Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes III

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: On an unrelated note, is it unethical to delay making a post in order to ensure that it's on the top quarter of the page, or does no one care?

It's alright: but keep in mind with the new board software (specifically the [Go to First Unread] button), it makes missing posts like this a lot less likely. At the very least it eliminates the need for "Bottom of the Page bump" posts.

The MAA was the first major legislative action of the Greene administration. The MAA, which had passed the Senate and House in 2051, had been vetoed by her Presidential predecessor. Nine days after acceding to the Presidency, President Greene passed Executive Order 19869, which forced the MAA into law. The response was generally positive, but a large number of people were outraged -- many Conservatives, many corporations, and many fringe groups, such as the CAGT -- whose paramilitary wing caused violence in many cities in the United States after the fact.

This law permitted the federal government to impose limitations on the costs of pharmaceuticals, or nationalization of pharmaceutical companies who refused to play ball. After a strain of Red Flu spread in the late 2040s and killed 3 million people world wide -- 750,000 of whom were in the United States, the government grew increasingly hostile against pharmaceutical companies who refused to lower prices to meet with growing public concern over death and pestilence. The MAA targeted numerous companies, and drew lawsuits by major healthcare service companies -- Mylan sued almost immediately, objecting to the immediate intention to tank the prices of Epipens, which had spiked to almost $5,000/unit -- ten times the cost of one unit in 2016. Public backlash lead to the case eventually falling apart, and the cost of epipens tanking to around $150/unit by 2055.

GlaxoSmithKline, a large British conglomerate which produced a large number of pharmaceutical products, also launched a lawsuit against the United States, which went just as well as Mylans. Walgreens and CVS did similarly, suing over the government's intervention into the distribution of influenza vaccines. Walgreens had been one of the better companies to respond to the outbreak of Red Flu, but had stopped their low-cost/no copay flu vaccines in the Summer of 2047, and had begun to charge extraordinary amounts for vaccines due to the cost of distribution from the providers of the vaccine. The two companies sued the government over the intrusive investigations into their corporate level interaction with the pharmaceutical companies.

CAGT sued the government on a laundry list of offenses, not excluding "introducing communism to America" and "flagrant violations of the United States Constitution".

However, despite the hiccups, the MAA has been implemented with little hitch, and has caused the cost of healthcare to drop nearly 60% since 2053.

I'm pretty sure overriding the veto of a previous president with an executive order is like 100% unconstitutional.

Asami

Banned
I'm pretty sure overriding the veto of a previous president with an executive order is like 100% unconstitutional.

There's some precedence in the history of the United States since the Clinton administration that allows for this to happen.

HB

Banned
2hf57rk.jpg

m77xif.jpg

Made one for my character on PolticsUK And another person on there

This post ended up being a lot bigger than I thought it would be, but thanks must go to @Turquoise Blue who helped me make sense of my ramblings about the ALT Canadian political situation, and @CanadianTory for letting me bounce ideas off of him (again)! This is the revamped version of Canada from Hail, Britannia - I hope you like it:

----

The Dominion of the Canada is a constituent country of the United Kingdom located in the northern half of Britain-in-America on the North American continent. Its eight provinces and three territories extend from the Atlantic in the east to the Pacific in the west and northward into the Arctic Ocean, covering 10.6 million square kilometres (4.09 million square miles), making it the largest British Home Nation by area. Canada borders Oregon in the southwest, Missouri, the Great Lakes and Ohio in the south, Columbia and New England in the southeast, and Newfoundland in the east.

These posts just keep on getting better! This is probably the best infobox series ever!

The MAA, which had passed the Senate and House in 2051, had been vetoed by her Presidential predecessor. Nine days after acceding to the Presidency, President Greene passed Executive Order 19869, which forced the MAA into law.

CAGT sued the government on a laundry list of offenses, not excluding "introducing communism to America" and "flagrant violations of the United States Constitution".

There's some precedence in the history of the United States since the Clinton administration that allows for this to happen.

4d4KtpA.gif

Another revision post, by request from a curious DeviantArt follower.

This is also still the silliest thing I've ever done.

faith_party__u_s_____2068_c_e__by_machinekng-daf5qbz.png

This, on the other hand, is amazing. Do you have a map of political control of state legislatures?

This, on the other hand, is amazing. Do you have a map of political control of state legislatures?

Nope. While I have an excel spreadsheet detailing U.S. population by state, and I can use the source I got the data from to likely do population by county, I have no clue how I'd start trying to district the country.

