Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming we ever make something of the Old Style Elections, here's a few ideas:

Maryland
: Governors are allowed a single four year term, and they must be elected from one of the states rotating three electoral districts (only done from 1838 to 1851, and as three year terms, but come on it's unique to Maryland)

Nevada
: I suppose having a Silver (Democratic) Party is too cliche, and out of touch (even if they do basically function as modern day Populists)?

Tennessee
: Gubernatorial term are two years, with a maximum of three at any one time (so six years then you have to sit out an election).

Virginia: Readjusters instead of Republicans is kind of boring, but it's all I can think of.

I should like to note that, despite never having seen Gladiator or previously heard of Fall of the Roman Empire, I love this series.
Thank you! That means a lot to me. :) Fall of the Roman Empire's easily available on the Interwebs; I'd say it's worth a watch.

As for the rest of you,

f5ff8bbf2baedef02048f6de48f8b821ad10334a9747e5bf630d78775c0dd61f.jpg

:p

I'll be continuing Livius' story later.

Last edited:
So this is what would happen if the next Canadian Federal Election happened today according to the polls conducted in July. Let's just say that it's a Trudeau Blowout.
canada2019.jpg

The Second Chamber election of 2015 - the first one after the Eurim Crisis and the ScanBel countries' collapse in the early 2010's had fully impacted the continent - was nothing short of an upheaval, an immense middle finger to the establishment and a rebuttal of technocracy and austerity politics, and an insight in the major rifts between the elite and the average Svensson in Strömsund, Nässjö and Lidköping. The signs were there ever since the unemployment levels started to skyrocket as the traditional parties nosedived in the polls, but not even the Norwegian election two years earlier had properly foreseen the rise of an utterly unlikely political landscape.

While many cheered the break-down of the Second Karlsson cabinet after the withdrawal and subsequent balkanization of the People's Party, relief soon turned into outrage as the unstable parliamentary situation was solved not by a cross-bloc coalition, but by the long-forgotten 21st paragraph of the Instrument of Government's 4th Chapter, allowing the formation of a non-partisan technocratic government with the blessings of the King and a minority in the Riksdag's both chamber. That the chosen Prime Minister was a first-calibre Eurocrat, the most hated man in Sweden after the Umeå Rapist and Christer Pettersson himself, only fanned the flames even further. Quickly, the parties had to decide whether to actively support the new cabinet, to tacitly allow it or to fiercely oppose it. And whatever they chose, they would enrage a significant chunk of their base. This was especially true of the Social Democrats' uneasy coalition of blue-collar workers and good-government centrists. But the discontent cut through every layer of society, not the least of which the youth, soon finding that not a single company or agency felt like hiring someone that wasn't the boss's niece.

Every successful social movement needs a leader, though, and while people were mad as hell, the estimated action was a record-low turnout. Instead, the country turned to relieving their tears with humor - humor black as midnight Kiruna in December, speaking of liberalism, social justice, and above all - common sense, taking the piss out of every single hypocritical and useless politician in Stockholm wedded to the fat butts of Brussels. SKÄRP ER! - Get a grip! - he said, and that is what they told their representatives.

Ever since the last political-economical crisis hit only twenty-five years ago, and the passage of the Leijon-Johansson Reform Package, pundits had predicted that the duopoly of alliances would keep their strangehold on the country thanks to the incentives for any minor upstart to ally themselves with a major player. The entry of the Gathering last election, while revolutionary, did little to suppress that notion - after all, was it not much like the Greens twenty years ago, and so, why should they not join Forward, Sweden in a couple of years? But this - this was something else. Not even the 50-seat bonus could give the country the well-needed stability and majority. But perhaps this would be for the better in the end..?

Really cool! Is this a standalone or part of a wider universe? Because I clearly see differences the abhorrent number of parties, bicameralism, and odd mention of undemocratic technocratic practices, etc. So do explain a bit, if you wouldn't mind, but again, it's really interesting.

Really cool! Is this a standalone or part of a wider universe? Because I clearly see differences the abhorrent number of parties, bicameralism, and odd mention of undemocratic technocratic practices, etc. So do explain a bit, if you wouldn't mind, but again, it's really interesting.

I might add more to it but as of now it's standalone. It's basically Sweden gone Italy with somewhat obvious analogues for at least Berlusconi and Grillo,* though with slightly less regionalism, a slightly different party system and slightly less bizarreness.

In short, mandates are awarded to the alliances/coalitions proportionally with a 4% threshold, and then the coalition's mandates are divided proportionally among its parties, with no threshold. A bonus is applied to the largest party, a la Greece.

*Although right of centre, I'd take Betnér - who's a libertarian-leaning type - over Grillo any day of the year. Couldn't see anyone else getting such a following up here as a comedian/politician.

I might add more to it but as of now it's standalone. It's basically Sweden gone Italy with somewhat obvious analogues for at least Berlusconi and Grillo,* though with slightly less regionalism, a slightly different party system and slightly less bizarreness.

