claim that Heath was killed by the crew of a Soviet Micro-Submarine sent to collect him and his co-conspirators. Others would claim the former Prime Minister was brought back to Russia and started a new life as a lecturer at the Far Eastern Federal University, a yachtsman on the Ariel Sea, or that he had taken his private yacht and was killed in a North Sea storm whilst attempting to flee. He was declared legally dead in 2005.

The revelation of the Oxford Circus would have a profound impact on British Politics- with a General Election only ten days away when the initial revelation was made, and Healy, Heath, Jenkins, and Rees-Mogg outed in the week following, the result would see a heavily fragmented and paranoid Parliament where fringe parties, such as the National Front, surged in seat numbers whilst the Liberals were almost wiped out south of the Scottish border, and Labour and the Conservatives saw their own numbers erode. With Wilson dead, Thorpe imprisoned, Heath missing, and seat numbers making forming a stable Government almost impossible, there was much speculation over who would lead the next Government. Facing a political crisis and economic turmoil unparalleled by anything ever witnessed before in British history, a National Unity Government of All Parties would be formed under the helmsman ship of Conservative Peer Harold Macmillan, the Earl of Stockton, who would lead the nation until the 1977 General Election and the ascension of his Home Secretary Ariey Neave. The period following the revelation of the spy ring would retrospectively be referred to as 'The British Red Scare'.

How long did Macmillan's second premiership last for out of interest?

Thank you. I have a couple more America ones that are a bit further out there, but I plan on putting actual write ups to those (and the British ones will include my take on British Trump).

Gonzo!

This is what the kids call 'peak', right?

Fun story about that box though: I had to make it from the ground up because there is no official box for spies or spy organisations.

I was recognised! :D

Yeah... I've been creating 'Peak Gonzo' now without even trying...

And thus the Shifty Spy Ring box template was created. How'd you go about creating it?

And then the Progressive Party beats the two party system! Somehow!

I will create a list where Tulsi Gabbard becomes an official in Trump's Administration and is revealed to be a radical right-winger. ;)

For my first infobox of the new thread, I figured it would be time to make one for the final Star Trek captain I haven't made one for yet before Discovery adds one more to the mix.
I'm ashamed to say I do not recall the previous iterations of the series, but I like this.

Granted, I'm always a sucker for wikiboxes about fictional characters.

In that case...

Actually, here's an idea for a box: Ivanka as First Lady.

Get your mind out of the gutter, that's not what I'm talking about. There is precedent of a President's daughter, sister, niece, etc. holding the office. Now generally, this is because the President is single, but there Ain't No Rule.

Now keep in mind that...

A: The Donald has stated that he intends to give his children positions in his administration.

B: Melania has stated that she intends to continue living in Trump Tower in order to focus on raising Barron. This basically precludes her from serving as hostess of the White House, which is the First Lady's primary job.

It makes a certain kind of logic, therefore, for Ivanka to do the job her stepmother isn't interested in, no?

Another wikibox idea: The Donald's first marriage lasted for 15 years and his second for 2. He's been married to Melania for almost 12. I would not put it past him to, if you'll pardon the crudity, replace her with a younger model in the near future; would anyone care to make a wikibox on a Mrs. Trump Mk. IV?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
I was recognised! :D

Yeah... I've been creating 'Peak Gonzo' now without even trying...

And thus the Shifty Spy Ring box template was created. How'd you go about creating it?
Same way you can make any wikibox that isn't already there with a pre-made template, with the infobox template tutorial (that- IIRC- @Archangel Michael pointed us towards because he was frustrated by everything being an election box at the beginning of the last thread).
How long did Macmillan's second premiership last for out of interest?
October/November '74 to mid-1977.

Status
Not open for further replies.