EDIT: I can tell you that the vast majority of Faith party representatives come from Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona. There's also a couple of state-level representatives in California and the plains states.

Last edited:

Adding on this (mostly for @Sakura_F 's benefit)- executive orders are directives from the president (in his/her role as chief executive) instructing members of the executive branch on the execution of laws passed by Congress. While they have the power of law, they are not legislation and can be reversed at any time by subsequent presidents in addition to being possibly struck down by the judicial branch for unconstitutionality or if it's lacking in a statutory basis.

There is also the fact that a law that is vetoed and not overridden is dead. A new bill with the exact same contents can be submitted, but it is considered a new bill altogether and Congress would need to vote on and pass the new bill in order for the president to take action on it.

Adding on this (mostly for @Sakura_F 's benefit)- executive orders are directives from the president (in his/her role as chief executive) instructing members of the executive branch on the execution of laws passed by Congress. While they have the power of law, they are not legislation and can be reversed at any time by subsequent presidents in addition to being possibly struck down by the judicial branch for unconstitutionality or if it's lacking in a statutory basis.

There is also the fact that a law that is vetoed and not overridden is dead. A new bill with the exact same contents can be submitted, but it is considered a new bill altogether and Congress would need to vote on and pass the new bill in order for the president to take action on it.

A President can certainly attempt to legislative through executive orders has Bush and Obama have done, but there are limits to that and we're already seeing pushback against it. I don't see any court allowing Hillary Clinton of all people to run roughshod over the Constitution without anyone saying anything about it.

Asami

Banned
Insulting gif

Says the guy who's twisted the United States constitutional interpretation sixty-ways to Sunday. =/

Aye, perhaps my method of showing this particular instance wasn't the best way to show it. The point was more to show that executive orders by 2053 had become largely the only way for the United States to keep itself governing; and that the United States wasn't exactly a pristine place despite her extraterrestrial colonial ambitions.

A President can certainly attempt to legislative through executive orders has Bush and Obama have done, but there are limits to that and we're already seeing pushback against it. I don't see any court allowing Hillary Clinton of all people to run roughshod over the Constitution without anyone saying anything about it.

Point of order, The Clinton that I am referring to is in fact, Bill Clinton, whose Presidency is the point of divergence. Not Hillary's theoretical presidency. There are a number of events that have transpired since Spring 1997 (the point of divergence) that have changed the ins-outs of the U.S. government, and sure as hell have made any theoretical HRC administration null-moot-and-void. While I will admit that I made an error in connecting a dead bill to an Executive Order; this alt-future USA has a few constitutional precedents to allow the President to do something so drastic.

Last edited:
So I decided to turn this into a little FH Wikibox series thingummy.

After the Eurosceptic parties (UKIP, which concentrates on European elections and lobbying; and the Radical Party, which concentrates on Parliament) teamed up in the Get Britain Out campaign and won Cameron's foolish EU 'Brexit' Referendum on 26 June 2016, David Cameron resigned and, after an abortive leadership campaign, was succeeded by reluctant Remainer Theresa May. May struck a slightly more centrist course than Cameron, focusing on social policy to lift austerity-stricken Hard Working Families out of poverty and into grammar schools. But despite creating two senior Cabinet positions purely to deal with Brexit, she never actually triggered Article 50 (the mechanism by which a state cuts all ties with the European Union).

This was displeasing to 52% of the population, as well as to a significant minority of Tory Ministers and backbenchers. After a little less than two years of the 'Nannying Fussbucketry' school of Conservatism - supposedly descended from the 'Wets' of the 1980s - the Right of the Conservative Party had had enough. They triggered a leadership coup figureheaded by their nominee Jacob Rees-Mogg. Rees-Mogg had been a darling of the mainstream media since his patrician drawl had first appeared on Have I Got New For You, and he was the archetype of the mid-20th-century young fogey trapped in the hideous chromery of the 2010s. This was an increasingly popular image in an increasingly chaotic international political scene. Anyone who had ever used Twitter knew some adorable little factoid about Jacob Rees-Mogg, be it the fact that in his first attempt at entering Parliament he had been accompanied by his nanny, or the fact that he was the first person to use the word 'Floccinaucinihilipilification' in the House of Commons with a straight face, or the fact that, after misunderstanding the city's Wikipedia article, he had worn a twee sailor suit on a rare visit to Bristol during his campaign to be elected Mayor of the West of England.