In short, mandates are awarded to the alliances/coalitions proportionally with a 4% threshold, and then the coalition's mandates are divided proportionally among its parties, with no threshold. A bonus is applied to the largest party, a la Greece.

*Although right of centre, I'd take Betnér - who's a libertarian-leaning type - over Grillo any day of the year. Couldn't see anyone else getting such a following up here as a comedian/politician.

Less bizarreness? :p That's not a very high bar, mind you. It does get a bit difficult to tell without a clear equivalent of Lega Nord, but that's not the kind of movement that is easy to replicate in other places. Still really interesting. I assume the Unity List is a Scelta Civica equivalent?

Also, I'm sure Betnér never killed anyone, unlike Grillo.

That being said, you've inspired me to try something out.

Last edited:
Less bizarreness? :p That's not a very high bar, mind you. It does get a bit difficult to tell without a clear equivalent of Lega Nord, but that's not the kind of movement that is easy to replicate in other places. Still really interesting. I assume the Unity List is a Scelta Civica equivalent?

Also, I'm sure Betnér never killed anyone, unlike Grillo.

That being said, you've inspired me to try something out.

Exactly. I did think of a Stockholm First-ish movement, but felt that it would have been too urban in nature, and there's no broader regional identity up here. The Skåne Party might work the best, but as you can see, they haven't broken through in this universe (yet). Yes, Danielsson - who I haven't heard about before looking up a suitable Eurocrat - is a clear Monti-analogue here.

Taking the liberty to repost, now with a better P&R colour:

Switalia.png

That's reasonably pants. I particularly like Betnér as Grillo, it works perfectly.

The party name incidentally makes me wonder what would've happened if Grillo had tried to name his party "VAFFANCULO!".

That's reasonably pants. I particularly like Betnér as Grillo, it works perfectly.

The party name incidentally makes me wonder what would've happened if Grillo had tried to name his party "VAFFANCULO!".

Better in the short term, worse in the long term, is my guess.

I couldn't fit a serious-but-cringey name like "Femstjärnerörelsen" with Magnus Betnér. When he'd have lost it, he'd have lost it big time.

Would it even be legal?

So, seat count doesn't add up anymore across all UK boxes, as I've revised the numbers and just need to update the old boxes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

real_progress__uk____2068_c_e__by_machinekng-dadv0et.png

Following the humiliating rejection of the New Party's maximal platform by the ballot in '45, some New Party leaders decided it was time to jump ship. To them, the New Party had gone as far as it could to promote progressive values and new economic ideas, and that continued partnership with the Zentrum would do little good. Styling itself as "true" progressive party, REAL Progress runs to the left of the New Party and to the right of the Party of Regions. While there was little appetite for this rhetoric in the 40s and 50s, the party has grown since then, becoming the 5th largest party in the UK. REAL supports many proposed Party of Regions reform proposal, but ultimately the party was edged out of being able to participate in the coalition by the New Party, who threatened to withdraw support and let the government fall.

Another important partner of REAL is the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland, who joined the party in '54, the year after the Ulster Unionist Party merged into the Party of Regions. While only the fourth largest party in Northern Ireland, REAL has seen continuing support, and has formed a coalition government with the Party of Regions in the Northern Ireland assembly.

REAL receives many of the same criticizes that plague Post-Liberal and Progressive parties across Europe. Accusations of condescension, conspiratism, and subservience to business interests have hammered REAL, especially as they posture as a authentic progressive choice, as opposed to a Zentrum party like the New Party.

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
I think it makes sense as a top-down sort of thing. My main influences were Usenet and file directories - did those influence yours as well?

Having grown up in the WWW era, I often forget that Usenet was a thing. This is so fantastic. I love it. :D

So, seat count doesn't add up anymore across all UK boxes, as I've revised the numbers and just need to update the old boxes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

real_progress__uk____2068_c_e__by_machinekng-dadv0et.png

Following the humiliating rejection of the New Party's maximal platform by the ballot in '45, some New Party leaders decided it was time to jump ship. To them, the New Party had gone as far as it could to promote progressive values and new economic ideas, and that continued partnership with the Zentrum would do little good. Styling itself as "true" progressive party, REAL Progress runs to the left of the New Party and to the right of the Party of Regions. While there was little appetite for this rhetoric in the 40s and 50s, the party has grown since then, becoming the 5th largest party in the UK. REAL supports many proposed Party of Regions reform proposal, but ultimately the party was edged out of being able to participate in the coalition by the New Party, who threatened to withdraw support and let the government fall.

Another important partner of REAL is the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland, who joined the party in '54, the year after the Ulster Unionist Party merged into the Party of Regions. While only the fourth largest party in Northern Ireland, REAL has seen continuing support, and has formed a coalition government with the Party of Regions in the Northern Ireland assembly.

REAL receives many of the same criticizes that plague Post-Liberal and Progressive parties across Europe. Accusations of condescension, conspiratism, and subservience to business interests have hammered REAL, especially as they posture as a authentic progressive choice, as opposed to a Zentrum party like the New Party.
Post-Liberal and Paleoliberal? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.