Alternate State Names of the United States

If they were to keep the same borders (or very similar ones to OTLs), personally I like:

Miami for Ohio
Auraria (or a variant) for Colorado
Cheyenne for Wyoming (I know its the capital but it could work as the State's name as well). Another capital that works and I like is Boise for Idaho (or something around there).
Columbia for Washington
Platte for Nebraska
Itasca for Minnesota (or the norther half of it).
Yellowstone for Montana (It kinda sounds stupid a state named like that but somehow it has an OK ring to it for me. Mitseadazi could also work as a bastardization of the Minetaree name for the river).

Colorado for Arizona/Southern California
Sacramento for Northern California

Fremont for everything out of the Oregon territory.
Sabine for anything around Louisiana/East Texas

Louisiana could be anything made up from the Louisiana Territory (Arkansas being named that has a bit or irony to it).

President's names and ALT President's names are always a good option.

Franklin west Tenn.

Don't you mean East Tennessee? Eastern Tennessee was the site of the original State of Franklin, and the Unionists proposed the State of Franklin as a counter-secession at the beginning of the ACW.

Anyways, I propose the State of Franklin consisting of most of the Eastern Tennessee counties, and a State of Jefferson out of Northern California and Southern Oregon.

Also, the Florida Keys should become the Conch Republic, just for the hell of it. :D

Don't you mean East Tennessee? Eastern Tennessee was the site of the original State of Franklin, and the Unionists proposed the State of Franklin as a counter-secession at the beginning of the ACW.

Anyways, I propose the State of Franklin consisting of most of the Eastern Tennessee counties, and a State of Jefferson out of Northern California and Southern Oregon.

Also, the Florida Keys should become the Conch Republic, just for the hell of it. :D

yes sorry :eek: oh well how about east and west Carolina based on the fall line

If the USA conquers Mexico entirely, the area around Mexico City might become a state called Old Mexico, as opposed to New Mexico. With all of the Southwest and OTL 2011 Mexico being called 'Mexico'. (obviously that wouldn't be a state, just a region.)

It is east Tennessee. And there is always Transylvania for West Tennessee

Here are some of the alternate names I've used in my Course of Human Events TL:
Pembina (OTL North Dakota)
Platte (OTL Nebraska)
Wabash (OTL Indiana)
Sierra (Northern half of OTL California)
Santa Fe (OTL New Mexico)
Wasatch (OTL Utah)
Indiana (OTL Wyoming)
Cimarron (OTL Oklahoma minus the western panhandle)
Comancheria (western OTL Texas + western Oklahoma)
Boise (southern OTL Idaho + far eastern Oregon)
Paluice (eastern OTL Washington + northern Idaho; came to be spelled Palouse in OTL)
Rococima (OTL colorado, a name I created by combining the Spanish words rocosos & cima, roughly meaning rocky summit)

Other names that could be used are:
Kanawha (for West Virginia - very nearly became its name)
Dubuque (for Iowa)
Manitou (for northern Wisconsin + the western UP of Michigan)
Ponchartrain or Cadillac (for the LP of michigan)
Owashtenong (for an Indian protectorate in Michigan's LP)
Upper Connecticut (OTL Vermont - requires an early POD)

One of the old Mexican states I had invented in one of my newest TLs was called Juarez at one point..........not sure if it'll remain or not, though.

And a few state names I had in 'Latino America':

1. Tamaulipas-This was basically most of South Texas, just without Houston or Brazoria.
2. Patosee-OTL Zacatecas and Potosi, with a faux Cherokee/Creek/Southern flair.
3. Nevada-OTL's Colorado.
4. Washington-OTL's Iowa, but extending just a little more southward.
5. Vandalia-A small part of northern Ark. with a good chunk of southern Mo.
6. Lincoln-Idaho, but not extending anywhere north of the 46th parallel.
7. Jackson-OTL's southern Ala. + Miss.
8. Montezuma-This was a HUGE state replacing OTL Utah and Nevada-From Salt Lake in the east, all the way west to roughly halfway between the 118th and 119th meridians west.
9. Belizia-Pretty much self-explanatory, right? ;)
10. Dominica-Same here.........no Haiti, either.
11. Toluca-This was the last superstate and included much of OTL's central Mexico, not the least of which was the former Estado de Mexico.

Haven't really gotten to work on this one, and in fact, it's been shelved for a while. Might be able to post a map sometime, though{if I haven't already}. :)

I have a few ATL US states in Up With the Star:

1)
Franklin (August 28th 1864)
2) Grant (parts of OTL South Dakota, Montana, and Idaho) (31 May 1883)
3) Lincoln (the rest of OTL South Dakota and North Dakota) (5 September 1886)
4) Jackson (OTL Washington) (4 April 1887)
5) Sherman (the rest of OTL Idaho and Wyoming merged into one state)
(3 September 1889)
6) Sequoyah (1 October 1889)
7) Deseret (following a pretty lengthy confrontation between Mormons and the US government due to selective application of the stronger secular trends of the ATL) (3 October 1890)
8) Montezuma (OTL Arizona) (5 August 1908).

Other ATL states were admitted with OTL names at OTL dates. So I didn't exactly count them.

Gichigam, or Kitchigumee, or some other alternate spelling of the same for anything consisting of lots of Lake Superior shoreline (along with an alternation of the lake's name as well).

Michillimackinac for any land including Mackinac Island.

Mendota for any state centered around the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi.

A more Catholic government might create a St. Louis for Missouri, and/or a St. Peter (earlier European name for MN river) for Minnesota.

Gichigam, or Kitchigumee, or some other alternate spelling of the same for anything consisting of lots of Lake Superior shoreline (along with an alternation of the lake's name as well).

Michillimackinac for any land including Mackinac Island.

Mendota for any state centered around the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi.

A more Catholic government might create a St. Louis for Missouri, and/or a St. Peter (earlier European name for MN river) for Minnesota.

Is there any way to combine Kentucky and Tennessee into one state? Or at least have Western Kentucky and Western Tennessee be one state and Eastern KY and Eastern TN another state?

And ideas on names?

Is there any way to combine Kentucky and Tennessee into one state? Or at least have Western Kentucky and Western Tennessee be one state and Eastern KY and Eastern TN another state?

And ideas on names?

Eastern Kentucky and much of Eastern Tennessee almost became Transylvania in the 1770s. How about Cumberland for Western TN & KY?

Michigan is instead named Arnold

Connecticut names it's territory in the midwest Arnold, after the revolutionary war hero and native son who died at the battle of Quebec.

Michigan is instead named Arnold

Connecticut names it's territory in the midwest Arnold, after the revolutionary war hero and native son who died at the battle of Quebec.

Thankfully Connecticut relinquished its western land claims before this happened.;) Besides, Connecticut's claim was to northern Ohio & Indiana.

Thankfully Connecticut relinquished its western land claims before this happened.;) Besides, Connecticut's claim was to northern Ohio & Indiana.

The battle of Quebec happened about a decade before the Western territories were ceded.

Edit: And Michigan was indeed a part of the territorial claims.

True enough, but none the less, only the southern-most part of OTL Michigan, south of the 42nd Parallel, was part of Connecticut's western claim.