Rees-Mogg had the support of 67 MPs in the House of Commons: a minority of the Party, most of whom rallied round May as their predecessors had rallied round Thatcher, but enough to throw the vote to the Tory membership in the grassroots. The local Conservative Associations, for the information of anyone who has been lucky enough never to have come across one in the wild, were a lot more old-fashioned than the Members of Parliament they campaign for, and Rees-Mogg was their darling. He won 59% of the vote on the second anniversary of the Brexit vote. He was Leader. He was Prime Minister.

For slightly less than a fortnight.

The Conservatives in the Commons are a ruthless bunch, and as soon as Jacob Rees-Mogg had kissed the Queen's hand at the Palace (while informing her placidly that the hand-kissing ceremony wasn't actually required, but "these little traditions enliven the grubby business of politics rather, don't they?"), they were laying their plots against him. Rees-Mogg's first test was the vote to trigger Article 50, which he won by a narrow margin, and only due to the votes of sympathetic Labour MPs (including their Leader, Jeremy Corbyn). But he was still struggling to fill all the Junior positions in his Government, and on 4 July the coup unfolded. Theresa May unveiled a new 'One Nation Party' along with a hard core of moderate Tories, and over the course of the next few days, dribs and drabs of defectors turned into floods. On 9 July, One Nation had 276 MPs, and Rees-Mogg's Government was stranded. He resigned - too late to come out with any dignity - and gained the dubious honour of being the shortest-serving Prime Minister since the 18th century.

It was, as he put it in his memoirs, "a superlative performance, but not a very good one".

Radverse1.png

The Radverse
The Radical Party

Says the guy who's twisted the United States constitutional interpretation sixty-ways to Sunday.

Well, yeah, but he gave it like a 100+ years.

I've also personally fucked over the constitution, but that's partially because of a bipartisan amendment to give the federal government the powers to regulate elections for major offices, in order to handle the various inconsistencies across dozens of voter ID and voting period cases. This, of course, was promptly abused. The other part is the victorious AMP passing the National Security amendment that essentially allows the government to indefinitely annul an individual's rights if it can be shown that it's nesecary to safeguard national security.

Asami

Banned
Well, yeah, but Whhe gave it like a 100+ years.

I've also personally fucked over the constitution, but that's partially because of a bipartisan amendment to give the federal government the powers to regulate elections for major offices, in order to handle the various inconsistencies across dozens of voter ID and voting period cases. This, of course, was promptly abused. The other part is the victorious AMP passing the National Security amendment that essentially allows the government to indefinitely annul an individual's rights if it can be shown that it's nesecary to safeguard national security.

Again:

Aye, perhaps my method of showing this particular instance wasn't the best way to show it. The point was more to show that executive orders by 2053 had become largely the only way for the United States to keep itself governing; and that the United States wasn't exactly a pristine place despite her extraterrestrial colonial ambitions. Poor execution on my part. As well, I was going for the spin that the Common Sense candidate may not be the guardian of democracy she purports herself to be...

Besides, setting a U.S. timeline set in the future by a couple centuries in space is just asking for drama to crop up. Which is why I'm aiming for late 21st century nonsense, *shrug*

Last edited:
Again:

Aye, perhaps my method of showing this particular instance wasn't the best way to show it. The point was more to show that executive orders by 2053 had become largely the only way for the United States to keep itself governing; and that the United States wasn't exactly a pristine place despite her extraterrestrial colonial ambitions. Poor execution on my part. As well, I was going for the spin that the Common Sense candidate may not be the guardian of democracy she purports herself to be...

Besides, setting a U.S. timeline set in the future by a couple centuries in space is just asking for drama to crop up. Which is why I'm aiming for late 21st century nonsense, *shrug*

Yes, but there still has to be logic that can be found in the Constitution to back it

Or perhaps a rubber-stamp supreme court? But I think even that would spark enough outrage to reverse course.
Perhaps if the executive order had happened during a major pandemic and the Supreme Court subsequently declined to hear the case? That's still stretching it, though.

Sabot Cat

Banned
I'd say President Greene could be able to enact an executive order identical to a prior legislative proposal to impose pharmaceutical price controls as long as there was a broad law like this passed enabling them to do so beforehand.

Or perhaps a rubber-stamp supreme court? But I think even that would spark enough outrage to reverse course.

That's possible, but if we've reached that point, it shouldn't be too hard to have Congress pass the law again

And we're missing the obvious solution here: government agencies, aka, the fourth branch of government

Status
Not open for further replies.